Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Dark Souls 2 To Be More Open-ended; Players Can Start "Halfway Through"

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Dark Souls 2; From Software; Yui Tanimura

In an interview with DigitalSpy, Dark Souls 2 director Yui Tanimura has said that the game is going to be more open-ended than its predecessor:

"Freedom of exploration is something we want to prioritise for Dark Souls 2, even more so than Dark Souls 1," he told Digital Spy.

"In Dark Souls 1, you were able to travel to several areas, but hopefully for Dark Souls 2, there you have more freedom to explore throughout the game." He continued: "We realise in Dark Souls 1 there were some certain orders, like ringing the bells or going to Anor Londo, which is not necessarily a bad thing. In Dark Souls 2, we're hoping we can provide more freedom so things don't have to necessarily be done in a certain order.

"We're hoping that if the player tries hard enough, or are willing enough, they could even start halfway through the game, depending on how willing or how brave they are."

When discussing how the player approaches the end stages of the game, Tanimura said that while the goal of "trying to cure a curse" is the same, how you reach the latter stages "is dependent on the player". "You won't have to follow a certain line, it will be unique for all players, I think," he said. "It might be an interesting aspect that players will be able to enjoy a little bit more than Dark Souls 1."​

Spotted at Eurogamer

Grimlorn

Arcane
As long as there is a Character Booster in case you get stuck, I'm all for it.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't see how it's different from Dark Souls... you could go to The Catacombs and New Londo right from the start. Those areas are obviously intended to be visited in much later stage.

Having Sen's Fortress locked before you ring both bells felt like a very organic limitation and served as a storytelling mechanism (also, onionbro). Having to place the Lord Vessel to unlock Tomb of Giants and Duke's Archives not so much.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
I don't see how it's different from Dark Souls... you could go to The Catacombs and New Londo right from the start. Those areas are obviously intended to be visited in much later stage.

Having Sen's Fortress locked before you ring both bells felt like a very organic limitation and served as a storytelling mechanism (also, onionbro). Having to place the Lord Vessel to unlock Tomb of Giants and Duke's Archives not so much.

Maybe he means literally more open. Like, instead of the interlocking maze-like levels of Dark Souls, DS2 will have a more traditional overworld structure.

I agree that the golden fog gates were weak points in DaS. Just using a key would have felt better. Hitting a magical plot barrier was one of the few moments in the game that felt contrived.

Flacracker

Educated

Maybe he means literally more open. Like, instead of the interlocking maze-like levels of Dark Souls, DS2 will have a more traditional overworld structure.

I agree that the golden fog gates were weak points in DaS. Just using a key would have felt better. Hitting a magical plot barrier was one of the few moments in the game that felt contrived.

But I fucking love those interweaving of levels in Dark Souls. It it pretty damn impressive to me when a crazy short cut opens up. And the level design doesn't seem forced by those short cuts. It all feels natural.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, I loved the crazy shortcuts too. Some more open areas would be fun, but I do hope they keep the awesome "it all fits together" feel of the original. Just remember Sen's Fortress - weren't you glad that you can ride almost all the way up in a cage instead of going through all those motherfucking swinging axes? Or cut short through Valley of the Drakes to reach Blighttown?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
If this means placing a badass monster guarding the passageway instead of just a dull locked door/magic plot fog, I'm 100% sold.

:thumbsup:

Lerk

Learned

The weird thing about the Catacombs is by they time you're "supposed" to go there, it's faceroll easy. That always stuck out as weird to me, because the game was otherwise pretty tight with its level progression.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Some random speed runner just got a hard on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom