Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dan Vavra presents: "100 reasons, why I hate Skyrim."

dannyfx1

Cipher
\\\

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Daniel.Vavra Make an English version of this and it gets a newspost (and you get sued :smug: )

Also wrong forum, OP is a fag, etc

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dan vavra said:
I have finished Oblivion, Fallout 3 and even Fallout: New Vegas.
I like how he implies than FNV is worse than Oblivion and FO3 in the first sentence, making it easy to ignore the rest of the text, due to author's complete lack of good judgement.
So much time saved.
:bro:

EDIT: wrong translation, apparently.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I like having someone with a bit of exposure saying stuff like this, gives me a bit of hope.

Still, the 100-list format seems like a bad move here, as it dissolves the argument into tiny pieces and makes it look like he is just nit-picking a bunch of stuff instead of having a really strong point.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Heh, takes me back to the last time Daniel posted on the Codex and got into a huge argument about the definition of an RPG. Wonder if he'll ever visit again.

I like how he implies than FNV is worse than Oblivion and FO3 in the first sentence, making it easy to ignore the rest of the text, due to author's complete lack of good judgement.
So much time saved.

I'm no Czech expert, but I think that the original article doesn't put it that way :roll:

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
I haven't played Skyrim and i'm guessing that this was translated in google translate or something, but what's the meaning of

"What is worst that graphic designers in Bethesda are still able to map on a side of pole wood and the other side concrete"

?

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
1. This is a rant and not a very smart one.
2. It makes Vavra look like a D-bag and a graphic whore.

So i guess the question is : does he plan to outtodd Todd or is it just an awkward, angry way to dismiss the omnipresent reference in open-world gaming (or both) ?

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
this was translated in google translate

nope. It was translated by human brain.

What is worst that graphic designers in Bethesda are still able to map on a side of pole wood and the other side concrete

You can add preposition " ...and on the other side of the pole map concrete ". The meaning is obvious anyway and it is needless repetition of which was already said. It is a coherent sentence :smug: .
i just don't understand what that means. what happens in skyrim that marks wood on one side and concrete on the other?

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Speaking of graphics and shadows:

Does anyone else think the shadowing done in Dragon's Dogma was done decently?

SoupNazi

So much time saved.

I'm no Czech expert, but I think that the original article doesn't put it that way :roll:
It's not; he says:
"I played Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas. I love western RPGs."

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Can't wait to see the Oblivion-like game he's working on now. Going to bet it suffers from at least half of those flaws he's listed.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Can't wait to see the Oblivion-like game he's working on now. Going to bet it suffers from at least half of those flaws he's listed.

IIRC he's working on a non-fantasy medieval RPG.
When I read about it some months ago I thought this is either gonna be absolutely brilliant or (more likely) end up being the mother of all hiking simulators.

DraQ

Arcane
So I expect a good article detailing Skyrim's many horrible failings...
Oh.

1. Bethesda didn't fix, what was broken and broke things, that had worked. GUI was totally fine and precisely, that is what Bethesda decided to change and she succeeds at creating something, what doesn't work on console, nor personal computer, has diminished general functionality and looks ugly.
  2. You cannot sort out loot! You cannot sort out loot! You cannot sort out loot!
  3. GUI is confusing and takes up too much space.
  4. If you pick up an item, you don't need, it is very difficult to find it among tenths of other use-full items in your inventory.
  5. Spells are missing timer and visible effect representation
  6. Everything you want to use ( spells, items, weapons ) must be searched for in imbecile inventory.
  7. The Favorites menu, which is present to rectify constant inventory search is even worse compared to the inventory and even induces stuttering, when it queries a large database of items.
Those are actually true, but still given how horrible Skyrim UI is, it baffles that only 7 out of 18 criticisms would be actually damning.

1. A world map made in 3D is a good idea, but execution in Sky rim is a confusing chaos.
  2. Interior maps in a shape of brown stains somehow automatically generated are total tragedy.
  3. Compass is a hell of overlays, where your marker, which should help you orientate and solely has different color from white, isn't even visible at certain distance and when zoomed in, it is lost under other markers, so it is not help-full at all.
  4. A newly acquired quest never marks as active and you have to go to menu and activate it. Exactly opposite, that is norm.
  5. When you dive, you don't see a breath meter.
  6. Stamina and magicka bar behaves as always, but health bar diminishes from both sides. Why?
  7. The help-full and well arranged statistic menus from Oblivion are gone. Majority of data is hard to find and/or practically unreachable.
  8. Perks are hard to navigate in a level up "Galactic view". The game deliberately jumps from one to another and picking the right one feels often like an annoying mini game.
"Meh" category - stuff that's either ambiguous, mildly bad, or better than the alternative in the context.
Compass with fuckloads of icons is shit anyway and kills exploration, so who cares if it shows the markers or not - the best you can do is switching it off with a mod anyway.
Map, or perk menus are indeed form-over-function but I'd consider them usable enough. Then again, maybe enduring the intense, excessive horror of the inventory, favourites, and spell menus has desensitized me to bad design.
Lack of breath meter or funny way of showing health damage are inconvenient, but hardly crippling - count how many old FPS games had underwater breath meter.
Given how this game drops quest hooks on your lap and how much of a clusterfuck the journal is, you should be happy that every quest received doesn't automatically set itself as active, or you wouldn't see the map from under all the fucking markers.

1. If you want to cancel an action, you cannot simply press B/CANCEL. A menu pops up, similar to when you want to perform a hard-disk format and you have to choose CANCEL/NO and confirm with A button. Incredible annoyance.
  2. which could be forgiven, if was the save menu better accessible.
  3. Bethesda simply left out any decent auto save feature...
"Bwuh?" category - must be some derpy consoletard shit or something.
On PC you have quicksave and the game fucking autosaves if you go into inventory after a longer while of not doing so. It's configurable too.

GRAPHIC DESIGN, ANIMATION AND SOUND.
I'm not going to step by step that, but it's either false "waah! Skyrim has fugly designed environments and speedtree looked better!", nitpicking "waah! I have skewed camera angle when I wake up on a prisoner wagon!", cpt. Obvious "waah Bethpizda does buggy unoptimized games since 1995!" or doesn't single Skyrim out "waah! texture resolution is shit and bumpmaps are even shittier!".

I expected something intelligent, detailing why exactly it was horribly Moronic for beth to drop attributes, spellmaker and some skills, why you shouldn't be omgchosenone right after joining every guild, why dragons as Cliffracers 2.0 are the exact opposite of awesome, and why dumbing down isn't the way to go.

I got graphics whoreism and potshots at skyrim's shitty UI, with a lot of misses even against such an easy target.
:declining:

DraQ

Arcane
consoletard shit

He apparently played on PS3.
Consoletard consoletard is consoletard.

Developer in particular should have known better than to get a TES game for anything but PC.

Complaint about intro sequence is particularly derp, because it boils down to "WAAAH! bethesduh should redo a not-insubstantial part of the gameworld because I dislike how camera works on the wagon".
If only Skyrim was flawless to the point of there being no ways to drive it into the ground but by nitpicking some inane and unimportant shit, but there are!

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Syphilis. A disease that makes you insane and die in terrible pain. The 'majority of men would not hold back'.

Stopped reading right there. Fuck the retard writer (or not, he's probably infected).

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Honestly, I play Skyrim. Why, if it is so terrible? Because for people, who like open world role playing games, there is no other choice. It is similar to a situation, if you have dwelt at a desert island with a beautiful blonde girl. Truly gorgeous babe. Her only minor annoyance would be her crooked yellow teeth, her smelling breath and the fact, that she is complete retard and infected with syphilis. I can understand, that after long time without sex, majority of men won't hold back, but that still doesn't justify declaring such female a shinning beacon of womanhood, wits and health. It is simply not true. The thing to consider after years spent at the island is, that you are not able to imagine such clever, beautiful and healthy woman anymore. Skyrim is like that blonde girl. It is not the best, but it is only choice at a deserted island of western role playing games. If you need to play open world role playing game, you'll be begging Bethesda to let you.

Fucking pathetic apologist and retard. "OH! I totally hate this game, it's so shit! I just play it because there is no other game like that! Fallout, Arcanum, Gothic, Risen, Baldur's Gate, Morrowind and so on do not exist, therefore Skyrim is the only open world RPG! Don't hate me, I have no other choice but to play this!!!"

This guy is dumb as shit.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's probably a clumsy and crude and stupid and objectionable attempt to 'relate' to the expected audience of the article. Good luck with that *sound of hydraulic door closing hermetically*

DeepOcean

Arcane
He is just too much nitpicky, trying to score I'm cool points. He is right, but he is only trying to get attention, anyone with taste already know those issues and the retards are going to say: LEAVE SKYRIM ALONE!!! . The media is too busy sucking Bethesda for those sweet publisher moneys. He is just risking burning bridges with an important publisher to say nothing new. If he want to prove that he is better than Bethesda he should prove it by releasing his kinda vapourware game and if it is awesome, we would have something to show instead of just empty posturing.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Brace yourselves, men! Ho, thar swim the great whale! Glistening, blubberous flesh at once reeking and aromatic. It moves beneath our sun, the keeper of the dial, the mover of our world. Kin we not resist? Why are we drawn to such a beast? This ugliest of sirens? What else does it hold, for we can only see thar upon its face hieroglyphics. Interpretations elusive. Beliefs dogmatic. Man can't hold its shapes, much less grasp them. Presentation makes us licentious. Let it dive! Let it go! But we can't. Thar before us the great white whale!

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
There are literally dozens of perfectly valid reasons to hate Skyrim, and this guy decides to skip most of them in favour of nitpicking extremely trivial mistakes or design missteps.

DraQ

Arcane
There are literally dozens of perfectly valid reasons to hate Skyrim, and this guy decides to skip most of them in favour of nitpicking extremely trivial mistakes or design missteps.
This. There are tons of truly bad shit in Skyrim, many of them perfecly valid grounds for hate.

Personally I quite like it, because it's overall way better than Oblivion, has some actual atmosphere, character and, well, structure to it, and unlike Oblivion it pays more than lip service to the prequels, but there is no hiding that in terms of a lot of things (mechanical mostly) it declined even further.

Meanwhile, other than the criticisms of horrible UI (and not even all of them being valid!) the guy just herpaderps while completely missing the point.

For instance redoing the wagon ride would require reshaping a sizable chunk of Skyrim's geography, because Helgen happens to be situated in mountainous region, or re-recording all the NPC speech and re-scripting it to take part in some other part of Skyrim, dropping the content created for that settlement, then design actual content for Helgen. All this because esteemed Dan Vavra dislikes the camera. No, fuck you.

Another thing would be graphics, which I consider quite gorgeous. Sure, there is not disputing it runs on dated engine, designed to run on 7y.o. hardware, and cuts in terms of the amount of polygons and such are evident, but the game makes astonishingly good use of its resources, especially compared to oblivious which used all its raw graphical power to effectively place a giant shiny turd on your screen. Apart from water Morrowind wasn't praised for its graphics because of special effects and amount of polys pushed around either.
Animations may be buggy, but there are new and refreshing procedural elements to them and they are still better than what could be expected based on Beth's track record. :insert video of MW and oblivious characters running around here:

For me among the worst things about Skyrim is how well would some of the discarded mechanics work in it. For example:

You can cast runes that activate when the enemy gets close on various surfaces?
Awesome! Let me create rune spell that drains willpower and fires off AoE paralysis, or maybe deals AoE damage instead, then raises everything it killed as zombies under my command to finish the rest!
MUAHAHA... oh.
:hmmm:
Wait...
:rage:
BETHESDAAAAAA!!!!

:x

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom