Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Daggerfall Unity isnt Vaporware

Miles Davis or John Coltrane?

• Miles Davis

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • John Coltrane

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • Kenny G (kc response)

Votes: 68 41.5%

• Total voters

Modron

Arcane
You could actually travel pretty fast in Daggerfall specially as you got faster, just run and jump everywhere no need for horses.

Luzur

Good Sir
dunno if this has been updated:

**UPDATE**
I have enough people to test now, I will post another update next week. I will also make an announcement once the testing has actually started.

So I’ve been back to work on the actual gameplay side of things. I’m currently working on getting character generation to 100% completeness (class questions, all the UI working properly, custom class generation). After that I have to complete the Quest system.
Anyway, due to reverse engineering efforts, the “Pure Mode” will be really close to the original (source port close) – with the addition of fixing game breaking bugs. To that end I plan on having a small closed testing period, with just the Pure Mode enabled, in the next couple of weeks. The goal will be to a)make sure it works on a sampling of computers, b) make sure that there aren’t any critical bugs that make it into the broader release (game doesn’t start, black screen, crashes, etc.) and c) make sure the game is fully playable (even beatable if you’re fast enough to get through before the testing period ends).
While this testing is being done, I’ll finish up other elements needed for the Beta release (settings and options, remaining high-end terrain work, etc.). The full Beta release will be available to everyone, of course.
So I’ll probably enlist about 8 people from here for this initial phase, which will start in a couple of weeks. Just post in theforum threadwith this same name. Make sure you are willing to test, accept that thismay be buggy and understand that only the Pure Mode will work (i.e. no fancy graphics, no advanced terrain, etc.). If you are interested, just post a response in the forum thread with system specs (you can PM me the specs if you aren’t comfortable posting them publicly). Also this isonly DaggerXL, though there will be similar tests for the other big releases as well.

also, about the video:

What you see in the video is just the basic system up and running. I plan on having procedurals based on biome, some erosion to refine the shape of the large scale heightmap, proper distribution of foliage/objects, more forests/jungles, rivers, roads, locations visible to the horizon, localized ground fog/weather conditions and much more. :D
Of course, this is all optional too. So you can still play using vanilla terrain if so desired (see the blog post for more details).

MCA
If this thing is finished some day and is moddable, I'll personally invest the time to create mods.

First to fix the lube-in lube-out exploits of combat
Then to improve some of the game mechanics
And then to add simple multiple-solution quests making use of the vanilla game systems, one at a time.
And maybe, hopefully, expand vanilla main quest-line to be more meaningfully diverse and less of a dungeon romp edit: actually, I just remembered that the main quests themselves about equally took place in dungeons and cities-towns.

I love the guts of this game so much. It deserves more attention and play-time.

Xi

Arcane
This is so epic. Plus, all the fan made art replacements are glorious too. Can't wait. It will be a modern version of an old game, retro style, with all the gameplay glory.

Edit:

I haven't checked on this project in a while, wow! Looks like you can run a web browser from within the engine's UI now, and thus browse RPGCodex while you play Daggerfall (Wiithout minimizing). ;P

Luzur

Good Sir
i think i forgot to update this for awhile:

postdateicon.png
July 14, 2013 |
postauthoricon.png
Author luciusDXL
I originally promised an update this week. Unfortunately there isn’t a lot to tell, I’m still hammering away at the goal of completing the gameplay functionality for the Beta. I should make some good progress next week with the closed testing starting shortly afterwards – I already have enough testers lined up for this (see the previous blog post). My plan is to have a gameplay video up next week, showing the “Pure Mode” in action – showing things like proper NPC behavior, quests and so forth.
icon_smile.gif

This is a short post this time but I’m planning on having a blog post per week from here on out (or more when warranted), though some may be short and informal like this one.

also, Lucius has been on a trip, so thats why its been kinda....silent.

Luzur

Good Sir
Three years later, it is coming closer.

well he is a one-man team, and have a job (computer assistant? cant remember) so its to be expected.

and frankly i rather have one ûber-dedicated man on the job then a shallow, random-guy-for-coder-every-week team ala Might and Magic Tribute.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Given how he's been saying it's about to come out for months now, every time this thread is bumped I get a little hard. Then it's nothing and I get fucking blue balls.

Eyeball

Arcane
I can think of literally NO video game release I look forward to more than this.

Is there any way of sending this gentleman Money in order to motivate him to finish the motherfucking thing?

Eyeball

Arcane
Thanks, threw him some change. I fully expect him to be done before the end of the NeXT working week or I shall demand my Money back!

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Because there is no newer thread about Daggerfall, regarding the not XL one, I got a bug and I'm wondering:

I got a quest from the Mage's Guild about killing a rogue wizard in a certain dungeon. Cleared such a dungeon very throughly from enemies as nasty as one ancient lich(one hell of a fight) without finding any named hostile NPC and the quest giver simply stopped reacting after giving the quest(as in clicking in the "talk" or "get quest" buttons from him do nothing after it, not even opening basic character dialogue). Is there any way to fix it or will I have to start a new character if I want to continue progressing in the Mage's Guild because of the mistake of overwriting the save before taking the quest because that quest giver will be locked forever?

Are you running directly from Windows XP/Vista/7? If I remember correctly, there's a nasty bug with Daggerfall and the NT file-system that makes quest objectives disappear or become invisible. Not sure is fixable without running DOSBox.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
the quest giver simply stopped reacting after giving the quest...Is there any way to fix it or will I have to start a new character if I want to continue progressing in the Mage's Guild because of the mistake of overwriting the save before taking the quest because that quest giver will be locked forever?
Did you try to let time pass until the quest is considered failed to see if the questgiver talks anew ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom