Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Daggerfall Unity isnt Vaporware

Miles Davis or John Coltrane?

• Miles Davis

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • John Coltrane

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • Kenny G (kc response)

Votes: 68 41.5%

• Total voters

roll-a-die

Magister
perma death in a bethesda game? you are fucking crazy.
That's how I roll when I play Daggerfall anymore. 1 save, 1 death, completely delete the saves on death. Using non-lulzIAMIMMORTAL builds I've managed to get around 3/4s of the way through it before getting trapped in the void walking down a hallway with a slight slope. I ruled him dead of a pit trap. Haven't played Daggerfall since. That character was after I had 3 consecutive characters clip through the meshes in Privateers Hold/The Tutorial Dungeon and get stuck for eternity.

I play most elder scrolls games this way anymore. Makes you feel more invested. I used to have a mod where I added all of my characters corpses to the hall of incarnates with a sign hastily scrawled in daedric that said something along the lines of "Rejects." It got to around 50 corpses and then morrowind would lag to shit on entry so I deleted the mod rather than trying to create corpsepile meshes with my nonexistent 3d modeling skills. I'm seriously worse than prosper at that.

PetrusOctavianus

Educated
That's how I roll when I play Daggerfall anymore. 1 save, 1 death, completely delete the saves on death. Using non-lulzIAMIMMORTAL builds I've managed to get around 3/4s of the way through it before getting trapped in the void walking down a hallway with a slight slope. I ruled him dead of a pit trap.

:what:

My god, that is retarded! "LARP"ing a glitch in a buggy game engine as "dead of a pit trap"?!?

Kahlis

Cipher
Sad how consolified some people are. I was a consoletard not two years ago and even I don't find Daggerfall to be particularly difficult. You can run through the first dungeon in about five minutes if you know what you're doing. As for the rest of the game, it's mostly a matter of paying attention.
How can we more easily convert more of your former kinsmen? I have a consoletard friend who doesn't like Morrowind (or any Bethesda games) because he finds the open world too intimidating and without direction, even in the later ones with railroading... :0/5:

Kahlis

Cipher
Do people not realize that's the exact same state DaggerXL was at like two years ago, before he decided to start over so that his engine would be more modular and accommodating of Dark Forces/Outlaws/Blood/Tetris? I mean I support the guy's endeavor but I think he's on his way to becoming the next Cleve. He posted on Doomworld once asking if Doom needed another source port, if he's ever played the game or looked at the community for even 5 minutes he'd know that with over two decades of royal source port lineage, ZDoom derivatives and standardized DECORATE/map formats between ports, nobody needs some random new outlier DoomXL port for that game.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Sad how consolified some people are. I was a consoletard not two years ago and even I don't find Daggerfall to be particularly difficult. You can run through the first dungeon in about five minutes if you know what you're doing. As for the rest of the game, it's mostly a matter of paying attention.
How can we more easily convert more of your former kinsmen? I have a consoletard friend who doesn't like Morrowind (or any Bethesda games) because he finds the open world too intimidating and without direction, even in the later ones with railroading... :0/5:

That is beyond scary. :retarded:

Kukulkan

Learned
Do people not realize that's the exact same state DaggerXL was at like two years ago, before he decided to start over so that his engine would be more modular and accommodating of Dark Forces/Outlaws/Blood/Tetris? I mean I support the guy's endeavor but I think he's on his way to becoming the next Cleve. He posted on Doomworld once asking if Doom needed another source port, if he's ever played the game or looked at the community for even 5 minutes he'd know that with over two decades of royal source port lineage, ZDoom derivatives and standardized DECORATE/map formats between ports, nobody needs some random new outlier DoomXL port for that game.
What he's doing is more characteristic of Vincent D. Weller.

roll-a-die

Magister
That's how I roll when I play Daggerfall anymore. 1 save, 1 death, completely delete the saves on death. Using non-lulzIAMIMMORTAL builds I've managed to get around 3/4s of the way through it before getting trapped in the void walking down a hallway with a slight slope. I ruled him dead of a pit trap.

My god, that is retarded! "LARP"ing a glitch in a buggy game engine as "dead of a pit trap"?!?
It's more that was the third time it happened on that day, and I remembered how much Daggerfall was shit.

PetrusOctavianus

Educated

It's more that was the third time it happened on that day, and I remembered how much Daggerfall was shit.

OK, I though you were so ultra hard core that you tipped over into retarded.

roll-a-die

Magister

OK, I though you were so ultra hard core that you tipped over into retarded.
Believe me I often tip over into full retard. This wasn't one of the cases. Daggerfall is just a bad example of a good game, like most of the TES series. I really wish someone would take the TES model and do it properly.

Divinity: Original Sin
tamrielHeightmap_New.png

Tamriel rebuilt?

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
He needs to keep it in line with Daggerfall's size ratio, I think. He explains it in blog post. You'll never go out there unless you play some weird Tamriel rebuilt DaggerXL mod anyway.

Luzur

Good Sir
The actual height map is over 5000 pixels in width, where each pixel is the same size as the pixels in Daggerfall’s 1000×500 heightmap. Daggerfall is inserted into the correct place, with the rest of the world rotated and scaled to fit. I consider the Daggerfall data to be ‘correct’ since this is for DaggerXL after all, so the Daggerfall data will still be pulled from the original data files, I inserted it into this map so I can fit the map to it rather then the other way around. There are several issues with this map still, I have to fix up coastlines and the Black Marsh area and fit the map to a 500×500 pixel grid, so that Daggerfall takes up exactly 2 grid cells. If you can see off the edge, it’ll wrap to the other side – same for swimming, flying or sailing across an edge. This way only 9 heightmap cells need to be in memory at once in order to render the world. Of course, for now, only the area from Daggerfall will have locations. However part of the intent of this is that you guys will have the rest of Tamriel already available when the modding tools come online. Don’t like parts of the heightmap – you can edit the file and distribute it. If you guys, as a community, come up with the definitive heightmap and it works with the existing Daggerfall data – then I’ll replace this map with that one in the future DaggerXL releases.

a question from the comment section of the blog:

IIRC Daggerfall was said to contain approximately as much land as the UK, so how big is Tamriel at this scale? Maybe the size of Europe?

Lucius´s answer:

Its actually larger the Europe I believe. But in the same “ballpark.”
icon_smile.gif

luciusDXL

Educated
I haven't posted on this site in ages but there are a couple of posts on the blog pertaining to the Beta release of DaggerXL which may be of interest to some people here. The most important post is probably this one: DaggerXL Gameplay. Of course I encourage you to read other posts on the blog as well. :)

I will be showing a gameplay video soon showing the core mechanics for Daggerfall being 100% complete which should be followed by the Beta - within the next couple of weeks.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Somebody should just kidnap Lucius and lock him in a dungeon until he finishes the god damn thing.

[FAKE EDIT] Ho hi thar lucius. Playable beta you say? I guess we'll have to post-pone our kidnapping plan.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
The ultra high poly terrain definitely does not benefit from the extremely low resolution textures and trees, but this is still very impressive. I was also impressed by the shore. I'd like to see how this looks in emulated low resolution mode, which is how I'm going to play.

One problem with extremely far draw distances is that they make you feel like you're moving slowly. I hope you can modify how far you can see, because moving like molasses is a lot more tolerable when you can't actually tell that's how slowly you're going.

Divinity: Original Sin
I can't believe you missed this epic video:

looks like the genesis device video from ST II: Whrath of Khan...

It's amazing. About moving slowly, it could have time accelerator in game, or a visual fast travel...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom