Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Daggerfall Unity isnt Vaporware

Miles Davis or John Coltrane?

• Miles Davis

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • John Coltrane

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • Kenny G (kc response)

Votes: 68 41.5%

• Total voters

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
hmmm..oh yeah. perhaps those were gray. and the khajitt suit were black. I can't recall, been a long time, but window dressing while the music plays on the background is a favorite past time i still can't forget.

dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dummmmmm dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dummmmmm
dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum
dum da dum dum dum dummmm dum.

m_s0

Arcane
I know that two of the four games he's planning to do are sharing the same engine but isn't that a bit much to take up at the same time for a one guy operation? It's a great idea overall, but it probably would be much better to finish what he's already started up to this point

Xi

Arcane
m_s0 said:
I know that two of the four games he's planning to do are sharing the same engine but isn't that a bit much to take up at the same time for a one guy operation? It's a great idea overall, but it probably would be much better to finish what he's already started up to this point

It does seem seriously ambitious. However, the guy has a high stamina stat and keeps churning out updates. That said, it would be awesome if he could pump out a BETA in the next few months and forget about all those other games! lol It will totally suck if he doesn't finish the project, or if it takes him many more years because he's definitely capable of pulling it off. ;P

Topher

Cipher
villain of the story said:
Topher said:
I just hope that it's stable. I've given up on playing Daggerfall because of the constant glitches.

Constant glitches? The most I had back in 1998 were the occasional crashes, once in every 5-10 hours. Nay, the game run pretty good.

I played it when it came out and I don't remember too many issues but the three or so times I've played it over the years have been plagued with glitches, I'd be lucky to even be able to finish a quest.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Topher said:
Topher said:
I just hope that it's stable. I've given up on playing Daggerfall because of the constant glitches.

Constant glitches? The most I had back in 1998 were the occasional crashes, once in every 5-10 hours. Nay, the game run pretty good.

I played it when it came out and I don't remember too many issues but the three or so times I've played it over the years have been plagued with glitches, I'd be lucky to even be able to finish a quest.

Did you use the installer that came with the autorun dosbox shortcut?

I had a good time messing around for a month with that installation with almost zero problems.

Topher

Cipher
On what OS? Windows 98SE was the last OS Daggerfall could natively run on with zero problems. XP is known to cause all kinds of bugs.

XP and Win7. I have the original disk (somewhere?) but haven't tried with that in a while; otherwise, I've used a dosbox version and the download from Bethesda. I remember hearing about an installer somewhere else but I don't think I've tried one out yet. The game always runs great with music and everything but most of the quests seem bugged, known bugs too, and I constantly found that I couldn't complete even simple random merchant quests. I really wouldn't mind so much if I had enough back-up saves but with only six slots I can't find a way to manage because I always run several quests at once.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Topher said:
On what OS? Windows 98SE was the last OS Daggerfall could natively run on with zero problems. XP is known to cause all kinds of bugs.

XP and Win7. I have the original disk (somewhere?) but haven't tried with that in a while; otherwise, I've used a dosbox version and the download from Bethesda. I remember hearing about an installer somewhere else but I don't think I've tried one out yet. The game always runs great with music and everything but most of the quests seem bugged, known bugs too, and I constantly found that I couldn't complete even simple random merchant quests. I really wouldn't mind so much if I had enough back-up saves but with only six slots I can't find a way to manage because I always run several quests at once.
this is the installer, it works great. :salute:

Topher

Cipher
Excidium said:
Topher said:

this is the installer, it works great. :salute:

Cool, I think I'll finally give that a go in the morning. Thanks.

User was nabbed fit

I see you can download a version already (didn't read all 8 pages, sorry). Is it perfectly playable in the current state or is worth waiting a month or two?

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
ViolentOpposition said:
I see you can download a version already (didn't read all 8 pages, sorry). Is it perfectly playable in the current state or is worth waiting a month or two?
I assume you're talking about DaggerXL and not the "classic Daggerfall dosbox installer" mentioned in the posts just above yours. If so, then it's just a demo yet so you'll have to join us and wait some (indeterminate) amount of time for a full version.

JOIN US !
ChaosGate43.jpg

Raapys

Arcane
Ruprekt said:
It's something to do with NTFS i.e. the file system used by win 2000 onward.
Yeah, but it's kinda odd. I experimented a lot with it a few years ago and found that it was actually related to how many hard drive partitions I had. The quest items were visible if I used 3 or 5 partitions or something, but invisible if I used 1, 2 or 4 partitions. Anyway, with the wrong number of partitions it didn't even matter that I installed the game on a Fat32 partition. However, with the right number of partitions I could even run it from a NTFS partition without problems.

Was surprisingly stable too, using VDMSound and one of those "slow down CPU" utilities. Got it running better than I could in Dosbox at that time, but Dosbox was pretty hard on CPUs back then.

User was nabbed fit

Lonely Vazdru said:
ViolentOpposition said:
I assume you're talking about DaggerXL and not the "classic Daggerfall dosbox installer" mentioned in the posts just above yours. If so, then it's just a demo yet so you'll have to join us and wait some (indeterminate) amount of time for a full version.

JOIN US !
ChaosGate43.jpg

Yes, I was.

What is that game in your screenshot? :oops:

User was nabbed fit

Yeah, I saw that. Didn't think it was the name of a game though... thought it was probably just a level or something. But I did the Google and yeah, it's a game alright.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
It's a fine game. The version I liberated all those years ago had a bug in one mission which prevented me completing it iirc.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Great tactical turn-based squad game, I posted this screen because it shows cultists and they keep saying "join us" all the time. You'll know what I mean if you play it. :D
The bug you mention might have been the one related to said cultists when they fire their guns.

Topher

Cipher
Wait... virtual machine? I've heard of it but I've never tried it. It's something like Dosbox for windows games? Will this help me get around those annoying 64bit incompatibility issues?

Raapys

Arcane
Topher said:
Wait... virtual machine? I've heard of it but I've never tried it. It's something like Dosbox for windows games? Will this help me get around those annoying 64bit incompatibility issues?
Well, it emulates a complete computer. You can install whatever OS you want onto it. However, it's also very quick, so games with too-fast-CPU issues will still suffer. It also doesn't have 3D support. There's another emulator which has 3D support(Oracle VM Virtualbox), but the 3D implementation is rather buggy and doesn't work with many games.

But yeah, seeing as you can install whatever OS you want, you'll certainly get around some issues. Personally I haven't had many games I've not been able to get to work in either Dosbox or Win7 though, probably only like two or three. Chaos Gate happens to be one of them, actually, because of said cultist bug.

Twinkle

Liturgist
Virtual PC is kinda shitty, "acquire" VMWare instead. Also, you can get around cultist bug by disabling unit sounds. :M This way CG works OK even under W7 64 bit.

Raapys

Arcane
Twinkle said:
Virtual PC is kinda shitty, "acquire" VMWare instead. Also, you can get around cultist bug by disabling unit sounds. :M This way CG works OK even under W7 64 bit.
Actually, I tried that. Still crashed. Also tried replacing the sound file, deleting it altogether, changing some stuff in other files, etc. Yet the results were entirely random; once it held through the first round of shooting only to crash in the second, mostly it would just crash the second they fired.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom