Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Daggerfall Unity isnt Vaporware

Miles Davis or John Coltrane?

• Miles Davis

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • John Coltrane

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • Kenny G (kc response)

Votes: 68 41.5%

• Total voters

Luzur

Good Sir
Lord Rocket said:
Luzur said:
As long as we're putting in feature requests: how about an improved dungeon generation script that would make slightly more traditional dungeons, ie. divided into discrete levels? These would be a lot less frustrating to navigate, but could still be super huge. Or, just something that would make the dungeons less incredibly convoluted.

Invasion of the Consolites!

Just how smaller would you like the terrain anyway? How many minutes of real-time walking between places?

Anyway, I'd rather see random encounters when you travel recklessly and sleep out.

yeah FFS guyse, go play Oblivion if you want stuff like that.

Who said anything about 'shrinking' anything? All I ever play these days is Stone Soup, so I must like tiny dungeons, right?

NB. I'm pretty sure Oblivion doesn't implement dungeon levels in the Wizardry/Dungeon Master/etc. sense, which is what I was talking about. So nice work Sweden.[/quote]

you are welcome to do that in an add-on later, but nothing is going to be shrunk in Daggerfall, since Daggerfall without insane inducing dungeons isnt Daggerfall at all.

Luzur wrote:
How many minutes of real-time walking between places?

How about zero?
I like to quote section8 now:
"There are some interesting discussions to be had on this topic from a design perspective. At the heart of the problem, you have unnecessary downtime, since moving characters across a map is neither challenging or fun, and with the exception of Dungeon Siege fans, most gamers recognise this."

that isnt my quote, but denizsi's.

also, leave that alone too, i like to hike in my games and hike in my games shall do.

Tails

Arbiter
Luzur said:
you are welcome to do that in an add-on later, but nothing is going to be shrunk in Daggerfall, since Daggerfall without insane inducing dungeons isnt Daggerfall at all.
This.

nomask7 said:
I don't like the level-scaled monster spawns either (scaled, at least approx., to the player's level, when it would be better if they weren't scaled at all ... exploring random dungeons would be more fun when one would have 2-3 level monsters, another would have 10 level monsters).
How this could be better from current system? NPC level scaling in Daggerfal is well done, they still are threat, some can even easily kill you with one/few hit(s) like Lich.

nomask7

Arcane
Tails said:
nomask7 said:
I don't like the level-scaled monster spawns either (scaled, at least approx., to the player's level, when it would be better if they weren't scaled at all ... exploring random dungeons would be more fun when one would have 2-3 level monsters, another would have 10 level monsters).
How could this be better from the current system?
How? How about not finding rats and robbers and nothing else in every dungeon when you're level 1 or 2, and not finding liches and nothing else in every dungeon when you're level 15 or however it works at higher levels. In other words, exploring DIFFERENT dungeons would be rewarding because they would actually BE DIFFERENT, i.e. house DIFFERENT monsters and loot (loot would be scaled to the monster level). Shouldn't be difficult to understand.

Tails

Arbiter
What's wrong, nomask7? being nomask7 again?

Even on beginning and later part of game you still get the basic monsters and stronger ones, when your character has not only high level, silly. Also there are dungeons containing different types of monsters as far I remember. On beginning levels you get rats, bats, robbers and other human stuffie and thingies, orcs, skeletons, imps, bears, also Lich. Not bad as you mentioned.
Loot wouldn't really work out with serious changes in game mechanics. Morrowind did try to do that, and in the end it was shitty poo, since game was also exploitable like (or even more) then Daggerfall.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
nomask7 said:
How? How about not finding rats and robbers and nothing else in every dungeon when you're level 1 or 2, and not finding liches and nothing else in every dungeon when you're level 15 or however it works at higher levels. In other words, exploring DIFFERENT dungeons would be rewarding because they would actually BE DIFFERENT, i.e. house DIFFERENT monsters and loot (loot would be scaled to the monster level). Shouldn't be difficult to understand.

Daggerfall's bestiary is quite limited. If it remains so, at high level I'll take my "vampire/lich and nothing but" dungeon over the "lich/rats/centaurs/spriggans" one anyday. You fight hordes of rats and orcs that die in one swing, I don't.
Adding new monsters would change this and be nice but it's not what Dagger XL is about, for now at least. And it's fine like this, let him "port" the whole original game first. Then, and only then, we'll all circle-jerk over new features.

don_tomaso

Liturgist
About a smaller world-size: The reason I asked this is because apperently the world of DF takes about 2 weeks in RT to travel from east to west. Now I´m sure all hardcore codexers think this is great fun, but as I´m a softcore oblevian-worshiping consoletard, I´d rather have somewhat smaller landscapes. Maybe like a days travel from east2west. But anyhow, I´ll do with fasttravel if it´s not gonna happen :)

About the dungeon-size, I would actually welcome even more complex and diverse dungeons, but with a better map. Maybe several 2d-maps, generated based on the height of the dungeon floors in 3d-space.

Divinity: Original Sin
don_tomaso said:
About a smaller world-size: The reason I asked this is because apperently the world of DF takes about 2 weeks in RT to travel from east to west. Now I´m sure all hardcore codexers think this is great fun, but as I´m a softcore oblevian-worshiping consoletard, I´d rather have somewhat smaller landscapes. Maybe like a days travel from east2west. But anyhow, I´ll do with fasttravel if it´s not gonna happen :)

About the dungeon-size, I would actually welcome even more complex and diverse dungeons, but with a better map. Maybe several 2d-maps, generated based on the height of the dungeon floors in 3d-space.

How would he compress the size of the world with all those cities, inns, dungeons inside provinces that work like states and have hundreds of cities? It would require cuts in all those tiny dots on daggerfall maps.

Can't see this being done without overhauling completely the game. In fact, the work of doing fits more making a new game than upgrading the old daggerfall.

The idea of adding roads, rivers and inns alongside them is much more appealing and it wouldn't deviate from the original proposal.

And by the way, even short sized gameworlds (like oblivion's) has fast travels which we still use, because we do not want to go on wandering around the countryside every time. We want to get where things are happenig. that's why all games have some kind of fast travel.

Daggerfall with its distances, on the other hand, may be the only game where roaming the countryside could be fun, mainly because it would take too long. With this project, having a very long viewdistance, it could be worth to sometimes you wander instead of fast traveling. If only to know if fast traveling is really accurate in game time.

A solution for this I believe is adding a clock so you can double time, like some space simulators, like tie fighter, where to reach a farther destination, instead of fast travel, you'd have a 2X, 4X, 16X speed.

One thing I think it should be upgraded is the NPC interactions, and the quest texts, in order to make them seem less random. Maybe adding new kinds of random quests so they get more varied.

keep the sprites, but make them high resolution. even make 3d models. And keep the old ones. give us the options.

nomask7

Arcane
Lonely Vazdru said:
nomask7 said:

Daggerfall's bestiary is quite limited. If it remains so, at high level I'll take my "vampire/lich and nothing but" dungeon over the "lich/rats/centaurs/spriggans" one anyday. You fight hordes of rats and orcs that die in one swing, I don't.
Adding new monsters would change this and be nice but it's not what Dagger XL is about, for now at least. And it's fine like this, let him "port" the whole original game first. Then, and only then, we'll all circle-jerk over new features.
No, no no!!!!! I wasn't talking about dull "mixed dungeons". I was talking about dungeon monster-spawning in the style of OOO, where some dungeons are low level ones, and some are high-level ones. If you want to try your luck against liches, you should be allowed to do so regardless of your character level. High level monsters shouldn't just magically appear in the world for the first time ever when your character reaches a certain level. They should be there to be found from the beginning. Why explore different random dungeons when they all contain the same level monsters and loot (i.e. scaled to the character level)? It's POINTLESS!!!! CAN*T YOU FUCKING UNDERSTAND!?=

nomask7

Arcane
Darth Slaughter said:
If only to know if fast traveling is really accurate in game time.
Uh, it's not. Trust me. I once travelled from one town to another without using fast travel, and they weren't even particularly close to each other. Took twenty minutes, maybe.

denizsi

Arcane
Ok, feature request: The ability to mark any location on world map and any coordinate in town map so your compass shows a pointer to your mark. Perhaps both, eg. world location marker will only show up only when you leave the town cell and vice versa.

SolipsisticUrge

Educated
I would like to add myself to the long list of congratulatory posts and well-wishing. Excellent effort, and I hope to see this released.

don_tomaso

Liturgist
Darth Slaughter said:
don_tomaso said:

How would he compress the size of the world with all those cities, inns, dungeons inside provinces that work like states and have hundreds of cities? It would require cuts in all those tiny dots on daggerfall maps.

Can't see this being done without overhauling completely the game. In fact, the work of doing fits more making a new game than upgrading the old daggerfall...

I don´t know how the game-world is coded, of course, but if the procedural landscapes and cities are created in seperate ways from each other in the code, which they most likely are, then I see no problem using a scale-variable to the landgeneration without affecting the map, cities or what ever.

deuxhero

Arcane
While the maker is at it, can he make the system indicate what save was my last made? I don't like having to go into the games directory and checking the dates everytime.

luciusDXL

Educated
deuxhero said:
While the maker is at it, can he make the system indicate what save was my last made? I don't like having to go into the games directory and checking the dates everytime.
Already done, when you load the date and time is shown for each save (when the save was made). This was done in version 0.17. :)

Saxon1974

Prophet
Dang I wish this were done for my current play through.

Never played this game much and loving it. Maybe my next playthrough in a couple of years I will use this version.

Nice work so far.

deuxhero

Arcane
luciusDXL said:
deuxhero said:
Already done, when you load the date and time is shown for each save (when the save was made). This was done in version 0.17. :)

Cool! Can I have more than 6 saves?

Luzur

Good Sir

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Yes please ! I've dusted my Daggerfall CD 1000 times now, it's bound to damage it eventually.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Luzur said:
some new monster animation models is in production.
Amazing. Someone seems to understand how to remake graphics without reimagining the wheel. Those look great and 100% faithful to the original. Animation is very smooth too. Very very nice.

Elzair

Cipher
1eyedking said:
Some people really don't like other people touching their work. You've got to respect them, even if they're mostly assholes.

No, you do not.

denizsi

Arcane
Sceptic said:
Luzur said:
some new monster animation models is in production.
Amazing. Someone seems to understand how to remake graphics without reimagining the wheel. Those look great and 100% faithful to the original. Animation is very smooth too. Very very nice.

Indeed. I first thought "it must be some retarded noobs making absurd shit" but the faithfulness to the original material struck me. They still need some little touches, they look too sterile now, but the author indeed "gets" it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom