Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Daggerfall Unity isnt Vaporware

Miles Davis or John Coltrane?

• Miles Davis

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • John Coltrane

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • Kenny G (kc response)

Votes: 68 41.5%

• Total voters

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
OTOH Win 10 and Win 7 upgrades make some old Windows games not work anymore.

I see people say this here and there, but haven't come across it myself or really seen one confirmed. Do you know of any? I have seen people say this a lot of times when it wasn't true, like with Fallout 3 for example.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
With Win 7 I've had at least two games stop working after Win 7 upgrades:

Evil's Doom
Doomsday Engine

May be others too that I've played that will no longer work.
How many were doomed to not work if I upgraded to Win 10 I shudder to think about.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Evil's Doom
Doomsday Engine

How many were doomed to not work if I upgraded to Win 10 I shudder to think about.

One of those is a never officially released Amiga game and the other is a much less popular alternative to ZDoom, so again I think it's a little bit fear-mongering to imply once you upgrade all your games stop working.

mondblut

Arcane
Sometimes you edgelord hipsters give me a conniption. FNV is a great game.

FNV is a shitty no-skills-required FPS. Kinda like, uh, Fallout 3?

Buggy as fuck, but so was Ultima, Krondor, Wizardry all those beardy games you people worship. I had my entire Ultima VII save erased due to a bug with killing Lord British. Oh boy ooh boy some of you need a time machine to go back to how it actually was. Bugs abound and no way to fix them unless you were lucky enough to be in America because a lot of DOS devs wouldn't ship patches on floppies overseas. Maybe you were lucky enough to get a select amount of patches for a handful of games through a cover disc for a magazine. We learnt to either play our games, fix the bugs ourselves, or just return the fucking game.

Most of the games back in the day were shipped without bugs, and never needed patches. The rest were patched maybe once. When Daggerfall came out and had to be patched, like, 6 times in row, it was an outrage. 6 patches in row, wow, that's something typical modern games do within their release day.

Also, by about 1993 everyone remotely advanced was already connected to AOL/Compuserve or to Fidonet/dialup BBSes. And the rest shouldn't have played our games to begin with :obviously:

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Wizardry Empire 1 is one PC game that doesn't work well on post XP Windows, due to deprecation of old D3D.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Evil's Doom
Doomsday Engine

One of those is a never officially released Amiga game and the other is a much less popular alternative to ZDoom, so again I think it's a little bit fear-mongering to imply once you upgrade all your games stop working.

Except I think you may possible be exaggerating a little bit when say "all your games".

Evil's Doom

Update WinUAE? :smug:

It was a ready made package from some potato site.
It worked when I tested it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Except I think you may possible be exaggerating a little bit when say "all your games".

The point is people like yourself spread this idea that modern Windows breaks old games and when pressed for an example those two were the only ones you could come up with. That same type of thing happens every time I have this exchange with people.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I gave you some examples of games I have personal experience with. So I know for a fact that Win 7 upgrades break some games. And I've only tried a very small percentage of Windows games.

I assume other games I've read about are other people's personal experiences.
It's certainly my impression that Win 10 breaks more older games than Win 7 does.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's certainly my impression that Win 10 breaks more older games than Win 7 does.

Which is the exact impression I'm trying to find out whether is FUD or not. That's the whole point. Any forum you go to is filled with people insisting an OS/driver/patch/burrito broke their game. The world is full of idiots. Throw in the sizeable number of people who love to hate on Windows as a hobby and you've got a lovely FUD recipe. So again, my entire point was... is this reputation justified? You've got nothing but repeated rumor to offer, so there's no real point hashing it out further.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Most studios and publishers had BBS going back to the late 80s for cuatomers to retrieve stuff from but they could not risk their reputations on people having modems to retrieve them.

So, two things happened. First, more care was taken to ensure games were bug free before shipping. Second, some bugs that did get addressed were never patched on a lot of customer systems because they didn't know to - other how to - dial into a BBS to download a patch and patch their games.

Luzur

Good Sir
This mod enable the addition of new exterior location to the world of Daggerfall.

Location Loader
The mod file that enables the addition of new exterior locations
LocationLoader 0.3.zip
(32.19 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
Test Location
A collection of example locations
TestLocations.zip
(10.07 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
Locations Loader Source
Source code for the location loader. This also includes the unity editor script that allow you to create your own locations
LocationLoaderSource.zip
(16.9 KiB) Downloaded 16 times

After much work, it is finally done! My goal was for this version was to create a stable base, something that can be build upon, improved and expanded on later.

I decided to separate the the mod into 3 parts
  • The Location Loader, which is a mod file that enable new exterior locations to be added to Daggerfall.
  • A collection of test locations that I created
  • The source code and editor script. The editor scripts allows you to create your own locations and add them to the world.
Features
  • New exterior locations can be added to the world.
  • New locations will use texture, mesh and billboard replacements if available
  • Lamps, candles and campfires will emit light
  • Animals such as cats and dogs will produce sound
  • Editor scrips that makes creating new locations easier
Unfinished features... but started on
  • Loot containers
  • Support for season(winter/summer) changes for billboards
This has been a fun project to work on, especially the editor tools, but I feel a bit fatigued from it and I have come to a point where I don't know how to continue with it. So if there is anyone in the community that would like to help out and contribute, I would be very grateful.
icon_e_smile.gif

In the meantime, I would love to see people trying out the editor tools and creating and sharing the own locations.
icon_e_biggrin.gif

Luzur

Good Sir
Latest version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ewffvvbho546f ... s.zip?dl=0

Hey y'all, joined the forum today after seeing jmanowar's post that he's going on hiatus for a little while - I wanted to pick up some of the work of upscaling the NPC flats, because this is genuinely the part of Daggerfall Unity that I'm most excited about.

L9PKsHV.png

I started with my favorite Daggerfall NPC, both in terms of personality and visual design. I tried to echo the styles of jmanowar and epicurius so that it will be cohesive with the hires sprites already in game, and I wanted to make her face more like her portrait, while also correcting Bethesda's mistake in terms of her race. However, to be honest I'm not terribly experienced with modding Daggerfall, so I'd appreciate any guidance that people can provide as far as turning this into a usable asset, and anyone who'd be willing to playtest it would be fantastic
icon_e_smile.gif
And of course, if there's an interest, I'll keep going with these as long as I'm able.

aai5VxX.png

vvaLz7P.png

pOxL26k.jpg

NgsmwXW.png

Mc7oMTl.png

FMK0JZP.jpg

Gregz

Arcane
From the latest update patch notes:

• Magic Item & Potion Maker crafting stations in progress (Hazelnut) – Work has started on these crafting stations and the general UI is now available. They are not yet completed and currently cannot produce magic items or potions.

:cry:

Latest version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ewffvvbho546f ... s.zip?dl=0

Hey y'all, joined the forum today after seeing jmanowar's post that he's going on hiatus for a little while - I wanted to pick up some of the work of upscaling the NPC flats, because this is genuinely the part of Daggerfall Unity that I'm most excited about.

L9PKsHV.png

I started with my favorite Daggerfall NPC, both in terms of personality and visual design. I tried to echo the styles of jmanowar and epicurius so that it will be cohesive with the hires sprites already in game, and I wanted to make her face more like her portrait, while also correcting Bethesda's mistake in terms of her race. However, to be honest I'm not terribly experienced with modding Daggerfall, so I'd appreciate any guidance that people can provide as far as turning this into a usable asset, and anyone who'd be willing to playtest it would be fantastic
icon_e_smile.gif
And of course, if there's an interest, I'll keep going with these as long as I'm able.

aai5VxX.png

vvaLz7P.png

pOxL26k.jpg

NgsmwXW.png

Mc7oMTl.png

FMK0JZP.jpg
Most redraws look like shit, tbh. The guard has microcephaly, redguard spellseller looks like bix nud parody with his gigantic nose, and the teleportator mage looks stoned out of his mind. Barenziah and Morgiah look p. shit too, although not as retarded as those guys. Only acceptable redraws are the guy with a flute and whatshisname - Eadwyre?

Luzur

Good Sir
Dunno if i posted about this mod or not.

Warm Ashes: Dangerous Dungeon Exteriors

Warm_Ashes.png

This is a silent quest system that runs in the background that selects random dungeons and gives it life. A meaning to explore.
You might find nothing, or you might find a group of bandits, some treasure or maybe you are even being followed yourself.
I hope this gives incentive to explore besides the dungeon's themselves for now you might stumble upon something when you explore!

-A random selection of dungeons, of up to 80, will be chosen.
-Upon finding a location, a random event will occur. Even then, there is a chance of nothing happening.
-Find treasure, find a quest, or stumble upon a group of bandits! Maybe a rare chance to see a Daedra Lord with minions!
-Siege active keeps! (WIP)

Version 1 of Warm Ashes is now out. Please give any feedback! It's in it's very basic form at the moment but it selects up to 80 different random events at dungeons only at the moment. This is my first quest release so just in case I'd start this on a alternate.

Download: Download

OLD Versions:
Version1

Install:
1. Extract the files into your "StreamingAssets/QuestPacks" folder
2. Place the WA01-WAQ04 files into your "/quest/" folder
2. All finished, start a new character and it will activate

Install from a already existing savefile:
1. Extract files into your "StreamingAssets/Quest" folder
2. Open a savefile you'd like to run it in
3. Open the console with the (`) key
4. Type " start quest WAQ00 "
5. All finished

Update Version 2 Focus:
-Simplify the random system with less lines in Quest Document
-
Siege Specific:
-More ways to achieve victory in Siege
-Punish the player for retreating from a Siege
-Randomize the different phase's outcomes in Siege
-Add a rebel group that rewards the PC for taking down Keeps
-
-More Siege/Keep/Ruins/Graveyards/etc Encounters
-Increase the dungeon selection from 80 dungeons to all 3,000+ dungeons
-Extra rewards after successful Siege through a quest
-Increase reset time on days depending on dungeon type
-Implement a time system to make events occur after a set limit
-Add all quests into a pack to automatically run on a new character (Thanks Jay_H for showing me how!)
-Add reputation/Skill checks to determine how it can affect the outcome.
-Minor fixes

Spoiler!
20180529164638_1.jpg

20180529160241_1.jpg

20180529014035_1.jpg

20180526024411_1.jpg

20180528142722_1.jpg

20180521022820_1.jpg

20180529013607_1.jpg

Work on Sieges are going well. Friendly keeps are actually friendly now. If you want to be an evil warlord and piss off your current region, feel free to attack them and start a siege.
file.php

20180530202927_1.jpg (126.22 KiB) Viewed 1175 times
file.php

I got basic Siege functions down for Outcome1. I want to get it working in a basic form before I do anything else.

Sieges will have 4 phases
-The First: Starts the Siege, hordes of enemies will attack the player over time.
-The Second: After an hour has passed, the enemy will call for reinforcements. (After having a base I'd like to ahve random events during this phase and the next. Example: Enemy sends out Tigers, Bears, Centaurs, or maybe they will get no reinforcements at all!)
-The Third: After hour two has past, the leader will appear.
-The Fourth: This Ends the siege. Remaining enemy numbers will stop. Player will be rewarded.

At current moment the only way to win a siege is to survive the two hours. When ready I will implement other ways like taking out the enemy leader, killing so many troops, etc. Then after I'm happy with how sieges turn out overall, I'll begin work on getting paid by rebel forces who want you to clear out keeps for them.
file.php

Warm Ashes Version 1.1 Release:
-Implemented very basic Siege functions
-Random Encounters no longer happen the moment you arrive at an exterior location
-Fixed Spawns for Graveyard variants
-Keeps now reset ever 3 days instead of just 1
-Minor Fixes

file.php

Warm Ashes Version 2:
-All dungeons are supported! The random dungeon selection has been retired and now all dungeons have a chance at random events.
-You can now retreat during a Siege however look out for search parties
-Sieges can now be continued within keeps

20180529044118_1.jpg

Luzur

Good Sir
Daggerfall Unity August 2018
Posted on August 17, 2018 by Interkarma

New Builds For August 2018

New builds are now available on the Live Builds page.

What’s New
  • Implemented custom class creator UI (Numidium) – Note: most advantages/disadvantages still pending implementation as part of effect system rollout
  • Implemented outdoor swimming (MeteoricDragon)
  • Implemented item power information on “Info” messagebox popup (Allofich)
  • Magic items and their powers are now generated in random loot and in merchant shelves (Allofich) – Note: magic item powers are not functional in game yet
Bug Fixes & Improvements
  • Improvements to smooth height changes (MeteoricDragon)
  • Easier to mute sound or music volume (MeteoricDragon)
  • Fixes to crush detection to prevent accidental deaths (MeteoricDragon)
  • Smooth status change feedback added to health, fatigue, spell points bars (MeteoricDragon)
  • Bug fixes to arrow weight handling (Hazelnut)
  • Fix exterior music playing in dungeons and other interiors (Allofich)
  • Fix for music volume incorrectly influencing UI windows (Allofich)
  • Fix for doors rotating incorrectly on load (Allofich)
  • Fix for opening books imported from classic saves (Allofich)
  • Restored several variant changes in item templates overwritten by a previous change
  • Fix for quest parser not detecting end of final message block if empty line not present
  • Clothes in stores now have a random variant assigned
  • Fix for mouse not being captured after alt+tab – clicking in game window should recapture mouse
  • Fixes to “add armor” and “add cloth” console command to correctly use player gender and race
In Progress
  • Implement Illusion effect back-end behaviour – still needs to be wired to front-end effect (Allofich)
  • Certain time-limited items such as summoned items now supported in back-end (Allofich)
  • Started work on potion back-end for recipe handling
Looking to the near future, my personal workload has started to shrink again and I will continue work on rolling out spell effects soon. I somewhat prematurely celebrated my larger July projects wrapping up, only to have some of the smaller projects drag on much longer than expected. We should see a return to more regular incremental updates to magic & effects very soon.

On the plus side, the other developers have continued to work on systems and fix bugs. I’m particularly excited to see the custom class creator and outdoor swimming in this round of builds, as well as magic item drops for loot and stores.

Something that’s hard to describe in point form is all the incremental changes forming the rungs of a ladder towards a fully functional magic system. All of these seemingly minor back-end changes such as potion recipe handling and magic item drops, and magic crafting stations, are all important building blocks towards our goal.

I received a little bit of disappointed feedback when potion and magic item crafting stations came online before potions and magic items were ready to go. And I imagine the feedback will be similar now that magic items are dropping but not yet fully functional. The thing to keep in mind is that once all of these threads come together, the final stages of fully opening up spells, magic item, potions, advantages/disadvantages, diseases, etc. will coalesce very quickly.

I’ve linked the Black Triangles story before, and it’s well worth a read if you haven’t already. It perfectly describes all the work that goes into making the back-end of a game functional while not much interesting is happening on the surface. The same is true of Daggerfall Unity as the various moving parts begin to mesh.

For more frequent updates on Daggerfall Unity, follow me on Twitter @gav_clayton.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom