Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Daggerfall Unity isnt Vaporware

Miles Davis or John Coltrane?

• Miles Davis

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • John Coltrane

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • Kenny G (kc response)

Votes: 68 41.5%

• Total voters

Twinkle

Liturgist
I played a bit with his another project, Dark Forces XL, and it was pretty impressive from graphical standpoint. Sprite weapons and enemies aside graphics were roughly on par with Jedi Outcast.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It needs to be opensource if you want more than one guy working on it.

And you do.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Yeah well, all is fine until someone is hit by a car.

Or do it like the epsxe team that LOST THE SOURCE CODE.

But i forget this uses directx microsoft trap doesn't it? Not much point then except for security.

Edit: It doesn't appear to.

1eyedking

Erudite
Some people really don't like other people touching their work. You've got to respect them, even if they're mostly assholes.

don_tomaso

Liturgist
Check the forums, there are several graphic updates going on, all trying to be faithful to the originals.

He said he is doing this to relax, I think that is why he doesn´t want/feel the need to team up.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
He doesn't need to team up if he doesn't want to. It's just a security measure against fate.

Projects done by one person without access to the source code are fragile.

You only have to look at our friend Drog to see a example.

denizsi

Arcane
Either he or someone here posted about this here when the project has just started. I gave it the usual modder's syndrome treatment, that it was bullshit and would soon get abandoned "due to real life issues". The guy took it a little hard, posted a couple times and disappeared. I've been following his blog since then. He's making good progress but I detect a shitstorm approaching as he'll delve into the actual game mechanics, stats and the mind fucker of a reputation system.

In the end, you all owe me a thanks as well for hardening him early and injecting TRUE motivation in the guy. ie. i'm glad i was wrong

Luzur

Good Sir
denizsi said:
Either he or someone here posted about this here when the project has just started. I gave it the usual modder's syndrome treatment, that it was bullshit and would soon get abandoned "due to real life issues". The guy took it a little hard, posted a couple times and disappeared. I've been following his blog since then. He's making good progress but I detect a shitstorm approaching as he'll delve into the actual game mechanics, stats and the mind fucker of a reputation system.

In the end, you all owe me a thanks as well for hardening him early and injecting TRUE motivation in the guy. ie. i'm glad i was wrong

wasnt that someone else from the ESF? dont think Lucius posts here.

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
Awesome. A modern port of Daggerfall with a lot of the annoyances removed would be great. I can already tell that the increased resolution/view distance outdoors makes the game world feel less like an endless flat surface than it did before.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Pretty sure he's already decoded most of the internal game mechanics.

When this was first announced I also dismissed it as "yet another Dashus" but the guy's actually amazing. He's been at it less than a year and the amount of work he got done by himself rivals what other teams spend years doing. I can see why he doesn't want to team up: at the rate he's going it's just much more efficient if he works on it by himself. I don't want to get my hopes too high because it is a mod effort after all, and 99.9% of these fail hard due to lack of interest on the modder's part, but if there's one solo fan project that has a chance of seeing completion then this is it. Well, that and DarkXL, Lucius's other baby.

On a related note I am not impressed by some of the graphic whoring going on ITT.

Tails

Arbiter
If this will be completed and fix many issues with Daggerfall... bye bye real life, atleast for a month.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Tails said:
If this will be completed and fix many issues with Daggerfall... bye bye real life, atleast for a month.

A month... You have forgotten how big this game is. I'll be gone longer, that's for sure.

denizsi

Arcane
Luzur said:
wasnt that someone else from the ESF? dont think Lucius posts here.

He has, eventually. The original thread:
http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=34086

I said it in that thread, I'll say again: upscaled blurry graphics make me puke and I especially dislike the efforts at remaking textures and models in 3D and all that stuff. Half the beauty of Daggerfall is the abstraction layer achieved through simplified graphics. Adding 3D animated character models and what.. :puke:

I love graphics of Daggerfall just the way they are: extreme pixelation 320x200. Anything more is unnecessary.

I, however, fully support the notion of creating new extreme low-res textures and animated sprites.

Tails

Arbiter
I'm not quiet sure, but as I read you will be able to choose in settings if you want to any scalers or not. Even if this is negative, you could put some effort and ask developer to add such option.

Lonely Vazdru said:
A month... You have forgotten how big this game is. I'll be gone longer, that's for sure.
I said at least ;) but yeah, I admit that I forgot a bit how large Daggerfall is and... lovely.

Fez

Erudite
I always preferred pixellated graphics to blurred and upscaled whenever possible. First thing I make sure to turn off in an emulator.

I hope they don't replace decent professional 2D art with bad quality 3D models.

luciusDXL

Educated
Well, I have actually posted here in the past. I didn't start the original thread but I did post some responses. I admit I'm not a regular poster here though.

As for this:
denizsi said:
I said it in that thread, I'll say again: upscaled blurry graphics make me puke and I especially dislike the efforts at remaking textures and models in 3D and all that stuff. Half the beauty of Daggerfall is the abstraction layer achieved through simplified graphics. Adding 3D animated character models and what.. :puke:

I love graphics of Daggerfall just the way they are: extreme pixelation 320x200. Anything more is unnecessary.
While I personally disagree, denizsi is not the only one to feel this way. To that end, DaggerXL has supported an "emulate 320x200" mode for a while now. So the game runs at full resolution (which helps avoid issues like lower limits on resolution that most GPUs have and upsampling issues with monitors not running at native resolution) but renders to a 320x200 backbuffer and upscales that. It uses point sampling by default to maintain the pixelated look (the whole point), so the graphics remain crisp and low resolution.

If you want to run at high resolution but not have blurry textures, then you can turn down the texture filtering. DaggerXL supports point sampling, which will give the textures a pixelated (rather then blurry) look if you want.

Finally special effects, like bloom, can be turned off. In addition the view distance can be reduced to Daggerfall levels if you want a more authentic experience. So the graphics can be tailored to your tastes, to some degree.

I should also be clear that by default DaggerXL only uses the original data. You only get 3D models, high resolution textures and so on through mods - which are completely optional. In addition, extended features are also completely optional.

denizsi

Arcane
While I personally disagree, denizsi is not the only one to feel this way. To that end, DaggerXL has supported an "emulate 320x200" mode for a while now. So the game runs at full resolution (which helps avoid issues like lower limits on resolution that most GPUs have and upsampling issues with monitors not running at native resolution) but renders to a 320x200 backbuffer and upscales that. It uses point sampling by default to maintain the pixelated look (the whole point), so the graphics remain crisp and low resolution.

If you want to run at high resolution but not have blurry textures, then you can turn down the texture filtering. DaggerXL supports point sampling, which will give the textures a pixelated (rather then blurry) look if you want.

Finally special effects, like bloom, can be turned off. In addition the view distance can be reduced to Daggerfall levels if you want a more authentic experience. So the graphics can be tailored to your tastes, to some degree.

My favourite indie developer of the year.

Mortmal

Arcane
Good work, makes me properly nostalgic and depressed looking at it :) , hopefully you can add content too.

Tails

Arbiter
Thanks for explanation luciusDXL, good luck on your project(s).

Very interesting. I had played Daggerfall, but only messing around up to the point where I became break-the-game powerful. I'll definitely check this out once its finished.

Fez

Erudite
Cheers, luciusDXL. Glad to hear it is so flexible.

roll-a-die

Magister
luciusDXL said:
Well, I have actually posted here in the past. I didn't start the original thread but I did post some responses. I admit I'm not a regular poster here though.

As for this:
denizsi said:

I should also be clear that by default DaggerXL only uses the original data. You only get 3D models, high resolution textures and so on through mods - which are completely optional. In addition, extended features are also completely optional.
Thank you very much sir.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom