Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Daggerfall Unity isnt Vaporware

Miles Davis or John Coltrane?

• Miles Davis

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • John Coltrane

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • Kenny G (kc response)

Votes: 68 41.5%

• Total voters

octavius

Arcane
Patron
My heart breaks every time this thread bobs to the top of the list.
Yup. The worst part is that I don't think it matters whether Lucius comes back again or not at this point.

Wasn't he gauging interest in a DOOM source port at some point? That's pretty insane when you're already working on several different ports concurrently, and I can definitely see how something like that would drive a guy crazy.

I wonder what he though was lacking from the 927 other Doom source ports?

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Lucius is missing? And people on his forum doubt his return? It's *his* forum. He must still pay to keep the website hosted, no?

Luzur

Good Sir
Lucius is missing? And people on his forum doubt his return? It's *his* forum. He must still pay to keep the website hosted, no?

If so, he cant be so busy IRL that he couldnt..i dunno, maybe make a quick "Hello bros im still alive IRL is just trolling me but i plan to be back on #insert date/year here#, later gaters!" and let people know stuff is still on track.

5 minutes of his time, tops.

Ive seen this thing happen to so many projects (even the one i was a part of years back) that it annoys me to no end.

Luzur

Good Sir
Just got an update on DaggerXL from Klasodeth, Lucius "second in command":

It will come as no surprise to anyone to hear that it's been almost a year since Lucius' last post. So what's happened in that time?

Well, Lucius ended up hiring on at a new company. At the time, it appeared that Lucius was going to have more time to work on the XL Engine, but every time an opportunity for development came along, something else happened to thwart it. He ended up with a long commute, which was going to be a good thing--except that he ended up having to take a bus instead of a train as originally planned. A bus is much less suitable for laptop use than a train would have been. And the expected extra time on weekends disappeared when he started having to go out of town every weekend.

Finally, there's a major side-project (practically a second job) he's been working on as part of a team for years now. The momentum of that project has been increasing lately, such that there's now a very strong possibility he will essentially be able to work for himself. That would open up a great deal of free time, as he'd only have to focus on just one job at that point, but the catch is that the increased momentum of the side-project means increased demands on his time until it reaches a self-sustaining point. What this means is that for the past several months--and the next several months at least, Lucius really isn't going to have time for hobby projects.

Now, he's still interested in developing the XL Engine, and will return to it once he has more free time. But I realize this is a long time to wait with no real news in almost a year, and no real news for the foreseeable future. Because of this, I am working to get approval for a source code release. I am focusing primarily on DarkXL, since it's by far the more complete project and doesn't have any available alternatives, however I am also pushing for a DaggerXL code release. Due to my own increasingly busy work schedule, I don't see Lucius as often lately, so it may take a while yet to get approval and to work out the specifics. If it takes more than a few weeks to get something worked out, I'll post a status update.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That's pretty great news, if the source does get out. Should've been open source from the get-go I'd say.

Luzur

Good Sir

NEW VIDEO IS OUT

Posted on May 12, 2015

I’ve said it many times: Daggerfall Tools for Unity is a platform. Besides helping to recreate the game, DFTFU can be used to remaster and re-imagine Daggerfall, or create whole new games in a similar style. Merging Daggerfall’s content with a powerful engine like Unity provides limitless potential.

Nothing shows off this potential more than mods created over the last several weeks by Nystul, LypyL, and Uncanny_Valley. These range from graphical enhancements and world improvements to silly fun like turning Daggerfall into a flight simulator. I’m so very proud to show off their hard work in the below video and to provide a playable demo for you to experience their work first-hand.

Posted on April 29, 2015

Another great mod from Uncanny_Valley, this time to save layouts for world objects to be loaded later in procedural world. You can follow this mod in its forum post. I have also hosted download here.

Before and after shots below.

qio5paua.jpg

qqbqsai6.jpg

Last edited:

Morkar Left

Some impressive shit is going on there. If the game would be fully implemented and playable there could be a lot of new stuff happening (Seeing that jet I was thinking at Albion or a Magic Carpet mod). Hope this time the development will make it!

baturinsky

Arcane
I want the wings from sr4:gooh. They are awesome, but the game itself is too tiny to get a good use of it.

otsego

Cipher
These visual improvements are inspiring... but we still need a fully working gameplay build that can get through the fundamental game elements and scripts before doing all this fun day-night and multiplayer stuff.

DaggerXL was sooo close... and now Unity Tools has come along to show us all the improvements that can be made to base Daggerfall...

But no one is working on BASE Daggerfall to make this stuff possible.

potatojohn

Arcane
What we need is open source projects built on open source libraries and engines, so people abandoning it doesn't stop the whole effort.

Anyone else felt disappointed he didn't end the video crashing the plane into that lake?

We probaly should have the title changed.

DAGGERFALL XL - 10000 "MICRO-ISSUES" REMAIN !!! … GAVIN CLAYTON, AND THE POWER OF UNITY INCLINE IS AT ITS ZENITH!!!! CAN A SINGLE SPERG BY HIMSELF DO WHAT BETHESDA'S ENTIRE COMPANY COULD NOT ACHIEVE IN 20 YEARS? ALL PREVIOUS BETHESDA ACCOMPLISHMENTS ARE ABOUT TO BE ECLIPSED BY ONE IT GUY!

Last edited:

baturinsky

Arcane
What we need is open source projects built on open source libraries and engines, so people abandoning it doesn't stop the whole effort.
I think Dark Project is the best open source engine that can be used for Daggerfall-alike. It has graphics, assets, AI - all the things open source projects usually stumble on.
I don't even think that it needs to copy Daggerfall, just heavily borrow ideas from it.

Aenra

This thread is disappointing, and not due to its age :)

:killit:

Graphics, graphics, graphics..count the people and number of posts using the word graphics; So many gfx-whore posts, and not a one dumbfuck tag. The new Codex.

Good news would be a functioning original (or close to), but with an improved UI (hence the "porting"), so that for example you can track/be alerted to curses and diseases before they actually kill you, as happens on retail. At which point it is of course a touch too late to do anything about it.
Good news would be taking advantage of Unity physics assets, and being able to show how melee combat (magic to follow) is now a touch more ..responsive..? ..accurate..? At the least confined by walls? (you can currently hack mobs behind walls)
Good news would be someone relating (in a semi-mature resembling manner so as for me to know this is not a bunch of idiots having taken over) the changes to starter creation bonuses exploits, classes and skills, so that the game could finally sport some semblance of balance.
Good news would be someone, any fucking one, shamelessly self-stroking their ego by announcing how, while porting, uncovered and put to use ALL the left-out content, including but not limited to sieges and utter annihilation of cities. Which were the original plan by the way.

edit: though come to think of it, i guess your responses do serve a point after all. You have helped me finally comprehend how it is that modders can typically be so obtuse, imagination-lacking and generally fucktarded type of people. Target audience and all that.

Last edited by a moderator:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Personally I'm most disappointed at the Dark Forces version being abandoned so very close to completion. AFAIK the only thing it misses is alternate fire for weapons. For me FPSes nice graphics and a slick UI is more important than for an CRPG.
To fix all the flaws of Daggerfall is a truly herculean task in comparison.

Luzur

Good Sir
Personally I'm most disappointed at the Dark Forces version being abandoned so very close to completion. AFAIK the only thing it misses is alternate fire for weapons. For me FPSes nice graphics and a slick UI is more important than for an CRPG.
To fix all the flaws of Daggerfall is a truly herculean task in comparison.

Apprearently the engine will be released for free if an official "i quit" response is (ever) given by Lucius, atleast that has been said to one of lucius friends on the forum.

But then again Interkarma's "projectthing" (not really sure what it is) is a free for all.

And i other news:

Fast-Tracking 1.3 Release
Posted on May 20, 2015
I have decided to fast-track 1.3 into release status, as currently Unity 5 compatibility is in Developer Preview 1.3 only. A lot of new Unity 5 developers are downloading the latest 1.2 release version and experiencing problems, which leaves a bad first-impression of the tools.

As a result, the promised text and translation features will be only partially completed in next release. I’m going to bump text and translation to 1.4, and bring some of the material changes planned for 1.4 down into 1.3 which relate to Unity 5 improvements.

There will also be a refresh on the documentation and tutorials for Unity 5, now that features like Deferred Shading are available to all.

Look for the release to be ready sometime within the next week.

Also some pics:

uectkbw.jpg

Xegqqi3.jpg

vi1m3b.jpg

yXEe9hd.png

Last edited:

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
Like how Wiz8 felt like Final Fantasy in a Myst engine but with surplus stats and worse puzzles?+M
just trolling. but ive always wanted to call wiz8 a myst-clone to someone who'd actually give a shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom