Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Daggerfall and DOSBox

OlSheep

Novice
Here's a guide I thought some of you might want (sorry if it's completely useless)... Feel free to reply and/or PM me additional questions you might have...

Running Daggerfall under DOSBox for imbeciles :
Because frontends are for pussies

1 - Download and install the latest version of DOSBox

Get it here : http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1

2 - Create a folder to use as DOSBox's virtual hard drive

You can create this folder anywhere on your machine. Keep in mind that a full install of Daggerfall requires ~500 Mb.

I like to use C:\DDRIVE (I guess /$HOME/DDRIVE would be good if you've got a Linux box) as it's simple, short and easy to remember.

3 - Configure DosBox

You'll want to open "dosbox.conf" in an ASCII editor (e.g. Notepad). The Windows version of DOSBox will put a shortcut to this file in your start menu (i.e. just click on : Start -> Programs -> DOSBox-0.70 -> DOSBox.conf).

Editing dosbox.conf is fairly straightforward. Just make sure you don't use incorrect values (read the lines that begins with #, these are comments that aren't interpreted as settings by the program at run-time).

Since you're probably eager to start playing, here's a list of things you need to edit (if a parameter isn't listed here, just leave it as it is):

SDL

• - fullscreen=false (I like to leave this setting to false as you can switch to fullscreen mode by pressing ALT+ENTER when DOSBox is running)
    - fulldouble=true (this will allow double buffering in fullscreen mode)
    - output=ddraw (this tells DOSBox to use Microsoft DirectDraw as its output API, if you're under Linux, you might want to use output=opengl instead - whatever you do, don't leave this to output=surface as it's very slow)
    - priority=highest,pause (this forces your OS to give DOSBox more CPU time when you're playing and it pauses your game when you alt-tab out)

dosbox
  • - memsize=64 (kinda self-explanatory)

render
  • - scaler=advinterp2x (this applies a nice scaler that'll make edges look a bit better - omgzor teh graphix lol!!!1!z -, leave this to none if your machine is a bit slow/old)

cpu
  • - core=dynamic (the fastest CPU emulation)
    - cycles=max (this maximizes the use of your CPU - Daggerfall is quite power-hungry in terms of CPU time)

autoexec (that one is at the end of the file)

Add the following lines and replace C:\DDRIVE by the path leading to your own folder (see 2 - Create a folder to use as DOSBox's virtual hard drive) :

Code:
MOUNT C C:\DDRIVE -freesize 500
C:

So your autoxec section should look like this :

Code:
[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
MOUNT C PATH_TO_YOUR_FOLDER -freesize 500
C:

4 - Accessing the CD drive

I'll cover 2 scenarios here : installing the game from the actual CD and installing it from an image (a .iso file).

If you've got the tools to create a .iso from your CD, you should do so as using an image results in better performances (your hard drive is faster than your CD drive). If you'd like to do this, you're own your own, I'm not going to cover this topic here.

Using the CD

Fire up DOSBox (i.e. just click on : Start -> Programs -> DOSBox-0.70 -> DOSBox). At the prompt, type (and then press ENTER) :

Code:
mount d PATH_TO_YOUR_DRIVE -t cdrom -usecd 0 -ioctl

Where, supposing you're running Windows, PATH_TO_YOUR_DRIVE is your CD Drive's letter followed by :\ .

If you only have one hard drive and one CD drive, that path would be D:\ :

Code:
mount d D:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0 -ioctl

Just put the CD in the drive and start reading step 5.

Using an image

Fire up DOSBox (i.e. just click on : Start -> Programs -> DOSBox-0.70 -> DOSBox). At the prompt, type (and then press ENTER) :

Code:
imgmount d PATH_TO_YOUR_ISO -t iso

Assuming your image file is in C:\Images\Daggerfall.iso, the command would become :

Code:
imgmount d C:\Images\Daggerfall.iso -t iso

5 - Installing the game

As of now, you've got DOSBox running at pretty much top speed with a virtual hard drive and an access to Daggerfall's CD.

If you're not familiar with DOS, you might want to get acquainted with some of its commands : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_DOS_commands .

Basically, there are 2 essentials here : CD and DIR .

CD means change directory and is used to enter a folder.

DIR lists the content of the current directory (that's right, you can only open one folder at any given time).

You can see the current directory by looking at the prompt.

You might want to read the wiki and mess around with DOSBox for a bit. If you don't feel like it, just do what I tell you to do.

Type (always press ENTER after typing a command) :
Code:
D:

This I'll change the current drive to the CD.

Then type :
Code:
install

This isn't one of DOS' internal commands. If you type something that isn't a command, the OS searches the current directory and tries to find a program named (minus the extension, which is the text after the dot - e.g. .exe -) after what you've entered.

Luckily, the CD contains a program named install.exe which means DOSBox can run this.

The installation should begin. When the License Agreement comes up, "lock" the mouse within DOSBox by clicking on the window (you can use CTRL+F10 to "unlock" the mouse). Agree with the terms.

You should be able to install the program on your own, just pick "Install the game on your hard drive", "Change the install size", select the biggest size, accept, accept the default folder and let the program do its job.

6 - Configuring the sound card

DOSBox emulates a bunch of common sound cards.

Select Digital
Using the arrow keys on your keyboard, enter this section.

Pick Sound Blaster 16/AWE 32, and set the port to 220, the DMA to 1 and the IRQ to 7.

Then select OK

Select MIDI
Using the arrow keys on your keyboard, enter this section.

Pick Sound Blaster 16, MIDI Port 388.

Then select OK.

Leave the HMI Sound Operating System Setup Utility by selecting OK from the main menu. You may try Test Digital and Test MIDI if you feel like it.

Leave the installation, you're done.

7 - Preparing the game

Close DOSBox. You can to this by using the [x] button on the top-right corner or by pressing CTRL+F9.

Open up Notepad (or any other ASCII editor) and type the following (make sure you do the replacing with your own paths) :

If you're running the game from a CD Drive...
Code:
mount d PATH_TO_YOUR_DRIVE -t cdrom -usecd 0 -ioctl
c:
cd dagger
fall z.cfg

If you're running the game from an image...
Running from a CD Drive...
Code:
imgmount d PATH_TO_YOUR_ISO -t iso
c:
cd dagger
fall z.cfg

Save this file directly inside DOSBox's virtual hard drive folder (don't put it in a subdirectory).

Name it go.bat (make sure it's a .bat, not a .txt).

8 - Patching the game

Yea, Daggerfall is buggy...

Get the patch : http://rapidshare.com/files/32589539/dag213.zip.html (yeah, yea, I know, rapidshare sucks).

Unzip this in daggerfall's directory (i.e. PATH_TO_DOSBOX_VIRTUAL_HARD_DRIVE\dagger)

As an example, if I had to install, I'd unzip the file to C:\DDRIVE\dagger.

Open up DOSBox. Enter the following commands :
Code:
cd dagger
dag213

Answer the patch's questions (just type y and press enter) and let the program do its job.

9 - Running the game

Now that the game has been patched, all that is left to do is run it.

Within DOSBox, type :

Code:
cd \
go

This'll bring the current directory back to the virtual drive's root and run the batch file we've created earlier. The game should now be running.

10 - Enjoy !

You might want to press ALT+ENTER to have DOSBox go into fullscreen mode.

You're on your own now...

10b - Running the game from now on...

Next time you want to run the game, start DOSBox, type "go" and press ENTER.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Thanks for this guide.

I downloaded the free daggerfall version from the elder scrolls website and it does not have the intro cut scene. I do have the cd so I am going to use this guide to install from the cd. Anything else extra on the cd version?

Saxon1974

Prophet
Indeed Fantastic, it even installs the needed version of Dosbox without having to mess with it.

Thanks for the link Mastermind!

Now to choose what class I want to play this time.

Xi

Arcane
Melissan said:
I tried it and it worked! Thanks, Sheep!

:love:

Look past the graphics and you will find quite a game beneath. Granted, a flawed game, but a fantastic world fantasy simulator with good character development and infinite places to explore.

:salute:

SkepticsClaw

Potential Fire Hazard
Indeed, thanks to Mastermind. In my incredible laziness I simply couldn't be bothered to go through the hoops of setting it up, but that all-in-one is pretty awesome.

:bro:

Saxon1974

Prophet
Even though a large portion of this world is auto generated generic, the sheer size of the cities and world really makes it feel like real cities...something that most RPG's dont do.

I'm not a fan of randomly created content (see oblivion dungeons) but for some reason I think this game does it rather well.

There is enough challenge and things going on with guilds and political stuff to keep the game interesting even with the random content.

I just accepted a mission at level 3 to protect a merchant from a vampire guild, lets just say I dont think I landed one hit before being killed.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Daggerfall dungeons are interesting...they are huge and difficult to find your way around but they are very atmospheric. I can't decide if I like them or not. I like a challenge but I spent 2 hours last night looking for a lycanthrope and never did find him and I gave up.

Anyone have any tips for exploring the dungeons?

Saxon1974

Prophet
Lonely Vazdru said:
Endure. In enduring, grow strong.

Ha, ok will do.

Will try the hug the right wall technique and see how that goes. Someone said you can sometimes find portals in rafters but I assume you need levitate to reach them.

Also there was a water area and I couldnt pass through this area because my swim skill was too low apparently so maybe that's where the beastie was that I couldn't find.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Growing strong in enduring is pretty much TES' character development in a nutshell, so I really meant it. :D
Underwater breathing spell is a "must have" in this game.

quasimodo

Augur
Saxon1974 said:
Daggerfall dungeons are interesting...they are huge and difficult to find your way around but they are very atmospheric. I can't decide if I like them or not. I like a challenge but I spent 2 hours last night looking for a lycanthrope and never did find him and I gave up.

As they said hug the wall and hope for the best.

The fear of getting lost and dead is the best part of Daggerfall. When Bethesda forgot to include that in their later games I lost interest in TES.

Lonely Vazdru said:
Growing strong in enduring is pretty much TES' character development in a nutshell, so I really meant it. :D
Underwater breathing spell is a "must have" in this game.

No, growing strong in casting 1 MP fireballs 500 times at your feet is the TES character development in a nutshell. Or, for Daggerfall specifically, just starting out as a god at lvl 1 with the character creation system :lol:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Saxon1974 said:

I have a notebook and a pencil, but my memory isn't what it used to be.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom