Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&DNext Art Thread

Phelot

Arcane
NARZUGON SMASH!

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I liked the early 1990 art

monstrous_5.jpg
:bro:
Fixed.

Phelot

Arcane
I prefer the older art, but that era was still kewl.

Anyway, the Codex is being snobbish about D&D art :lol:

AngryKobold

Arcane
The OP images look as if digital speed painting met Pixar. Illustrations of 3E were as they were, but now it seems a quality work in comparison.

If the next D&D will be as bad as 4E, the art is degenerated enough to suit it well.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Have you tried the BETA? Whether it has merits over 3.5 is (very) debatable, but it certainly is much better than 4th edition.

Erebus

Arcane
Looks like halflings have become even lamer than before. Still better than gnomes, though.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Looks like halflings have become even lamer than before. Still better than gnomes, though.
Are gnomes back in the core? Or are they keeping the retarded 4E races (sorry, DraQ)?

So far it seems like they're dropping almost everything from 4E, and that includes the races. They are keeping the good ideas though (a fighter has options in combat, advantage/disadvantage are in and so on) but these concepts seem much more streamlined (in the good way, not the vidya-game media sort of way) than 4E's was.

There's no doubt 5E is shaping up to be much better than 4E. Whether it will be better than 3E remains to be seen.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I like how despite their marketing push and fanboy shilling 4E seems to be an unmitigated disaster for WotC in the fact that thanks to OGL the disgruntled 3E grognards have a viable alternative in Pathfinder, something that the 2E supporters could only dream about back when their edition became obsolete. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
It probably won't. It's fairly obvious that WOTC under Hasbro is mainly concerned with cranking out splatbooks in one continuous stream of mediocrity. They haven't really released any good roleplaying stuff - as opposed to POWER UP YOUR MANGA BRO™ rulebooks - since the setting material for Eberron. I paticularily liked Sharn: City of Towers with detailed description of the feeling of various city districts and the way The Last War described the state of borders and various battlefields over the course of the 100 years of war. The par for the course for Eberron books was ~150 pages of setting description to every 10 pages of weird feats, spells and prestige classes. In 4E the fluff to crunch ratio was reversed.

evdk

Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In 4E the white spaces on the pages was increased and the font was larger. Plus most of the books were all crunch all the time with few of the bear lore check tables providing inane bits of trivia as fluff pieces. I hated the 4E layout THIS MUCH.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
It didn't help that the way the rules were built, the main way of adding customization to a character was making AN ENTIRELY NEW CLASS GUIZE complete with 10+ pages of stupid power cards. I'm fine with fighter types getting more options but jesus christ. Make some sort of unified Combat Maneuver list similar to spell lists and let the various sword&board classes have access to a subset of it.

Regardless, we're drifting off topic. This is about how shit art has gotten since 2E. I weep for the D&Ders of the future.

Larry_Elmore_02_1024x768.jpg

evdk

Patron
Also irritating was that most the powers basically boiled down to X[W] damage + slide target/status effect with two sentences of dumb fluff text desperately attempting to make this bullshit not bland as fuck.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Are you nuts, Ulminati? Eberron was exactly the same hell of feats, prestige classes and rules bullshit as the rest of the settings. Nothing, nothing, comes close to the Forgotten Realms 2E books. Eberron is a fucking joke, an attempt to create an original standard D&D fantasy. A fucking paradox. After that failed, they proceeded to attempt to revitalize the Realms which of course ended in disaster since the only thing worse than attempting to create a new Realms is actually destroying the old one. All you need out of the standard setting in D&D is that you and your playgroup need no work to understand the world and you all have a common dicthonomy for play. If I actually want to play in an interesting setting why the fuck would I go with Forgotten Realms with a bit more steam-punk and jungle AKA Eberron?

I want standard fantasy, I play Forgotten Realms. I want something else, then I'll go for something truely unique and different, not a world where exploding crystal dragons just happen to constitute some important bit of lore instead of wizards that made floating islands.

Also irritating was that most the powers basically boiled down to X[W] damage + slide target/status effect with two sentences of dumb fluff text desperately attempting to make this bullshit not bland as fuck.

Bullshitz ;)

I get the feeling most critics of 4E on these forums haven't really played the game that extensively. Just read a bit and then pictured how it would play. I dislike 4E as much as the next guy, but the MMO-accusations and the accusation that all classes play and feel the same are completely idiotic. It plays nothing like an MMO.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

Oh, how I miss the old art style. Just looking at this picture makes me want to jump right in, I can think of a story about that thing in a few seconds. Looking at the art in my Pathfinder books only makes me think "OH WAIT, I HAVE TO GIVE MY PLAYERS TEH FUGGIN BIG SWORD OF ULTIMATE DOOMSLAYING + 5 NAO BECAUSE IT'S AWESOME"​
Really, the old style was inspirational.​

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
"OH WAIT, I HAVE TO GIVE MY PLAYERS TEH FUGGIN BIG SWORD OF ULTIMATE DOOMSLAYING + 5 NAO BECAUSE IT'S AWESOME"

Just quoting this to re-state the fact that Pathfinder's art fucking sucks. But then, so does Golarion.

Erebus

Arcane
Speaking of art, I miss Diterlizzi. What is he doing these days ?

Shadenuat

Arcane
Speaking of art, I miss Diterlizzi. What is he doing these days ?​
Writing and illustrating children's fantasy books, looks like.

Bah. The only thing Diterlizzi should draw are anorectic big-eared fairies walking the Planes. :(

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Anyway, more pictures for DnD Next:

Deep-Gnome.png

ArtTest_Culture1.jpg

DEV_08-01_HumanoidMonsters_Gnoll_color.jpg

ArtTest_RacesMF.jpg

Could be worse, I guess. Could be a lot better too.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Fuck y'all, I'm loving it. Except the last image with the orcsies. That gnoll is sweet!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom