Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D/AD&D Portraits by Elmore, Caldwell, Easley, & Parkinson plus Trampier, Otus, Brom, & DiTerlizzi, also Holloway and more

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
86 portraits created from D&D or AD&D artwork by Larry Elmore, Clyde Caldwell, Jeff Easley, and Keith Parkinson. Let me know if I missed anything classic that would make a good portrait, or if you have any other comments. I'll eventually post these in the Avatars thread.

D&D (BECMI) Rulebooks, Modules, and Gazetteers:
tgvsOnc.png
ejVFGBv.png
qqaAMjg.png
BdI6x8m.png
8WhOC0Y.png
QHqNnPj.png
tXjRanr.png
ayR2D8S.png
nx745d6.png
7gbGFJS.png
OhFVbSS.png
gn6DNED.png
MxDR9SB.png
6vP2ulj.png
R4mCKbW.png
d95Qm1M.png
A1Tm5p4.png
y2eJQcu.png
PVonz8d.png
WfQqmrn.png
cDULbw6.png
NnTbP8C.png
TJWiDNH.png
iQKIvhJ.png
oupE2AA.png
PUUxH7v.png
uL5f30z.png
OdboUaF.png
jv28v5D.png
ko68hQN.png

B9, CM9, AC10, AC10, BECMI Basic, BECMI Basic, BECMI Basic, BECMI Basic, BECMI Basic, BECMI Basic, BECMI Basic, BECMI Basic, BECMI Basic, BECMI Basic, BECMI Basic, BECMI Expert, BECMI Expert, BECMI Companion, BECMI Companion, BECMI Companion, BECMI Companion, BECMI Companion, BECMI Companion, BECMI Companion, BECMI Master, Gazetteer 3, Gazetter 5, Gazetteer 5, Gazetteer 9, Gazetteer 14

AD&D Campaign Settings:
SW1MUCx.png
D1xjbcY.png
YFs68Vw.png
1OQF6bn.png
1p8l2tr.png
f01rl31.png
35Yihwa.png
CxG4ngg.png
h3RJrLc.png
a1uNoXp.png
6W0i35b.png
c1dxPGd.png
DGGVdjy.png
iiK86OI.png
5V6rWYB.png
kfKO999.png
MkKTIRk.png
C39aWLP.png
LSr3k1g.png
c3OSlez.png
QsoZqk6.png
1nZJ3hl.png
shUgHMo.png
vgnUIG5.png
BaKuvI0.png
UGfWs5f.png
QjtMcI1.png
xKHzhmr.png
yJX0NMU.png
iXqMTaL.png
XVOTBJh.png
bzR64kD.png
OGlexVm.png
CtPTKMA.png
zUOEZkg.png
9gINXfl.png
GaEnHmb.png
ayC5lfU.png
npxYq7C.png
bDRZlUE.png
PZIITDO.png
qY5PXGl.png
CxgKX3e.png

Lankhmar City of Adventure, Lankhmar City of Adventure, DL Kindred Spirits novel, DL Flight from Darkenwood, DL3, DL5, DL5, DL5, DL5, DL5, DL5, DL5, DL5, DL5, DL5, DL5, DL5, DL5, DL Chronicles 2 novel, DL Flight of the Dragon Orb, DL7, DL7, DL Chronicles 3 novel, DL Chronicles 3 novel, DL Chronicles 3 novel, DL14, DL Lord Soth's Charge, DL The Hands of Doom, DL The Hands of Doom, DL The Portal, DL Dark Queen, FR Campaign Setting 1st Edition, FR Ruins of Adventure, FR Curse of the Azure Bonds, FR Savage Frontier, FR Waterdeep, FR Waterdeep, FR Adventures, FR Campaign Setting 2nd Edition, FR Ruins of Undermountain, FR Book of Lairs, WG5, WGA4

AD&D Rulebooks, Modules:
8RuUGpV.png
cE4aTde.png
RT1IAOk.png
1PVb3Hp.png
2EpsuPE.png
FBENIT6.png
3cpuzX4.png
dgYKSkN.png
acNJTPS.png
NFMBy4m.png
AD62BHl.png
pprUtqX.png
YuFRgYd.png

PHB 2nd Edition, GHQ1-7, H2, I3-5, I6, I10, I11, I11, I11, RS1, RS1, RS1, RS1

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Turns out that, in addition to two Conan AD&D adventure modules released in 1984 (which feature Arnold Schwarzenegger on the cover), TSR released in 1985 a Conan RPG and three adventure modules for it. Although it's not really D&D, I can't pass up Caldwell Conan and Elmore Conan:
VaLLaBo.png
LchmFjk.png

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
One last addition, since it turns out this Dragon Magazine cover (issue 94, February 1985) by Clyde Caldwell later appeared in PHBR11 Complete Ranger's Handbook, allowing for another two portraits:

Alerelean.jpg

HOqAOjQ.png
A1i3fqT.png

Jeanne Stanley met Clyde Caldwell at the 1984 GEN CON and served as the model for both this painting and for his cover of RS1 Red Sonja Unconquered:
Unconquered.jpg

Last edited:

Erikolaz

Educated
This is the oldest one I recognize. I'm pretty sure he represented the Fighter class in the original D&D Players Manual.

7gbGFJS.png

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
53 portraits created from D&D or AD&D artwork by David A. Trampier, Erol Otus, Gerald Brom, and Tony DiTerlizzi. Let me know if I missed anything classic that would make a good portrait.

DAT:
UULcDRS.png
oHKWXZX.png
HLlKKb8.png
Uz0ZQ1H.png
WROajQG.png
bSPBR9s.png
BUfCw7z.png
Gk4DQ2e.png
zJsZZF4.png
n7BHvs7.png

AD&D Player's Handbook Cover, AD&D Monster Manual (9 portraits) Basilisk, Devil Dispater, Dragon Turtle, Goblin, Gorgon, Groaning Spirit a.k.a Banshee, Minotaur, Pseudo-Dragon, Vampire
Plus we already have
tramp5.png
tramp6.png
tramp1.png
tramp2.png
tramp3.png
tramp4.png

AD&D Monster Manual (6 portraits) Devil Baalzebul, Displacer Beast, Intellect Devourer, Lich, Lizardman, Rakshasa

Erol Otus:
JnUa9kx.png
SeCZjfD.png
fMtESWH.png
2rt885r.png
EEMr0rR.png
gevI0Wn.png
1C3pjg9.png
fjOHYaj.png
QP8YJng.png
C2H3Js7.png
FDElVtY.png
8dXXH5H.png
glJCdSX.png
uzzVYK1.png
O2RmtOQ.png

AD&D Deities & Demigods original version (3 portraits) Cthulhu, Hastur, Yog-Sothoth, A4 In the Dungeons of the Slave Lords B&W Myconid, B3 Palace of the Silver Princess later version Cover, D3 Vault of the Drow later version B&W Drow Priestess, I1 Dwellers of the Forbidden City Cover, Rogues Gallery B&W Roper, S1 Tomb of Horrors later version Back Cover, S3 Expedition to the Barrier Peaks (2 portraits) Cover, Froghemoth, S4 Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth Cover, D&D Basic Set 1981 (3 portraits) Cover Dragon, Cover Fighter, Cover Mage

Gerald Brom:
E4ZDULr.png
5rOaMZd.png
9nNsrds.png
47L8n96.png
8Bzt2oU.png
a73aqzo.png
DX9LLLz.png
HelkN7i.png
7IUBxif.png
z6pFCTv.png
IUNDhAC.png

DLS4 Wild Elves Cover, DLR2 Taladas the Minotaurs Cover, Dark Sun Campaign Setting Box Set (2 portraits) Box Cover, Booklet Cover, DSE1 Dragon's Crown (2 portraits) Cover, Booklet Cover, Dragon Kings Mul, DSR1 Slave Tribes Cover, CGR2 Complete Gladiators Handbook Female Fighter, DSS3 Elves of Athas Cover, Dragon Magazine #197 Cover

Tony DiTerlizzi:
LK6kv06.png
LgRJ2rU.png
NQKh6yW.png
i5EzPWO.png
hEisEge.png
ffX4o9g.png
aGJp40N.png
3gfa5E8.png
vDQ1BKv.png
TeNnYUL.png
ZQOOF7Q.png
01yP1Xq.png
jrbVG0Z.png
IbQvbVM.png
676Dsqx.png
dbKyNEN.png
TyO5ERV.png
048dhxS.png

Planescape Campaign Setting Box Set (12 portraits) Lady of Pain, Bleak Cabal, Doomguard, Dustmen, Fated, Harmonium, Mercykillers, Sensates, Transcendent Order, Dak'kon Xaositects, Cranium Rats, Quadrone, Planes of Law Box Set Monodrone, Monstrous Compendium Planescape Appendix I (4 portraits) Cat Lord female, Erinyes, Falls-from-Grace Succubus, Annah Tiefling, Monstrous Compendium Appendix II Eladrin Ghaele

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Why does the codex need so many female avatars? We've got like 100 per female user, counting trannies.
A substantial portion of male Codexers prefer female avatars, or so I've heard. :M For example, those two black-and-white Caldwell illustrations of Red Sonja were quickly jumped upon by male Codexers, but I've yet to see either of the two illustrations of Conan selected as an avatar by anyone.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
It has been brought to my attention that we have a dearth of D&D dragon avatars, so I've created a dozen:

AlWEVMV.png
JZMvpms.png
j0o5rfJ.png
yd5ewoT.png
mdVOwSN.png
2XiwtpP.png

itHYsEA.png
UaBiNIy.png
2gCN2Xz.png
MBrhVYt.png
IR2qor1.png
4KaOplw.png

BECMI Basic, BECMI Expert, BECMI Companion, DL6 Dragons of Ice, AC10 Bestiary of Dragons and Giants , DL10 Dragons of Dreams
Dungeon Magazine #1, CM3 Sabre River, FOR1 Draconomicon interior, DL2 Dragons of Flame, AD&D 2nd Edition DMG, DL Calendar 1987

Plus a few others:

mMEyXZy.png
ZqHt3tV.png
aFbUu23.png

DL2 Dragons of Flame, PHBR3 interior, CA2 Swords of Deceit

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Considering Holloway and Miscellaneous avatar sections:

Jim Holloway:
kRis5d9.png
vlLnaut.png
3lratcQ.png
7ewyiFi.png
Bh0kf0a.png
jnb2GOJ.png
PVrKE8l.png

SpfS8Ck.png
q1YfiLJ.png
eKnfDzA.png
MFbw8jY.png
KV5AaPK.png
R6nw1LM.png
BXhpmKx.png

B4 The Lost City (3) Cover, Dwarf, Zargon, D&D 'Red Box' Basic Rules fighter, Dragon Magazine #151 Cover, OA4 Blood of the Yakuza Cover, Dragon Magazine #117 Cover, AC11 Book of Wondrous Inventions Cover, AD&D 1st Edition Monster Manual II Thri-Kreen, AD&D 2nd Edition Monstrous Compendium (3) Bugbear, Gelatinous Cube, Mind Flayer, Spelljammer Campaign Setting Box Set (2) Booklet Cover, Giff

Dave Sutherland:
NiYtYC2.png
jegegQS.png
ObFU9Py.png
amnIpoK.png
XJ5RjAA.png

AD&D Monster Manual (5) Air Elemental, Earth Elemental, Fire Elemental, Water Elemental, Kobold

Timothy Truman:
3E319YB.png
FTLtKOP.png
xM8fcpK.png
GYj3Kb0.png
qLQkWk9.png
jFXPAIc.png

N1 Against the Cult of the Reptile God Cover, B7 Rahasia (2) Water Weird, Witch, X5 Temple of Death fighter, MSOLO1 Blizzard Pass Cover, MSOLO2 Maze of the Riddling Minotaur Cover

Fred Fields:
XBTy4qU.png
84MXjwB.png
zMyyRYJ.png
wooi5FI.png
LqTkjha.png

LNA1 Thieves of Lankhmar Cover, LNR1 Wonders of Lankhmar Cover, Hollow World Box Set Cover, PHBR11 color, FROA1 Ninja Wars Cover

John Blumen:
fNph9yn.png

Dragon Magazine #47 Cover

Paul Jaquays:
Rb9nKJr.png

Dungeon Magazine #20 Cover

Denis Beauvais:
VvBdtVr.png

Dragon Magazine #122 Cover

Dave Simons:
nXux7b4.png
xZM96vU.png

DMR2 Creature Catalog (2) Vampire, Kraken

Jeff Dee:
PrcMR2d.png

D&D Basic Rules Morgan Ironwolf

Terry Dykstra:
VImyrQc.png
X3N6Drj.png
BxRVhK4.png

Rules Cyclopedia (2) Beholder, Magic-User, FA2 Nightmare Keep mage in bubble

Russ Nicholson:
ktfFrMz.png

AD&D Fiend Folio Githyanki

Douglas Chaffee:
36pzH0V.png
IBlEZaR.png
9qi9SQc.png

AD&D 2nd edition Player's Handbook color orc, AD&D 2nd edition Dungeon Master's Guide color cleric, PHBR1 Complete Fighter's Handbook color troll

Julie Bell:
ITGHtPu.png

PHBR11 Complete Ranger's Handbook color ranger

Bruce Eagle:
rUwitSE.png

DMGR6 Complete Book of Villains color medusa

Jeff Butler:
zkLTpuU.png

DL11 Dragons of Glory Gunthar

Jack Pennington:
5s9EAv3.png

DLE3 Dragon Keep Cover

Valeria Valusek:
78WiRce.png

FOR6 The Seven Sisters fighter

Stephen Fabian:
KbBpJlg.png
uA8wlRw.png
NVrQaBh.jpg
RMlsiYz.png

GAZ1 Grand Duchy of Karameikos Stefan Karameikos, GAZ3 Principalities of Glantri (2) Dona Carnelia de Belcadiz, Leranda, Ravenloft Campaign Box Set vistani

Eric Olson:
p4POIRB.png

SJR3 Dungeon Master's Screen

Tom Baxa:
PT4GV84.png

Legend of the Spelljammer Box Set the Spelljammer

Robh Ruppel:
9Nt9fMU.png

RM3 Web of Illusion Cover

Dana Knutson:
zsOjk7R.png
8xw1siM.png

Castles Forlorn Box Set Cover, Planescape Setting Box Set Cover Logo

Let me know if I missed anything that would make a good avatar. :M

Last edited:

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
AD&D Campaign Settings:
SW1MUCx.png
D1xjbcY.png
YFs68Vw.png
1OQF6bn.png
1p8l2tr.png
f01rl31.png
35Yihwa.png
CxG4ngg.png
h3RJrLc.png
a1uNoXp.png
6W0i35b.png
c1dxPGd.png
DGGVdjy.png
iiK86OI.png
5V6rWYB.png
kfKO999.png
MkKTIRk.png
C39aWLP.png
LSr3k1g.png
c3OSlez.png
QsoZqk6.png
1nZJ3hl.png
shUgHMo.png
vgnUIG5.png
BaKuvI0.png
UGfWs5f.png
QjtMcI1.png
xKHzhmr.png
yJX0NMU.png
iXqMTaL.png
XVOTBJh.png
bzR64kD.png
OGlexVm.png
CtPTKMA.png
zUOEZkg.png
9gINXfl.png
GaEnHmb.png
ayC5lfU.png
npxYq7C.png
bDRZlUE.png
PZIITDO.png
qY5PXGl.png
CxgKX3e.png

Lankhmar City of Adventure, Lankhmar City of Adventure, DL Kindred Spirits novel, DL Flight from Darkenwood, DL3, DL5, DL5, DL5, DL5, DL5, DL5, DL5, DL5, DL5, DL5, DL5, DL5, DL5, DL Chronicles 2 novel, DL Flight of the Dragon Orb, DL7, DL7, DL Chronicles 3 novel, DL Chronicles 3 novel, DL Chronicles 3 novel, DL14, DL Lord Soth's Charge, DL The Hands of Doom, DL The Hands of Doom, DL The Portal, DL Dark Queen, FR Campaign Setting 1st Edition, FR Ruins of Adventure, FR Curse of the Azure Bonds, FR Savage Frontier, FR Waterdeep, FR Waterdeep, FR Adventures, FR Campaign Setting 2nd Edition, FR Ruins of Undermountain, FR Book of Lairs, WG5, WGA4

To be precise

Gray Mouser,Fafhrd,Flint Fireforge,Goldmoon,Verminaard,Tanis Half-elven,Tanis again,Caramon Majere,Raistlin Majere,Flint again,Tasslehoff Burrfoot,Sturm Brightblade,

Goldmoon again,Riverwind,Tika Waylan,Laurana Kanan,Gilthanas Kanan,Elistan,Tass again,Sturm again,Gilthanas again,Silvara,Caramon again,Tika again,

Raistlin again,Laurana chained in front of Takhisis,Lord Soth,Kitiara Uth Matar,Lord Soth again,Kitiara again,Takhisis in human form,don't know,don't know again,Alias,some orc?,Kelemvor as a mortal,

Midngiht as a mortal,don't know,Shandril fighting a Dragonlich if I remember correctly,don't know,don't know,Mordenkaiken,Hand and Eye of Vecna

Gerald Brom:
E4ZDULr.png
5rOaMZd.png
9nNsrds.png
47L8n96.png
8Bzt2oU.png
a73aqzo.png
DX9LLLz.png
HelkN7i.png
7IUBxif.png
z6pFCTv.png
IUNDhAC.png

DLS4 Wild Elves Cover, DLR2 Taladas the Minotaurs Cover, Dark Sun Campaign Setting Box Set (2 portraits) Box Cover, Booklet Cover, DSE1 Dragon's Crown (2 portraits) Cover, Booklet Cover, Dragon Kings Mul, DSR1 Slave Tribes Cover, CGR2 Complete Gladiators Handbook Female Fighter, DSS3 Elves of Athas Cover, Dragon Magazine #197 Cover
Also
Sorak the elfing,some Minotaur,some monster,Agis of Asticles,some gladiator,Belgoi,Rikus,some gladiator,Neeva,some elf,don't know

I might be wrong in some cases since these are just off the top of my head

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom