Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D 5E Discussion

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
So did you get given the pdf for review purposes or did you buy the game?

Like I said, I purchased hardcopy and got sent the pdf in advance. I am not speshul.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
The players' guide pdf was updated and then sent to print.

Many typos were corrected, and a few changes made to Virtues (cultural feats). One of the changes is completely stupid and entirely breaks the balance, making Bardlings ridiculously overpowered, but I guess it can just be ignored by the DM.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
Should I convert from 3.5 to PF or 5e?
More specifically:
1) felt like playing some high fantasy recently, I have a 3.5 campaign planned out, we played one, introductory session
2) apparently was under some rock [well, RPG publishing has died over here] and haven't learned much about new D&D, only really knowing my 3.5/WFRP2 books
3) it looks pretty good

PF and 5e both feel like they deal with a lot of the 3.5 clutter well. I already houseruled a lot of redundant shit away in the pursuit of keeping the core D&D experience relatively anal-free, but maybe I've been going at this the wrong way.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
More specifically:
1) felt like playing some high fantasy recently, I have a 3.5 campaign planned out, we played one, introductory session
2) apparently was under some rock [well, RPG publishing has died over here] and haven't learned much about new D&D, only really knowing my 3.5/WFRP2 books
3) it looks pretty good

PF and 5e both feel like they deal with a lot of the 3.5 clutter well. I already houseruled a lot of redundant shit away in the pursuit of keeping the core D&D experience relatively anal-free, but maybe I've been going at this the wrong way.

If a complex powerbuilding system has appeal to you, 3.5/PF is good. If you feel 3.5 rules are too complex/slow and get in the way of your game, 5e is the answer.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
More specifically:
3) it looks pretty good

Pathfinder is often called D&D 3.75. I can't think of a good reason to not do pathfinder instead of 3.5. 5E is a different beast which may or may not be better.

If you feel like 3.5 was too rules heavy, you should look at 5E.

Edit:I fucking suck

Last edited:

Caim

Arcane
Oh yeah, Paladins are FUCKING HARDCORE in Pathfinder. Way better than the 3.5e versions.

Do note though that Pathfinder is made by a bunch of chucklefucks who believe like if they cannot perform a physical feat like grabbing a weapon hanging from their wrist by a chain nobody can do this and as such it should either not be in the game or be possible only by using magic.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Do note though that Pathfinder is made by a bunch of chucklefucks who believe like if they cannot perform a physical feat like grabbing a weapon hanging from their wrist by a chain nobody can do this and as such it should either not be in the game or be possible only by using magic.
wut

TigerKnee

Arcane
wut
They nerfed something or another because the designer apparently couldn't do it in real life.

b5H3U70.jpg

Modron

Arcane
They nerfed something or another because the designer apparently couldn't do it in real life.

b5H3U70.jpg
Trying to get a grip on a mouse and not a very good analog for a weapon's hilt, one is shaped like a potato and has no weight the other is a heavy rod essentially and much easier to wrap your hand around. I mean ffs umbrellas often employ the same technology but who knows maybe this person is suffering from .

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Paizo's been a gang of idiots for years, I've never denied this. They're the kind of people who are very nerdy, but not very smart. They spent their childhoods shoved into lockers so they're very much against jocks having nice things, but they don't realize or don't care how bad for the game this is.

Lhynn

Arcane
Means noncasters are shit. Much like in 3.5.
You're so wrong.

300px-The_Book_of_Weeaboo_Fightan_Magic.jpg
:lol: You present me with the book of "not as shit as core". They are still very much crap tho.

Let me tell you what the problem with this edition is. The problem with this edition is anything resembling a full caster class. Its completely fucked beyond belief and it is impossible to fix. What you can do to "balance" the classes is make other classes that can break the game easily on their own special ways, but for that they need to alter reality in similar ways, and thats reserved for full casters.

So far the only answer to this conundrum is having only the stupid kids play as casters and the smart guys play as anything else.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
My "Adventures in Middle Earth Player's Guide" just arrived. It has great printing quality, pages look so neat and "clean", feels better than core 5e books do.

Unfortunately, the "improved" versions of Swordmaster and Great Strenght virtues made it to the print.

Dorateen

Arcane
I finally got the hardcover "Adventures in Middle Earth", and it is very well done. Agree, DavidBVal it is crafted better than the official 5E books I've seen so far. The wood-cut style borders along the top and bottom of each page is aesthetically pleasing, and love the maps on the inside covers, including hexes!

While I was inspired by the writings of Tolkien, I never was inclined to role-play in a Middle Earth setting. But this supplement's take on classes and how adventures are structured has been an interesting study.

Also interesting is that Gygax was never a fan of Tolkien, and Tolkien himself was critical about the "gameification" of his works long before the hobby was birthed. And yet this is like the perfect fusion between the two.

middleearth.jpg

Lhynn

Arcane
So new ranger, paladin and monk archetypes are available. Ranger seems to have been fixed with beast master, and both monk archtypes seem to be fairly good.

Dorateen

Arcane
Tolkien himself was critical about the "gameification" of his works long before the hobby was birthed

Can you expand on that a bit? Interesting.

I've read a lot of volumes that his son, Christopher, put together posthumously. These included various letters that J.R.R. Tolkien composed. In one, I think when discussing the subject of his invented languages he said something such as: "One must be very careful not to make a sort of game out of the whole thing..."

I believe he was speaking as a professor of linguistics here, and took his construction of the elven culture and language very seriously. Again, I just find it amusing because of the obvious influence he had on the gaming hobby. This would have been sometime in the early 20th century, and he of course had no idea about the eventual development of role-playing games.

Yes, that looks like the book. Although it can be ordered directly from the Crucible7 publisher in the UK, as well as on Amazon.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Tolkien himself was critical about the "gameification" of his works long before the hobby was birthed

Can you expand on that a bit? Interesting.

I've read a lot of volumes that his son, Christopher, put together posthumously. These included various letters that J.R.R. Tolkien composed. In one, I think when discussing the subject of his invented languages he said something such as: "One must be very careful not to make a sort of game out of the whole thing..."
Sounds like he was concerned about treating language creation as a game rather than serious scholarship. I don't really think you can infer anything about what he would have thought of RPGs from that sentence.

Trias_Betrayed

Scholar
Has some similarities such as kits, simplified which is both good and bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom