Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Cyclopean announced

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
muds_animal_friend said:
dense, quality writing in Lovecraft’s style
Please don't. Lovecraft's prose is the literary equivalent of a deep fried Mars bar.
At least Lovecraft knew it and could laugh at himself.

Lord Rocket

Erudite
Oh, for fuck's sake, please don't. At least, don't base it directly on Lovecraft's work - I somehow get the impression that Chaosium (which already produces a wide range of excellent PnP Cthulhu RP materials) may have something to say about that.
Secondly, if any dumb DnD bullshit like 'levelling up' goes in there, the game is already worthless. As long as you're innovating genre wise, design some unique mechanics too.
Also, licensed CoC game please.

Lumpy

Arcane
Lord Rocket said:
Oh, for fuck's sake, please don't.
Don't what, and why?
Lord Rocket said:
Secondly, if any dumb DnD bullshit like 'levelling up' goes in there, the game is already worthless. As long as you're innovating genre wise, design some unique mechanics too.
So every other RPG in existence gets to use level up, but it would completely ruin this particular one?

There are two sizeable samples of the game's writing over at the Iron Tower forum. Thankfully it's more restrained than Lovecraft's prose and superior to standard CRPG fare. Writing tends to be either underused or badly used in modern games so this project could be quite refreshing.

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/in ... opic=482.0
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/in ... opic=483.0

Also according to Scott (whom I assume is the lead designer)
These texts typically refer, although sometimes obliquely, to available quests, locations or people
So hopefully the text will be better integrated into the gameplay than Morrowind's lore (which was great but largely window dressing).

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Lord Rocket said:
Oh, for fuck's sake, please don't. At least, don't base it directly on Lovecraft's work -
Why not? It'd make for a great rpg setting.
I somehow get the impression that Chaosium (which already produces a wide range of excellent PnP Cthulhu RP materials) may have something to say about that.
The Lovecraft Mythos is public domain. If Iron Tower wants to make an rpg in that universe, they damn well can and don't need permission from Chaosium. As long as Iron Tower uses only Lovecraft's own work (I believe the expanded parts added on by other authors aren't considered pd, not sure) then they can make whatever game they want with it. If Chaosium wants to bitch about them making a Lovecraft game, let them bitch. It doesn't mean "public domain, except for RPGs". Public domain makes no exceptions. I've heard quite a few times about Chaosium trying to exert rights over works of Lovecraft they don't actually own. As long as their role-playing game material does not build upon work copyrighted by Chaosium (which would include original fiction and game text, etc.) or use the phrase "The Call of Cthulhu" there would be no conflict, Chaosium can't really do shit but bitch and moan.

Besides, trying to tell somebody not to make a story using Lovecraft's own ideas would be an insult to Lovecraft himself, since he often encouraged many people to include his creations in their stories.
What would be so bad about leveling up? It's something that's been in almost every damn rpg made, why is it now just becoming a problem?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Jaime Lannister said:
No screenshots = vaporware until proven otherwise.
So, you are not going to pre-order then? Damn!

Hell, AoD looks finished from screenshots...
So did Gothic 3.

Dire Roach said:
But seriously, are traditional RPG elements like stats and turn-based combat really appropriate for the Mythos or any serious horror game?
Why not?

If it's meant to be conveyed primarily through text, it might as well be planned as an adventure game instead.
So, what's the difference between an adventure game and an RPG? The amount of text?

Psycroptic said:
There would always be instances where the hero would punch or wound an enemy to escape, but somehow I don't see anyone doing so much combat that they would level up.
And combat is the only way to level up, of course.

It seems like this might be called an RPG but if it was faithful to the Mythos it actually would wind up being an adventure game with stats.
Why? Is supporting your statements with arguments out of fashion these days?

bozia2012 said:
Would you kindly release the first game before you definitely delve into the realm of vapourware?
Unrelated projects.

Jaime Lannister said:
They're being too ambitious.
In what ways?

How's helping a very skilled writer/modeler and an artist and sharing knowledge, tools, and experience being too ambitious?

Lord Rocket said:
Oh, for fuck's sake, please don't. At least, don't base it directly on Lovecraft's work - I somehow get the impression that Chaosium (which already produces a wide range of excellent PnP Cthulhu RP materials) may have something to say about that.
They can say anything they want. It's a free fucking country, aint it? The game will not be based on or use any of the Chaosium own materials.

Secondly, if any dumb DnD bullshit like 'levelling up' goes in there, the game is already worthless.
Leveling up = worthless game?

Seboss

Liturgist
I'm totally dying for a new Lovecraft's Mythos based game since Dark Corners of the Earth.
I'm glad Iron Tower tackles the challenge. Go for it guys!

buccaroobonzai

Scholar
Iron tower already has a template game engine for their RPGs so using that will speed up production and keep it efficient. They don't need to make a new engine for every game, and using said engine will facilitate timely completion.

The most important factors will be quality of writing, which will convey intersting quests, lore, and atmosphere. Of course environmental setting and form will convey atmosphere as well.

The fact that AoD had enormous amounts of premium non-combat gameplay will of course serve the Lovecraft feel of the game where many choices will be more optimal then combat. If you are worried about tactical turn-based combat in a Lovecraftian game, worry not because AoD usually provides at least three more choices so you can easily play most of the game avoiding combat or using more clever violent tactics then basic "me swing you swing" type combat.

In effect its not the form of the engine that will determine whether it will be full of tactical turn based combat, it will be your build, playstyle and decisions. ANd that sounds amazing for most CRPGs don't even give you a choice...

Fez

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:

I think the complaint is that he feels that levelling up is not in keeping with that world.

I'm glad to hear that the next plan for a RPG from you is one with an interesting world though, rather than resorting to more generic stock. Looking forward to it. Just make sure you finally get AoD out of the door before you worry about it too much and end up with Age of Decadence Forever. :P

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Seboss said:
I'm totally dying for a new Lovecraft's Mythos based game since Dark Corners of the Earth.
I'm glad Iron Tower tackles the challenge. Go for it guys!
DCotE was awesome. Except for the large amount of combat.

Just keep combat to the minimum!

Vault Dweller

Developer
buccaroobonzai said:
The most important factors will be quality of writing, which will convey intersting quests, lore, and atmosphere.
The writing is superb.

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/in ... opic=483.0
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/in ... opic=482.0

If you are worried about tactical turn-based combat in a Lovecraftian game...
TB combat in a Lovecraftian game doesn't mean trading blows with Cthulhu. There are cultists, cops, possessed people, mad scientists, etc.

Fez said:
Vault Dweller said:

I think the complaint is that he feels that levelling up is not in keeping with that world.
Why? I'm not saying the game will have levels, btw, as as you know, AoD doesn't have levels. I'm just arguing because "when in Rome..."

Let's consider the concept* for a second. A normal citizen gets involved in a supernatural story. He learns things he didn't know before, he learns new skills, he kills for the first time, gets better at it, learns to survive, learns how to deal with different things. By the time he's ready to wrap things up, he's a vastly different (and not entirely sane) person.

I think the level system can fit in well, especially if instead of "lvl 1, 250 points till lvl 2!", we'd go with names (instead of numbers) describing his state and knowledge.

* That's not related to Cyclopean's plot in any way and represent nothing but my own thoughts on the subject of Lovecraftian literature.

Walkin' Dude

Liturgist
Play Arkham Horror. It is a board game, but it gives a good idea of what an RPG set in the Cthulu Universe can be.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I don't have anything else to say but this: sounds fucking awesome. Best of luck, Omega dudes.

edit: Seconding Arkham Horror. Perfect game for mojitos.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
This sounds very good so far.

They should consider some kind of "sanity" mechanic: Horrific experiences cause you to lose sanity points, once you've lost a fair amount you gain access to certain "insane" conversation options. Choosing these prevents the recovery of sanity points. If your sanity gets too low, you lose access to the "sane" dialogue options.

Oarfish

Prophet
Or even full on hallucinations manifesting as side quests, changes in descriptions of characters and situations to simulate delusions.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Spectacle said:
This sounds very good so far.

They should consider some kind of "sanity" mechanic:
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/in ... opic=487.0

Sanity Points reflect your character’s overall mental wellbeing, ranging from calm and confident to roving around on all fours, barking mad. Sanity will be explored further in its own thread.

Mythos Points begin at zero and climb whenever the character is exposed to Mythos creatures or events, or participates in certain unholy rituals or rites. When these points reach a certain amount, the player is “corrupted” and may begin to see things invisible to others and be able travel to otherwise inaccessible places. Mythos points will be explored further in the Sanity thread.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Okay, now I am finally interested.
I was a bit sad that I didn't get into the general excitement, but hearing "Lovecraft" doesn't work as aphrodisiac for me, I am more interested in game mechanics.

Walkin' Dude

Liturgist
I really do like the sound of this game. I dig the Lovecraft Mythos. I hope the game is overwhelming and depressing, and even if the game is won, there is still a feeling of defeat.

The name does not do it for me, though. Even though the word is frequently used in Lovecraft writing, the word does not automatically evoke Lovecraft for me.

Also, if you guys do a Deadlands type RPG too, you would be my favorite game development studio ever.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Vault Dweller said:
Spectacle said:
They should consider some kind of "sanity" mechanic:
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/in ... opic=487.0

Sanity Points reflect your character’s overall mental wellbeing, ranging from calm and confident to roving around on all fours, barking mad. Sanity will be explored further in its own thread.

Nice to see them incorporating my idea into the design so quickly, this "Team Omega" seems to be really on the ball! :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom