Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyanide's Call of Cthulhu - "RPG-Investigation" game based on tabletop ruleset

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
I've got a feeling this game will end with "Press X to kill Cthulhu".

Starwars

Arcane
Looks completely boring and uninteresting unfortunately. Even the voiceactor sounds bored.

But man, those flashes SURE WERE SCARY AND UNPREDICTABLE! Ugh...

GandGolf

Augur
... screenshots:

callofcthulhu-03.jpg

http://focus-home.com/en/news/1051-...l-video-game-images-creep-out-of-the-darkness

The barnacles look like they were painted onto the post. Guess modeling them would take up too many polygons...

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
I had a feeling I've seen the guys from the trailer somewhere.

Guess what.
00860ca58a2b1ebec4b0208cb53a38a0.jpg

I wonder if they have Axel Torvenius on the team or if they ripped off his work in some way.

Aenra

I thought this was supposed to be the RPG game, distinct from the (now) new-new Cthulu adventure game.
If it's an RPG, why do previews label it as an adventure game..? And if it is an adventure game, why is it still in this sub section? :S

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Looks completely boring and uninteresting unfortunately. Even the voiceactor sounds bored.
I am OK with undersold VA. Given the choice between this and a Troy Baker edge-a-thon, I'll take low key every time.

Anyway, the upside is that this is a "cinematic" trailer, i.e. completely meaningless re: whether the game will be good.

Nothing in that trailer reminds me of Cthulhu. I'm just saying.
Again, something like this strikes me as much better than LOOK TENTACLES !! In fact I would prefer a game with just a few glimpses towards the end.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I feel like you can't do an understated VO for the post-horror/madness investigator. Would be fine for the pre-horror/madness, but it's very weird given the retrospective way it's delivered.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Not really, Ash used a really good voice actor to do VO for his Deus Ex mod videos. Just need to do some homework and networking.

Of course, you could always just hire sexbad...

Viata

Arcane
It's a FUCKING NOTHING trailer. God, I hate reveal trailer that has only some cut-scenes here and there. By this time, everyone already know about this game so why release a stupid trailer like this that shows nothing about the game but "we got shitty VA for our game"? Can't those faggots wait until they have enough gameplay to make a trailer? Anyway, I got a Murdered: Soul Suspect vibe from this, sadly.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
The trailer is less intriguing than the screenshots they posted with the announcement.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is this an RPG?
It should, they presented it as RPG.
Eh. The only official word I can find on it is a blurb on the Focus website that says "RPG-investigation game". It's also being tossed around that "you play as Edward Pierce", i.e. fixed, pregen protagonist, which means a Geralt of Rivia situation at best. Everything else just says it's "based on" the Chaosium RPG of the same name.

Somehow I doubt we're going to be seeing a screen like this

anywhere in the game.

Old One

Arcane
The problem with a game about Cthulhu is that the player character is supposed to do something about it. Like the actor says in the trailer, "I must stop it."

But you can't stop Cthulhu. That's the whole point of Cthulhu. You're essentially a gnat as far as any elder trans-dimensional chaos spawn is concerned.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
But you can't stop Cthulhu. That's the whole point of Cthulhu. You're essentially a gnat as far as any elder trans-dimensional chaos spawn is concerned.

Unless you are Cthulhu, stripped of your memories and forced into a human body by a powerful Salem witch. At the end of the game you must decide between reclaiming your godhood or embracing your newfound humanity.

---

Arcane
Unless you are Cthulhu, stripped of your memories and forced into a human body by a powerful Salem witch. At the end of the game you must decide between reclaiming your godhood or embracing your newfound humanity.
One can only hope that's the case.
I really would try to hope, if it wasn't developed by Cyanide :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom