Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyanide's Call of Cthulhu - "RPG-Investigation" game based on tabletop ruleset

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
RPS haven't noticed the Frogwares to Cyanide transition either: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/02/26/frogwares-hear-the-call-of-cthulhu-in-2017/

frogwarescoc.png

Nines

Learned
I'm fine as long it's not another walking simulator, Cyanide or not. Still playing Dark Corners from time to time, although I don't think Cyanide will be able to outdo Headfirst, but hey..

Ash

Arcane
Will someone just fucking take Dark Corners of the Earth, remove all the retarded Bethesda action elements and make it a pure adventure game in the same exact setting? Thanks!

What? But then it would just be:

Siveon said:
inb4 walking simulator

And the game may have been published by bethesda, but they clearly had nothing to do with the design of the game, plus I don't see how its "retarded action elements" have much in common with Bethesda design philosophy anyway. Lastly, you're fathoms-deep in subterranean hell & a cultist cthulhu-indoctrinated town, you expect to not have to do some sneaking and shooting? Be realistic, much like the game intends to be by including such elements.

Never mind, looks like the frogwares/cyanide walking sim will be right up your street.

Last edited:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Will someone just fucking take Dark Corners of the Earth, remove all the retarded Bethesda action elements and make it a pure adventure game in the same exact setting? Thanks!
Dark Corners of the Earth had fun combat, and the amount of shooting vs adventuring/sneaking was appropriate, IMO.
Even after I beat the game like 8 times, I still reload the shooting levels just to enjoy that 'weak fuck vs not so weak fucks' gameplay.

Ash

Arcane
Dark Corners of the Earth had fun combat, and the amount of shooting vs adventuring/sneaking was appropriate, IMO.
Even after I beat the game like 8 times, I still reload the shooting levels just to enjoy that 'weak fuck vs not so weak fucks' gameplay.

Exactly, it had everything in decent proportion. You don't even get a gun 'till you're a few hours into the game, it's not like it's fucking counterstrike.

A user named cat

What? But then it would just be:

Siveon said:
inb4 walking simulator

And the game may have been published by bethesda, but they clearly had nothing to do with the design of the game, plus I don't see how its "retarded action elements" have much in common with Bethesda design philosophy anyway. Lastly, you're fathoms-deep in subterranean hell & a cultist cthulhu-indoctrinated town, you expect to not have to do some sneaking and shooting? Be realistic, much like the game intends to be by including such elements.

Never mind, looks like the frogwares/cyanide walking sim will be right up your street.
Walking sim? I didn't realize Gone Home represented the entire adventure genre now. Have you never played Scratches? Darkness Within? Dark Fall? Barrow Hill? Any of the various great Lovecraftian adventure games? These are what DCotE should've been like. Stop excusing the shooting bits, it was garbage.

The first chunk of the game sucked you in balls deep as you're exploring a mysterious, dreery village with creepy, secretive, xenophobic fishermen as you wonder what lurks beneath the surface. Soon enough, the game jumps the literally retarded shark and becomes an utterly shitty run 'n' gunning popamoler with console save points. Obvious Bethesda taint when they dug their filthy publishing fingers in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Apparently old news is old (though it's only been officially confirmed now): http://www.gamepressure.com/e.asp?ID=242

Aug 20, 2015 at 6:40a PST

We’ve learned that Focus Home Interactive’s Call of Cthulhu is being developed by the creators of Styx: Master of Shadows, Cyanide Studio. The game is coming out in 2017.

It seems that Call of Cthulhu is no longer being developed by Frogwares, creators of Sherlock Holmes adventure games. Focus Home Interactive, the owner of the rights to Call of Cthulu video game based on the pen-and-paper RPG, assigned Cyanide Studio for the project – the guys who gave us, among other things, Styx: Master of Shadows and the RPG Game of Thrones. This also means that we will have to wait a bit longner for the upcoming role-playing game inspired by H. P. Lovecraft mythology, as it’s now slated for release in 2017. No details were confirmed as for the game’s content and platforms.

As for Frogwares, seems they’ve split up with Focus and signed a publishing contract with Bigben Interactive, as we read on their official website.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Cyanide usualy meant shovelware but Styx and Bloodbowl are decent games, there is a 50/50 chance of this being good or crap.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Apparently old news is old (though it's only been officially confirmed now): http://www.gamepressure.com/e.asp?ID=242

Aug 20, 2015 at 6:40a PST

We’ve learned that Focus Home Interactive’s Call of Cthulhu is being developed by the creators of Styx: Master of Shadows, Cyanide Studio. The game is coming out in 2017.

It seems that Call of Cthulhu is no longer being developed by Frogwares, creators of Sherlock Holmes adventure games. Focus Home Interactive, the owner of the rights to Call of Cthulu video game based on the pen-and-paper RPG, assigned Cyanide Studio for the project – the guys who gave us, among other things, Styx: Master of Shadows and the RPG Game of Thrones. This also means that we will have to wait a bit longner for the upcoming role-playing game inspired by H. P. Lovecraft mythology, as it’s now slated for release in 2017. No details were confirmed as for the game’s content and platforms.

As for Frogwares, seems they’ve split up with Focus and signed a publishing contract with Bigben Interactive, as we read on their official website.

Hmmm: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...game-from-frogwares.89181/page-2#post-4401039

Nines

Learned
The first chunk of the game sucked you in balls deep as you're exploring a mysterious, dreery village with creepy, secretive, xenophobic fishermen as you wonder what lurks beneath the surface. Soon enough, the game jumps the literally retarded shark and becomes an utterly shitty run 'n' gunning popamoler with console save points. Obvious Bethesda taint when they dug their filthy publishing fingers in.
Is there any reason why a survival horror game based on one of the campaigns from the Chaosium's Call of Cthulhu RPG had to be a point & click adventure? Combat scenes (and mostly everything else) came from that campaign, not from Bethesda.

tormund

Arcane
Cyanide usualy meant shovelware but Styx and Bloodbowl are decent games, there is a 50/50 chance of this being good or crap.
Styx is a surprisingly competent and fun stealth game, so I am at least optimistic about the stealth component compared to bunch of other recent horror games that were designed around sneaking and avoidance.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Is there any reason why a survival horror game based on one of the campaigns from the Chaosium's Call of Cthulhu RPG had to be a point & click adventure? Combat scenes (and mostly everything else) came from that campaign, not from Bethesda.

I don't remember PnP CoC having real time shooting segments, so no.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dark Corners of the Earth is heavily based on the "Escape from Innsmouth" PnP campaign, which has been described as likely the most combat-heavy CoC adventure ever. The video game did add the whole "protagonist is half-Yithian" twist, which is why that part feels kind of tacked on.

Last edited:

Explorerbc

Arcane
I never minded the shooting in DCotE, but to be fair, the first part of the game was indeed much more atmospheric. There was this sense of vulnerability and of an imminent threat lurking in the shadows, while in the late game you just destroyed everything in your way with your shotgun.

Still, it was an excellent game from start to finish. I always wondered why they never made an rpg based on the tabletop version. Anyway, as long as it has "Cthulhu" on the title, it is insta-play.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I'm sure it was Todd who demanded the developers to put in a section where you shot Dagon in the face with a canon.

Also the Flying Polyps part was epic but unneeded.

A user named cat

Since I brought them up, I just saw that both Darkness Within games are in the weekly Humble Bundle. At the very least, I'd recommend coughing up a $1 for the first one if you've never played them. They're Lovecraft to the core and purely adventure. Keep in mind the first game plays like Myst, second one is more Penumbra.

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

Ash

Arcane
Walking sim? I didn't realize Gone Home represented the entire adventure genre now. Have you never played Scratches? Darkness Within? Dark Fall? Barrow Hill? Any of the various great Lovecraftian adventure games? These are what DCotE should've been like.

DCotE is fine as it is.

Stop excusing the shooting bits, it was garbage.

Pretty well done, actually. I love how aiming for extended periods of time caused your aim to sway, how bullets always followed a realistic trajectory no matter the aiming method, how there was forced manual reloading when so many games find it necessary to add auto-reloading, how there was no HUD and you had to deduce your condition by other means, how healing had to be executed in real time and it took a good long while to apply bandages, and so on.

The game never really skips a beat, and keeps things varied by flipping the script back to horror, mystery and intrigue frequently. You act as if there is nothing of merit post-2 hours into the game merely on the grounds that you pop a few moles. It's not even mole popping anyhow, the combat is not mindless insta-regen health cover shooting garbage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_of_Cthulhu:_Dark_Corners_of_the_Earth#Development

Originally there was going to be co-op, deathmatch, a "wide array of weapons" and more. Sounds like Bethesda saved it.

:troll:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom