Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Cyanide to develop a Werewolf: The Apocalypse game

sstacks

Arcane
Werewolves run in packs, that is their trademark. So there are 3 possibilities:
1. They change this into a single character story/game, fuck the lore.
2. They make a MP game out of this where 4 players go around and murder stuff in some action rpg type of game.
3. They make a proper team based RPG where one player controls the pack.
3a. They make a real time combat system (BG or Dragon Age style)
3b. They make a turn based combat system (D:OS) style.

What is most likely?

1 or 2, unfortunately.

sstacks

Arcane
Of all the WoD settings they had to choose the least interesting one? I suspect half of the budget will be spent on gore and transformation animations.

W:tA can be a pretty great setting if you get to smash pretty boy vampires in their goth angsty faces.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Of all the WoD settings they had to choose the least interesting one? I suspect half of the budget will be spent on gore and transformation animations.

Completely disagree. A creative group of Developers could pull off a very interesting story and game within this setting. I DO actually like this setting (I still like VtM better however), and there are some great creative possibilities with it.

Will Cyanide pull this off? Probably not, but I would love to be pleasantly surprised.

Zeriel

Arcane

W:tA can be a pretty great setting if you get to smash pretty boy vampires in their goth angsty faces.

Werewolves are eco activists in Werewolf. They're far worse than vampires on the "faggoty teenager bullshit" spectrum.

sstacks

Arcane

Werewolves are eco activists in Werewolf. They're far worse than vampires on the "faggoty teenager bullshit" spectrum.

But they're beefy and non black lipstick angsty about it :P

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Let's just rename them to werewolf supremacists guys.

Eradicate the corrupted! Only the pure will rule the earth. Suffer not the jewmans to live!

Could be fun.

Zeriel

Arcane
What do you put the odds that Paradox, whose social justice leanings are well-documented, in partnership with a French company of all people, will choose to avoid the obvious Gaia angle? I mean, there's wishful thinking, and then there's expecting the 0.01% chance to pan out.

Harpsichord

Arcane
I always felt like WtA was the most misunderstood of WW settings.

I don't really know why either, as the lore itself lays out pretty clearly a lot of the things people choose to ignore. Namely, that the life of a werewolf is the very definition of short, brutal, and nasty. I mean just consider that:

-there's something like a 50% chance that the moment you realize you're a werewolf is the moment you wake up from a crazy violent dream surrounded by the corpses of your immediate family

-You can't talk to(or hell, even look at) normies without them flipping their shit and thinking you're some sort of murderhobo

-There's a strong chance you'll encounter hostile spirits who will go out of their way to attack you if you hang around anywhere remotely civilized for very long at all

And the downsides just keep going, all of them adding up to a miserable situation of dubious merit that the characters can't walk away from even if they want to. Never mind that the odds are completely stacked against you and the existence you're fighting to save is a miserable shitshow anyway, you will do everything you can to survive, because there's no other choice available.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
It's a real missed opportunity this isn't a fully fledged CRPG/turn-based squad game. Then again people made VTM into a shooter without faction dynamics/politics and it became a cult classic. :M

KILLER BEAR

Educated
You mean like having the option to side with the Anarchs/Sabbat/Kuei-jin early in the game?

DeepOcean

Arcane
I always felt like WtA was the most misunderstood of WW settings.

I don't really know why either, as the lore itself lays out pretty clearly a lot of the things people choose to ignore. Namely, that the life of a werewolf is the very definition of short, brutal, and nasty. I mean just consider that:

-there's something like a 50% chance that the moment you realize you're a werewolf is the moment you wake up from a crazy violent dream surrounded by the corpses of your immediate family

-You can't talk to(or hell, even look at) normies without them flipping their shit and thinking you're some sort of murderhobo

-There's a strong chance you'll encounter hostile spirits who will go out of their way to attack you if you hang around anywhere remotely civilized for very long at all

And the downsides just keep going, all of them adding up to a miserable situation of dubious merit that the characters can't walk away from even if they want to. Never mind that the odds are completely stacked against you and the existence you're fighting to save is a miserable shitshow anyway, you will do everything you can to survive, because there's no other choice available.

To make an story showing the brutal fight for survival as a werewolf it would mean the writers having to abandon the tendency for epicness and making an epic enemy easy to fight. Bloodlines plot won't win the oscars anytime soon but it worked because was centered on you and your condition of new kid in the block. You were a pawn on a power game, nothing more.

Is Cyanide going for restraint and focus on your character, your condition and its problems instead of going full epic saving the world masturbation plot? On the past they shown being a bit more sophisticated than the usual hacks that write for videogames but Paradox is spending real money on this, the pressure to play safe will be big.

Archibald

Arcane
What do you put the odds that Paradox, whose social justice leanings are well-documented, in partnership with a French company of all people, will choose to avoid the obvious Gaia angle? I mean, there's wishful thinking, and then there's expecting the 0.01% chance to pan out.

Final boss Trump?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom