Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Cyanide to develop a Werewolf: The Apocalypse game

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Cyanide Studio; Focus Home Interactive; Paradox Interactive; Werewolf: The Apocalypse - Earthblood

Paradox Interactive acquired the White Wolf brand and the World of Darkness intellectual property back in 2015, and although a suggestive trademark of "Vampire Bloodlines" appeared last year, there was no sign of any new World of Darkness video game. That changes today with the announcement that plucky French studio Cyanide are to develop a Werewolf: The Apocalypse game. The press release is on Paradox's website, although it's Focus Home Interactive who are going to be publishing. I quote:

White Wolf partners with Focus Home Interactive for a video game adaptation of the World of Darkness Storyteller game, Werewolf: The Apocalypse.

White Wolf is pleased to announce its partnership with Paris-based video game publisher Focus Home Interactive for a licensed PC and console game set in the World of Darkness.

The partnership between Focus Home Interactive and White Wolf Publishing concerns the adaptation of a video game based on the acclaimed Werewolf: The Apocalypse. The game will be developed by the game development studio Cyanide (Styx: Master of Shadows, Blood Bowl, Call of Cthulhu…). In the game you will become a Garou, a rage-fuelled Werewolf warrior opposed to urban civilization and the destruction it brings. The Garou are born to fight the corruption of The Wyrm, a powerful supernatural force leading us towards an inevitable Apocalypse.

“The world is dying. When will you Rage? The core question of Werewolf: The Apocalypse is more relevant today than ever before and the cooperation with Focus and Cyanide will finally give gamers the opportunity to revel in the raw power and primal spirituality of the Garou. What is the price of saving the world with fang and claw? Find out for yourself as we explore the darkest corners of a dying planet.”, says Martin Ericsson, Lead Story Teller of White Wolf.

“We are pleased to partner with White Wolf to bring Werewolf: The Apocalypse to life in a video game for consoles and PC. We are excited to work on the World of Darkness universe, as this is formidable playground to tell the players a great story. We are also happy to partner with Cyanide Studio in this adventure – they are behind the original wish to adapt this universe, and we are faithful in their ability to create a game that will please both fans of World of Darkness and newcomers”, says Cédric Lagarrigue, President of Focus Home Interactive

“The World of Darkness universe has always attracted creatives with a strong passion for telling dark and immersive stories. So to work closely with the great talent at Focus Home and Cyanide exploring the Werewolves of this universe is an absolutely fantastic experience for us at White Wolf and we are more than excited to see this great IP realised in a video game”, says Tobias Sjögren, CEO of White Wolf.

More information about this adaptation will come at this year’s Focus Home Interactive event, “le What’s Next de Focus”, taking place in Paris on February 1st and 2nd.​

Sounds pretty popamole, right? In fact, it's not even clear that it's an RPG. Still, at least this tells us that the World of Darkness is back in business, and not just for the sort of low budget titles typically associated with Paradox. Today Cyanide's Werewolf, tomorrow who knows?

Well, crossing fingers here.
With Cyanide the risk of shovelware is always around the corner, but they already surprised me positively a couple of times in recent years, so who knows.

M0RBUS

Augur
It's probably gonna be a Space Hulk spinoff :\ And probably buggy as all hell, considering how Cyanide does their games.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Will probably pirate it, most likely won't buy it. Giving this to French is a mistake if you ask me although maybe we will get a decent action game at least. It's a shame that CD Projekt didn't end up with WoD brand but what can you do? And here I hoped that this mysterious title that Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky are working on is a WoD title. I guess that means nothing from Obsidian will interest me in at least 5 years.

Will probably pirate it, most likely won't buy it. Giving this to French is a mistake if you ask me although maybe we will get a decent action game at least. It's a shame that CD Projekt didn't end up with WoD brand but what can you do? And here I hoped that this mysterious title that Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky are working on is a WoD title. I guess that means nothing from Obsidian will interest me in at least 5 years.

Implying that mysterious Cain and Boyarsky tittle is not interesting in itself.

Rev

Arcane
Well, crossing fingers here.
With Cyanide the risk of shovelware is always around the corner, but they already surprised me positively a couple of times in recent years, so who knows.
Just out of curiosity, which of their games has positevely surprised you?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So..... Focus Home Interactive is licencing Werewolf from Paradox, and they hire Cyanide to make a game in this setting?

:M

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have yet to play a good RPG from Cyanide, but maybe they will succeed in making one at some point.

Hope never dies.

I don't expect a prestigious crpg from this. Most probably will be popamole shovelware.

But important question is will Cynadie include beastality options in romance? Acc. to old world of darkness lore werewolves can breed with regular wolves.
:kingcomrade:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I think a lot of people are underselling Cyanide here. From what I've played of them their games usually suffer from logistical problems like budgets and lack of polish that comes from that, but they're not some no-name mobile developer who was handed a license they have no idea what to do with. They have prior RPG and action/stealth experience under their belt so all is not lost.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Implying that mysterious Cain and Boyarsky tittle is not interesting in itself.
Is it somewhere said that this is the first WoD title being developed? Or is it the first revealed project? In other words, what in this announcement makes you think B&C couldn't work on a WoD title at the same time?

I know I am grasping at the straws, but a man's gotta have his hopes up.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So..... Focus Home Interactive is licencing Werewolf from Paradox, and they hire Cyanide to make a game in this setting?

:M
I was sitting in a plane some weeks ago. Finnair plane & crew, German & Swedish airports, flight was "brought to us" (whatever that means) by a Chinese and an Arabian airline...

Just out of curiosity, which of their games has positevely surprised you?
Aarklash Legacy was a pretty bare-boned "RPG" but a decent tactical game, to name one.
It could teach a thing or two to pillars of Eternity in terms of encounter design.

Also, Styx Master of Shadow was a fairly decent stealth game.

I will be shocked if this turns out to be an actual RPG with any rule similarities to its source material.
It won't. I doubt they could afford it even having the talent for it (which is questionable in the first place).
Better set your expectations straight from the beginning and hope AT BEST for some amusing little game based on the license.

Last edited:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I'd be more interested if they did Mage: the Ascension (Good luck representing the spheres in a cRPG) or another Vampire. Still, any WoD is better than nothing.

aratuk

Cipher
What are some possible reasons that Paradox wouldn't be the ones to publish a game using their own recently-acquired IP? Why outsource to another publisher?

A French publisher for a French developer? Deal already signed when Paradox acquired White Wolf? Paradox as a publisher has too many other projects, or doesn't have the appropriate expertise for this game (in which case, why would they acquire White Wolf in the first place?)?

It looks like most of Cyanide's games have been published by FHI, so maybe it's as simple as Paradox recognizing that Cyanide and FHI are a good partnership, and it's worth cutting FHI into the deal rather than trying the unproven combination of Cyanide and Paradox …?

Last edited:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It used to be the #2 pnp RPG back then, but the nWoD divided the base, and then CCP grabbed the brand and ran it into the ground.

I think it's experiencing a comeback with the 20th anniversary editions, now that the brand isn't held hostage by CCP anymore, but how much I wouldn't know, I haven't kept in the loop.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom