Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cuphead

Idiots at Gamestop think Cuphead - and by extension, every video game that requires some sort of hand-eye coordination to play, has a "problem":

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-problem-with-difficulty-in-video-games/1100-6454074/

Posing such great arguments as "you are able to skip to the last page of a book, why not with games?", and "everyone should see everything in every game, regardless of skill". :incloosive:

Meanwhile, Cuphead has sold over a million copies, 600k on Steam alone. Good to see the gaming lolmedia is so in touch with people who actually play games!

Ash

Arcane
Because of game journo retardation (the dude who couldn't do the tutorial, the others that whined about difficulty) cuphead had over 1 million copies sold. A win for the old school it seems. Well, its success is also owed to the art style too. If it were a standard art style and said retardation never happened, the game likely wouldn't have done nearly as well, and that's a shame. Still, a win for old school styled gameplay nonetheless. Even if it's extremely basic old school gameplay.

And yet...the subjects in the video above is yet another reason to lose faith in general.

Last edited:

Mark Richard

Arcane
Posing such great arguments as "you are able to skip to the last page of a book, why not with games?", and "everyone should see everything in every game, regardless of skill".
Despite insisting games needs to grow up, the games media continue to treat games as toys rather than art. They take the stance that after paying for a game, players are entitled to throw out the developer's intended vision to experience the content on their own terms and mould it into whatever shape pleases them. They're not necessarily wrong - games are both toys and art. But I wouldn't expect the critics of a medium to take such a hardline stance towards the former rather than the latter.

Last edited:
Very often, and increasingly today, there is no 'developer's intended vision'. Gameplay is more often than not reduced to a focus-grouped, focus-tested homogeneous formula that is decided from the top down by marketing executives, and which is numbing and non-threatening (and, by extension, not challenging). It's not so much that the gaming media treats games as toys, because toys require a certain amount of active engagement that these people are not willing or are unable to participate in. Rather, it's their expectation that everything has to conform to the homogeneous paste that they're used to consuming, as in television, movies and other popular media.

Games are neither toys nor art - they're the particular manifestation of a system of engagement that operates according to certain rules, and (to me) indispensably underpinned by overcoming mechanical and/or intellectual challenges that are binary in nature (I mean 'in nature' in a precise sense; it's indispensable). That is, for a game to be engaging, or for a game to be a game at all, you need to be able to fail. Failure includes not being able to progress even if you don't 'die' (as in adventure games of the more lenient, Lucasarts variety). The single most important defining characteristic of a videogame, to me, is that it requires you to overcome challenges within its particular set of rules.

The gaming 'media', such as it is today - thinly veiled millenial political activists who are incapable of articulating their feeble opinions in other, more sincere avenues - would like nothing more than to change the very nature of what is called a game. In their minds, walking simulators in which the player isn't challenged at all are the way forward. In their little neo-revolutionary minds, they want games to become not-games, because they don't like to fail.

Fuck them.

Last edited:

Max Damage

Savant
Love the game, reminds me of Contra (gameplay) and Skullgirls (artstyle). The quality of everything's crazy good, probably my favorite game of this kind.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Wonder why so many gamers bother creating 10+ minutes videos to explain obvious stuff.

He wanted to catch the Cuphead hype train.

This.

Also, never assume that just because me and you know something, that everyone else does. There are devs out there that need to know stuff like this, and it never hurts for players to know this as well.

The video is good in that regard: It's teaching us something.

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
Soulslike.

Everything has to be like Dark Souls.

You just have to say, "X is the Dark Souls of Y!" How else will people pay attention?

Project Cars 2 is the Dark Souls of racing games. Gravelord Nito on the wheel motherfucker! Better watch out for those pesky bonewheels!

It's so dense, every single frame has so many things going on.

People who say it's difficult have probably never touched arcade games like Metal Slug. I managed to beat it with only 3 extra credits people, that's as hardcore and manly as it can get!

Never mind older games of the NES era. Today we have emulators with save and load states, so these games surely don't look as hard as they told me, brother.

Also great visual design, although this art style can be somewhat depressing, depending on one's point of view.

Sorry for the shitpost, my game takes forever to compile and load these days.

Luzur

Good Sir
Ghost and Goblins, Mega Man and Ninja Gaiden is waay harder, so that shit dont impress me, but its seems like a good game anyway.

Hopefully more game devs catch on to this.

Friday.13

Educated
I heard some kids complain about he play this game on easy mode and now he is can't see rest of the game, says it's all developer's fault and he should be allowed to see the rest of the game.
But if he can't even beat the first island in normal mode, how can he beat the rest?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I heard some kids complain about he play this game on easy mode and now he is can't see rest of the game, says it's all developer's fault and he should be allowed to see the rest of the game.
But if he can't even beat the first island in normal mode, how can he beat the rest?

All he has to do is just look it up on youtube. :M

I watched the entire thing this way, so I managed to check out the Cuphead experience without the frustration I've outgrown.

GrainWetski

Arcane

All he has to do is just look it up on youtube. :M

I watched the entire thing this way, so I managed to check out the Cuphead experience without the frustration I've outgrown.
Yeah, playing games sucks. Fucking gameplay getting in the way of my experience.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yeah, playing games sucks. Fucking gameplay getting in the way of my experience.

I enjoy gameplay, I just no longer have the patience to deal with a 45 minute game stretched out into 8 hours through constant retries like I did decades ago.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom