Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TBS Cults & Daggers - build your ancient religion before Christ

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

HALF MOON BAY, CA January 29, 2015 – Rod Humble, the former head of EA Play label which boasted such games as The Sims ® 2 & 3, today revealed details behind Cults & Daggers, a sprawling and complex strategy game set in the Hellenistic era between the death of Buddha and the birth of Christ. Developed and published by Chaphat LLC, the PC & Mac game is launching on Steam on February 12 for $29.99.

As the Old Gods plot to destroy a planet they can no longer rule, you are tasked with creating your own religious faith to fight a secret war for the soul of the world. Recruit loyal disciples throughout the Mediterranean in order to spread your faith by preaching to the masses and converting noble families. Along the way, you’ll have to deal with spies, assassinations, martyrs, occult forces, prophets and blasphemers, all while battling the Old Gods and other rising cults for the hearts and minds of the world.

“With Cults & Daggers, I sought to explore beyond the traditional strategy game model of ‘build and fight’, and offer up a more cerebral experience,” said Humble, CEO of Chaphat. “At the same time, I wanted players to challenge themselves by navigating the chaotic web created by corruption, religious avarice and betrayal as rival factions vie for power.”

Exciting features of Cults & Daggers include:

• Secretly manipulate the rise and fall of great cities throughout 400 years of history

• Gain influence by building temples, performing sacrifices, preaching, recruiting noble families, etc.

• Weaken opponents through blasphemy, assassination, robbery and subversion

• Destroy evil places of power to thwart the Old Gods and earn grand rewards

• Disciple skills include teaching, killing, hiding, performing spells & curses, preaching and more!

• Carefully manage your religion’s Faith and Hope levels in order to gain power and influence

• Spend Faith and Occult to cast spells, and bring curses and miracles to the world

• Extensive Single player with procedurally generated disciples and city data

• Multiplayer for up to 4 via Multiplayer Hot Seat and Play-By-E-Mail (PBEM)

• Procedurally generated technology tree and adventure system

• In-depth modeled spying system allows for deep subterfuge

• Game includes free Cults & Daggers ambient music album

Sounds like Dominions in historical setting without direct combat and with more intrigue.

The game will be released on Feb 12th: http://store.steampowered.com/app/333350

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The mystery cults of the era are pretty damn cool to build an intrigue game around. I see a lot of potential for fun multiplayer with this one. I just wonder how far they're going with the spells, I would kind of prefer something a little more historical based, or at least the option to play that way.

Tigranes

Arcane
Great, finally some creative settings, though I'd prefer less magicking, and a more readable UI.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looks interesting, I'll probably get it, but dear lord the UI looks horrendous.

DakaSha

Arcane
Will buy simply for him leaving in the "son of a bitch", "bullshit" etc in a promotional video. Men gives no fucks

Destroid

Arcane
Looks like fun, very boardgamey looking, even more so than That Which Sleeps. It says it comes out in 3 days but I hope that's early access, the UI is looking pretty awful at the moment. The map is far too zoomed in (there's no reason not to have the whole thing on screen at once with so few important elements), and the GUI elements look poor and hard to distinguish.

Interestingly it didn't have to go through greenlight, I guess being a former EA boss has it's perks.

Brutan

Savant
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't think it's an Early Access release. From what I gather on the Steam forum it's a full release and 30$.

Starwars

Arcane
This looks fun. Not sure how much depth it will have based on the video but yeah, it still manages to look quite fun. UI is really shitty though but we'll see.

Might buy this!

Whiran

Magister
Game is released in 1 hour. Looks good, but I'll wait for the youtube videos to see how deep the game really is.
Same here.

I went looking for a twitch stream - no dice and, of course, so far no let's plays or the like.

I suppose I'll be patient to see how this game pans out.

Starwars

Arcane
I got it, but have only had time to really glance at it.

I dunno, it doesn't give a great first impression. It doesn't seem particularly deep or anything though it's hard to tell how the mechanics will work out in the long run. Doesn't seem like there's a lot of variety considering that the games seem to be fairly long. Still, too early to tell for that stuff.
The UI really makes the experience a bit painful though. It's terrible. And just visually, it could've used a lot of improvement, especially for the "end of turn" summaries. It's kinda hard to tell what's going on at times. Granted, I'm really tired right now but I dunno. It could use some additional cue for when stuff happens to *you*, like the event window being red-tinted when something bad happens to one of your disciples because I can't be arsed to remember their actual names.
There are also simple things like spelling mistakes (pursuation!) that just makes it seems very unprofessional.

Not really impressed (especially considering the price) so far but will have to play more to evaluate fully. I do hope the dev can continue updating the game and improving it as the general idea is fun. He responded right away to one of my suggestions and is gonna implement it so that bodes well at least.

Brutan

Savant
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What you see in the play-through video is what you get. Really, there's little if anything left out. So yeah, the game is far from deep. I went through 40 turns (first step out of seven) and kinda got bored(about 90 minute of playtime). I will try it again in the weekend. Anyways, for 23+ euros it's not much of a game. Still I don't regret buying, I like the feeling I get while playing it. The UI doesn't bother me much but I have to agree you can get the idea that it might have been sabotaged (as in purposely made that bad).

DakaSha

Arcane
lol it uses icons from Tome4 (or the same free icons that tome4 uses)

hivemind

I haven't played it yet as I have no money but judging from the steam community page and the demonstration video the developer seems like a really nice guy who is passionate about the game. Will most definitely buy it in a few days.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The gameplay video didn't really interest me, I decided against picking it up. Looks very detached from history, abstract, and kind of a simplistic bore-fest.

Starwars

Arcane
I haven't played it much but yeah, it's lacking in depth. I mean, the simple gameplay is kinda fun in its own right actually. But it's fun more like solitaire (bad example) than what the setting and idea seems to demand. It'd be a lot better if it dove into the setting more, if characterized the world, if there were more underlying mechanics to delve into.

So yeah, it's kinda fun but shallow. The price is too high for what you get at the moment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom