Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Cthulhu Saves Penny Arcade

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Penny Arcade; Zeboyd Games

In a little bit of RPG Cthulhu-related news spotted at Eurogamer, Cthulhu Saves the World developer Zeboyd Games is making Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness: Episodes 3 and 4.

Why look at me like that? It's a turn-based PC RPG, duh.

The game continues the adventures of Penny Arcade comic character Tycho Brahe and chum Jonathan Gabriel in the world of New Arcadia. Like previous games in the series, it's a role-playing game, with Zeboyd's trademark stylized pixel-visuals.

"Zeboyd has essentially mastered the Throwback RPG as an art form," said Penny Arcade's Jerry Holkins. "This isn't their first time to the rodeo. They are true rodeo enthusiasts. I forget what we were talking about."

Zeboyd's Robert Boyd added: "With Penny Arcade's On the Rainslick Precipice of Darkness 3, we've taken elements from various classic RPGs and fused them with our own ideas of how a fast-paced turn-based RPG should play. Working with Penny Arcade and in the unique world of New Arcadia has been great and we hope everyone enjoys the game!"

MXk7y.jpg

The announcement of the game comes as something of a surprise, given the troubled development of the first two games in the series.​

Source: Eurogamer

Eyeball

Arcane
Meh. I actually enjoyed the Penny Arcade games - they were very attractive and I thought the QTE/minigame based JRPG combat system was pretty well done. Writing was Penny Arcade standard, meaning it was about as funny as child rape, but it could easily be clicked through and mostly ignored. I do not regret pirating them.

This game will probably use the Cthulhu combat system, which was fucking faggoty, and PA writing, which is even more faggoty. Pass.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The first two games were ok for what they were. Although I'm not big fan of this style of graphics it does suit the setting well. Will most likely buy it.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I'm easily amused but I enjoyed the two first games for what they were. Cthulhu saves the world less so. guess I'll get it from the swedish bay of buccaneers and toss them some jewgold if I am amused by the first few hours.

Repressed Homosexual
Penny-Arcade is garbage, and its two creators egotistical maniacs, so even if their games have decent gameplay elements in and of themselves, there is no reason to cope with them at when there are countless great games to play.

zeitgeist

Magister
So what happened to the people who made the first two games and to that engine? Why has it been changed to this?

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hothead games are fine, they made DeathSpank. And due to DeathSpank they abandoned working with PA. Both PA and Hothead are very tight on the details on what exactly happened.

Eyeball

Arcane
True. CSTW was extremely standard fare both in terms of graphics and boring JRPG gameplay with very little challenge or cohesion. It was mildly funny, but it's still sitting unfinished on my hard drive since it's far from funny or original enough for me to bother completing.

This is a match made in heaven - CSTW's shit graphics and gameplay coupled with PA's shit humour, GOTY 2012!

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Penny-Arcade is garbage, and its two creators egotistical maniacs, so even if their games have decent gameplay elements in and of themselves, there is no reason to cope with them at when there are countless great games to play.
Agreed, especially now, with kickstarter providing a constant stream of promising RPGs, we can finally stop fapping to things like webcomics egotrip games because "OMG they are turn-based!". 2012 is a great year. :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom