Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crytek bankruptcy watch thread

Wyrmlord

Arcane
CryTek's Warface is currently released in Russia and China in beta form, as their experiment in free-to-play gaming. Its Korean branch developed this game.

Apparently, this experiment has worked out so well that CryTek will ONLY make F2P and MAINLY release them in Asian markets where F2P is popular. So basically, CryTek is now a Korean style game developer.

Strange how radical this shift is from their usual single-player focused games.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Warface was mainly developed by Crytek Kiev. Also some help from Frankfurt and Seoul.

They still have Crysis 3, Homefront 2 and Ryse in development. After that they want to switch, but I doubt they can survive from F2P alone. I don't buy that. They'll come back to retail gaming eventually.

hiver

Who would have though that huh?
The first AAA design studio going fully free to play eh?

Instead of always online, fascistic DRM route and money grabbing shit.

:incline:

of Crytek.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Who would have though that huh?
The first AAA design studio going fully free to play eh?

Instead of always online, fascistic DRM route and money grabbing shit.

:incline:

of Crytek.

Technically the F2P is an always-online multiplayer shooter, whose DRM consists of you being always online to play, with a retarded microtransaction in-game money grabbing store

:decline:

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Warface was mainly developed by Crytek Kiev. Also some help from Frankfurt and Seoul.

They still have Crysis 3, Homefront 2 and Ryse in development. After that they want to switch, but I doubt they can survive from F2P alone. I don't buy that. They'll come back to retail gaming eventually.

Some of the biggest companies in the buisness are F2P and there are several success storys with switching to F2P. Your best hope is that Warface just doesn't take off and bombs.

Wyrmlord

Arcane

CryTek is making Homefront 2? So they took over from another developer?

Good thing, since this seems to be the quality of the original Homefront.

Whether or not you like CryTek, you have to agree they are a better bet than the previous developer.

CorpseZeb

Learned
Homefront? The one of shortest game in the market...? Oh, I get it. Koreans - the common denominator.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Heck, I like(d) Crytek.

But F2P means they're gonna make multiplayer shooters only, right? Maybe an online RPG too, who knows? If that's the case, the company is dead to me.
Hopefully, F2P may mean a singleplayer game based on microtransactions too.

Angthoron

Arcane
Yeah, but what's the point of a singleplayer game with tons of microtrannying when you can't show off the size of your wallet-cock to your friends?

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Heck, I like(d) Crytek.

But F2P means they're gonna make multiplayer shooters only, right? Maybe an online RPG too, who knows? If that's the case, the company is dead to me.

Wrong crowd. Only MMO sheeple is willing to shell out real money for horsie armor and new laser guns and nonsense like that.

I mean seriously. What's wrong with Crytek? I see they have 600 employees to feed, being independent is hard today, publishers setting ridiculous requirements and dead lines an all must piss them off, but F2P is not the path to go. Partially yes, but not it's entire operations.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Heck, I like(d) Crytek.

No reason it couldn't be. Just live-steam ads over loading screens and stuff.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Morgoth just for you:

http://venturebeat.com/2012/06/08/ea-sports-chief-leading-the-charge-into-digital-games-interview/

Long story short - Only in South Korea F2P FIFA brings EA $100 mln annually. Imagine what will happen when EA will spread this to the whole world. They will reach $1 bln in no time.

"Free" to play my ass. It's the most profitable business model yet.

Your bro has better stats than you and you keep losing to him? No problem - $20 and you are all set with a stat booster. Envy is a great bydlo emotion - the driving force behind all F2P.

FeelTheRads

Arcane

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Awesome. Gaming further deteriorating into automated milking-machines. Quick money wins again, humanity loses.

Is it even possible these days to sell a product based on quality and content and not by milking the dumbfucks?

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

Christ... so many platitudes... I don't think I've read something so retarded in a long time...

Yeah. You know, I’m personally a fan, I think many people in our sports organization are personally fans.

The ink is literally still wet on the deal. But certainly when we announced the ink was still wet.

:retarded:

Remember the fucking Awesome-Button guy!

Wyrmlord

Arcane
"The ink is literally still wet on the deal. But certainly when we announced the ink was still wet."

Yeah, what the hell does that mean?

Long story short - Only in South Korea F2P FIFA brings EA $100 mln annually.
Oh my god, that's a money printing machine.

At this rate, every new game will be F2P.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Free 2 Pay :salute:

There are (exceedingly rare) cases of F2P done right. RIOT is on the right track with the main motivation to throw jewgold at them being vanity skins that do nothing ingame.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
"Huge problems ahead" for mid-tier console developers.

Mid-tier? Those died a long time ago already with the advent of the Xbox 360 and PS3. If a company with so much muscle and technology like Crytek already shies away from AAA, excuse me, AAAA titles (the new shit), what's gonna happen to the likes of Obsidian?

Oh I see, so Southpark is like that new direction for Obsidian's future? Fuck.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I wanted to develop a F2P game too. Too bad I don't have talent and other stuff required for developing games.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
From the interview:

Also featured on the panel, Peter Molyneux said that realistically triple-A titles had to sell between five to seven million to achieve that status, and could cost anywhere between £50m to £80m to develop and market.

Need to sell 5 to 7 million units? If the publisher gets something like ~$23 per $60,- game back, and you sell 5 million units of that, that's still $115 million in your pocket. Since the gentleman is talking about pound sterling, his math is actually not too far off.

Fuck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom