Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Crying Suns - FTL-like tactical space roguelite set in Dune-inspired universe

Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/106952529/crying-suns

http://www.cryingsuns.com

https://af.gog.com/game/crying_suns?as=1649904300

Description

CRYING SUNS is a rogue-lite and tactical game where you explore a dying galaxy as a space fleet commander. As a deep story-driven game experience, each successful run will uncover a part of the underlying truth about the fall of the galactic Empire.

History
After 700 years of peace and prosperity, the Galactic Empire has suddenly been shattered into pieces. The OMNIs, god-like machines which did everything for their human masters, have mysteriously shut down. And humankind, having long since lost the ability to survive on its own, is dangerously close to extinction. But somewhere in a far corner of the Galaxy is Gehenna, a planet of ice and rock and a top-secret facility that is the pinnacle of Imperial Tech and also humanity’s last chance. You are a clone of Admiral Ellys Idaho, a weapon fashioned from flesh, the best Imperial Admiral ever to battle in the stars and you have just been awoken on this planet by its strange and darkly-humorous Guardian, Kaliban, the last functional OMNI to exist. Your mission: skillfully command a battleship through the Empire's now chaotic, violent clusters ––where one wrong move could be your last–– as you try to reactivate the OMNIs and save the future of all humankind. But you must leave Gehenna now.... for time has almost run out.

Features
  • Space exploration in a procedural generated universe.
  • Tactical fights between BattleShips and their squadrons fleets.
  • A deep and dramatic storyline inspired by our favorite S-F universe (Foundation, Dune).
  • A mix between pixelart style graphics, 3D and HD special effects.
  • Prepare to die very often, it's a roguelite game... And it's a hard one...
  • (Demo already available on the website)

00-Awakening.gif

04-Fight-mix.gif

10-dialog.png

14-pre-expedition.png

16-vivar.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Balor

Arcane
Dunno, seems good to me and they even have a playable demo... something I cannot say about Star Citizen :).
I dig the art style at the very least. Very classy.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I was wondering if someone would open a topic about this, game seems to be pretty cool. I watched a play through of the demo and liked what I've seen.

Balor

Arcane
You can get it too, just need to subscribe to their mailing list (and you can unsubscribe later).
While the combat is pretty simplistic, the atmosphere is top-notch: they've managed to take Wh 40K and make it even darker and grimmer! (And much ligher on pathos). Not everyone may like that, though.

Only complaint is that they shameless 'borrowed' stuff from pretty much everywhere in a very blatant fashion - Everspace, Matrix, Wh40k, Star Control just to name something that really stands out (and waves a huge red flag)... but how it will turn out will depend on execution, and I'm liking what I'm seeing so far.

ArchAngel

Arcane
You can get it too, just need to subscribe to their mailing list (and you can unsubscribe later).
While the combat is pretty simplistic, the atmosphere is top-notch: they've managed to take Wh 40K and make it even darker and grimmer! (And much ligher on pathos). Not everyone may like that, though.

Only complaint is that they shameless 'borrowed' stuff from pretty much everywhere in a very blatant fashion - Everspace, Matrix, Wh40k, Star Control just to name something that really stands out (and waves a huge red flag)... but how it will turn out will depend on execution, and I'm liking what I'm seeing so far.
Mass effect is basically a mix of Star Wars, Star Trek and others.. so what.. everyone borrows from others.

Balor

Arcane
Mass effect is basically a mix of Star Wars, Star Trek and others.. so what.. everyone borrows from others.

Well, yea, you need to stick to some conventions (like, say, language :)) or nobody will simply understand you.
But it just *seems* a bit too blatant for me - though the effect might be actually intentional.

Balor

Arcane
What they really nailed is a relatively not-well explored idea how AIs can screw us if they simply shut down (as opposed to a tired cliche of 'going rogue').
I think Mask's Neuralink is supposed to address just that.

Ranarama

Learned
I have reservations about the combat system. Mostly about how the main ships always seem to be stationary on the edges.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I have reservations about the combat system. Mostly about how the main ships always seem to be stationary on the edges.
They are capital ships. Think Star Destroyers or ships from BSG. They mostly stand still and take the beating while trying to dish out their own.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The OMNIs, god-like machines which did everything for their human masters, have mysteriously shut down. And humankind, having long since lost the ability to survive on its own, is dangerously close to extinction. But somewhere in a far corner of the Galaxy is Gehenna, a planet of ice and rock and a top-secret facility that is the pinnacle of Imperial Tech and also humanity’s last chance. You are a clone of Admiral Ellys Idaho

Are they...are they ripping off the Dune prequels? O_o

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've played it a little. I agree with Balor, they made something more grimdark than wh40k. But I have no idea if it can stay interesting for a complete run. I failed three time and saw little interest in retrying, just to reach the end of the first sector (out of 24).

Some pics:

sd5kbkB.png

Npbx11w.png

I like how the color of the star change the color of the main characters.

lhvbnXs.png

Wr9MsUM.png

6Sd7mHQ.png

Some grimdark.

Edit: Also, considering the graphics, I was surprised that my (old) laptop ran rather hot, with the fan working at max speed.

Last edited:

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The OMNIs, god-like machines which did everything for their human masters, have mysteriously shut down. And humankind, having long since lost the ability to survive on its own, is dangerously close to extinction. But somewhere in a far corner of the Galaxy is Gehenna, a planet of ice and rock and a top-secret facility that is the pinnacle of Imperial Tech and also humanity’s last chance. You are a clone of Admiral Ellys Idaho

Are they...are they ripping off the Dune prequels? O_o

They are ripping off Dune even further, since the robot that awake Idaho ask for his help and says that if Idaho refuses, it'll kill him and just wake another clone.

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Just learned that Primordia was one of their inspirations, which is a pleasant surprise. Since we never got around to making Star Captain, I've hoped to see other games in the same vein, and this seems to be one.

Lagi

Savant
I played the demo few times.
graphic and story (text to read) is great.
game wise its very poor - not enough decision to do.

ground combat looks very cool, but its badly executed. No decision during expedition. when retreating you choose to take soldiers or loot - WTF?!!
Ground team go from node to node (they go on foot?! why they dont use drop-ship) and make skill check, this would be mildly exciting if you could affect somehow those skill checks (preparation before (selected equipment), scan result => decision where to deploy drop-ship).
You always send commandos which make sens if its hostile area (if its so combat heavy why no use outdoor vehicles?! then infantry only if exploring structures); usually you should send some engineers for scraps or discover stuff. team composing to best match risk/chances will be interesting ... [i would have to write my wish-idea... :/ who cares nah..]

N-fuel is to scarce. its one per solar travel and planet travel. why its the same cost? couldnt the main space ship travel between planets just with light speed, its few hours max anyway.

not enough scraps. everything is too expensive. 9scrap for 1x commando and you lose like 5 each expedition. Upgrade cost ~75. And you gain about 30 scrap each other successful event.

space combat have no choice. rock-paper-scissor selection of ship. I manually control each ship group like in RTS :-/ . heroes have just default place.
space combat should have slow time mode, just to admire the graphics. each encounter feel the same. also zoom in would be nice - or reduce the battle field size = less time to travel to opponent space ship.

on galaxy screen you can see that someone is chasing us (that's cheap FTL ripe-off).

I was hyped after seeing the introduction and graphic, but now i pass. I have more fun with Curious Expedition or even with Convoy.

Lagi

Savant
I install just for "comparison" FTL yesterday. I finished at 1:30 am [FFS i have lots of important stuff to do:?].

I have awesome Kestrel with all the bells and whistles, 5x crew (yellow bars), all system near top power, loads of missiles. None ship have any chance with me (combat become little tedious).

Near flaring sun I was aboarded by Mantis. Decided to jump with invaders on board to next nod to avoid environmental damage ("I blow ships with no damage anyway"). It start with event enemy crew on board.
Opening doors to suffocate bastards - cant describe how exhilarating that was (i should improve doors more!). Too bad foes damage my O2 system. My repair-men cannot fix it on time - everybody go to sleep.

that much thing having impact, that much decision to make, information so clearly presented on single screen, that less time required to see the effect - well that is a GAME.

FTL is legendary (like MoO2, MoM, JA2, Myth). 20 years from now people would be asking about "any game like FTL?"

ArchAngel

Arcane
I tried playing the updated demo. I found it interesting but there is not enough content in it to be a real judge of it. Combat could become more complex and interesting later when you can upgrade your ship multiple times and face enemies with stronger ships that can attack you with multiple abilities.
Since you will not be able to do everything at same time, combat could become interesting.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
I'm ready

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom