Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crusader Kings 2: The tl;dr guide to pagans

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Alright, I've figured out how to soft-unlock Pagans (+ Muslims and Zoroastrians, but the Codex probably doesn't care).

First, you gotta look up the ID of the ruler you want to play as. Easiest way to do this is to create a "Test" save for day one of the game, and then search for the monarch name in parenthesis. Since I'm shameless, I'll explain this with the High Chief of Karelia, who is named Aimo.

1) I create a save file named Test.
2) I open the file in WordPad and search for "Aimo" (remember, parenthesis).
3) I check Aimo's ID and write it down (it's 28004).

Now we have the groundwork done, so let's move forward.

1) Launch CK2.
2) Begin the game normally by selecting a Christian ruler.
3) Activate the following cheat: play [character ID] (in this case, I type in play 28004)
4) Voila, I now rule Karelia!

Next you'll probably want to remove the save game restriction, so you don't have to fuss about with ID checking all the time. To do this, we use an exploit in the game's mechanics, which normally allow you to play pagans that converted to paganism. Luckily, there's a cheat handy for this thing too:

1) As your pagan/muslim/zoroastrian, activate the religion [name of religion] cheat.
2) You have to convert to one of the Christian religions.
3) So, you type in (for example) religion orthodox
4) Now you're a bible-humping Christian. You need to return to your roots.
5) Type in the conversion cheat again, in our example case of Aimo and Suomenusko, religion finnish_pagan.
6) Huzzah, you can now load the game for your pagan as well!

And there you have, pagans unlocked. Though now someone has to start modding in stuff for them, like Mercs and so on...

Anyway, here's a list of all the pagan religions names as the game recognizes them:

Suomenusko = finnish_pagan
Romuva = baltic_pagan
Norse = norse_pagan
Tengriist = tengri_pagan
Generic Pagan = pagan

Zoroastrians are their own religious group, Zoroastrian = zoroastrian.

Muslims and their various fun subsections:

Sunni = sunni
Zikri = zikri
Yazidi = yazidi
Ibadi = ibadi
Shiite = shiite
Bektashi = bektashi
Druze = druze
Hurufi = hurufi

curry

Arcane
Speaking of Finnish pagans, it's funny how they decided to use post-17th century surnames as dynasty names. And how the Finnish paganism is called "Suomenusko" which is a Neopagan movement. :decline:

By the way, although I haven't taken a look at the character files yet, I have an idea how to mod them playable. If the game tags people converted to Paganism somehow, just use a text crawler to tag all Pagans and Muslims "converted" in the files.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
That's the kind of problems you get when you try to fit illiterate tribes into a game about civilized dynasties.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Until there's a mod that differentiates pagan from christian kingdoms and adds new content, I'm not going to do this just to have "Norse" in my character's religion field instead of "Catholic".

If you really want to do this I think you can just edit your save file, it contains the details for each character in the game, so you could just look up your king and change the field. Although, now that I come to think on it, will that still allow you to continue play? I can't be bothered to find out.

Vaarna_Aarne

To be able to continue, one monarch must have been Christian at some point and then converted. Editing the save file won't do. The method outlined above the only method that works.

curry

Arcane
To be able to continue, one monarch must have been Christian at some point and then converted. Editing the save file won't do. The method outlined above the only method that works.

Well the game somehow knows that a Monarch has been converted. That's somewhere in the files, you just need to find it.

Vaarna_Aarne

It does so by checking character history notes in the save. Modding those would be a pain in the ass, the method I just put up is way simpler.

curry

Arcane
You could add an event that fires for all the rulers when the game starts, first converting them to another religion and immediately back to their original religion.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It's much easier and doesn't require modding:
1) Chose someone close to your desired pagan dynasty
2) Have him marry someone from that pagan dynasty
3) Have your heir educated by someone from that pagan dynasty
4) Your heir will now be pagan
5) Uppon succession, you will be pagan
6) Make sure to replace all advisors with pagan ones and also educate your sons as pagans

Luzur

Good Sir
i am kinda impressed though how they managed to find heraldry for every damn count and town mayor on the map.

90% of those must be made up, i doubt anyone can find any proof or a picture of what heraldshield the chief of Karelia had in 1066.

curry

Arcane
i am kinda impressed though how they managed to find heraldry for every damn count and town mayor on the map.

90% of those must be made up, i doubt anyone can find any proof or a picture of what heraldshield the chief of Karelia had in 1066.

Yes, most of the heraldry is generated from a seed, they're not real.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I wish they could have made a generator that generated coats of arms according to the actual rules of heraldry. Most of the designs are decent enough, but the colors are crazy.

Also, it turns out pagans and muslims are hardcoded to be unselectable on the start screen to keep modders from pre-empting the inevitable muslim and pagan dlcs. :decline: of Paradox.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Play Medieval total war 2, if you want to conquer EU from south.

sser

Arcane
Developer
What was their reason for dropping out the Muslims?

Vaarna_Aarne

I wish they could have made a generator that generated coats of arms according to the actual rules of heraldry. Most of the designs are decent enough, but the colors are crazy.

Also, it turns out pagans and muslims are hardcoded to be unselectable on the start screen to keep modders from pre-empting the inevitable muslim and pagan dlcs. :decline: of Paradox.
Circumvented already, so they might as well patch the restriction out I say.

oscar

Arcane
I can't see the point in playing a Pagan or Muslim. The whole game's mechanics and events are centered around you being a Christian feudal monarch/duke/baron. Whose going to care about you banging the servant in a religion where you can have 15 wives?

When the expansions to make them playable come out with their own mechanics, or good mods, then yeah. Vaarna has that uber-nationalism thing going too (although why not start with Sweden, conquer Finland then change your primary title?)

Vaarna_Aarne

And be a goddamn Swede? Nope. It's way more fun to play the unification game (actually gives me an immediate idea for Finnish and Baltic pagans for gameplay purposes: A unification ambition for player characters).

Well, there's already plenty of meat on dem bones for pagans and muslims from get-go, and it's easy to work up from there due to the flexibility of the Clausewitz engine.

Actually, why wouldn't we Codexers get together and start working on a mod for expanding non-Christian gameplay? It's not that hard to mod this stuff you know, coming up with ideas and playtesting all of it is. Hell, one guy over at Paradox forums has created an almost complete year 9th century start mod with new dynastic lines and titles. In less than a week.

I'm more interested in a mod that would just tweak and fix the gameplay and maybe add in Empire titles for certain geographic areas (while making it harder for Empires to be so damn unstoppable).

Vaarna_Aarne

I'd assume based on my Kingdom experience that Empires would be teetering on the brink of civil war 24/7. Do they get a vassal opinion bonus or something?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom