Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crpgs with good Ironman modes.

Trip81

Novice
The title says it all. Are there rpgs out there with a good ironman mode? The last ironnan mode i playd was in ufo enemy unknown. I know this game isnt really a crpg but because of the "light stats" this game has i use it as an example. I played this game for hours and hours and lost all my playtime because of the game not my fault. I placed 2 of my marines infront of a door to overwatch it so that no alien could flank my only vulnarable spot. But the game decided that my 2 vetern marines wouldn hit an alien 1 meter infront of them so the alien could kill both marines. My whole team died because of that and i was done with ironman for a long long time. This isnt thr kind of ironman i want so i ask again is there a rpg out there with a really really good ironman mode. Or a game with very rare savespots so i can feel thr tension of danger losing all my progress?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, Pillars of Eternity will have an Ironman mode.

I don't think many modern non-roguelike RPGs have a mechanism that actually enforces this.

Last edited:

Trip81

Novice
Thx for the answer. And whats with rare save spots. Something like you only csn save in town and when you enter a dungeon for one or more hours you cant save. Or something like that. Somethinh that pushes my heartbeat. I want a dungeon or something like that to feel very dangerous if you know what i mean.

Trip81

Novice
@wizardry. Which parts. If i remember correctly 1 - 5 doesn have sonething that you could csll graphics. Thr crpgs i play doesnt need to have goot graphics but it should have colours on the wall. Maybe something else

@neo scavanger? Whats that? Never heard of it.

And thx for the early answers i really apreciate that. And sorry for my bad english :(

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Japanese, and not for PC, but Fire Emblem. I don't know what the best games in the series are.

You might also want to give the fan made X-com clone Xenonauts a try. It smooths things out quite a bit and isn't as random as the original was.

There's also the strategy-rpg hybrid Eador which has an interesting semi-iron man system (your heroes go back to town similar to Heroes 3, but units level up and can die).

Perkel

Arcane
Neo Scavenger. There is no soft men mode in that game and it is awesome

Trip81

Novice
@grimrock man i would looooove this game if would unterstand how the combat should be fun. I dont know if im just to dumb to play it or if its the combat that sucks. I run backwards in circles and click on every button without cooldown. In my opinion this isnt fun @all. Like i said maybe its my fault i dont know.

Somehow i feel bad asking for game advices and saying nope i dont like that and that....

I should say i prefer turn based combat. Prefer is the wrong word. I LOVE turn based combat. Maybe this helps.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Early Wizardries, Bard's Tale games, and some of the Might&Magic games have good Ironman "mode", in that even if your whole party is wiped out it's not Game Over, since you can recruit new characters to resurrect the old party.
This, combined with no saving in the dungeons, is a good way to encourage Iron Man play.
Are there any more modern games with similar mechanics?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Are there any more modern games with similar mechanics?

Heroes of a Broken Land? You rule the kingdom, send groups to clean dungeons and bring prosperity to the kingdom. I'm sure you can send rescue group for rescue group that must save rescue group that failed at saving rescue group when they tried to rescue group.

Trip81

Novice
@jrpgs not the kind of game i search. :)

@ neo scavanger this looks very hot but since it looks like this is early acces. This game has to wait.

dark souls: i love the from software games but this isnt the kind of game i search.

@bards tale: this sounds hot i will look at this fine games. Thx for that. This sounds exactly like the kind of game i search.

Trip81

Novice
@broken land: can your group level up in continue in your whole campaign playthrough? If yes i thinky mind is blown have to look at it (im at work right now) and somehow i dont understand this game.

@fallout: fallout 1 and 2 in mind fallout 3 was a big dissapointment i understand that. But i loved the game for what it was. Im hope im not free to kill now :) enemy no 1 something like that. Just my humble opinion

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
@jrpgs not the kind of game i search. :)

@ neo scavanger this looks very hot but since it looks like this is early acces. This game has to wait.

dark souls: i love the from software games but this isnt the kind of game i search.

@bards tale: this sounds hot i will look at this fine games. Thx for that. This sounds exactly like the kind of game i search.
I'm pretty sure he was trolling with Dark Souls since it's not ironman at all and dying is like main mechanic of the game.

Also you write @ followed by the username it will tag that user and give them a notification. So, you notified the user "dark" here.

Trip81

Novice
I'm pretty sure he was trolling with Dark Souls since it's not ironman at all and dying is like main mechanic of the game.

Also you write @ followed by the username it will tag that user and give them a notification. So, you notified the user "dark" here.

I dont know if he trolled me. (But maybe you know him and so you are right) i thought he ment that dark souls falls unter the rare save points point which i added. Trolled or not trolled a party based dark souls with turn based combat dungeon crawler game. Jesus after that i could die as a very happy men.

Sadly this forum isnt really iphone friendly so i think i have to edit the post later. Thx for the advise. Now i know why i got an alert.

APGunner

Augur
Wizardry 8 had an ironman mode. I remember bugging out and falling through the ground a couple of times. Good times.
With a good party composition and latest patch, Wizardry 8 can be doable on ironman.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
More than 20 posts in and no mention of Jagged Alliance 2? ...

Temple of Elemental Evil? ... watch out for bugs (most addressed by Co8..)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom