Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CRPGAddict

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Can we make fun of his Rance review while he's still here?

This right here encapsulates everything I can't stand about this site. No additional commentary, no context, just an implicit understanding that we should all laugh at the guy who didn't like a game about raping women.

And let's be clear: the game just isn't about "sort-of" rape. People tell me the sequels are, but I haven't played them. The one I reviewed is about actual rape. No, the victims don't "secretly like it"--they beg and cry and scream. Have we really gotten to the point where someone is an "SJW" because he's against rape?

So I wrote a negative review about that. In the review, I tried to analyze why rape is so much worse than violence, which players commit in almost every game. I also tried to put the rape part aside and discuss the game's merits as an RPG, as well as its non-rape humor.

But clearly I'm worthy of ridicule for writing about such things, because...why? I'm seriously asking. Don't just quote the last line. I agree, it's not great. I was looking for a way to wrap it up, and that's what I came up with. But what makes the totality of the review so risible? What would you have written about the game?

I really want to have a discussion about this. Don't just tag this post with "butthurt." Don't just offer some dismissive comment making fun of me. Discuss the issue with the same fervor you've put into "less" and "fewer." Help convince me that spending any more time on this site is worth my time.

There are two problems here. The first is that you are wrapping several different topics of discussion into one catch-all question:
(1) why are your subjective opinions the topic of ridicule (even when they are perfectly reasonable and sane subjective opinions)?
(2) is a site that has a diversity of opinion you find offensive worth your time?
(3) can we please have a serious discussion about the above?

For (1), they are the topic of ridicule and mockery because you make a massive target. You have strongly stated opinions, you make very divisive judgments about those who disagree with those opinions, and to top it all off, any time anyone pokes back, you throw a hissyfit. This is practically begging for trolling and abuse.

For (2), I don't even know how to address this, except to say, if the site in question has any... cultural sense of self-worth, for lack of a better descriptor... any useful conversation is going to end the instant you ask the question. Because the natural response will be "go fuck yourself you arrogant twat". Here is a thought experiment to illustrate my point. Imagine you have an acquaintance. Not a good friend, just someone you know and have interacted with more than occasionally. Imagine you are thinking of trying to develop a deeper relationship with this person. Now imagine this is how you approach them on the subject: "Hey X, I am thinking of becoming your friend but I want to know why I should do it. What do you bring to the table, X? Come on, convince me!" What would you reasonably expect the response to be?

For (3), it is very difficult to set up a serious discussion on a subject for which you have already drawn battle lines and fired shots. I would also say there is something of a Mea Culpa inherent in RPGCodex discussion, because it's owned by an Australian libertarian who holds as one of the central pillars of administrating the site that almost any speech, and any speakers, are allowed to have their say. You cannot avoid piles of shit on this site. It is not possible. You MUST come in understanding that some of it will spray in your face occasionally.

The second problem is that you are tilting at windmills by getting butthurt about what people have to say about your Rance review. Remember, their mockery of your review was merely the symptom. The origin of their (entirely justified imo) outrage was your post about anyone who was voting for Donald Trump. The mockery spread to other subjects from there. This is pretty common in internet arguments everywhere.

Your view on anyone who supports a specific candidate that you don't like is going to cause negative feedback on a site with such a massive diversity of opinion on all subjects, combined with such a massive devotion to the idea of unfettered speech. What you have to decide is not whether mockery of your Rance review is worth getting angry over, but whether you can lower yourself to participate in a site where people are allowed to hold offensive views (political or otherwise) without being banned from the conversation.

I leave that to you.

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I would like to give some constructive reading for you in case you decide to stay and participate in the site as a creator of content.

If you want to see how to properly engage the site while rolling in the shit a little bit, go read the entire No Truce With the Furies thread: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ce-procedural-role-playing-game.109209/unread. Kasparov et al do a fine job of playing the game of back-and-forth.

If you want to see how to properly engage the site while not rolling in shit, go read Anthony Davis posts in the PoE thread (or anywhere else really): http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...nity-the-white-march-expansion-thread.100006/

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Kalarion

Don't forget to recommend that he read the Codex's most prestigious threads ever in its entire 14 year history. They are 3 in total, and codex lore-masters deem these threads "Thy Trinity Of Codex".

- Sol Invictus unforgettable "In My Defense": http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/in-my-defense.5926/

I draw attention to myself whether I like it or not because of the Anti-Cult of Personality. I don't think this thread is going to make me any less, or any more popular than I already am. It's not something that I can help. People talk about me whether I'm around or not. You need not look further than #fallout for proof of that.

I'm not egotistical. I'm merely stating facts about the situation.

- The historic thread when Codex first became part of the LBGTBBQ commnuity, aplty titled "Kaiserin Is A Tranny!!!": http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/kaisering-is-a-tranny.29548/

Damn I really wish I'd saved IRC logs; KingComrade even had his own pet name for "her": Kaskrin.

- The crown jewel of Codexian Folklore... there is nothing that can be said about this magnificent thread, merely allow it to permeate your consciousness as the glory unto god and the grace of the holy spirit:

"A Funny PM I got from roqua"
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/a-funny-pm-i-got-from-roqua.18852/

It was titled "I'll kill you."

"...but I need you to understand something. Im going to hurt you bad. Old, retarded, invalid, it doesnt matter now. When I see you, no matter how pathetic you look, Im going to fucking rape every orifice of your body and then pee in them all.

...keep in mind that while Im washing the jism I shot in your eyes out with my urine stream, that Im not doing it out of hate, since I cant hate the truly pathetic. Ill actually be doing it because your parents didnt know how to raise someone right and ended up producing you. Think of it as tough-love. I’m also going to break all your fingers so you cant do the one thing you can do and look forward to: type on the internet to much.

Anyways, I miss you and wish you were here. I want to give you some love."

All I can say is PLANE TICKETS, BITCH!

And I am dead serious. Old as I am, I has a strong suspicion I could kick your ass. In fact, my bet is when you see my well over six foor frame and my gnarled old man hand that have the strength no younger generation can match, you will act REAL nice.

My name is Bryce Martoq. As long as you book the flight leaving from LAX on a friday morning and returning on a sunday night (and give me a month notice), I will gladly accept your challenge and proceed to give you the most serious humiliation of your life. I'll even post pictures of you cowering from me.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
I would like to give some constructive reading for you in case you decide to stay and participate in the site as a creator of content.

If you want to see how to properly engage the site while rolling in the shit a little bit, go read the entire No Truce With the Furies thread: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ce-procedural-role-playing-game.109209/unread. Kasparov et al do a fine job of playing the game of back-and-forth.

If you want to see how to properly engage the site while not rolling in shit, go read Anthony Davis posts in the PoE thread (or anywhere else really): http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...nity-the-white-march-expansion-thread.100006/

It is our policy. Ours being a cop game - pigs frolic in shit :)

Lostpleb

Learned
There was a time when I would wake up, go sit in front of my computer and read the CRPG Addict's reviews for hours on end. I had to stop going to his blog, because I would completely lose track of the passage of time and end up getting nothing done for the day.

The guy manages to describe text-only RPGs from the 1980s (with only ONE SCRIPTED EVENT, no less) in a way that makes them seem really fun to play. And it's not all just musings either - he brings a ton of historical facts to the table.

So what if the CRPG Addict is not into gamey anime rape? Get over it.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Hey crpgaddict, if you want a discussion let's have it.

Regarding Rance, the first game is indeed very bad. Rance's real call to fame is Sengoku Rance, which is easily one of the best Strategy/RPG hybrids out there. Some other titles, like the recently translated Rance VI are also great dungeon-crawlers, but the rape theme is always there.

I agree with you that it's tasteless, the dialog is really cringe-worthy. I would never play a Rance game for the "sex". But remember this is a Japanese game, from a VERY different culture.

You like Bethesda games, so tell me, what do you think of nuking Megaton? In the US nuclear bombs are super "fun", people loved nuking an entire town, even kids cartoons often show nuclear explsions - yet nukes are weapons of mass destruction. The US committed a war crime and killed over 200,000 Japanese civilians with them. The Megaton quest was actually censored in the Japanese release of Fallout 3, did you know that?

Compare that with how the Jews handle anything even remotely alluding to the holocaust... do you think a quest abou starting your own concentration camp in Fallout 3 would be super cool? Have you ever stopped to think why one war crime is taboo while the other is used as a joke? It's all about the culture you grew up in. Brazil in the 90's had Tv dramas with full frontal nudes IN THE OPENING, but you couldn't show heavy violence - basically the opposite of the US.

Personally, I find both Rance's rape and Fallout 3's nuke juvenile and unnecessary, just an idiot writer being edgy because he can. You apparently didn't mind one (and perhaps even enjoyed it) and couldn't stand the other. Censors in Japan had the reverse opinion. I - and apparently many others here - don't mind either, as long as the gameplay is good.

--------

BTW, reading your Rance review I came across this:

But on the whole, this is the most vile game I've ever experienced--a record that is unlikely to fall unless I decide to play Super Columbine Massacre RPG in 2006.

Columbine is actually a VERY interesting game, made as a documentary/game. It let you play as the shooters, prepare everything and kill the students - all through their own distorter, ultra-violent pop-culture perspective. They see school mates as walking cliches, they narrate combat as if they were badass - "You dodge the attack Matrix-style" - and actually see themselves as heroes.

The game force you to play that, dragging on until even the shock value is gone, then does a 180 and contrast that with their real life, with the issues they had like depression, isolation, public humiliation, etc... all real stuff the dev researched in detail. Then you start to see them not as absolute evil, but as desperate kids who couldn't bear life and tried to escape the only way they knew how. I found it touching when at the end the dev list the two shooters among the victims of that tragic day - not as inhuman monsters.

Last edited:

Mustawd

Way to spoil FO3 for me felipepepe.....

Just kidding I'm never gonna play that shit seriously. God fuck T. Howard with a red hot poker for ruining my teen memories. I swear to god

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Personally I wouldn't give a damn about Rance's rapey attitude if I didn't have my computer in what I like to call "a corridor", which is my bedroom. My parents constantly walk through to get from their bedroom to any place in the house. And because I have my back towards them, I don't want to risk it. Indeed, it is the only reason why I wouldn't give Sakura Dungeon a try.

I'm lucky enough they don't know shit about English so that I can get away with some of the most edgy dialogue in videogames. So yeah, Rance is fine, I just can't fucking play it in here. Even The Witcher is pushing it sometimes, but for the most part you can really predict the sex scenes.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
There are some good threads on the Codex, and I could see participating in them for various reasons, but I don't see any reason to keep coming back to this forum. Not because I "couldn't take it" or was "thin-skinned," but because there was no upside to taking a bunch of abuse from lunatics.

One of the tips for having a successful life is to surround yourself with positive encouraging people. OR

If you lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas. Benjamin Franklin

Like Fox News, the Daily Mail or a number of similar institutions, this place has the token diamond (traitor no doubt) but is mostly populated by total retards. FLEE YOU FOOL!

I love your blog by the way - certainly encouraged me to revisit some of the games from my past (Captive being a recent example) as well as some games I bought at the time but never played (Worlds of Ultima).

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
You like Bethesda games, so tell me, what do you think of nuking Megaton? In the US nuclear bombs are super "fun", people loved nuking an entire town, even kids cartoons often show nuclear explsions - yet nukes are weapons of mass destruction. The US committed a war crime and killed over 200,000 Japanese civilians with them. The Megaton quest was actually censored in the Japanese release of Fallout 3, did you know that?

Compare that with how the Jews handle anything even remotely alluding to the holocaust... do you think a quest abou starting your own concentration camp in Fallout 3 would be super cool? Have you ever stopped to think why one war crime is taboo while the other is used as a joke? It's all about the culture you grew up in. Brazil in the 90's had Tv dramas with full frontal nudes IN THE OPENING, but you couldn't show heavy violence - basically the opposite of the US.
The adventure game I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, based on the Harlan Ellison short story and created with his input, did contain an extended barely-veiled allegory for the Holocaust in one of its 5 segments (6 segments, counting the end), but this was handled well and not subject to complaints in the United States (Germany, on the other hand, censored it). :M

Also, if you're intent on terming the dropping of atom bombs on Japan a "war crime", then you might as well be forthright and call the entire Allied strategic bombing campaigns in both Germany and Japan a "war crime" rather than pretend that conventional bombs and firebombs killing civilians was somehow different.

Mortmal

Arcane
34 pages to finally reach godwin point and holocaust references , not so bad..I wont learn anything new about rpgs , nothing i already dont know but at least i learned about brazilian 90's full frontal on TV.

pippin

Kalarion

Don't forget to recommend that he read the Codex's most prestigious threads ever in its entire 14 year history. They are 3 in total, and codex lore-masters deem these threads "Thy Trinity Of Codex".

- Sol Invictus unforgettable "In My Defense": http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/in-my-defense.5926/

I draw attention to myself whether I like it or not because of the Anti-Cult of Personality. I don't think this thread is going to make me any less, or any more popular than I already am. It's not something that I can help. People talk about me whether I'm around or not. You need not look further than #fallout for proof of that.

I'm not egotistical. I'm merely stating facts about the situation.

- The historic thread when Codex first became part of the LBGTBBQ commnuity, aplty titled "Kaiserin Is A Tranny!!!": http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/kaisering-is-a-tranny.29548/

Damn I really wish I'd saved IRC logs; KingComrade even had his own pet name for "her": Kaskrin.

- The crown jewel of Codexian Folklore... there is nothing that can be said about this magnificent thread, merely allow it to permeate your consciousness as the glory unto god and the grace of the holy spirit:

"A Funny PM I got from roqua"
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/a-funny-pm-i-got-from-roqua.18852/

It was titled "I'll kill you."

"...but I need you to understand something. Im going to hurt you bad. Old, retarded, invalid, it doesnt matter now. When I see you, no matter how pathetic you look, Im going to fucking rape every orifice of your body and then pee in them all.

...keep in mind that while Im washing the jism I shot in your eyes out with my urine stream, that Im not doing it out of hate, since I cant hate the truly pathetic. Ill actually be doing it because your parents didnt know how to raise someone right and ended up producing you. Think of it as tough-love. I’m also going to break all your fingers so you cant do the one thing you can do and look forward to: type on the internet to much.

Anyways, I miss you and wish you were here. I want to give you some love."

All I can say is PLANE TICKETS, BITCH!

And I am dead serious. Old as I am, I has a strong suspicion I could kick your ass. In fact, my bet is when you see my well over six foor frame and my gnarled old man hand that have the strength no younger generation can match, you will act REAL nice.

My name is Bryce Martoq. As long as you book the flight leaving from LAX on a friday morning and returning on a sunday night (and give me a month notice), I will gladly accept your challenge and proceed to give you the most serious humiliation of your life. I'll even post pictures of you cowering from me.

This is something you should find on your own, damn it. Fuck these quest markers.

from a VERY different culture.

newtmonkey

Arcane
It was interesting to see him cover Roadwar 2000. That's a game that always intrigued me ever since I saw it in an SSI catalog.
I never thought it was an RPG, and from reading his coverage of it, I'm still not sure I would consider it to be one. Seems like a cool game though.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
CRPGAddict reviews Neverwinter Nights! crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2017/02/game-241-neverwinter-nights-1991.html (no, not THAT one etc etc)

Game 241: Neverwinter Nights (1991)

Neverwinter Nights
United States
Stormfront Studios (developer); Strategic Simulations, Inc. (publisher)
Released in 1991 for DOS. Hosted on AOL from 1991 to 1997.
Date Started: 2 February 2016
Date Ended: 3 February 2016
Total Hours: 4
Difficulty: Moderate-Hard (3.5/5) for single-player offline
Final Rating: 27 (applies only to single-player offline)
Ranking at Time of Posting: 121/239 (51%)

I never stop being amazed at how quickly the world incorporated both the Internet and wireless communications technology. In just over a decade, we went from a tiny portion of the population "online" and mobile (c. 1990) to almost everyone having instant access to the world's information and people. If you had told me in 1990 that within 20 years I'd never be lost again, I'd always be able to reach any of my friends and family members at a moment's notice, that within seconds I'd be able to look up the answer to any question, listen to any song, watch any video, get the latest news and weather, and do thousands of other things, I would have called the men in white coats. Yet here we are. Somehow all that awesome technology, put before us in a decade and a half, seemed "gradual."

It's hard to believe that at one point, I was a functioning adult before I had the Internet or a mobile phone. How did I get places? I worked for a security company from around 1991-1994, while I was in college, and I was a "floater"--they sent me to a different facility practically every day, all over eastern Massachusetts. How in the world did I find where I was going? I can't remember for the life of me. How did I book airline tickets? I remember a period in about 1995 when the alternator on my car was squirrely and I had to call AAA for a tow maybe 5 times in 6 months. How did I do it? Did I walk to a payphone every time? I don't remember.

These types of thoughts came flooding to me as I reviewed the history of Neverwinter Nights, the first graphic online role-playing game, which resided on the servers of America Online from 1991 to 1997. I remember AOL quite clearly: it was my first online experience. For a period in the 1990s, you couldn't walk 10 feet without tripping over one of the disks that they mailed to everyone, everywhere. I was introduced to the service in probably 1993, when I could scarce afford the ridiculous hourly fees, but like everyone else, I paid up, because I was enchanted with e-mail, chat rooms, news, and the various features of the online portal. This wasn't the full Internet yet, you understand--just AOL's proprietary content.

Yet somehow I missed the existence of Neverwinter Nights, thank the gods. If I'd known about it, I would have played it. I was already a CRPG addict by 1991 and I had experience with the Gold Box games, which I loved. I would have played it incessantly, probably during my security shifts. All of my money would have gone to it, and I probably wouldn't have met Irene.

You could play for one hour a month for free. Anything else cost money.

For those of you not alive at the time, you have to understand that in 1991, you got "online" by using your modem to dial in to one of your ISP's proprietary phone lines, a service for which they charged you by the hour. The AOL materials that came with Neverwinter Nights shows that they were charging $5 per hour for non-peak usage (18:00-06:00) and $10 per hour for peak daytime usage. To save money, those of us who used AOL primarily for e-mail would compose our missives offline, dial in, quickly send and receive, and sign off (AOL eventually created something called a "flash session" for just this purpose). They needed services to keep customers consistently online, paying those hourly rates, and online games were part of the answer. Thus, if you wanted to play Neverwinter Nights for 4 hours between 16:00 and 20:00 some Monday night, you paid $30 (almost $55 in today's money) for the privilege. You could have bought a new game every day for that kind of money. But people happily paid it. When Neverwinter Nights launched, it was capable of supporting 200 online players at a time. Eventually, that number grew to 500. But over 100,000 members had characters. There was a line waiting to get in to the server almost every night. Imagine paying that kind of hourly rate not to play the game but to wait to play the game.

Neverwinter Nights was developed by Stormfront Studios and published by SSI. It uses the same Gold Box engine and graphics that we've seen on this blog a dozen times by now, starting with Pool of Radiance (1988) and most recently in Pools of Darkness (1991). Most of the Gold Box titles were written in-house at SSI, but SSI paid Stormfront to develop the Savage Frontier series, including 1991's Gateway to the Savage Frontier, set in the same basic area as Neverwinter Nights.

The game shipped on disk with a rulebook and journal, but made it clear you needed an AOL subscription (disk also included) to play.

Surprisingly few changes had to be made to adapt the Gold Box engine to online play, and at first glance an experienced Gold Box player might not notice any differences. (I'm relying on online testimonials for the following, of course, not having had the experience of playing online myself.) Character creation is virtually identical, including the by-now antiquated rules on race/class combinations and level caps. There's no "modify" command to jack up your statistics, but that's about all that's different.

Each player controlled only one character. During online gameplay, multiple characters showed up in the window where other Gold Box games showed the multiple characters of the single player's party. Players who wanted to adventure together could choose a command to follow a lead character as he controlled navigation around the 3D maps and decided when to camp. During combat, each player controlled his character independently, but combat options are otherwise unchanged.

The game world consists of 29 maps (all first-person, no overland ones like in the Pools series) of the standard 16 x 16 Gold Box size. The core of the game is the city of Neverwinter and its various districts, but other maps allowed you to explore the surrounding wilderness, and the cities of Luskan, Port Llast, and Vilnask among others.

Exploring a wilderness map.

The games even shipped with roughly the same documentation as the other Gold Box titles, consisting of an adventurer's journal and a rulebook. (There are no "journal entries," though.) The setup of the game world is kept purposefully broad: Neverwinter, where the river never freezes, is ruled by the firm but benevolent hand of Lord Nasher. (Reportedly, when AOL chairman Steve Case would play the game, he played as Nasher.) Lately, monsters and raiding parties have been troubling the city, and many people suspect the five pirate captains of Luskan are behind the troubles. Nasher dispenses various quests to adventurers to quell the threats.

There are a million things I don't know or understand about how the game was played. For instance, I don't know how loot was distributed among characters at the end of combat, or how quest experience was divided. I'm not sure exactly how quests, fixed fights, and special encounters worked. Were the developers constantly creating new scenarios and plugging them in to particular coordinates? I know that there was a chat capability, but I don't know how it worked with the game interface.

Mostly, I don't understand why an offline version of the game existed and how it worked with the online version. What happened when you were offline and you finally connected? Did you appear in your offline square, or did you get transported to the central hub? Was it seamless, or did you have to stop the game offline and resume it online? What happened to your character if you killed the offline version, since there's no "save" feature? These are questions I can't figure out from the web sites and documentation I consulted; I'm sure commenters will have some of the answers.

Exploring the docks in the city center.

What I can tell you is that offline gameplay is somewhat pointless. It's a shell of a world with no content. You can create a character, visit shops, explore the maps, fight random battles, and train, but you can't get quests or engage in any special encounters or fixed combats. I don't know what those quests or special encounters looked like when the game was live--how complex they were, what resources they required--and I'd love to hear from anyone who played it.

I don't even know if the offline version I'm playing is the same as what was available when Neverwinter Nights was active. A couple of issues give me pause. First, you can't name your character during creation--every character is dubbed "NW Knight." Second, there's a menu that I'll cover in a bit that enables some terrific cheating. Certainly, it wasn't possible to use this menu offline and bring the resulting character online. It makes me wonder if characters could transfer between online and offline play at all.

I created a half-elf magic-user/cleric, figuring that if I was going to play one character, he'd need some healing ability. The game starts in the plaza of Neverwinter Square, facing Nasher's palace. If you walk in, Lord Nasher welcomes you but doesn't offer you any quests. There's a blank screen after his generic welcome, however, which I assumed was filled with content in the online version.

Nasher offers a generic greeting.

Neverwinter Square is a safe area, with no random combats, that offers several weapon and armor stores, inns, general stores (mirrors, oil flasks, holy water), stores that sell silver weapons, jewelry stores, temples, and training facilities. There are several of each, and I wonder if you were playing online, could only one character visit at a time? Characters start with about 50 gold pieces, so I used them to purchase some basic equipment. If there's a magic shop anywhere in the game, I didn't find it, making non-cleric gameplay difficult since you can't buy potions.

The central area of the city.

Most of the tiles in the Square are unvisitable, either behind doors marked "private residence" or in the backs of shops where you get stopped at the front door. Again, I wonder if in the online version those private residences were sometimes repurposed for special encounters. In the southeast corner, a 9-square "indoor gardens" has no special features.

Stairs behind the palace lead down to the sewers, where an iron golem stops you from entering the "sewer guild" unless you have a membership card. Other exits from the map lead to the Warehouse District, the Wharves, and Southwall, and from each of those to outdoor maps. Guards posted at these exits give you a sense of the relative danger level of the maps.

Some solid advice.

I was curious how the map held up against other maps of Neverwinter. It makes little sense in the context of the 2002 game, where the entrance to Nasher's palace is on the south rather than the east and the outlying neighborhoods have different names. But it is virtually identical to the Neverwinter that appears in Gateway to the Savage Frontier, the only exception being that the structures marked "private residence" in Neverwinter Nights are part of the monster-infested indoor garden areas in Gateway.

Once I started exploring the external areas, I started meeting enemies in random encounters. Combat is identical to the single-player Gold Box games--even all the spells are the same--except that you have a time limit of about 8 seconds before you lose your turn. Both player and enemy actions are excruciatingly slow, and unlike the single-player games, there's no "alter" command to speed them up. Obviously, online everyone had to play at the same speed.

My character does well against some slept thieves..

...and not so well against some undead.

The random combats seem to sense the size of the party, and I didn't find them overly difficult for a single character. I might get attacked by three thieves (easily defeatable by "Sleep") or a single crocodile or gnoll. Occasionaly--usually behind doors that I unwisely forced open--I met impossible parties of ghouls or ogres or whatnot, but even when they defeated me, they didn't kill me. I would go unconscious, lose some loot, and wake up next to the gate to Neverwinter Square. I don't know if online "death" was the same. Is it just because they never knocked me below -10 hit points?

In real life, you learn something even when you lose a fight. Not in RPGs.

Post-combat is much the same: you get experience, money, and sometimes items, although the items are curiously random. A crocodile might leave a shield or a guisarme, for instance. Again, I don't know how parties received loot or divided it up.

There are no fixed encounters or combats in the offline version, but there are frequent atmospheric messages that describe the setting and elaborate on the minimalist graphics. Some of them are "fixed"--they occur every time you step into a square--and others appear randomly from what must be a pool of atmospheric descriptions. Stormfront did this well in Gateway, I recall.

A fixed description of the "Southwall" neighborhood of Neverwinter.

And a random description from just walking down the street.

There's no way to save offline, unless you get a DOSBox version that allows save states, but there was little point in playing a game that only allows random combats anyway. I would have had to fight around 50 easy combats in the Southwall area before I had enough experience to level up, and I lost interest well before then. In the live version, characters could achieve up to Level 12 (unless capped below that by race restrictions) and then gracefully "retire."

I retired at Level 3, and only got there by cheating.

I did have some fun experimenting with the offline cheat menu, labeled "GM," which gives you options to teleport anywhere in the game, walk through walls, avoid encounters, edit the statistics of your equipment, and enable combat menu option called "zap" that instantly kills all enemies and gives you the experience. It was how I determined there were 29 maps, among other things.

Some options on the cheat menu.

I was hoping to find some video of online gameplay, but no one seems to have preserved any. There are some still images of battles (does anyone know why so many of them say "Charactername is stupid"?), but I can't find anything showing the exploration interface, which might answer some of my questions.

I know from online testimonials that a community of dedicated players loved the game. There were dozens of guilds, online parties, trivia contests, PvP matches and leaderboards, and all kinds of community content. Veteran players volunteered to mentor new ones and even to manage aspects of the game's development. The community must have been disappointed when the server went offline in 1997. I've read several explanations for why this happened. The most plausible scenario seems to be that by then, AOL had switched to a flat-rate monthly fee (I think I paid $20 for 20 hours for about a year, and then it was $20 for unlimited access) to compete with other ISPs and they no longer had any incentive to keep people online--in fact, it was now the opposite. AOL wanted to expand the game and charge an additional fee to play it, which SSI and Stormfront were against. The contract between the three companies came to an end in 1997 without a resolution and the server was simply shut off at that point.

This remains a bit of a mystery. I wonder how you joined the "sewer guild."

By 1997, the Gold Box engine must have seemed pretty stale anyway. I've loved the games that it produced, but I certainly wouldn't have liked to spend the rest of my RPG career starting at its bland corridors, unable to see enemies in the environment, straightjacketed by the AD&D1 character system. In six years, the game had only been upgraded twice, and the primary thing it must have offered was that it was the only online graphical RPG. This changed in 1997 with the release of Ultima Online, and titles like Asheron's Call and EverQuest soon followed, probably killing any serious incentive to resurrect Neverwinter Nights.

The name lives on, of course, in the 2002 Bioware title. It's amazing that only 5 years separate the end of Neverwinter Nights online and the beginning of the Aurora Engine namesake; judging by graphics, sound, and size, you'd think they were eons apart. The 2002 title is more of a "remake" of the original than I ever realized, with Neverwinter facing the same sort of threat and the player exploring pretty much the same geographic territory. I understand that some dedicated fans literally re-created the original game maps using the Aurora toolset and hosted a limited online community until 2012. That same year, a dedicated fan released a Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures version of the original game.

The Bioware version, only 5 years after the original went offline, feels like a completely different era.

With only the ability to experience the offline shell of the game, it really should never have been on my list. From now on, I'll only play online RPGs if they have a purposeful offline mode, not just a possible one. Because I didn't get to experience the "real" game, a GIMLET is meaningless. I filled in some scores anyway in the spreadsheet, totaling 27 (the lack of quests, NPCs, and non-combat encounters hurt offline play), but making it clear that the score refers to single-player, offline gameplay. If you had no other RPG to play, you'd probably still enjoy the combat system (although it lacks something with only one player), the variety of enemies, and character development. The greater problem is that as you play the offline version, you have a palpable sense of what's missing. You realize the large courtyard is supposed to be swarming with other characters. Lord Nasher literally stares at you mutely instead of giving you a quest. Well-described buildings are clearly meant to have some kind of encounter rather than empty spaces behind their doors. It's like walking through a ballroom after the party's over.

Nasher tries and fails to find a quest to give me in his online files.

The process of learning about the game was more fun than playing it, and it gives me a foundation to understand other MMORPGs as I come across them. For now, let's get back to a proper single-player title.

Further reading: For the material in this posting, I'm heavily indebted to the resources on the "unofficial classic Neverwinter Nights archive." I also got a lot out of a May 2015 posting from "The Game Archaeologist."

Unwanted

Charles Eli Cheese

Neckbeard Shitlord
Edgy Shitposter
AD&D1? lol

Every fucking review, every one has all kinds of incorrect information. Do you really even play this shit at all because I have really come to doubt it.

Also with rance. I was on the toilet and I was thinking. I'd actually be OK with someone just skipping rance, I am not sure that counts as real RPG anyway. But if you DO review something, you should go in with the attitude of reviewing its quality, its craft. Otherwise it's like someone reviewing an action film and whining the whole time about all the violence. Just completely pointless, annoying waste of time.

Mustawd

Who are you talking to NB?

I am talking about the article infinitron posted from the blog just now obs

I said WHO are you talking to? You sounded like you were talking to someone specifically here, but like...there's no one who you'd be saying that to....

It's like me having a one-sided conversation with President Grover Cleveland: "You're prolly the fattest POTUS ever you fat fucking pig!!"

Unwanted

Charles Eli Cheese

Neckbeard Shitlord
Edgy Shitposter
It's you having trouble adding things up, not me. I would have quoted the post but it's long and the forum has issues with nested quoting.

AD&D1? lol

Every fucking review, every one has all kinds of incorrect information. Do you really even play this shit at all because I have really come to doubt it.

Also with rance. I was on the toilet and I was thinking. I'd actually be OK with someone just skipping rance, I am not sure that counts as real RPG anyway. But if you DO review something, you should go in with the attitude of reviewing its quality, its craft. Otherwise it's like someone reviewing an action film and whining the whole time about all the violence. Just completely pointless, annoying waste of time.

I'm talking about the review in the post above, to the guy who wrote it. Who reads this thread.

Sure you didn't knock yourself unconscious earlier today?

Mustawd

He was in this thread like 5 pages ago. You actually think he comes back here and reads it?

No worries NB. I'm just giving you shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom