Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CRPGAddict

crpgaddict

Educated
Can we make fun of his Rance review while he's still here?

This right here encapsulates everything I can't stand about this site. No additional commentary, no context, just an implicit understanding that we should all laugh at the guy who didn't like a game about raping women.

And let's be clear: the game just isn't about "sort-of" rape. People tell me the sequels are, but I haven't played them. The one I reviewed is about actual rape. No, the victims don't "secretly like it"--they beg and cry and scream. Have we really gotten to the point where someone is an "SJW" because he's against rape?

So I wrote a negative review about that. In the review, I tried to analyze why rape is so much worse than violence, which players commit in almost every game. I also tried to put the rape part aside and discuss the game's merits as an RPG, as well as its non-rape humor.

But clearly I'm worthy of ridicule for writing about such things, because...why? I'm seriously asking. Don't just quote the last line. I agree, it's not great. I was looking for a way to wrap it up, and that's what I came up with. But what makes the totality of the review so risible? What would you have written about the game?

I really want to have a discussion about this. Don't just tag this post with "butthurt." Don't just offer some dismissive comment making fun of me. Discuss the issue with the same fervor you've put into "less" and "fewer." Help convince me that spending any more time on this site is worth my time.

Gunnar

Arbiter
Can we make fun of his Rance review while he's still here?

This right here encapsulates everything I can't stand about this site. No additional commentary, no context, just an implicit understanding that we should all laugh at the guy who didn't like a game about raping women.

And let's be clear: the game just isn't about "sort-of" rape. People tell me the sequels are, but I haven't played them. The one I reviewed is about actual rape. No, the victims don't "secretly like it"--they beg and cry and scream. Have we really gotten to the point where someone is an "SJW" because he's against rape?

So I wrote a negative review about that. In the review, I tried to analyze why rape is so much worse than violence, which players commit in almost every game. I also tried to put the rape part aside and discuss the game's merits as an RPG, as well as its non-rape humor.

But clearly I'm worthy of ridicule for writing about such things, because...why? I'm seriously asking. Don't just quote the last line. I agree, it's not great. I was looking for a way to wrap it up, and that's what I came up with. But what makes the totality of the review so risible? What would you have written about the game?

I really want to have a discussion about this. Don't just tag this post with "butthurt." Don't just offer some dismissive comment making fun of me. Discuss the issue with the same fervor you've put into "less" and "fewer." Help convince me that spending any more time on this site is worth my time.

You're like a guy that can't handle a racist joke. All art and humor must conform to your narrow ideological view that says we cannot make fun of/explore these things. It's almost impossible not to ridicule you.

crpgaddict

Educated
You're like a guy that can't handle a racist joke. All art and humor must conform to your narrow ideological view that says we cannot make fun of/explore these things. It's almost impossible not to ridicule you.

Not a lot of detail, but at least you're trying harder than the first guy. What I don't get about your argument is a) is "rape is bad" really ideological? If so, is it really "narrow"? b) I wasn't calling for the game to be banned by law, just describing my own reactions to it.

A racist joke is at least brief. Playing Rance is like deliberately buying and reading an entire book of racist jokes. I don't think I should have to apologize for condemning that.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Help convince me that spending any more time on this site is worth my time.

vOilbtL.jpg

JQUnOUH.jpg

Gunnar

Arbiter

Not a lot of detail, but at least you're trying harder than the first guy. What I don't get about your argument is a) is "rape is bad" really ideological? If so, is it really "narrow"? b) I wasn't calling for the game to be banned by law, just describing my own reactions to it.

A racist joke is at least brief. Playing Rance is like deliberately buying and reading an entire book of racist jokes. I don't think I should have to apologize for condemning that.

You're saying that rape is bad so we're not allowed to talk about it, joke about it, or make art around it. In your review you said:

crpgaddict said:
...if the content doesn't offend you... please feel free not to comment on my blog.

That kind of attitude is ideological, the fact that you don't consider it narrow is just proof that you think you're right and anyone who disagrees must be wrong and in the minority.

V_K

Arcane
I really want to have a discussion about this. Don't just tag this post with "butthurt." Don't just offer some dismissive comment making fun of me. Discuss the issue with the same fervor you've put into "less" and "fewer."
Well, if you read that discussion closely, you'll see that there's not much going on other than fervor. Argumentation per se leaves something to be desired. So I wouldn't expect much other than name-calling.
From what I can tell, Rance advocates here belong to one of two categories: 1) Those who appreciate the mechanics of the game and don't care about subject matter, and 2) Those whose development stopped at their teens. The categories aren't mutually exclusive.

Unwanted

Charles Eli Cheese

Neckbeard Shitlord
Edgy Shitposter
With Rance, I have not played it and don't have a real interest, but I support its right to exist. I assume 99% of the people playing just do it for the lulz or "to be edgy", maybe 1% really get off on the rape - and they would be getting off on rape regardless, because that's their thing.

There is not any real reason for moral outrage, because no one is saying this is how real life is supposed to be.

OTOH SJW crap in games is all, very sadly, dead serious stuff and anyone not liking it 100% is literally worse than Hitler and all that. There is a case whre moral outrage is called for, having a bunch of propaganda shoved down your throat.

pippin

There is not any real reason for moral outrage, because no one is saying this is how real life is supposed to be.

This is true and the point of the issue. However, I'd wish a clear explanation as to why rape is "wrong" but mass murder is "ok". Including thievery and many other morally wrong actions in crpgs. I mean, if you're going to be a moralfag, don't be selective about it, go all the way through.

Unwanted

Charles Eli Cheese

Neckbeard Shitlord
Edgy Shitposter
This is true and the point of the issue. However, I'd wish a clear explanation as to why rape is "wrong" but mass murder is "ok". Including thievery and many other morally wrong actions in crpgs. I mean, if you're going to be a moralfag, don't be selective about it, go all the way through.

The whole point of SJWs is to disenfranchise whites and especially white males, cuck them and make them powerless.

To them rape is a power fantasy (though in reality I doubt anyone gets off on it in that way) so it is the Ultimate Evil to them, literally worse than mass murder.

Of course most of them are probably too dumb and lacking in self awareness to realize this.

crpgaddict

Educated
I'd wish a clear explanation as to why rape is "wrong" but mass murder is "ok". Including thievery and many other morally wrong actions in crpgs. I mean, if you're going to be a moralfag, don't be selective about it, go all the way through.

I addressed this in my entry. I struggled with it, too, and the best answer I could give is that murder and theft are both means of overcoming legitimate obstacles, whereas rape isn't. It's not a fully satisfactory answer, even to me, but the end result is the same: homicide and theft in RPGs don't repulse me, but rape did.

It's not that much different than films, television, and novels. We could all count dozens of characters who murder and steal and yet are the protagonists--heroes, even--of their respective works. It's far, far harder to think of a rapist with whom the audience is supposed to sympathize. The few exceptions I can think of have the character exhibit clear character development away from the sexual assault. So are we all deluded as a society? Is it a near-universal double-standard? Or is there something important and legitimate at the core of these reactions? Again, I don't claim to know, but I don't like being ridiculed for discussing the issue.

From what I can tell, Rance advocates here belong to one of two categories: 1) Those who appreciate the mechanics of the game and don't care about subject matter

There isn't a single person on this site who "appreciates the mechanics" of Rance. Again, I'm talking exclusively about the first game. If you do, you deserve a lot more ridicule than I do for thinking that Skyrim wasn't so bad.

You're saying that rape is bad so we're not allowed to talk about it, joke about it, or make art around it.

Perhaps the "feel free not to comment on my blog" comment was unwise. If you had suggested such a thing at the time I wrote it, I would have reacted with indignation that "don't make positive comments about a game that glorifies rape" was hardly an assault on constructive discourse. And I'm not sorry that my entry didn't fill up with comments in support of the game. But perhaps there's an argument to be made that any attempt to preemptively cut off discussion is a bad thing.

We'll have to disagree that Rance qualifies as "art." I see art as truly engaging a subject, raising questions, either attempting to deal with those questions or letting the consumer deal with them. It is possible to create art around rape, sure. The Accused does it. Lady Gaga's "Til It Happens to You" does it. Rance has no such aspirations. It's just pathetic and juvenile.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Pathetic and juvenile is the internet middle name though. It isn't really surprising that a game with ok gameplay and sex, and lots of it gets these idiots going (even if it's actually a romanticization of rape). You should stop engaging them about this, they'll just cry about censorship and assert that they're 100% ok with being manboons and being assumed as manboons by 'hypocritical' game companies (they'll also make fun on weirdos on the game companies forums chemically analyzing Tali's sweat because it's a step too far).

Last edited:

Gunnar

Arbiter
You're saying that rape is bad so we're not allowed to talk about it, joke about it, or make art around it.

Perhaps the "feel free not to comment on my blog" comment was unwise. If you had suggested such a thing at the time I wrote it, I would have reacted with indignation that "don't make positive comments about a game that glorifies rape" was hardly an assault on constructive discourse. And I'm not sorry that my entry didn't fill up with comments in support of the game. But perhaps there's an argument to be made that any attempt to preemptively cut off discussion is a bad thing.

We'll have to disagree that Rance qualifies as "art." I see art as truly engaging a subject, raising questions, either attempting to deal with those questions or letting the consumer deal with them. It is possible to create art around rape, sure. The Accused does it. Lady Gaga's "Til It Happens to You" does it. Rance has no such aspirations. It's just pathetic and juvenile.

If you're going to backpedal and say that you were wrong about the stupid things you said, great. It would be nice if you admitted that about your ridiculous Hillary post too, but maybe that's too much growth to hope for.

It doesn't have to be Art to have a right to exist, it can be something as crude and simple as a Joke, or anything in between, and it doesn't require that it be done well, either.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I'd wish a clear explanation as to why rape is "wrong" but mass murder is "ok". Including thievery and many other morally wrong actions in crpgs. I mean, if you're going to be a moralfag, don't be selective about it, go all the way through.

I addressed this in my entry. I struggled with it, too, and the best answer I could give is that murder and theft are both means of overcoming legitimate obstacles, whereas rape isn't. It's not a fully satisfactory answer, even to me, but the end result is the same: homicide and theft in RPGs don't repulse me, but rape did.

It's not that much different than films, television, and novels. We could all count dozens of characters who murder and steal and yet are the protagonists--heroes, even--of their respective works. It's far, far harder to think of a rapist with whom the audience is supposed to sympathize. The few exceptions I can think of have the character exhibit clear character development away from the sexual assault. So are we all deluded as a society? Is it a near-universal double-standard? Or is there something important and legitimate at the core of these reactions? Again, I don't claim to know, but I don't like being ridiculed for discussing the issue.

From what I can tell, Rance advocates here belong to one of two categories: 1) Those who appreciate the mechanics of the game and don't care about subject matter

There isn't a single person on this site who "appreciates the mechanics" of Rance. Again, I'm talking exclusively about the first game. If you do, you deserve a lot more ridicule than I do for thinking that Skyrim wasn't so bad.

Dude you know how the developers who actually post here survive? They don't feed the trolls. Right now you're feeding the trolls. You said your piece so arguing with Rance bro's is not going to get you anywhere.

Unwanted

Charles Eli Cheese

Neckbeard Shitlord
Edgy Shitposter

Dude you know how the developers who actually post here survive? They don't feed the trolls. Right now you're feeding the trolls. You said your piece so arguing with Rance bro's is not going to get you anywhere.

There's also the crazy idea you don't HAVE to be a sjw douche whose panties are constantly in a knit and just enjoy playing/making/discussing games.

Of course if you criticize people's things they like on an ideological basis they won't like it, what an amazing shock.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Oh, and hey, getting back to an actual RPG discussion, this is how Fate just scored on his site:

This gives us a subtotal of 45, which puts it fairly high on my existing list. I'm not sure how to feel about that. On the one hand, the game does so well mechanically that you absolutely have to recommend it. For 1991, it is a wonder to behold, and when I first started it, exploring Larvin and its environment, every hour I discovered some new nuance that led me to admire the developer even more. On the other hand, the inability of the developer to know when to quit seems like it ought to count more than a few points in the final GIMLET category. And it's especially bad for offering an ending that isn't worth reaching, and for hints and directions evaporating towards the game's end. In the end, comparing it to the other games on the list, I feel better knocking off 3 points and kicking it down to the level of Knights of Legend, which had similar problems, at a final score of 42.

But let's talk for a moment about the game-within-the-game: Fate: Quest of the Cavetrain. Not only does it not lose those 3 additional points, it gains 3 more in the "gameplay" category for not being too long, 1 more in the "quests" category for not being stupid yet, 2 more in the "economy" category for not having gone out of control, and 1 more in "character creation and development" for development being more significant, and 1 more in both "combat" and "encounters" for not yet becoming bland and rote. Fate: Quest of the Cavetrain is a solid 54-point game, 9th-highest on my blog so far, better than everything except titles that offer extensive side-quests and more detailed role-playing options, and an obvious candidate for 1991's "Game of the Year." Don't cheat yourself out of this excellent game. Just don't worry about where the Cavetrain leads.

I find it interesting that the game could have made his top 10 list, knocking Champions of Krynn down a notch while holding below Disciples of Steel.

His next three reviews are on Roadwar 2000, Martian Dreams, and Magic Candle II; all of which I'm interested in. But after that it's time for Wizard of Tallyron, Time Horn, Wizard's Lair, Conan (is it really an RPG?), and Templiers d'Orven.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

There's also the crazy idea you don't HAVE to be a sjw douche whose panties are constantly in a knit and just enjoy playing/making/discussing games.

Of course if you criticize people's things they like on an ideological basis they won't like it, what an amazing shock.

Dude I find you amusing but your entire existence consists of trolling.

duanth123

Arcane

You've played the first Rance game, which was the equivalent of a smut magazine.

You proceed to wipe your hands of the entire series in smug, moralizing tones that wouldn't be out of place in the most conservative Christian church.

At least you've admitted that you can only speculate as to the depth and quality of later entries.

Maybe play Sengoku Rance and gain a new perspective on the meagre nature of your intellectual diet. As you chew on the cow cud that is Skyrim.

I promise WE won't call the thought police on you. Or consider you a rapist simply because you believe you raped a fictional being.

However, I do separately find it laughable that you consider rape to be worse than MURDER. As in making a person no longer exist.

Rape can be a horror, but there are far worse aspects of society.

War, permanent disease, disability. Famine. Child molestation. Lifelong mental indoctrination. Physical torture.

Tells me how out of touch you are. And why it is you probably wouldn't understand the point of Rance as a character, even if it were explained to your specifications.

Last edited:

crpgaddict

Educated
It doesn't have to be Art to have a right to exist, it can be something as crude and simple as a Joke, or anything in between, and it doesn't require that it be done well, either.

And if it's going to exist, whether it's done well or not, it is subjected to reviews and analysis, which is what I did. In turn, I'm happy to subject my own work to review and analysis, including disagreement. What I don't understand is mockey, especially prima facia mockery.

You should stop engaging them about this
You said your piece so arguing with Rance bro's is not going to get you anywhere.

That's fine, but why else would I be here? I didn't wander into a Rance forum and pick a fight. This thread is titled "CRPGAddict." I've got commenters encouraging me to be a part of this site, to engage with its community. I don't need to be a part of this site. I have plenty of people to engage with on my own blog. Why would I engage with people who seem determined to hate me? People who, since they clearly aren't my fans, have subscribed to this forum solely to tear me down? Someone posts a quote from my blog--I don't even understand why they bother--and it gets ridiculed. I ask for a discussion of an issue, and my post gets tagged with "butthurt" and I get called "stupid" and a "SJW douche." At best, anyone who agrees with me is silent. If they say anything, it's simply "not to feed the trolls."

I don't like my name--even my pen-name--sullied by being part of the same thread where someone argues that "the whole point of SJWs is to disenfranchise whites and especially white males, cuck them and make them powerless." I don't particularly enjoy defending my work to a bunch of people that seem to think everything I write is automatically ridiculous without offering any qualitative discussion. I'd do it if there was some some benefit, but what's the benefit?

There are some good threads on the Codex, and I could see participating in them for various reasons, but I don't see any reason to keep coming back to this forum. Not because I "couldn't take it" or was "thin-skinned," but because there was no upside to taking a bunch of abuse from lunatics.

TigerKnee

Arcane
It's the moralizing, very self-righteous tone of the final part of the Rance review that makes people want to make fun of that review and you - if you had left it at "I'm personally disgusted at portrayals of rape that isn't artistic - this just isn't for me", you would still get made fun of because it's the Internet, but you poured oil all over yourself by instead having the statement come down to "If you enjoy the concept at all, you are a terrible person"

If you take this as a statement on the real world, it's rather eye-rolling, because (and I don't believe I am wrong here) there's not many people who would support rape in real life, so you spent your time writing what is essentially a wall of text to say "rape is bad, mmmkay?"

And if it's a statement on fiction, then there's a good number of people who enjoy socially unacceptable concepts in fiction who are able to separate what happens in fiction from real life, and here you come in and basically imply that they aren't able to - that if they enjoy it, that means they implicitly support it in real life and automatically brand them as "bad people".

The parts about violence being justifiable is completely cultural - this isn't a statement on rape being justifiable, but whether violence really places below it in terms of justified actions. There are several games with plot elements exploring the concept of violence in videogames such as Undertale or Metal Gear Rising Revengeance - the latter of which makes an intentional statement that "It had to be done because the enemy is hindering my path to the end goal" are self-justifications created after the fact to hide the true, socially unacceptable desire that killing things is fun.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

And if it's going to exist, whether it's done well or not, it is subjected to reviews and analysis, which is what I did. In turn, I'm happy to subject my own work to review and analysis, including disagreement. What I don't understand is mockey, especially prima facia mockery.

You should stop engaging them about this
You said your piece so arguing with Rance bro's is not going to get you anywhere.

That's fine, but why else would I be here? I didn't wander into a Rance forum and pick a fight. This thread is titled "CRPGAddict." I've got commenters encouraging me to be a part of this site, to engage with its community. I don't need to be a part of this site. I have plenty of people to engage with on my own blog. Why would I engage with people who seem determined to hate me? People who, since they clearly aren't my fans, have subscribed to this forum solely to tear me down? Someone posts a quote from my blog--I don't even understand why they bother--and it gets ridiculed. I ask for a discussion of an issue, and my post gets tagged with "butthurt" and I get called "stupid" and a "SJW douche." At best, anyone who agrees with me is silent. If they say anything, it's simply "not to feed the trolls."

I don't like my name--even my pen-name--sullied by being part of the same thread where someone argues that "the whole point of SJWs is to disenfranchise whites and especially white males, cuck them and make them powerless." I don't particularly enjoy defending my work to a bunch of people that seem to think everything I write is automatically ridiculous without offering any qualitative discussion. I'd do it if there was some some benefit, but what's the benefit?

There are some good threads on the Codex, and I could see participating in them for various reasons, but I don't see any reason to keep coming back to this forum. Not because I "couldn't take it" or was "thin-skinned," but because there was no upside to taking a bunch of abuse from lunatics.

The thing is you don't need to defend your work here. Everyone knows what you do. Defending your work is the job of regular posters here. Your job is to respond to questions from non-lunatics and keep making your blog. And where else but here can you get sensible poster plus the added entertainment of the lunatics?

edit: Also literally everyone wants you to keep posting here. If you engage the trolls (an entertaining experience if you have the right mindset) they are happy. If you post responses to the non-troll posts the non-trolls are happy. If you flip out in one of the Trump threads everyone in politics is happy. The fact that some people here don't like your opinion gives you power.

duanth123

Arcane
Not because I "couldn't take it" or was "thin-skinned," but because there was no upside to taking a bunch of abuse from lunatics.

This one sentence alone is an illustration of why many of us don't like you.

You're not thin skinned, but they're LUNATICS!

That lunatic who called you an SJW. That same poster who had a pages long, intellectually stimulating conversation about grammar. after which you agreed with him!

You're a lost cause, there's no cure for narcissism, much less for a person who so willingly lies to his own self, just fuck off back to your little kingdom.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Charles Eli Cheese

Neckbeard Shitlord
Edgy Shitposter
I don't think he is utterly bad and needs to be lit on fire, though that seems to be the view HE has of many people who actually read his blog if you stop and think.

But yeah basically some of it just goes ridiculously far, and goes way beyond simple review of the game into some serious moralizing and attacks on gamers as a whole. Just like shitaku etc.

Sure it's a blog and he can say as he likes but then hey it's the internet and so can everyone else, and this kind of attitude just steps outside of the realm of merely reviewing games and goes much further and into controversial territory most people don't agree with - and in a confrontational and attacking manner. Which he and clickbait SJW sites, then turn around on the very people they are attacking.

Crying out as you hit someone, as the saying goes.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
crpgaddict

why the fuck does "the codex" need to convince you to participate? you think you're worth something to society because you write reviews about video games.

my god you're a fucking narcissist and nobody owes you SHIT. if you can't engage with a community without them kowtowing to your superiority then fuck off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom