Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CRPGAddict

newtmonkey

Arcane
Replace "Republicans" with "Jews" or "Muslims" or "old people" or "divorced women" or anything and see how ridiculous that sounds.
Just can't resist pointing out a logical fallacy here: you're mixing up something one chooses (political or religious beliefs) with something one is and has no control over (ethnicity, gender, age etc.)
Replace "people who have decided to become Republicans" with "people who have decided to become Jews" or "people who have decided to become Muslims" or "women who have decided to get a divorce"

powell

Literate
...His Trump post was childish. I don't care for Trump personally so I suppose I'm still welcome to read his video games blog, but
"Still, I will and do work with Republicans. I won't get up and leave the table if I find out my dinner companion is a Republican. I'd give one a ride if his car was broken down on the highway"
is something I have trouble picturing a normally functioning adult saying/writing. Replace "Republicans" with "Jews" or "Muslims" or "old people" or "divorced women" or anything and see how ridiculous that sounds.

I enjoy reading the blog and I agree it was silly to write this or include anything beyond a small note about whom he supports, but I do understand the sentiment. There are some beliefs that each of view as incompatible (or offensive) with our ethos that we have trouble accepting them. I wouldn't think that about Republicans, even if I don't like Trump. However, there are people I would pause before assisting if they needed it, such as Nazis and other fascists (not the Trump supporters the media and left name call, but actual Nazis); I don't care if it's just their opinion and they're law abiding people, but if one asked for a lift, needed a couple of dollars, or wanted me to switch shifts with them, I would not do it out of principle. If they needed my help in a life or death situation, I would most certainly help them, but I'm not going to inconvenience myself over something small. It's not about hating someone, it's about rejecting their political or religious ideology because it is so antithetical to your beliefs.

No normal person has to state that they are willing to work with people that do not agree with them politically.

A person's politics doesn't exist in a bubble. It is based on their character, their morals, their beliefs, and their experiences. It's how the stereotypes of each side came to be in the first place; how many here think that every progressive is some soft-skinned bleeding heart in need of a safe space? How many leftists think that the far right lacks empathy and kindness, is selfish, and wants to hurt political opponents? Politics and personal character can't be divorced. I don't feel as extreme as he does about Trump supporters, but there are people I don't want to interact with because their beliefs inform me about their character.

duanth123

Arcane
Don't forget, "people who have decided to become upjumped crpg blog writers that whine about being called a retard yet casually practice on their CRPG blog the infinitely more grotesque habit of censorship, and who, because their habit of reviewing old crpgs is so liked by some, are rewarded grace even on sites diametrically opposed to the non-crpg related behavior that infuses their sites, and despite, and to the extent the true measure of a man is his willingness to tolerate the freedom of opinion of others, having proven themselves to be worse than a retard; to wit, a willingly hypocritical man-child which only introspection, and not a bunch of, I love your work1!!" can cure.

They are people too.

Even if they haven't responded a single time to this thread since their whining rant last week.

Even if they will never change, having safely ensconced themselves in a bad word free bubble until the end of their time, reality be damned.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
The real question is if he'll review Knights of Xentar and Cobra Mission: Panic in Cobra City. :3
Knights of Xentar is pretty great, and has a very unique combat system, think i played through it twice, liked it more than i liked final fantasy 6.
Cobra Mission is meh, wouldnt recommend it.

I came to the exact opposite conclusion back in the day: Cobra Mission had a fun combat system and was campy enough to make one want to keep playing, while KoX felt forced in far too many ways and the combat system is comparable with that of Ultima 7.

I state this with the disclaimer that I haven't touched either game for about 20-25 years, so my memory may be getting hazy.

Mustawd

I think the reason you don't hear about Disciples of Steel often is that the game's generally considered bad-to-average,

This. I remember downloading it form an abandonware website, firing it up, and being unimpressed.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
This comes way too late, but I think the reason why the cRPG Addict takes so much offense is because he is actually a 50-year old dude, not someone on his 20's or 30's and thus isn't used to Internet conventions.

Gunnar

Arbiter
Chhheeeeesssstttteeeerrrr, I'm enjoying the fruits of your labor again! :smug:

crpgaddict said:
This posting represents more than 30 hours of gameplay. Eager to finish the damned game, I cleared my schedule for two whole days and did nothing but play Fate from morning to night. It got me through one dungeon--a dungeon large enough that in any other game, it would be the whole game. Fate has now exceeded NetHack as the longest game on this blog.

268 hours total so far on Fate, I'm impressed!

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I think the reason you don't hear about Disciples of Steel often is that the game's generally considered bad-to-average,

This. I remember downloading it form an abandonware website, firing it up, and being unimpressed.

I think Disciples of Steel has the largest difference in first impressions vs final verdict of any game I've played.

This comes way too late, but I think the reason why the cRPG Addict takes so much offense is because he is actually a 50-year old dude, not someone on his 20's or 30's and thus isn't used to Internet conventions.

He he, from the mouths of babes...
If you're 50 you probably have been on the Internet from day 1, remember Usenet and flamewars that raged for years, and in general is used to less censorship, moderation and Political Correctness than people in their 20's who has grown up in a world increasingly polluted by PC'ism and SJW'ism.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
If you're 50 you probably have been on the Internet from day 1, remember Usenet and flamewars that raged for years, and in general is used to less censorship, moderation and Political Correctness than people in their 20's who has grown up in a world increasingly polluted by PC'ism and SJW'ism.

Just because you can use the Internet doesn't mean you go into forums. I haven't got that many friends of Facebook, only around 100, but I'm willing to bet less than 10 of them actually browse forums and are used to trolling and baiting. Even then, none would survive the Codex, only the fittest do.

Drew

Savant
If you're 50 you probably have been on the Internet from day 1
I don't think you mean quite what you said here.
Even when you account for him being a crpg player, his reaction to the standards of less moderated areas of the internet make it seem like he might not have spent a lot of time there previously.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Even when you account for him being a crpg player, his reaction to the standards of less moderated areas of the internet make it seem like he might not have spent a lot of time there previously.

Well, we're all individuals, but I don't think CRPG Addict's age is his "problem".

Iznaliu

Arbiter
A person's politics doesn't exist in a bubble. It is based on their character, their morals, their beliefs, and their experiences. It's how the stereotypes of each side came to be in the first place; how many here think that every progressive is some soft-skinned bleeding heart in need of a safe space? How many leftists think that the far right lacks empathy and kindness, is selfish, and wants to hurt political opponents? Politics and personal character can't be divorced. I don't feel as extreme as he does about Trump supporters, but there are people I don't want to interact with because their beliefs inform me about their character.

It is worth pointing out that some of the far right likes safe spaces as well. They just don't explicitly state them as their modus operandi.

Drew

Savant

Well, we're all individuals, but I don't think CRPG Addict's age is his "problem".

It's only a "problem" insomuch that it inhibits his posts here.
However, someone who has spent 50 years tending to the societal social customs of the western world would generally have the save response when suddenly thrust into the internet, as people calling others "fucking retards" and "subhuman pieces of shit" would be quite offensive among strangers, given those customs he is used to. I would expect that people of a greater age would typically struggle more to come to terms with those societal norms being different here, substantially so in the diction, merely because they have spent significantly greater time not experiencing these customs. They also likely come from a position in real life in which they are regarded as the authority on these customs. Overall, age isn't the problem, I agree. But he is likely unaware that he has entered a "society", so to speak, where calling someone a 'fucking retarded niggerfucker' is akin to saying "Your point here is dumb and I don't want to hear more from you" and age probably doesn't help him adapt quickly.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Good point about age and adaptability.
It's harder to break out of your comfort zone the older you are.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
His recent posts make me wonder what the heck I was doing in 1990.

Or simply I did not have the cash to buy many games so I must have concentrated on just a few.

Of the games he mentions that I would like to play again

Captive - I remember liking that quite a lot. Stripped of any meaningful story telling though.

Captive+(Mindscape,+1990,+Amiga)_30.png

Elvira: Mistress of the Dark - yes, I can’t imagine what made me buy this. I think I read a review. Or maybe it was something else. Gameplay was adventure/ horror something. Pretty decent.

elvira_3.jpg

MegaTraveller I: The Zhodani Conspiracy - this one turns out to be crap (everyone says it was) but I remember really liking it a lot. Really would love to play again. I vaguely remember stuff about creating the party and thinking about their skills and also the laser combat or something.

maxresdefault.jpg

The other games from his 1990 set are Ultima based. Probably my biggest to do around RPG games revolve around the Martian Dreams/ Savage Empire/ Ultima False Prophet.

How do I gain the courage and commitment to do them? Maybe another Virginity Lost to.. thread.

I have them all downloaded and ready via GOG.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
10 months ago I said this:

He's reviewing Fate: Gates of Dawn. No way he finishes this. :)

http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2016/04/game-220-fate-gates-of-dawn-1991.html

Then a week or two ago, crpgaddict said:

No way he finishes this.

You're going to owe me an apology in about a week.

Well, I owe him a large apology/mea culpa/etc. He just finished the game. For the amount of time he had to spend, he could have finished 10 other CRPGs. The fact that he finished Fate: Gates of Dawn at all is an accomplishment that maybe a dozen regulars of this site (at most) might be able to say they have matched. Too bad it seemed like a chore rather than a fun time throughout, otherwise I might have been tempted to try it myself. But I can't see spending 200-300 hours on something like this game. Maybe someone else here would be tempted.

http://crpgaddict.blogspot.qa/2017/02/fate-won.html

fatefinalbattle2.PNG

Mustawd

Haha, that final scene though. :D

What a ridiculous letdown. Almost 300 hours of gameplay ends with a stunted confrontation in which my characters play no role, the big bad is defeated by a deus ex machina character who I never heard of until 98% of the way through the game, no explanation is offered for Thardan's bringing me to this world to begin with, and I'm supposed to forget all of this because I got to see a fuzzy pair of B-cups.

That abrupt ending would piss me off too. Especial after 270 hrs.

Unwanted

Charles Eli Cheese

Neckbeard Shitlord
Edgy Shitposter
10 months ago I said this:

He's reviewing Fate: Gates of Dawn. No way he finishes this. :)

http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2016/04/game-220-fate-gates-of-dawn-1991.html

Then a week or two ago, crpgaddict said:

No way he finishes this.

You're going to owe me an apology in about a week.

Well, I owe him a large apology/mea culpa/etc. He just finished the game. For the amount of time he had to spend, he could have finished 10 other CRPGs. The fact that he finished Fate: Gates of Dawn at all is an accomplishment that maybe a dozen regulars of this site (at most) might be able to say they have matched. Too bad it seemed like a chore rather than a fun time throughout, otherwise I might have been tempted to try it myself. But I can't see spending 200-300 hours on something like this game. Maybe someone else here would be tempted.

http://crpgaddict.blogspot.qa/2017/02/fate-won.html

fatefinalbattle2.PNG

Now, at risk of being again misunderstood and called a Puritan, we have to deal with the issue of Morganna's nudity, because the way it's used here is stupid and tiresome. When I talked about nudity in the context of Wizardry VI, I was not upset at the nudity itself but rather how forced it was. I was annoyed by the implicit expectation that I would enjoy it, because after all, everyone knows computer games are for adolescent boys. It's not even that the nudity was "gratuitous"; gratuitous nudity is fine. It's that it ran contrary to anything that made sense plotwise, and was being shoved in my face for no purpose except that it clearly excited the creepy creator.

:lol:

Good lord, looks like he has gone full male feminist. You know most adult people would simply not even notice/give a shit about some naked characters.

Next time I go to the gym I will rant about the gratuitous nudity in the locker room and see how everyone reacts.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I like how the game took him 272 hours and that seems "massive". Honestly, the only problem is not having fun. Then again, this is not dnd, which legitimately took a dude a year to complete, and a year in which he would always play the game at that, and a year in which he would die constantly and would need to grind all the fucking time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom