Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CRPGAddict

Mustawd

What was the one where there was phase based turn based combat? Like you would pick an enemy to attack and which body part, and the resolution happened at the same time as the enemies turn.

Knights something or other I think. I remember his main complaint was that once you killed most of the enemy, it was then a game of hunt the rabbit for the last remaining enemy, and the game wouldn't help you figure out where they were.

Anyway, I was thinking of this game when the whole phase based/RTwP/AD&D 2nd Ed started in the Icewind Dale ToEE thread.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
So how about all them CRPGs the CRPG Addict has played the past 6-7 years?
I was surprised by how competent "natural selection" was. The guy played 240 RPGs and only found two forgotten gems: Disciples of Steel and Omega.

That's impressive, I expected more games that no on ever heard about due to distribution / dev issues.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
What was the one where there was phase based turn based combat? Like you would pick an enemy to attack and which body part, and the resolution happened at the same time as the enemies turn.

Knights something or other I think. I remember his main complaint was that once you killed most of the enemy, it was then a game of hunt the rabbit for the last remaining enemy, and the game wouldn't help you figure out where they were.

Anyway, I was thinking of this game when the whole phase based/RTwP/AD&D 2nd Ed started in the Icewind Dale ToEE thread.

Knights of Legend.

I was surprised by how competent "natural selection" was. The guy played 240 RPGs and only found two forgotten gems: Disciples of Steel and Omega.

That's impressive, I expected more games that no on ever heard about due to distribution / dev issues.

Yeah, most of the games I skipped on my own chronological play list I did for good reasons. The only exception I can think of is just Disciples of Steel.

And I'm looking forward to him finish 1991, when the quality to quantity ratio will increase.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yes, I can't wait for him to cover Ultima Underworld and Might and Magic IV from 1992, but is there really anything else to get excited about from that year? 1993 seems the start of the golden age. FRUA, Ultima VII, Treasures of the Savage Frontier, Quest for Glory IV, Betrayal at Krondor, Wizardry VII, and Eye of the Beholder. What a great year!

Mustawd

Yes, I can't wait for him to cover Ultima Underworld and Might and Magic IV from 1992, but is there really anything else to get excited about from that year? 1993 seems the start of the golden age. FRUA, Ultima VII, Treasures of the Savage Frontier, Quest for Glory IV, Betrayal at Krondor, Wizardry VII, and Eye of the Beholder. What a great year!

IIRC there was a good amount of quality JRPGs/SRPGs released that year. Nothing that comes to mind for western RPGs outside what you mentioned.

Beastro

Arcane
Internet is still enough like RL that if you bitch about people ribbing you they will latch onto you like a lamprey. Brush it off and keep going and it will pass. If it bothers you the last thing you do is post it outright, hit back with your own casually snide remarks.

How can people not have learned this in school even with all the coddling these days?

..and every time I bother to pop into this thread, someone's calling me a "retard."

That's something only a retard would say.

(Hint: Now think of something to say back)

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Yes, I can't wait for him to cover Ultima Underworld and Might and Magic IV from 1992, but is there really anything else to get excited about from that year?

Abandoned Places (not very good, but I'm really looking forward to him blogging about it)
Black Crypt
Treasures of the Savage Frontier
Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny
Ultima VII
Dark Queen of Krynn
Darklands
Wizardry: Crusaders of the Dark Savant (no nudity, but still... :D )

1993 seems the start of the golden age. FRUA, Ultima VII, Treasures of the Savage Frontier, Quest for Glory IV, Betrayal at Krondor, Wizardry VII, and Eye of the Beholder. What a great year!

Heh, three of those games are from 1992. ;)

Also:
The Legacy: Realm of Terror
Ultima Underworld 2
Dark Sun: Shattered Lands

pippin

But I wish I'd listened to those of you who told me not to play it at all. I'm deleting the rest of the series from my game list, and I will not be playing any more games that feature sexual assault as a primary game element. The only time I ever want to see Rance again is in a game in which I--preferably playing a female PC--get to kill him.
good luck with that breh

RGb57us.jpg

That is the thing, though. Rance is a Chosen One, not just "any" Chosen One but the Ultimate Chosen One. He has been blessed and cursed with having the Hyper Weapon, and he just acts accordingly.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
So how about all them CRPGs the CRPG Addict has played the past 6-7 years?

Perhaps so. But perhaps this is like people who say that we're lucky to have a world that so well fits our aesthetic standards, rather than considering that our aesthetic standards are shaped by the world we have. In 2047 Felipepepe Jr. will fondly say, "Chester Bolingbroke III totally nailed the 2000s -- they're all there -- Fallout IV, Mass Effect 3, Diablo 3... the only thing he really uncovered was Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny." Then Felipepepe Sr. will try to strike his son across the head with an RPG tome whose pages are still uncut, only to realize that books don't exist anymore and he's just cracked the screen of his iPad.

Lhynn

Arcane
The real question is if he'll review Knights of Xentar and Cobra Mission: Panic in Cobra City. :3
Knights of Xentar is pretty great, and has a very unique combat system, think i played through it twice, liked it more than i liked final fantasy 6.
Cobra Mission is meh, wouldnt recommend it.

V_K

Arcane
was surprised by how competent "natural selection" was. The guy played 240 RPGs and only found two forgotten gems: Disciples of Steel and Omega.

I think you're approaching this from a perspective of your own, rather extensive, knowledge of RPG history. I think even on the Codex there are plenty of users who haven't heard about e.g. Dark Heart of Uukrul or Dragon Wars.
Also, it may be just that CRPGAddict's tastes align better with the mainstream lineage. He did give Wiz6 a lower rating than Champions of Krynn, after all. And at times I get a feeling that he doesn't really appreciate games that try to do things differently.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
And at times I get a feeling that he doesn't really appreciate games that try to do things differently.

The guy's negative reaction to the Worlds of Ultima games is just bizarre to me. It's like he hates the idea of those games even existing.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I think you're approaching this from a perspective of your own, rather extensive, knowledge of RPG history. I think even on the Codex there are plenty of users who haven't heard about e.g. Dark Heart of Uukrul or Dragon Wars.
In a sense, yeah. My point is that over the past 10 years posting on the Codex I had heard a lot about Uukrul and Dragon Wars, but not of the other two.

For example, Mordor / Demise are extremely obscure, but you see threads about them, screenshots and they still have an active online community.

V_K

Arcane
In a sense, yeah. My point is that over the past 10 years posting on the Codex I had heard a lot about Uukrul and Dragon Wars, but not of the other two.
I think the reason you don't hear about Disciples of Steel often is that the game's generally considered bad-to-average, the Addict being the first one to uncover its virtues (though personally after his coverage I remain unconvinced). It was pretty common on the abandonware sites like HotUD back in the day.
Omega, on the other hand, seems truly obscure.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I remember renting Omega (the one from Origin?) for my Commodore 64 in 1989 right after having played the C64 versions of Pool of Radiance & Dragon Wars. It sounded so freakin' cool. I mean, robot tanks that you programmed to do battle with each other! It was quite a shock to realize I'd have to read the 1" thick printed manual to even begin to make heads or tails out of it since it was practically an actual programming language you needed to learn to program the tiny C64 sprites representing bots bumping uglies with each other. WTF? It went right back to the place I rented it from :mad:

V_K

Arcane
That's a different Omega, an open-world roguelike.
The unimaginative name is probably one of the reasons it's so obscure (another one is it being rather buggy).

TigerKnee

Arcane
The only reason I've heard of Omega is that I believe some other game claimed it as an influence, which lead me to look into it. I've played it for a while but outside of the beginning quiz, I don't feel it stands out that much to me as a Roguelike.

newtmonkey

Arcane
crpgaddict does good work and he has played (and finished [without walkthroughs even]) more classic crpgs than anyone on this site, so I respect that. He writes clearly and is generally good at summarizing what's good and isn't good about crpgs. Sometimes I feel he rushes through games that give him a bad impression, and he ends up not being to appreciate them. He's got a very narrow idea of what a crpg should be (I don't mean this in a negative way), and any game that does not meet that criteria will end up being marked down on his scale. However, I do appreciate that 1) he doesn't give up on games anymore unless they are broken or tedious to the point of unplayability, 2) has broken his DOS-only rule and now generally tries to play through on the "best" version of a game, 3) no longer tries to convince the readers that he is "normal" and not a nerd etc (this was a very annoying aspect of his writing early on).

His Trump post was childish. I don't care for Trump personally so I suppose I'm still welcome to read his video games blog, but
"Still, I will and do work with Republicans. I won't get up and leave the table if I find out my dinner companion is a Republican. I'd give one a ride if his car was broken down on the highway"
is something I have trouble picturing a normally functioning adult saying/writing. Replace "Republicans" with "Jews" or "Muslims" or "old people" or "divorced women" or anything and see how ridiculous that sounds. No normal person has to state that they are willing to work with people that do not agree with them politically. I simply cannot imagine a person who is so obsessed with politics that he has to state that he would save someone from a burning car, even if they voted for someone he didn't personally agree with. It just sounds demented.

V_K

Arcane
Replace "Republicans" with "Jews" or "Muslims" or "old people" or "divorced women" or anything and see how ridiculous that sounds.
Just can't resist pointing out a logical fallacy here: you're mixing up something one chooses (political or religious beliefs) with something one is and has no control over (ethnicity, gender, age etc.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom