Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CRPGAddict

Art Vandelay

Prophet
Anyone that has an opinion on why is certain game 53rd on his list of 100 or w/e is either a fucking liar or sick in the head.

Declinator

Arbiter
I had a bit of time and begun wondering how CRPG Addict scores compares to the Codex top 70 list.

Here we go then -

Planescape: Torment. Well. Really. He has not played it yet. What a loser.

You do understand that CRPG Addict goes through the games in a chronological order (or tries to). He is nowhere near Torment or Fallouts yet.

Other than that, Poe's Law strikes yet again and I find myself unsure as to what parts of your posts are meant to be serious and what parts not. Final Fantasy 7 is a dull game though.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I had a bit of time and begun wondering how CRPG Addict scores compares to the Codex top 70 list.

Here we go then -

Planescape: Torment. Well. Really. He has not played it yet. What a loser.

Fallout 1. Ho, hum. Not listed on his list. Maybe he should take out the "RPG" bit from his name right.

Fallout 2. No sign.

Here we go then. Further and further down the rabbit hole. Not listed. Not listed, Keep going.

Finally,

32 Wizardry VI: Bane of the Cosmic Forge. He rated it 106th out of the 119 games he played thus far. And said:

"The final score of 53 is much higher than I gave its predecessors, influenced by the much better approach to the story and NPCs, and the slightly better approach to magic and combat. It's a good game, and if I sometimes seemed less than enthusiastic during my posts, it's because Bradley rubbed me the wrong way in the game materials and continued to rub me the wrong way (at this point that phrase becomes unfortunate) with his frequent invitations to look at those bazoombas"

So what. I have come to a conclusion.

1. Gaming did not start in 1997 with Fallout 1. A lot of you are a bunch of total losers going on AND ON AND ON AND ON about the Bee Gees 1 and 2 and the Fallouts ad nauseam. Comparing every game that is published to the holy shitty trinity of FallGateScape.

2. How did you lot ever place Alpha bug turd Protocrap above real damn classics like Ultima IV, Wasteland 1 and Ultima Underworld.

3. The first game I can really remember from Addicts timeline properly is Hack (1984) - and that was probably better than many of the games listed in the All Time list.

Finally - I now understand that when I ask for game recommendations a bunch of guys go on about games I never heard off. Including Dark Souls. This is because too many of you are consoleturded. You should be ashamed of yourselves as consoles killed RPGs. So far, and in my opinion, the only "RPG" that is allowed to cross over to PC platform is Final Fantasy 7. I have not played most of the others as because I said already - they exist on crappy consoles first.

Consoles killed the RPG. Look what happened with Oblivion and Fallout 4. There is no place to read or think.

Even jRPG like Retgear Shopping or Trials in the Sky can't clean FF7 shoes.

Viva and hail the Addict. The Codex needs to re-evaluate and drop this love affair with the holy trinity.

From what I remember RPG Addict loves Oblivion and Skyrim.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
He also loves obscure, French games that only one or two people have heard about before.
He has varied taste in CRPGs; he's an addict.
Half the games he completes I don't think I would have touched even if I had unlimited time.

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
He has finished Wizardry 1-3 and ascended in Nethack. I don't care if this guy is a normalfag, has retarded opinions, is developing a case of unwarranted self importance or writes entire articles about muh soggy knee. He's made a routine out of beating arcane blobbers and assorted RPGs that most people wouldn't be able to stomach, much less complete. That's more than I can say about the faggots I've seen mouthing off here.

It's like finding out your old prudish uncle plays more videogames than you do.

:bro:

Mustawd

He has finished Wizardry 1-3 and ascended in Nethack. I don't care if this guy is a normalfag, has retarded opinions, is developing a case of unwarranted self importance or writes entire articles about muh soggy knee. He's made a routine out of beating arcane blobbers and assorted RPGs that most people wouldn't be able to stomach, much less complete. That's more than I can say about the faggots I've seen mouthing off here.

It's like finding out your old prudish uncle plays more videogames than you do.

:bro:

When I read his series on The Dark Heart of Uukrul, I realized I could never beat that game. I mean that ridiculously unfair crossword puzzle? F that...

Say what you want about his retarded notions of cRPGs (as if we do't all have our own; I'm looking at you BG fans), but the dude is more of a hardcore player than 80% of the 'Dex.

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
You fucks are just popamole Pillars of Dickinassity anyways. :troll:

Electryon

Savant
Say what you want about his retarded notions of cRPGs (as if we do't all have our own; I'm looking at you BG fans), but the dude is more of a hardcore player than 80% of the 'Dex.

Easily....he played through TWO versions of Legends of Faerghail since the DOS-version is bugged to the point of being unplayable. He's completed nearly everything he's started that didn't bore him to tears (Bard's Tale 3) or that wasn't an exercise in masochism (Wizardry IV). I'd wager he is a more accomplished RPG player at this point than maybe, what, a dozen people who post on this forum?? Shit, some of the stuff he's played I can't even FIND, and I make it a point to collect obscure titles much like he does.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Funny, but I actually enjoyed and completed Bard's Tale 3 (with the UOP) and Wizardry 4, but lots of the games he's completed I wouldn't touch even with your keyboard. But I have a feeling he will return to them.

Electryon

Savant
Funny, but I actually enjoyed and completed Bard's Tale 3 (with the UOP) and Wizardry 4, but lots of the games he's completed I wouldn't touch even with your keyboard. But I have a feeling he will return to them.

Oh, I have no doubt he COULD complete both. He very clearly stated that he just didn't see the point in continuing with Bard's Tale 3 with so many other games on this list, and he got halfway through Wizardry IV before coming to the conclusion that (and it's hard to disagree here) that as good and legitimately challenging and well-made it is (for what it's trying to do) that it's also kind of a sick joke being perpetrated on the players. Even looking at the maps for that game is mind-numbing. Also, keep in mind, that back then, these games were designed with the expectation that this might be one of the 2 or 3 purchases the buyer would make for that WHOLE YEAR. It's hard to view titles that require massive time commitments and dedication to beat in the same way when we now have another 2 or 3 decades of RPGs in the backlog that came after it. We live in a time where we can access the whole history of the genre on our laptops, that was never the case back then.

Also people, keep in mind that he hasn't even reached what we would call the "modern" era (meaning Fallout/Baldur's Gate). Hell, he hasn't even made it to Isles of Terra yet. I'd say the most modern game he's played to this point is Eye of the Beholder or Ultima VI....

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Can we go back to discussing how he's a whiny social justice baby, please

Electryon

Savant
1. Gaming did not start in 1997 with Fallout 1. A lot of you are a bunch of total losers going on AND ON AND ON AND ON about the Bee Gees 1 and 2 and the Fallouts ad nauseam. Comparing every game that is published to the holy shitty trinity of FallGateScape.

2. How did you lot ever place Alpha bug turd Protocrap above real damn classics like Ultima IV, Wasteland 1 and Ultima Underworld.

No, CRPG gaming most certainly did not start with Fallout and Baldur's Gate. But MODERN CRPG gaming absolutely did (with alot of help from Ultima VII 5 years prior). What does that mean?? Basically a shift away from grid-based, hand-drawn map blobbers and Ultima clones where most story and exposition was contained in manuals or adventure guides to a more narrative, cinematic experience with ease of use UI functions such as quest logs, journal entries, and NPCs with distinct personalities. Which sure as hell isn't to say that Ultima Underworld, Wasteland, and Pool of Radiance are BAD games. They are great games. But what FallGateScape (as you put it) did was make the genre palpable and more accessible to a far larger group of people while nonetheless providing a pretty deep and rewarding experience. As difficult or hardcore as some of the older titles?? Of course not, but that doesn't make them less valid.

V_K

Arcane

No, CRPG gaming most certainly did not start with Fallout and Baldur's Gate. But MODERN CRPG gaming absolutely did (with alot of help from Ultima VII 5 years prior). What does that mean?? Basically a shift away from grid-based, hand-drawn map blobbers and Ultima clones where most story and exposition was contained in manuals or adventure guides to a more narrative, cinematic experience with ease of use UI functions such as quest logs, journal entries, and NPCs with distinct personalities.
So, basically, what you're saying is that FallGateScape started the Decline? :D

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter

No, CRPG gaming most certainly did not start with Fallout and Baldur's Gate. But MODERN CRPG gaming absolutely did (with alot of help from Ultima VII 5 years prior). What does that mean?? Basically a shift away from grid-based, hand-drawn map blobbers and Ultima clones where most story and exposition was contained in manuals or adventure guides to a more narrative, cinematic experience with ease of use UI functions such as quest logs, journal entries, and NPCs with distinct personalities.
So, basically, what you're saying is that FallGateScape started the Decline? :D

Hmmm, not sure. Of the holy trinity known as FellScapeGate, I have only played the Fallout 1 and 2.

I really liked Pillars of Eternity but I do admit some nausea about playing the Baldur's Gates. I really could not enjoy them first time around. I think I prefer a turn based combat ala DoS. The pause real time combat thing sometimes felt a bit chaotic and the camera angles in PoE sometimes made me feel frustrated.

I was only making the point - tongue in cheek - that the Codex all-time list was very post 1997. Personally I would have placed Ultima IV and SS2 much higher. No Bards Tale 1 or Alternative Reality Dungeon? Shame.

Looking forward to the Addicts comments on the holy trinity - he is getting to that era.

Declinator

Arbiter
Looking forward to the Addicts comments on the holy trinity - he is getting to that era.

He started the blog 2010. There was exponentially less RPGs in the early years. He has only recently reached 1991 and 1990 took about one-and-a-half years.

I think he will reach Fallout about 2022 and I think that may just be a bit too positive an estimation.

V_K

Arcane
mmm, not sure. Of the holy trinity known as FellScapeGate, I have only played the Fallout 1 and 2.

I really liked Pillars of Eternity but I do admit some nausea about playing the Baldur's Gates. I really could not enjoy them first time around. I think I prefer a turn based combat ala DoS. The pause real time combat thing sometimes felt a bit chaotic and the camera angles in PoE sometimes made me feel frustrated.

I was only making the point - tongue in cheek - that the Codex all-time list was very post 1997. Personally I would have placed Ultima IV and SS2 much higher. No Bards Tale 1 or Alternative Reality Dungeon? Shame.

I was trolling replying to Electryon.

Electryon

Savant
I find the Codex 70 to be pretty balanced overall. The newer games that are on there deserve to be, but yes, the TOP of the list his heavily on the side of isometric RPGs released in that time period. The all deserve to be on the list, but them having total monopoly over the first five spots is a bit much. That said, older games are fairly well-represented on the list. I'm not entirely sure how the first Bard's Tale doesn't make the list either, but it may have just seemed superfluous to voters between Wizardry and Might and Magic. Alternative Reality: The Dungeon isn't all that easy to get your hands on, you have to emulate it in AppleWin (that's where my copy is anyway) and I'm sure most people simply don't have much knowledge about it. All the Ultima games featured were a bit low, though they picked the best ones regardless. System Shock 2 is one of the best games of all-time but it's RPG mechanics are lighter than some purists may like.

Classics such as Pool of radiance, Dragon wars, Ultima IV or Wasteland (or even more obscure games like Questron or Demon's winter) are not high enough on the top 70, but then, it's certainly me wearing rose-tinted glasses, I suspect that Planescape Torment, Bloodlines or even Fallout New Vegas are a lot better than the goldies oldies.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

He started the blog 2010. There was exponentially less RPGs in the early years. He has only recently reached 1991 and 1990 took about one-and-a-half years.

I think he will reach Fallout about 2022 and I think that may just be a bit too positive an estimation.

I estimate 1991, 1992, and 1993 all will take about the same time as 1990. But 1994-1996 will take relatively short time. So me may reach Fallout by 2022 if he keeps up his pace.

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I find the Codex 70 to be pretty balanced overall. The newer games that are on there deserve to be, but yes, the TOP of the list his heavily on the side of isometric RPGs released in that time period. The all deserve to be on the list, but them having total monopoly over the first five spots is a bit much.
Well, remember that the Codex was founded in 2002 mostly as a Fallout fan-site, fapping to Black Isle and Troika... it was a long time ago, but it's in our DNA.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom