Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CRPGAddict

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
I wonder if that dead NPC he left behind has anything to do with the broken ending.

Edit: When you see Kham at the entrance to the big bad's castle, he tells you to seek out his ex-companions and resurrect them at the temple so they can help you find the rune, but I guess he found the rune fine...

I'm also pretty suspicious of that massive reward for finding the Ruby Dagger on the first level. I've been playing for a while and avoided giving away the dagger for now, and the economy progression feels pretty reasonable so far.

Last edited:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Anyway the CRPG Addict seems to have read your message, and has udated his latest post on the game.
I won't claim credit, since he may just have sobered up and realized he was being unfair without reading anything here (especially after some of the commenters dug deeper into the game files), but whatever the reason I'm glad he wrote that addendum :thumbsup:

I'll give him this, he may make some pretty out there comments sometimes, but at least he's quick to admit he was mistaken and switch his position when offered evidence that he's wrong. That's more that can be said for just about every other "reviewer" out there.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
For all the flack that he gets on here, he provides a huge service to the CRPG community. He may not be as hard core as some of us here, but I can't think of anyone short of felipepe that has made accessible so many older classic or forgotten CRPGs.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
His blog inspired me to play through Ultima IV and Pool of Radiance, two games about as old as I am which I probably wouldn't have bothered with otherwise, so I for one am grateful.

Inspectah

Savant
Shame the codex managed to scare off the addict, would be nice having him here.
I really enjoy reading his stuff. I'm going through chronologicaly, just finished reading the windwalker postings.
It is a pretty good blog when he isn't talking about himself or his political views

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It is a pretty good blog when he isn't talking about himself or his political views

pretty much the reason why I'm glad he's not here. I can handle his opinions in small doses, but I'd hate to log on and find him posting over and over again about how shocked and appalled he is about the portrayal of women in games.

He needs to just sit there, drink his alcohol, and play through old rpgs that I can't be bothered with.

Leitz

Learned
I'm going to call both you and the addict out for reaching this conclusion considering the evidence you actually have on hand.

For those of you who haven't followed the blog, here's how things unfolded: the addict got stuck on the last fight in the game and couldn't complete it. Now I'm not going to bring up exactly what this may or may not mean, considering other fights in which he got hopelessly stuck when there really was no reason (Bard's Tale sends its best). Let's stick to the facts of this story. He's stuck. He sends his saves to a commenter. Commenter sends him back hex edited saves. Keep in mind he has no idea how the game code works, how the saves work, or how the hex editing was actually done. He just took a save that was heavily hex edited in a way that he has no idea about, went on to kill the final boss in a way that may or may not be the intended way of completing the game, and didn't get a win screen.

Now of course, considering these circumstances, there are many explanations for what could have gone wrong:
1) The first one that would spring to mind to anyone with half a brain: you're using a hex edited save with no idea how the save was hex edited, with stat values that far surpass what is normally attainable in the game. Things bugging out as a result isn't just a possibility, it's actually quite likely.
2) He's playing a translation that was made IIRC without any involvement from the developers. He's already encountered bugs that clearly were introduced with the translation, with some text not displaying when it should. It wouldn't be a stretch to think that a similar bug is happening here, with the ending screen not displaying for the same reason.
3) The final fight may not be winnable by normal means. Some of the texts that weren't displayed might be telling the player what to actually do to win, and superior numbers are simply not the way to go. Think of EOB1 where just slashing at Xanathar doesn't work.
4) The game might simply be this buggy, hex editing or not.
5) He's playing the game on an emulator. For such an obscure, it probably was never tested on the emulator, and he might have hit an unfortunate bug due to emulation.

So, which one of these did he and the commenters consider most likely?

Why, none of them of course! They instead went with
6) The developers purposefully made the game unwinnable because they didn't want to bother coming up with an ending screen or text.

A little bit off-topic, but I like to add a quirky thing that I encountered myself not long ago:

I played through Realms of Arkania III: Shadows over Riva for the first time. Right before the endboss there is an encounter with mirrowed characters of yours. To my suprise there was a weird sevenths enemy with a name that consisted from a few letters and numbers wearing a hood. This guy was totally out of order and left a mystic impression on me since he had no reason to be there.

After several tries (he was unbeatable!) I looked it up and found a thread in the german community that solved the riddle: The hooded enemy that is unbeatable occurs only as a bug on modern systems. Nobody knows why. A Weird uncommon kind of a bug. You can use a certain spell on him though which let's you move on.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hmm, CRPGAddict interviewed the developer of Questron recently: http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2015/10/questron-more-from-creator.html

Q. I'm curious what experience you had with computer RPGs and/or tabletop RPGs before writing Questron. You feature some mechanics--primarily the leveling-through-plot-development rather than experience--that are a little odd for the genre. One of the things I talked about in several of your games--complained about, frankly--is that monsters don't deliver any experience, so there's hardly any reason to fight them except that they're standing in your way. Were you deliberately trying to buck the norm here, or did you just not have experience with games that did it differently?

A. I had almost no experience. I’d purchased an Apple II Plus about 18 months prior to writing Questron, and had taught myself BASIC and then assembly language from a book. Then I played Ultima and loved it. I’d never played anything like it. I really didn’t have experience with RPGs, so it blew me away with the sheer adventure of it. Bear in mind that I was just this young guy living in Michigan, working full time at another job, and then kind of stumbled into this.

So I think it’s fair to say I didn’t know what the “norm” was. My primary focus was to create something that was fun to play; something that I would have liked playing. I saw the monsters as more of a way to elongate the game and make it challenging. So lack of experience points was sheer ignorance, but there were other parts of the game that were very intentional.

Q. In all of your games, the majority of monsters are original to them. I was curious about your creative process in coming up with all the names and descriptions. Did you start with monsters in other fantasy settings and simply devise new names, or did you create each creature from scratch?

A. Most all creatures were created from scratch. I would brainstorm with a friend of mine (Jeremy), who then ended up joining me in the endeavor as a creative consultant. He came up with many of the wildly creative ideas and then I kind of pulled it together, coming up with descriptions, etc. It was fun thinking of offbeat and quirky descriptions, something we did even more of when my twin brother joined me for the next three games.

Q. The historical record leaves some confusion as to why Richard Garriott is credited for the "structure and style." Some sources say you or SSI did it preemptively; others say that Garriott sued (or threatened to sue) to get a cut of the royalties. Either way, your game was hardly the first to adapt the "structure and style" of another title, so being forced to credit Garriott is a bit unusual. Do you remember how this came about, and do you have any feelings on the matter?

A. Parts of that first version of Questron were quite similar to Ultima (a naïve choice on my part--at the time it seemed like every game was copying every other game). The outside terrain originally was very similar to Ultima, the menu system and overall screen layout was quite similar. But the other thing that happened was that somewhere around the time I was finishing Questron, Ultima II was published. Bear in mind I’d never seen Ultima II prior to sending Questron off to publishers, but when it was released I realized that Questron was far more similar to Ultima II then it had ever been to Ultima. This was horrifying, and the changes/advancements I’d made to not be too similar to Ultima were often quite similar to what turned out to be natural advancements betweenUltima and Ultima II.

The infamous credit on Questron's opening screen.

Everything else I have to say is hearsay because I wasn’t there for the conversations. What Broderbund told me was they were at some trade show showing a preview of Questron and Richard Garriott saw it. Apparently he was upset--and knowing what I know now I don’t blame him. This was of great concern to Brøderbund, and they were no longer sure they were going to publish. Of course I was devastated and felt foolish.

In any case, I was asked to figure out how to make Questron look less likeUltima. The changes were fairly easy. I think I redrew the outside terrain squares, added joystick control, made some cosmetic changes, etc. However, when I finished a couple months later Brøderbund told me the game was no longer fresh and they withdrew their offer to publish.

So I shopped around again for a publisher and SSI was interested. They worked out the license arrangement with Garriott--I’m not sure how that transpired and I’m not even sure I had a say in it. I don’t recall if it lessened my royalties, but the whole thing was an embarrassment. And a lesson. One of my regrets was never calling Richard to talk about it. But bear in mind he was a big name, I was a nobody living disconnected in the Midwest, and Brøderbund and SSI were telling me that he was pissed. I had no idea what to say to him.

So on the one hand I think I was a bit unlucky, but I have no trouble understanding how Garriott might have felt, especially because he would probably have assumed I’d seen Ultima II. Interestingly enough, in the years to follow other RPGs borrowed some of the innovative things we originated in Legacy of the Ancients and The Legend of Blacksilver. To the best of my knowledge, Legacy was the first game where the player walked up to an exterior view of a building and the top disappeared to reveal the insides (my apologies if I’m mistaken). We may have also invented arcade style games of skill to increase attributes (OK, some felt that was quirky) and games of chance to earn gold. We had also made huge graphic advancements at the time in the dungeons. All other games that I ever saw (of that day) were far more obviously composed of blocks, whereas our looked quite different

Q. Each one of your games features the merciless slaughter of castle guards, something that also featured heavily in Ultima. Did you ever have pangs about forcing players into such a situation? Did you ever receive any criticism for it?

A Questron II character prepares to plunder and massacre.

A. Yeah, I never loved that. A big problem we dealt with was the memory and disk space constraints of the machines of the time. It was almost impossible to pack a large external world with one set of graphic and controlling code, “3D” style dungeons with other coding, towns with a third, and castles with a fourth. So what you saw with the castles was largely the constraint of trying to do a lot of graphics and having not enough room for other things. I always wished I could have put a lot more plot into the games, a lot more dialogue, a lot more interactions, and more puzzles. The fact that we were trying to do a large world and high quality graphics (for the day) really meant we had to cut down on other things. I can literally remember multiple times we spent an hour or so rewriting a section of perfectly good code to save somewhere between 2-12 bytes, just to make something fit the space.

Q. For your game series, I get Questron, Legacy of the Ancients, Questron II, and The Legend of Blacksilver. (I've played all but the last.) Are there any other titles that you worked on that aren't on the standard database lists? Any that were in development that never saw publication?

A. These four were all the games (unlike the others we didn’t write theQuestron II code ourselves). Some stuff in development but not enough to really talk about.

Q. What ultimately happened to Quest Software? I get the impression that game development was always a side-career for you and John. Did you simply decide to focus on your primary careers?

A. This effort was full time work for about 6 years, not a side development. Basically we found that we never “turned the corner” financially. We never made enough money to hire an adequate staff; hence, John and I averaged about 70 hours a week and on our toughest weeks worked up to 110 hours. It was brutal. Both of us found it far easier, less stressful, far fewer hours and ultimately more lucrative when we returned to programming for businesses.

We’ve realized in retrospect that we made the wrong marketing decisions. We were programming for a niche that was too small. Our goal was to create an adventure world that was generally larger, more varied, graphically rich, more animated, more detailed storyline than typical games. But what we gave up was the detail of the fighting and magic system and primarily that was what the RPG world wanted. Our decision to keep top-down towns, castles, dungeons, museum and outside required essentially 5 different game engines, which made creating each new game quite difficult. Also, we never used the same engine for any game, feeling that each game had to be better. That required a lot of new programming each time because computers of that day didn’t get any faster (until we’d given up the business).

By the way, we thought The Legend of Blacksilver was our best, but it was released to Epyx which went bankrupt after having the rights to our game. After bankruptcy filing hey shrunk from something like 80 staff to 3 staff, so they had no real ability to publish but they owned the rights and we were stuck with nothing but the advance. Seemed like a good time to quit. Perhaps we should have pursued legal action to get our game back and publish elsewhere (both EA and SSI had made us offers prior to Epyx), but that would have been a messy business pursuing a career that wasn’t panning out to be that great.

Q. Perhaps the most notable feature of Questron is the ending, complete with the celebration and fanfare. Hardly any game of the time or since have offered this kind of satisfying denouement. Were you aware you were doing something special here?

A victory for a champion.

A. The ending was very much intentional, of course, but I didn’t know much about how it compared to other games. However, the few that I had played had little fanfare/celebration, which seemed wrong to me. I remember playing Ultima and being shocked at the end when there was essentially no reward. Given the amount of work a play put into that type of game how could there not be honor and a celebration? When writing my game (and later with John when writing our games), the goal was always to think about the player and try to “tune” the game for maximal enjoyment.

Speaking of tuning, we really did try to tune the games to maximize the fun. If players couldn’t figure out the next step we always gave bigger and bigger hints until they knew what to do. Our hope was that each player would consider him/herself a genius for figuring it out. It didn’t matter that some figured things with no hints and others practically had to be told what to do. Each player would get the same feeling of achievement.

Crooked Bee Relevant to your interests

It's funny that he's essentially saying that their games failed due to focusing too much on eye candy. Nicheware for nerds!

Last edited:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
A decade ago, Morrowind made me realize how far graphics had come when I found myself pausing between quests to stand on the top of a mountain and watch the sunrise. This is particularly important because I'm not otherwise a graphically-oriented person. Earlier this year, when some Redditor asked the community what game they'd most like to see remade with today's graphics and the top-voted answer was Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (2003), I was surprised--not because someone would want to remake KOTOR but because I already thought of the game as existing in the era of "today's graphics." The idea that it's not good enough for a large group of players just astonishes me. Then again, if graphic development had stopped with Ultima Underworld in 1992, I don't think I'd be bothered; I'm into RPGs for the mechanics, not the visuals. Nonetheless, I can still recognize beauty when I see it, and that sunrise in Morrowind was just beautiful.

I found a similar moment a couple of days ago in Fallout 4. I was in Salem, Massachusetts, the town in which Chester Bolingbroke actually lives. Although Fallout's Salem doesn't look much like the real Salem (among other things, the in-game Salem has only one witch museum), it was still lovely by post-apocalyptic standards. I found myself down on a beach listening to the waves and watching the eastern sky light up. There didn't seem to be a single object representing the sun as in Morrowind, but it was still nice. Peaceful. Beautiful...

Whap. At first, I didn't notice it--I was too intent on the sky. But then it came again. Whap. Whap. Whapwhapwhapwhapwhap. I noticed with alarm that my radiation level was rising dramatically, and before I could react, I was dead. Some jackass belonging to the Children of Atom had wandered over from a nearby commune and fried me with a gamma gun. As I sat there and looked at the reloading screen, I thought, what a perfect encapsulation of the Fallout universe. Forget that you're in a post-apocalyptic wasteland for even a moment, and you're dead.

An overwhelming sense of bleakness overcame me, and when the game finally came back up, I didn't want to keep playing. I was at once depressed and disgusted at the relentless violence of the universe. It's an absurd statement, I know--computer RPGs are, if nothing else, primarily about violence. Every RPG character reaches the winning screen after trekking through the blood of thousands. We hand-wave it by saying they were all "evil," but note that they're not the ones marching through the doors of our dungeons with small arsenals on their backs. (RPG players believe in some kind of reverse Castle Doctrine in which we can enter any building we want, and it's your fault if you turn violent in response.) My Fallout 4 character is Level 56 and has killed...let's see...1,076 people. Can you imagine how thoroughly traumatized a real-life solider would be with that kind of body count? I don't care if you make "good" or "evil" role-playing choices in quests and dialogue--either way, you're role-playing a sociopath.

Like its predecessor, I find Fallout 4 addictive but not fun. Its universe makes me feel uncomfortable. Dirty. I hate the radiation mechanic more than anything--especially because those annoying clicks often come up when I can't see any reason for it. That's part of the world, I guess--everything is so poisoned that sometimes you just start taking rads because screw you, you live in a wasteland. I don't like killing human raiders instead of orcs, or injecting myself with chemicals instead of drinking potions. I don't like role-playing the real world.

Yes, I know, Fallout isn't the real world. Its timeline diverged from the real world sometime after World War II. Somehow they got complex artificial intelligence without a microprocessor, fusion reactors but no flat-screen televisions, drugs that improve physical and mental performance but no wireless technology beyond the radio. The bombs fell in 2077 after a war with China and humanity has become a scavenging society. Somehow, 200 years later, pre-war packaged food is still both widely available and still good to eat. People wear pre-war clothes and use pre-war toilets; except for a few nods to agriculture, no one seems to have built or made anything new. I'm not sure whether we're supposed to regard all weapons and ammunition as all pre-war (New Vegas and the other games seem to diverge on this point), but either way there's plenty of them.

What's insidious about the Fallout universe is that the pre-war world was in some ways much worse than the post-war world. You piece this together mostly through the pre-war logs kept on computer terminals. Vault-Tec sold safety to its customers but then scheduled each vault for some cruel physical or psychological experiment. (The mystery remains: To what end? Since vaults wouldn't be populated except in the case of a nuclear war, what did they hope to do with the results when civilization no longer remained?) Every business seems to have been actively defrauding both the public and the government while subjecting its own employees to armed security robots and machine gun turrets. Employees were consumed with petty inter-office rivalries and extramarital affairs. The government was full of incompetent, immoral megalomaniacs. Store robots gunned down shoplifters. Corporations and governments experimented on unwilling human subjects. Hazardous waste was dumped everywhere from reservoirs to random basements. Desks of random businesses, even schools, were full of weapons and ammunition. And on top of all this corruption, everything had a shiny, smiley, patriotic, self-consciously polite veneer.

Yes, I know: hurr, durr, how is that different from the real world? While of course I see analogs--caricaturization of the real world is really Fallout's entire raison d'etre--I'm not quite that cynical. We have lots of bad but we also have lots of good; Fallout's pre-war world seems to be all bad. "This civilization deserved nuclear apocalypse," the game wants us to believe.

Not that the post-war world is any better. "War...war never changes," we hear repeatedly, but what the game really seems to believe is that governments and people never change. Every time more than 6 people come together, corruption seems to follow. None of the major factions is unequivocally "good." The Brotherhood of Steel, with its knights and paladins, sounds like an organization concerned with justice and protection--until you get to know them and find out that they just care about the preservation of technology. The Enclave represents the worst of the pre-war government. The New California Republic sounds like a good thing, but at times it seems more interested in control than justice, and its president is a total jerk. Even the Minutemen, the supposed heroes of Fallout 4, seem to have more deserters than dedicated soldiers.

Every time you run across some bastion of civilization, like a small city, it almost always turns out to have a dark secret, a dictatorial government, or a sharp divide between rich and poor--sometimes all three. If the city in question seems too clean or the people too well-dressed, you might as well start shooting them right away. They're cannibals or Terminators or something worse.

Of course, Fallout 4 lets you set up your own communities--little agrarian plots of 2, 5, 20 people who work in harmony. Such small societies seem to be the only ones worth saving in the Fallout games. The only good government is small government; the only bonds you can trust are familial ones. And everyone has a gun. A libertarian paradise? Maybe, but I'm the unequivocal master of all of these little communes. I have the sole, unchallenged right to decide everything from the physical layout to where people sleep to what clothes they wear to what jobs they do. I can force them to give me all their stuff. I can send people from one place to another at my whim. Displease me, and you'll be the sole resident of some inner-city ghetto with a single stalk of corn. People rise and sleep under the protection of the turrets I've built. I'm basically Chairman Mao. (That a game with such a mechanic is set in "The Commonwealth" is surely no accident.) And yet these places are only viable societies in the landscape. People flock to them when they hear my radio beacon.

(Spoilers after this point for Fallout 3 and beyond.)

I haven't played Fallout or Fallout 2, so my only experience has been with the last three games, but its notable how little progress gets made. "Victory" in Fallout 3 means a relatively small area has somewhat cleaner water. Fallout: New Vegas has a number of potential endings, but all they really come down to is one faction--none of whom are particularly better than the others--controlling New Vegas. Even if you kill the leaders of the major factions, nothing really changes. I don't know how Fallout 4 is going to end, but at best it feels like it's going to solve a personal mystery for my character and not necessarily make the Commonwealth a better world. In fact, note that the instigating event of all three games is personal--in sharp contrast to most RPGs where an external threat precedes the rise of the Hero. In the Fallout world, the protagonist isn't "called upon" to save the world--he injects himself into a world that, for good or ill, is already humming along.

So what is Fallout's real philosophy? Libertarianism? Socialism? Benevolent authoritarianism? No underlying philosophy at all except the world sucks and only the individual matters? (I guess that would be anarchism.) I'm not sure, but all of them run contrary to my own beliefs and make playing Fallout vaguely uncomfortable. Never before have I run across a game series that fills me with this palpable background angst even as I enjoy some of the game mechanics.

I don't know if civilization as we know it will some day end in fire. I had a middle school teacher--who in retrospect should have been institutionalized--who seemed sure of it. "Simple math," he called it: now that humanity has the capability to destroy itself, every year there is a small but non-zero probability that it will do so, and the cumulative probability eventually reaches 100%. Even if he's right, and 90% of the world dies in a nuclear war, I like to think the remaining 10% will come together, vow to learn from past mistakes, and rebuild. If 200 years later, they're fending off raiders, trading in bottle caps, and eating Cheetos and Spam, I'm going to be awfully disappointed.

A few more thoughts on Fallout 4 aside from the topical theme:

1. It's a good game, probably better than Fallout 3, but in everything but graphics, it falls short of New Vegas. I don't understand why Bethesda can't get that players want complex role-playing choices, multiple quest paths, and deep faction immersion. You'd think of all of the stuff that goes into developing an open-world video game, these things would be the easiest to do well.

2. On the subject of graphics, I've been reading a lot of postings that opine that they "suck" because Bethesda is still using blah-blah-blah technology instead of upgrading to yadda-yadda-yadda technology featured in Go Screw Yourself: You Nitpicking Jackass. People posting this kind of nonsense have a memory of about 2 years. To all readers: if Fallout 4's graphics aren't good enough for you, I'm not even sure what you're doing on my blog.

3. I did something I rarely do and gave my character my real name, which is not all that uncommon. I nearly fell out of my chair when my little house robot addressed me, in the spoken dialogue, by my actual name. Apparently, the programmers recorded audio for around a thousand common names. Unfortunately, they only did it for this one character, and the rest of the game hasn't even referenced my name in text.

4. The economy is the most broken of any Fallout game I've played so far. I literally cannot think of a single thing to buy except some of the upgrades to my little communes that cost money. Ammunition and stimpaks are both far too plentiful. Drugs are everywhere. I have like 80 shots of jet, 150 of Rad-X.

5. But maybe #4 is a consequence of the way I play. Since you can't repack ammo like in New Vegas, I feel like I have to carry around a weapon for every potential type of ammo. I suppose a better approach would be to favor a smaller set of weapons, sell unneeded ammo of other types, and buy the ammo you really want.

6. Aluminum! Adhesive! Oil! Screws!

7. Because of #5 and #6, I spend almost the entire game on the edge of being over-encumbered. I've invested in several related perks and strength, but even after returning to a workbench and unloading all the junk, I have maybe 25 pounds free.

8. Partly because of #7, I need all the strength I can get. I thus walk around in a Grognak costume that makes me look half-naked.

9. I like that there's no level cap. I'm otherwise ambivalent about the changes to the skill and perks system. I tend to alternate between giving myself an extra point in one of the SPECIAL variables and one of the skills.

10. While I can understand the appeal of the occasional Piper, I'm more of a Cait man. Not that the game actually makes you choose. I started the game with low charisma but managed to get into a romance with Cait by eating some grape mentats. Is it immoral if you roofie yourself?

Yes, Fallout 4 is responsible for my not having posted on my regular list since Sunday. I'm working on a second Disciples of Steel outing now, probably for posting this coming Sunday. To avoid spoilers for both Fallout 4 and Star Wars, I'm probably going to be staying off the Internet until then.
:whatho:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
CRPGAddict's Bethesda game addiction-proneness is well-documented. Happened 4 years ago with Skyrim too.

P.S. I see that the ninny has given up on playing Martian Dreams for now, not before making a few lame complaints about it. Hopefully he does come back to it later.

Last edited:
I still don't forgive him for badmouthing Rance in a poorly researched sjwish article (as shitty as the original Rance 1 is).

Leitz

Learned
So the definition of hardcore is to have played Fallout 1 and 2?
Yes, if you call yourself CRPGAddict and make long blog posts about the Fallout series and you want to be called hardcore by random faggots you should have played Fallout 1 and 2.

Courtier

Prophet
He has finished Wizardry 1-3 and ascended in Nethack. I don't care if this guy is a normalfag, has retarded opinions, is developing a case of unwarranted self importance or writes entire articles about muh soggy knee. He's made a routine out of beating arcane blobbers and assorted RPGs that most people wouldn't be able to stomach, much less complete. That's more than I can say about the faggots I've seen mouthing off here.

It's like finding out your old prudish uncle plays more videogames than you do.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
I had a bit of time and begun wondering how CRPG Addict scores compares to the Codex top 70 list.

Here we go then -

Planescape: Torment. Well. Really. He has not played it yet. What a loser.

Fallout 1. Ho, hum. Not listed on his list. Maybe he should take out the "RPG" bit from his name right.

Fallout 2. No sign.

Here we go then. Further and further down the rabbit hole. Not listed. Not listed, Keep going.

Finally,

32 Wizardry VI: Bane of the Cosmic Forge. He rated it 106th out of the 119 games he played thus far. And said:

"The final score of 53 is much higher than I gave its predecessors, influenced by the much better approach to the story and NPCs, and the slightly better approach to magic and combat. It's a good game, and if I sometimes seemed less than enthusiastic during my posts, it's because Bradley rubbed me the wrong way in the game materials and continued to rub me the wrong way (at this point that phrase becomes unfortunate) with his frequent invitations to look at those bazoombas"

So what. I have come to a conclusion.

1. Gaming did not start in 1997 with Fallout 1. A lot of you are a bunch of total losers going on AND ON AND ON AND ON about the Bee Gees 1 and 2 and the Fallouts ad nauseam. Comparing every game that is published to the holy shitty trinity of FallGateScape.

2. How did you lot ever place Alpha bug turd Protocrap above real damn classics like Ultima IV, Wasteland 1 and Ultima Underworld.

3. The first game I can really remember from Addicts timeline properly is Hack (1984) - and that was probably better than many of the games listed in the All Time list.

Finally - I now understand that when I ask for game recommendations a bunch of guys go on about games I never heard off. Including Dark Souls. This is because too many of you are consoleturded. You should be ashamed of yourselves as consoles killed RPGs. So far, and in my opinion, the only "RPG" that is allowed to cross over to PC platform is Final Fantasy 7. I have not played most of the others as because I said already - they exist on crappy consoles first.

Consoles killed the RPG. Look what happened with Oblivion and Fallout 4. There is no place to read or think.

Even jRPG like Retgear Shopping or Trials in the Sky can't clean FF7 shoes.

Viva and hail the Addict. The Codex needs to re-evaluate and drop this love affair with the holy trinity.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom