Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CRPGAddict

Morkar Left

DHoU is technically not inferior than RoA1, it's just a more focused game.

Well, I guess there are some of the *very* early RPGs that don't really offer much nowadays because the late 80's and early 90's games surpass them at every aspect.

But he's already beyond these games. Here and there they will still show up but we are far beyond the limitations of the early to mid 80's. And even there games like Starflight feel in no way old except the gfx compared to RoA1 for example. The big step will come again by reaching iso games like Fallout.

Btw Mother Russia you should really play Starflight when you haven't already.

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar
Thanks for pointing out this blog. I've really enjoyed reading it, and I especially like the videos like this bad boy:

It illustrates so many good little features of the games that you would never know about if you didn't play them in depth. For example, I really like that the dwarf gets seasick on the boat and can't sleep, repair, or do anything productive. It's also fun to see how obnoxious and opaque the mushroom system is until you figure out (and make note of) what everything does.

Great blog.

Just taking this opportunity for shameless self-promotion and raising my posts count..... and whipping this out again: :smug:

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I loved Ultimas 3-5, and wish that I had known about Magic Candle back when it had come out. The little I tried of it recently has me very interested, but I have to knock out the Might and Magic series first. Well MM 2-8, as I already beat the first one and have no intention of playing 9.

TheNizzo

Educated
some tasks in magic candle are a big pain but i love having multiple parties doing their thing and wish more games did that sort of thing

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
He's playing Quest for Glory now.

Also, he played through Dark Heart of Uukrul and nobody posted about it. Crooked Bee :eek:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
We need a blog like his for just goddamn every genre. I know there was an Ultima one. It was interesting.

DaveO

Erudite
There is Pix's Origin Adventures where he blogged about playing every Origin game. It's still active, but mostly for scanning reviews of the games he completed.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
CRPG Addict likes Wilderness Campaign. Tremendous :incline: of the interwebz results.

The GIMLET's not very representative, as usual for early games, but the piece itself is pretty interesting to read, though it's kinda hard to tell how long it took him to beat the game all in all (if he gave a number of hours I missed it).

Also, if any of you fuckers call yourself "old-schoolers" but have never given this a whirl, do so. It was a pretty revolutionary game, especially when you realize it came out in the seventies. I'm also pretty sure that the good folks at SSG had played this when they thought of Warlords (and Addict seems to agree). I don't really think there's anything like it though.

dragonbait

Augur
CRPG Addict likes Wilderness Campaign. Tremendous :incline: of the interwebz results.

The GIMLET's not very representative, as usual for early games, but the piece itself is pretty interesting to read, though it's kinda hard to tell how long it took him to beat the game all in all (if he gave a number of hours I missed it).

Also, if any of you fuckers call yourself "old-schoolers" but have never given this a whirl, do so. It was a pretty revolutionary game, especially when you realize it came out in the seventies. I'm also pretty sure that the good folks at SSG had played this when they thought of Warlords (and Addict seems to agree). I don't really think there's anything like it though.

Wow. this was before I started playing crpgs, but for those kids that actually had computers in the late 70's, I can imagine parents of the era yelling at their kids "Shut that damn computer off and get to bed! You have school tomorrow!" and "Just 5 more minutes mom!"

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Thanks to CRPG Addict we can finally settle once and for all the question of which game first introduced regenerating health and ushered the decline of the FPS genre: Dungeons of Daggorath, from 1982. Once again CRPGs are to blame for everything that's wrong with other genres.

More seriously, I've never played or even seen the game since it came out exclusively for the TRS-80, a system I never had (and I don't think any of my friends at the time did either). It may well be the first real first person action RPG, and it's full of interesting mechanics that could make for a great survival/horror action RPG if they were used nowadays. The post is a pretty good read, recommended.

Old Hans

Arcane
man Dungeons of Daggorath takes me back! That was maybe my first rpg. It consisted of basically wandering around like a clueless dope and furiously typing ATTACK LEFT ATTACK LEFT ATTACK LEFT

TigerKnee

Arcane
So are they any upcoming RPGs that he's going to play with tits in them?

I want to see him freak out and write a huge essay on how rape is evil again and how he's totally not a prude.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
So are they any upcoming RPGs that he's going to play with tits in them?

I want to see him freak out and write a huge essay on how rape is evil again and how he's totally not a prude.

I thought he might get tripped up by Knights of Xentar, but that's not on his list. Too bad. It's not a bad RPG. The Rance series is completely out now. So it looks like Elvira is the closest thing we'll get to tatas.

On the other hand, he does have Princess Maker 2 on his list. He may not come out entirely mentally unscathed.

Last edited:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
So it looks like Elvira is the closest thing we'll get to tatas.
Daggerfall :smug:

Considering how much Wiz 6 scarred him, he may actually abandon DF when he gets to a Temple of Dibella.

And then of course there's Battlespire and its high-resolution titties...

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So it looks like Elvira is the closest thing we'll get to tatas.
Daggerfall :smug:

Considering how much Wiz 6 scarred him, he may actually abandon DF when he gets to a Temple of Dibella.

And then of course there's Battlespire and its high-resolution titties...

Funny thing is that on the Bethsoft forums "we are not allowed to talk about that".

I never understood what was so scary about those titties in Wiz 6 either, although most of the commentors on the blog seemed to agree with the Addict. To me topless AmaZulu women, mermaids and succubi feels more natural and "honest", and less "speculative" or "exploitive" than the oh so cliched chain mail bikinis. And I didn't even notice that the Fairies were naked before the CRPG repeatedly pointed it out. But then I'm not American, and back in the summer of 1990 the local beach was filled with topless girls (those were the days...), so I certainly didn't need pixelated nudity.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Haven't played U6 yet since I want to work my way up from U4 (which I have almost finished now). I think its interesting how much the Addict loves the interface considering how much Spoony hated it, which got me a little 'scared' of U6. So who is right on this?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Haven't played U6 yet since I want to work my way up from U4 (which I have almost finished now). I think its interesting how much the Addict loves the interface considering how much Spoony hated it, which got me a little 'scared' of U6. So who is right on this?

Well, it depends. I would say that Spoony is right, but CRPGAddict's impressions are colored by the fact that he's been playing very old RPGs. He's seeing things in the historical context, you could say. U6's interface is unwieldy, but the things that it allowed you to do were revolutionary at the time it was released.

You've been playing old RPGs too, so maybe you'll agree with him, or maybe not.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
The interface is terribad, clearly designed for degenerate mouse users. This shit was the console/tablet interface of the early 90's.

It introduces paperdolls, though. So that's cool.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom