Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Criticisms, observations, suggestions (NO BUTTHURT BITCHING)

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
\o/ I tend to skip stuff that isn't immediately available. Tired of reading about early access shit.

Are you being obtuse on purpose or are you seriously THIS retarded?

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
How about - I hit escape and it closes the current window. Is that too much?

Maybe, just maybe, I hit escape at the main window and I get a save/load/exit window, like 99% of the games out there.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
It would be sweet if instead of having to choose between bars and numbers for displaying vitality etc. there was a view that showed the numbers on top of the bars.

Also, resting doesn't seem to automatically end when everyone is 100%? That would be a nice option to have.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Maybe, just maybe, I hit escape at the main window and I get a save/load/exit window, like 99% of the games out there.
Well Grimoire is going for that 1%!Everyone likes to be in the 1%!

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut

Well Grimoire is going for that 1%!Everyone likes to be in the 1%!
Acutally, I'm very happy that Cleve is taking feedback and making improvements, so someone must have asked, and he lsitened:

Grimoire 1.2.0.22 Update
Version 1.2.0.22
----------------------------------------

Morraha now wanders Kublai Cathedral after initial encounter to provide a way to get the password to the palace.

Interface fixes.

Wandering encounter adjustments.

ESCAPE key exits most dialogue windows now.

Seems small, but just one little thing that makes a difference.

Darkforge

Augur
* All this talk about preferable hotkeys, can we not just get a keybind customise system even if it's just a .ini? There are way more efficient ways to go about this some of the choices he has made are retarded here.

* Sound effect looping. Way to frequent. Rude Chaps anyone?

* Balance in general just seems a bit all over the place, with lots of half or unimplemented features.

The fact that's all that comes to mind right now is testament to the fact the games pretty good.

mwnn85

Savant
Someone describe the combat.
Fairly routine for this type of game really; can a bit like getting kicked in the balls repeatedly depending on the random encounters generated.
I suppose that's true of any Dungeon Crawler.

I find the character generation a bit limiting there's only a few viable combinations.
Certain races are excel at one particular class and get bonus points. Others don't and hence are shit. And you do want the choice of where to spend the bonus points.
Some of the creature sound fx tend to grate after a while.
Condition effects applied frequently by even basic enemies especially disease + paralyzation.
Hard to deal with that unless you start in the Shrine and backtrack.

Miss the formation system from Wizardry 8 but that was a 3D game.
We've got ranks and reach weapons but it's a simpler approach.
I don't think it's possible to be flanked for example.
Every battle I've seen is done with your front row facing the enemy.

Miss Wizardry 8's inter party banter and situational voiceovers the most - that's one of the best parts of Jagged Alliance 2 as well.
Rather see separate character inventories over the shared party bar - it's a bit cumbersome.
Using items in combat needs refinement i.e. instant tooltips when floating over an item.

Everything else seems to match or exceed Wizardry or will in time.
Be quite nice to see those games remade on the Grimoire engine.

Brood_Star

Novice
So far, all reports I've seen have concurred that attributes have almost no effect. I imagine if you went with a party of 20 str chars against a party of 99, there'd be very little meaningful difference. The only one that seems to truly matter is speed to determine whether you act before the enemy, which brings me to another point:

Combat is simply kill or be killed. I truly feel you're *forced* to abuse mechanics like sleep/deep freeze/lethal blow/etc because there's no real tactical combat. Enemies will nuke your shit; even ignoring bosses, there are annoying enemies that will just kill your equipment, or drain your vitality, or disease you. Some perks (i.e. hide+backstab) are truly underwhelming, others, simply not functioning at the moment.

The game has excellent dungeon crawling and whatnot, but I'd say combat isn't one of its strengths. The fact that Cleve keeps dodging around the question of a manual or what each attribute does to repeated questioning in Steam forums when it would take about 1 minute to type up (you can probably provide at least 5 posts of "see beginner guides for tips as to what the attributes do") leads me to believe that there's a giant elephant in the room that no one's acknowledging, and that is the combat isn't really there right now.

mwnn85

Savant
I've read that attributes in Wizardry 6/7 didn't have much effect either.
They were just prerequisites for switching classes with minor buffs to damage, mana regen - if you hit a certain number i.e. 16 or 18.
SPD and DEX were most important as they determined the number of attacks, initiative, AC buff.
Wizardry 8 added some special perks for hitting 100 in an attribute.

I don't really see how anyone could implement tactical combat in a dungeon crawler without switching to grid/hex based combat i.e. Realms of Arkania
Not much you can do when enemies just attack in rows.
At the very least you'd need grappling, denial of ranged attacks, spell interrupts, etc.

Generally I prefer isometric games (ToEE, Fallout, Knights of the Chalice) over old tile based dungeon crawlers.
And I think the mechanics of D&D 3.5 are better designed than Wizardry with it's class switching antics.
Funnily enough I don't have any issue with Wasteland that's got plenty of melee & ranged combat plus free movement - so it's not about age.

Just out of interest has anyone solved the mystery of the ENGINE in the Museum. It is just a cruel time wasting gimmick or does it feature in the plot later on?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
ust out of interest has anyone solved the mystery of the ENGINE in the Museum. It is just a cruel time wasting gimmick or does it feature in the plot later on?

Yes and yes. It's one of the hardest puzzles overall, I would say. There are 4-5 steps to it and solving that machine puzzle is just one step of the bigger puzzle.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom