Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Corven: Path of Redemption - reboot of cancelled Ultima IX fan game

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Looks like a nature asset pack presentation video, not a game trailer. With a bad walking animation.

Drowed

Arcane
Well, yeah, looks good and somewhat generic. But there's no "game" in this trailer, it's literally just a walking simulator.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is what happened to the Ultima IX: Redemption project: http://ultimacodex.com/2016/12/tita...of-redemption-being-built-with-unreal-engine/

Titans of Ether: Ultima IX: Redemption Cancelled; Corven – Path of Redemption Being Built with Unreal Engine

The Titans of Ether, after months of inactivity on Ultima IX: Redemption, have formally cancelled that remake of Ultima 9 (confirming what a few have suspected over the last little while):

When we started UIX there was no option for us to use a real engine and only a few mod tools were powerful enough to at least create a “total conversion” of the game they came with. We chose the Morrowind Construction Set, but even though it was the most powerful at the time it still had extreme limitations. Even with openMW, which would have been an option now, it would not have been possible to create the game I really wanted to create.

It is not too crazy difficult (but still a lot of work) to create a “new” game with a mod tool if you only want to create a new narrative but don’t care to change much on the mechanics / features of the game. Others have done it and I sincerely congratulate them on their achievement BUT this was never my goal. I wanted to create the optimal new Ultima and it was not possible. Even if we finished UIX I would never have been happy with it because it was impossible to create the typical features that made Ultima what it is (in my opinion). Especially the ISO view or the level of world interaction was not possible with the CS.​

However, in abandoning the remake project, they’ve instead been able to devote their efforts to creating a brand new game using the Unreal Engine:

Corven has been in development since May 2016. At first, in April, I worked with Unity, but ultimately I decided to use the Unreal Engine 4 for several reasons which are not important right now in this blog entry. Zini, joined me in this endeavor.

Because of the wonderful tool that UE4 is, we are in many ways further along with Corven after 8 months, than we were with UIX after 12 years. The goal is to release Corven around December 2018.

Corven – Path of Redemption is NOT the story of UIX – Redemption. In many ways it’s based on the story I had in mind for UX – The New King but adapted for a new IP, not tied to the Ultima franchise, for obvious reasons.​

Modders gonna mod.

Some posts from the comments, including one from our own taxalot:

Honestly I would not continue to advertise this new project on the Codex after such a betrayal. UIX Redemption was chosen as the Ultima-fan project of the year several times here on the Codex simply for him to cancel the entire game while announcing BIG NEWS for his fans, a lot of which were patiently waiting for the project to release for many years.

I don’t see anything wrong with another RPG (as if the industry is not already stuffed with thousands of them), but he could tell they are going to cancel it a while back, not announcing big reveal just to let everybody know the project is dead.

Redemption was a bad idea from the beginning in my book. I have no interest in a fanfic replacement of U9. I know fans hate all the inconsistencies and changes U9 brought in relation with previous games, but you think a fanfic would be more “authentic”? Please. They should have made it either an adaptation of the Bob White plot, a fixed version of the final plot, or an original game from the beginning. Making it a wholly original fanmade story to replace an already existing game in the series with no basis on the official U9 or input from any of the Origin members always struck me as too pompous.

taxalot said:
Somebody tried to make an interation of Ultima IX with the Bob White plot. The Ultima IX redemption project actually is a split of a disagreement about the directions where that project was supposed to be headed.

Now that the Bob White design docs have been out, it seems the general consensus appears that it wouldn’t have made such a great game. I still disagree, to this day. Some plot things (“The Ultimas”) sounded very off, but they could be fixed. The linearity could easily be worked, and we had a design that improved a lot on that issue.

But it was not meant to be. Good luck to the Corvus team on their next endeavors.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Oh, yeah, that figures. It's the default animation for UE4's mannequin. It's not suited for humans, it's made for robots.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.titansofether.com/new-team-members/

New team members, future news and a little something for Ultima fans

I wanted to create the prototype with as few people as possible to avoid any complications that come from managing a team. Now that we go into full production mode our team grows as planned. I am happy to announce our 2 newest members:
  • Patrig “Sicabol” Droumaguet will compose music for us. He is hard at work already and as soon as there are results I will post them for you.
  • Daniel Kiechl has gathered quite some experience with the Unreal Engine and will be helping with quest implementation and with testing
I am very very happy about our 2 new guys!

Over the next few months you will first get a few landscape updates and then game feature updates. First features will be the quest system, dialogue system and inventory system. Stay tuned!

Ultima fans might remember the early Ultima 9 screenshots, back when U9 was still planned as an ISO game. I recreated a scene from one of those shots (minus the Avatar and the pigs). Maybe you enjoy it:

Original early U9 screenshot:

recreation in Corven:

U9_forest.jpg

Corv

Lycantic
Developer
Oh, yeah, that figures. It's the default animation for UE4's mannequin. It's not suited for humans, it's made for robots.
Nope it's from a motion cap animation pack. There is sneaking and running too, but not shown. The problem is the model itself, not the animation It's a placeholder.

Corv

Lycantic
Developer
Looks like a nature asset pack presentation video, not a game trailer. With a bad walking animation.
It's the prototype. Dialogue system and object interaction are also implemented and btw: no asset untouched to create a streamlined look (textures, colors etc...). I see many projects just using assets as they come and it looks thrown together. There is a lot of work in what you see in the video, but of course it's also easy to dismiss in a sentence. Future videos will show more gameplay, we are at the beginning of the project.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Nope it's from a motion cap animation pack.
From what animation pack? Don't tell me it's from Kubold's movement animset. If it is, you set up the blendspace somehow incorrectly to make it look this bad.
If you're using their standard blendspace, consider using WalkForward 0.70 for normal walking.

Dialogue system and object interaction are also implemented
Most likely the dialogue system is a marketplace solution, so takes about half an hour to set it up. (and if it's not a marketplace solution, it should be)
Object interaction is just an interface class and a linetrace, which is one more hour of work if you never did this before.

Your prototype is 2 hours of coding, and tens of hours of asset triage and tweaking. It should be the other way around.

Last edited:

Corv

Lycantic
Developer
Nope it's from a motion cap animation pack.
From what animation pack? Don't tell me it's from Kubold's movement animset. If it is, you set up the locomotion somehow incorrectly to make it look this bad.

Dialogue system and object interaction are also implemented
Most likely the dialogue system is a marketplace solution, so takes about half an hour to set it up. (and if it's not a marketplace solution, it should be)
Object interaction is just an interface class and a linetrace, which is one more hour of work if you never did this before.

Your prototype is 2 hours of coding, and tens of hours of asset triage and tweaking. It should be the other way around.

Wow, getting a little hateful there hm?

The pack by motion capture online, the Kubold animations looked like he pooped his pants.

No, not a single line of code is from a store solution.

Everything we did so far took 6 hours work every day for two people for 5 months if you want to know. No triage, very detailled work. But I am sure you can judge everything way better from where you are stitting. Thanks for you interest.

Corv

Lycantic
Developer
Actually, I was trying to help.

Everything we did so far took 6 hours work every day for two people for 5 months if you want to know.
Ok, so see you in 20 years.
Got a message saying that you are the local troll, not to be taken serious, but I wonder could you link your releases so we can learn from you?

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Actually, I was trying to help.

Everything we did so far took 6 hours work every day for two people for 5 months if you want to know.
Ok, so see you in 20 years.
Got a message saying that you are the local troll, not to be taken serious, but I wonder could you link your releases so we can learn from you?
After all this heavyweight hardcore trolling, my life would clearly be in danger if I revealed my games and identity.

Jazz_

Arcane
That octopus swimming in what appears to be a lake broke my immersion. Joking aside, looks very good but as someone else pointed out the artstyle seems a bit too generic.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://ultimacodex.com/2017/01/tita...on-landscape-story-and-music-assets-released/

Titans of Ether: Ultima IX Redemption Landscape, Story, and Music Assets Released
BY WTF DRAGON · JANUARY 10, 2017

u9redemption-BritainCS-1024x576.jpg

The Titans of Ether have released a large archive of assets from the now-cancelled Ultima IX: Redemption remake project:

This is the release of a Morrowind mod the team did before Corven. So for all of you who are here for “Corven – Path of Redemption”, don’t be confused, this is not part of that game and it has nothing to do with the Unreal Engine. You can ignore this post without missing anything.

For all of you who ARE here because of the Morrowind mod UIX Redemption:

This is the 1,8 GB file with all of Britannia, all our models, all our music, the story file and a readme with instructions.

I also left the game start in (gypsy character creation and starting quest) and a few other NPCs and features. Nothing more, nothing less. It’s everything anyone needs to continue UIX development or create your own Ultima in Morrowind. If you do not try to create features Morrowind did not have you will have no problem finishing the game within a year. Everything beyond that is deleted because it would confuse most people (half implemented features/quests or features only present in the CS but not in the game…).

This however IS the promised landscape release and more!

You can use all our files without further permission. Continue to create UIX, use them in your own mod, whatever you like. This is our present to you. (more about the files in the readme).​

Accompanying this, they’ve also published a lengthy explanation of the troubled history of the project, and the considerations that informed the decision to cancel it in favour of working on Corven – Path of Redemption. It’s far too lengthy and detailed to excerpt here, so I’ll suggest that you click on through and give it a read for yourself.

I’ve finally updated the Ultima IX: Redemption project entry to reflect the project’s cancellation. A link to the asset download can be found there, although at present this just points to the Titans of Ether website. I’ll add a proper mirror of their download to the Codex when I can, hopefully this evening.

http://www.titansofether.com/uix/

Also for those who are interested, here is the history of the mod, the reason why we cancelled it and why we started with something new, in 3 parts:

Part 1: History

In 2004 I started my own Ultima fan project called “Ultima X – The New King”. Back then there were no full “free” game engines like Unity, all there was for people like me were mod tools some games provided. Mod tools are NOT as powerful as full game engines. You can only modify the files of the original game the tool came with and you have varying access to core game mechanics. In general however doing anything the original game did not deliver was (almost) not possible.

I looked at some games and found the Morrowind Construction Set (MW CS) to be the most powerful at the time, because at least I was able to script some sort of interactive items. I created the “Ultimate Ranger Mod” with it and decided to use it for my real project, Ultima X.

Shortly after I started I noticed that there was another Ultima project, called Ultima IX Redemption, also using the MW CS.

I thought, why not combine forces and work together on a common goal, new Ultima games. My first idea was to simply share know-how and maybe some scripts to help each other get Ultima IX and X done faster, but after I talked to them I quickly realized that they were in big trouble.

I will make this part as short as possible, but here is a summary of what Direhaggis and Chlortos Dragon told me in our first online meetings. I cannot confirm that this is exactly what happened, but this is exactly what I have been told by them:

After working with other engines they moved to MW CS and started anew. They made some good progress, but Avatus Kingsman, the team leader back then, was suddenly gone and no contact was possible anymore from one day to the other. Even worse: at the same time he disappeared he also deleted all their files. They managed to collect some files from various members, but it was far from what they actually had before. When I contacted them they were in the process of getting back on their feet, but it was extremely difficult for them, understandably.

We agreed to merge our teams, call ourselves “Titans of Ether” and work on Ultima IX first because there was already some work done, like the basic landscape and some dialogue etc…

However once I got the files I saw that the MW CS master file (the game file) was damaged and not really usable and I had to start over and create a new basic Britannia in it. So all we really had from the old Redemption team were dialogue files, a few concept art drawings and a nice banner. I decided we work on Redemption first anyway.

However only ONE active member of the old team actually made the jump to the new team: Direhaggis.

All in all, it is fair to say that we started completely new with UIX Redemption.

Part 2: So what were the problems with UIX Redemption’s development?
  • First of all, like mentioned above, we started new. So everyone who thinks we just continued a project which was already going on for several years is wrong.

• In all the years of development there were only 2 people who were constantly there, Direhaggis and Zini… (and me). Yes we had many contributors, but always just for a short period of time and it is extremely difficult to keep a steady workflow up when people constantly leave and you have to start new with another person.

• We were ambitious and MW CS is just a mod tool, not a real engine. We didn’t just want to create a mod like so many other fan projects, where we put a new storyline in the untouched framework of the game the mod tool came with. If we would have done it this way I can honestly say that UIX Redemption would have been done in 2006.

But we wanted to create real Ultima gameplay… in Morrowind, which is a very static game compared to Ultima VI or VII. However creating item interaction etc is very difficult in a game that was not made for it and creating things like movable objects not possible at all. I could list many features that were difficult or not possible, but the 2 examples will have to do. Because the MW CS is not only just a mod tool, but a very very “difficult” one to use as well, every feature that Morrowind did not have and we created on our own, was not a matter of a few weeks of development but months. There were so many hurdles along the way.

Now some cynical folks might ask (well one actually did) “why did you not plan this better and use a tool that would allow you to do what you wanted to do?” and my answer to that is: First of all, this was not a professional project in any way shape or form, this was, from the start, a project of some fans that wanted to create something in their spare time that they liked. There was no business plan for the love of god. Even more important: for a private fan project there was NO tool available beside those mod tools. Licensing a commercial engine back then was something only companies could afford. And anyway, paying for a commercial engine for a project that can never be a commercial one because we do not own the IP (Electronic Arts does), is pure stupidity. So dear cynical fellow: be real, thanks. So we just took the one that looked the best (MW CS) and started.

• It was just a fun project on the side. Nobody involved ever earned a penny with it. We did it because we love Ultima. But after the first 2 extremely productive years we lost our drive. Constantly having to deal with members leaving and things not working in MW CS was extremely frustrating. About the leaving members: I blame not one of them. It was a LOT of work without any reward (beside my “well done”). Even the fans did not have the patience to be on the forum anymore and give words of encouragement, the only real currency we would have been allowed to accept. Put yourself in those shoes, a lot of frustrating work without payment in your little spare time. Doesn’t sound so great I guess. But DH, Zini and me didn’t want to just give up, so we kept working whenever we could. After a while getting people (well Ultima fans) who are familiar with or willing to work in MW CS could not be found anymore. So we did what we could. But progress with this tool (MW CS) that seems to work against you, not with and for you, was very slow. Zini even started to work on openMW, an amazing project that tries to create an engine which can run Morrowind files. OpenMW would in the end allow us to do what we could not do in MW CS, but it took (and still takes) time to develop. We worked on UIX on and off till 2015. But we all have families, careers and lives outside of a non-profit project that requires a lot of time to get any little thing done.
Part 3: And now?

Then came Unity, a real game engine, affordable by folks like us. Unity started the trend and Unreal Engine 4, Cryengine,… continued it. Testing Unity was the nail in the coffin of UIX Redemption in MW CS. Seeing that you can do something in a day in Unity which would have taken weeks or even months in MW CS was enlightening and frustrating at the same time. It was clear that continuing to work on UIX in MW CS was no option anymore. We would just have fooled ourselves. OpenMW was still not done, we all won’t get younger and so we had to decide: start Redemption, a project that was not ours from the start, a game which we do not own the IP of, new OR finally actually create our own game without any creative or technical restrictions.

We decided to plan out the development of a new game which is roughly based on “The New King”, the game we actually wanted to develop back in 2004. We won’t just do this a little on the side like UIX, but we planned out how to consistently use spare time to work on it and in the near future hopefully work on it exclusively. I am telling the truth when I tell you that since we started I worked every day at least from 9 pm till 1 am and more often than not from 7 pm till 2 am. We all collected a lot of experience over the years. MW CS was the toughest school you can imagine and in our professional lives we learned planning as a CIO, how to program a new game engine, how to write by writing a published book etc. (just a few accomplishments of our team members). So we started to create “Corven – Path of Redemption”, our own IP but with the soul of Richard Garriot’s Ultima series.

Please follow us on this new path. If you are an Ultima fan you won’t regret it. If you are a single-player RPG fan who loves good stories you won’t get bored either.

taxalot

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Here goes nothing.

Before all, do not misinterpret the following post. This is NOT an attempt at saying "You know, I'm the guy behind it all.". I was a bit saddened not to see mention of 'that thing I worked on', but one could say from the point of the view of the narrative exposed it makes sense not to mention it. Still, since the "history of Ultima IX redemption" is mentioned, would not it be nice to get the entire story out there ?

The root of Ultima IX : Redemption starts around 15 years ago (a bit more, I was still in high school). You can actually pretty much time it to the release of Ultima IX. I think the entire idea started a few days after Ultima IX got released, and just a few days before my copy arrived in the mail.

Back then, it was pretty clear that Ultima IX was not going to be the game Ultima fans hoped for, even before release. The game development was chaotic. It was clear it had gone through several rewrites and the Ultima commmunity, which was mostly hanging out on usenet (rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons) was on fire. A couple of days after release, Bob White leaked a synopsis of the game that wasn't. It was just a text file, a long post he wrote summing up the story as it was once was intended. It shared common points with the final product, but it was also vastly different and much much more developed. It was a story of politics, betrayal, and I think overall it did a pretty good job. I had not even played Ultima IX and I knew that I wanted to play Bob White's plot.

The bitterness of seeing how little of that plot actually made it in the final game, which only has a skeleton of a story, made it even harder to bear.

Back then, I was toying with a thing called "RPG Maker 95", the first widely available on the Internet of RPGMakers. Keep in mind that it was way before this tool earned the reputation of being the tool of shitty made RPGs, and weeaboos games. Within three days, I quickly made a small thing, a demo really, of a thing called "Alter U9" which was basically a proposal to remake Ultima IX in that engine. The demo contained the intro, the Stonegate tutorial, and a final cutscene, which I believed were stills captured from the Pyros cutscene of Ultima IX, which was actually part of the original story, but reused in the final game absurdly out of context.

Much to my surprise, the reaction I got was overwhelmingly positive. Much to my surprise, because there wasn't much to it yet. Some people offered to help with the project. One guy, nicknamed Chlorthos, offered to make music for the game. This is the same Chlorthos mentioned in that "history of Ultima IX redemption" thing.

I cannot emphasize how overwhelmingly positive the reaction to this was, and would like to point that it was following this reaction that another team started a project called "Ultima V : Lazarus.". I am not saying they did it because of Alter U9. That would be presomptuous. But Alter U9 was at the right at the right time : discontent with Electronic Arts and OSI was so strong that people were posting on the official boards and emailing EA in anger basically telling them "Look at all the shit you made, this one guy is doing a project that is more promising than yours." . I distinctly remember being pissed at this because EA was sending cease & desists left and right to anyone, including Aquamarine Dragon who had merely released a harmless tool to extract the music from the game.

Alter U9 never received a C&D. I know for a fact that Richard Garriott was aware of the project at some point. Whether he didn't share the info with EA, whether EA ignored it, or whether they didn't dare to piss off more the Ultima community than it was at that point I have no idea. Alter U9 went on, or rather, turned into Eriadain after someone sent me an email, noting the title was temporary and suggested the name. I'm actually quite sad I lost the name of that person. The explanation was this : Ultima started with an "unofficial" game called Akalabeth referencing the Fall of Numenor in Tolkien's mythology. Eriadain, in elfish, means the "Rising One", aka "Ascension". It's a throwback to the origin of the series, a literal translation of U9's subtitle, and a hint that yes, this is unofficial.

I thought it was brilliant and immediately went with it.

The game development went on. Here are things I remember I did in the RM95 engine : Britain, Ambrosia, Despise... Hythloth (maybe ?). As I built the game, as Chlorthos contributed music, and as Orm-Riva Dragon contributed dialog and writing (English wasn't, and still isn't, my main language), I looked more and more at the ressources available for Ultima IX. In the end, I was able to guess a lot of the gaps in Bob White's plot, thanks to a frame by frame analysis of the old trailers, looking at old concept arts, and reading old interview. I remember the RM95 version used, which I think was a mistake, a part of the Ed Del Castillo version of the story featuring a solo segment of Shamino. Terrible idea, but I was more interested in story fidelity than good ideas at that point it seemed.

With that last iteration (the aforementioned Despise/Ambrosia/Britain demo .... did it also have Buccaneer's Den ? ) of Eriadain, quickly approached a dilemma. More people joined the team (more on that later), and the thing had to become more ambitious. RPGMAKER 2K was just around the corner and was a much, much better product than RM95.

While Chlorthos was still submitting music, Orm dialog, other graphics, and while we were talking a lot over IRC on how to make Eriadain better, I tried to make a demo of Eriadain in RM2K. It involved restarting everything. Keep in mind that RM2K was not like modern day game engines and it was very, very difficult for several people to be working on the same game. There was a way of working on your own "iteration" of the game and just sending some files exported from the SDK, but it was more of a hack and no-one ever contributed this way. I was basically doing all the mapmaking, and the coding. I think it was around this time that this Avatus guy joined the project or didn't join the project (I don't remember if it was clear).

But it was worth it. RM2K made a lot more things possible. While the game was still using an "anime" look, it was not intended to stay that way and all the graphics could, and would, have been replaced to something more Ultima like. But here is something that eventually went in the RM2K demo which contained Britain, Despise, Stonegate and maybe a few other things : night and day cycle, weather system, embryo of a custom magic system, hope for a customizable battle engine, keeping track of Virtues, basic schedules, and a much better way to handle cutscenes which were proeminent in that version the story. It was clearly, clearly, a huge step above the RM95 version.

But this is where the trouble started.

It quickly became apparent that I would not have been able to finish the project. The build of Britain took FOREVER to build and was still buggy as crazy, however improved it was on the original version. Making the towns more alive required a lot more NPCs, and dialogs to be written. The damn thing would take years and years to complete and... well, it would have been difficult to finish the game.

Enters, at around the time of this difficulty, Gothrak Dragon. Friend of Chlorthos IIRC. And thus began the engine war.

As the expectations for Eriadain became stronger, as the team grew in size, and as the difficulties arrived, it became clear we had to change engines, again. And it is now important to mention how the team worked.

I was doing all the work. Other people were doing submissions.

It sounds arrogant, but that's pretty much how it worked. As I mentioned, the previous iterations of the game didn't allow for coding collaboration. Whatever possibilities were offered were ignored by the other team members. I am not blaming them. We were kids with a limited amount of free time. It was a voluntary project. But the fact is : I was doing all the maps, and in-engine coding. Others were sending dialog as text files, Chlorthos was sending MIDIs, some dudes were submitting art, and we all gathered on IRC to chat about the damn thing. The more people were contributing, the more concessions I was willing to make to the game design. Yes. It's a terrible idea, but the only one I knew to work considering engine, and ressources offered.

When the choice came of an engine switch, there were lengthy discussions.

Gothrak, I think, wanted to make the game polygonal 2D. It was something akin to Another World/Out of this world. I was thinking this would be awesome, but let's face it, we're just a bunch of 20 something doing this on our free time. This was not going to happen. The VERGE engine was also considered, but I was pondering support of that DOS based thing and the actual amount of work required to do it.

The three contenders for the engines were :

- Neverwinter Nights, which had my preference. The view point was similar to the early Ultima IX screenshots. Videos showed the toolset and showed that it was easy to build maps, and that it had some powerful scripting. No huge continuous world, but we could break it into maps and have it single scaled still. A minor concession. Everything seemed awesome, and it was easy to test the game in Multiplayer. Clearly, I thought (and still think), the smartest choice in terms of quality/chance of seeing the product completed.
- Dungeon Siege : It would also have been a smart move. Lazarus showed that. I, however, was skeptical of the capacity of the engine to correctly handle the game, but was also very skeptical of our team's ability to have delivered a final product that was in quality comparable to what we would have achieved in NWN. While I agreed that Dungeon Siege was a superior option, I thought us little guys couldn't make it. I think I remember someone of the team contacted the U5 Lazarus guys and asked them if they were willing to share assets. They said they would, but only if our team proved to be more serious. Something I considered a dick move (but time somehow proved them right).

The third engine considered had the favors of the team.

Ultima Online.

I shit you not.

The idea was to take Ultima Online's server emulators which were, I think, open source, and made extensive use of scripting at impressive levels and use that same engine to recreate something that was like a modern day version of Ultima VII, feature wise.
An idea that was bold but, I believed, foolish, considering the current pool of talents inside the team, and how primitive were still the UO server emulators. Nobody had ever attempted something like this. Nobody ever made UO into a single player game. Nobody even made (back then) a decent quest system, nor a fucking dialog system. It was simply too much work.

Also, it wouldn't have worked at all with the game we were working on. Lots of sequences in the Bob White story were unfeasible in the Ultima Online engine. This is were it became apparent there were different visions. A lot of the team wanted another Ultima VII. I wanted Eriadain to be its own game. I wanted it to be the Bob White version, with compromises made according to our pool of talent.

So considering I did all the shit, I decided that fuck it, we're going Neverwinter Nights.

This didn't go well.

Everybody left. Because clearly, the Ultima Online engine was the only hope of making that great single player game !

I worked on Eriadain alone, from this point, basically making it a NWN mod. When I finally gave up, a few years into it, here is what was made :
-Demo of Britain/Stonegate.
-Around 80% of the maps, including dungeons, cities, overworld.
-Scripting for 80% of the mainquest, untested.
-Lots of dialogs, including some placeholder stuff.

I like to say the game was 80% done, and 80% left to do. But eventually I gave up because real life caught up with me, I was going through a pretty dark period of my life, and I simply had played the game too much inside my head to even bother making it "for real". I also had the feeling the Ultima craze was dying out and that should it be completed and even be great, nobody would even care to play it.

In the meantime...

Chlorthos and others founded another team and announced Ultima IX : Redemption (called another name back then, IIRC) which, much to my surprise, used... the Dungeon Siege engine. But they quickly gave up on that and then restarted on the Morrowind engine.

So much for that hassle with the UO engine. It was their own project, with their own storyline, built at their own frustration of my ineptitude.

Well it turns out that 15 years down the line, they still do not have a game.

And now they're promising another one.

I do not want to sound bitter. People grow up. But following development of U9R from afar, it was pretty obvious that this game was not ever going to be completed, which makes me skeptical that this one will ever be. I sincerely hope it will be. The peoples involved have grown up, some other persons joined the team, but it clearly not has the strongest of basis to start with.

I, for one, am kinda happy to have jumped from the ship I built just in time to not waste even more working hours on that. I did make another attempt, a few years ago, to "get the ball rolling again", and restarted very preliminary development in the NWN2 engine. But I had never intended to finish it. The idea was to get people interested again in the project and for someone to pick it up, with me contributing casually as much as I could. Nobody seemed interested, which is maybe because the Bob White lost part of its appeal when it leaked fully.

I remember the day I announced I gave up the project, initially. I did a post somewhere on the Internet. A couple of hours later, I received an email pointing me to a URL of interest : that thing had full scripts of the Bob White's plot cutscenes. Finding, just a few hours after canceling it, that one of the major character I had in the game was actually female and not male like I intended got me into some kind of hilarious rage. Years later when the Bob WHite plot was released, I read it with nostalgia, was happy at things I guessed correctly, and shocked at ... other things... (the "Ultimas").

I believe Eriadain would have been a good game. I had mixed the linearity of the Bob White storyline with some non linearity of my own. The game would have followed two main quests, one linear, and one absolutely open ended (the columns and virtues subsection of the story). It could have been good, but it was not meant to be.

I can only congratulate the Redemption team for their perseverance and will buy a finished product if it's good. But I don't think I'm to blame or to be called bitter if I refuse to back a kickstarter should it come to that. The team, sadly, has a lot to prove after the last 15 years and not delivering anything.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
The entire irony of the story of the Eriadain dev ?

THe idea was to make a game that could not be made anymore because of "current" AAA trends, focusing on technology.
Ultima IX failed because there was internal struggles about technological choices and team politics.
Eriadain failed... for the very same reason. With an indie flavour.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Wow. Well, at least Corv doesn't appear to be directly tied to Eriadain's fall since it seems he only encountered the project after it became known as Redemption.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Wow. Well, at least Corv doesn't appear to be directly tied to Eriadain's fall since it seems he only encountered the project after it became known as Redemption.

Absolutely. The above post was not an attempt at pointing fingers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom