Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Copper Dreams Kickstarter Update #3: Setting, Part 1 - The Syndicates

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Copper Dreams; Whalenought Studios

After a much-appreciated endorsement from Larian Studios, the Copper Dreams Kickstarter campaign has reached $25,000 of funding out of the needed $40,000. Hopefully it will continue reaching more eyeballs over the next three weeks. Today's Kickstarter update is the first in a series of updates about the game's setting. It describes the syndicates - the factions of Calitana. The player character will be a member of the Wolffz Bay Shipping & Services syndicate, but the setting's dominant syndicate is the Puritan-like Mayflower Initiative, the description of which I'll quote here:

Walled off from the rest of Calitana, the Mayflower Initiative, or the MFI, is the largest and wealthiest group on the island, hoarding resources, talent, and technology on their elevated plane above the rest of the city. Officially sent from the US government to jumpstart industry and civilized society for the colony in its founding years, the MFI not only built factories and housing for its members with its Corporeal Synthesizer, but also set up ministries for the purpose of enforcing fellowship and cheerful productivity, at gunpoint if necessary. The MFI members and their families enjoy luxuries such as fresh produce, safe streets and well-made housing complexes, but their lives are restricted by the numerous harshly enforced regulations that dictate everything from the color of their jumpsuits to their thoughts and speech.

Not everyone who is drafted to live on Calitana makes the cut to work at MFI, and thus the slums district grew outside its walls, sheltering those who have been exiled from the syndicate, those who are deemed unemployable, and those who are headhunted by other syndicates before the MFI can interview them. Following the years since the government has broken contact with the city this issue has escalated, and that was decades ago. The MFI still considers the citizens of the slums to live in its jurisdiction, but patrols infrequently and generally only where their financial interests are at stake. Still, as homelessness, unemployment, and loitering are all unlawful under the mandates of the MFI Ministry of Harmony and their Civic Spirit Acts, the citizens of the slums live in a state of constant tension, knowing that catching the eye of a patrol guard might land them a visit to the holding cells, an underground prison with a notoriously barbaric reconditioning program.

An indomitable force, the Mayflower Initiative runs the city with an iron fist, whether from behind the scenes or by sending in their artillery. Their favorite weapon, the Copper Faces, a beheaded elite guard with a skull of enhanced censors and a brain more robot than human, are a personification of the terror they invoke in the lives of citizens.
The next update will be about the game's quests and quests structure.

sstacks

Arcane
I love this backstory / worldbuilding so far. It impresses me that just 2 people are doing the game.

Abhay

Augur
Awesoommeee...
:takemymoney:
Can't wait to get my hands on the copy. This seems like its going to be even beat Underrail as the best turn-based game ever.
The really sad part is the long wait for the release.

Raapys

Arcane
Looking great.

Kicktraq has it trending towards 80k and projected towards 40-60K, so it should be alright no?

Whalenought_Joe

Whalenought Studios
Developer
I am most curious about a detailed update dedicated to the stealth systems.

We'll have an update going into more detail on the mechanics behind this with some examples. I think the biggest part of it is the sensory mechanics for NPCs and the player characters which we designed quite a lot of it around. The end result of that is an isometric, turn based version of something like MGS or Thief — more simulated stealth (though there are still rolls involved).

Looking great.

Kicktraq has it trending towards 80k and projected towards 40-60K, so it should be alright no?

Unfortunately not necessarily, but we had a wonderful first 10 days with a lot of repeat backers from Serpent. It all depends on mainstream journalists picking it up or any mid-week shout outs we get from other Kickstarters that have the same audience. The hurdle we face with a game like this the audience is pretty niche and we don't have years to gain name recognition or work with a large marketing budget.

Considering our page view to backer ratio, the issue is still just exposure (we still have ~half our Serpent backer numbers) and any mid-week news. Just two choice news posts got us the lion's share of backers for Serpent, so we're just working to get anything. That PC Gamer article helped act as a seed for a few leads that have contacted us we hope pan out soon. We'll be of course continuing those efforts throughout the week — as always appreciate the interest and support!

Gakkone

pretty cool guy eh
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
isometric
RispghT.png

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I'll try to force some Russian jornos to give article about game, at least mention it in article about Kickstarter news.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom