Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Copper Dreams Kickstarter Update #20: New Art Direction, Drivable Vehicles, Cybernetics and More

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Copper Dreams; Whalenought Studios

There's a new Kickstarter update available for Whalenought's Copper Dreams.
The update covers examples of the new art style, like this...

800d1f7b13e74f8050216a191345a8fb_original.gif

... news about a new community website and some gameplay related stuff like, for example, cybernetics:

You can automate cybernetics by just toggling them on in your medical screen, they'll show up next to your normal fleshy limbs if available. Characters are a single entity whose turns are the use of one skill and item at a time, but cybernetics that extend themselves, like tentacle arms or floating robots, are controlled as individuals with their own AI and turns, effectively making them like companions attached to you. Each of these entities get their own tile that can take damage (fortunately sometimes in place of you). You'll be able to direct some commands to them from the companion dock.

During development we split the design of cybernetics and items, so things like harpoons and 1-time use objects are now just going to be items you carry, and things that operate on their own are cybernetics. We found the previous system limiting, as their isn't action points to distribute we can go off the rails and just have lots of things taking turns at once. You can toggle enhanced armor, vision, reflexes, laser arms or more powerful melee attacks, but you'll be equipping items for your own ticks.

To run cybernetic hardware you’ll need to have battery packets in your inventory. These take up some room and are heavy, so if you’re doing a cybernetic-centric build your inventory will resemble a power station and you'll need the Vigor to carry it all.​

aratuk

Cipher
I really like the new palette! I remember a while ago someone offering a criticism — which I was forced to agree with — that the color scheme was too muted, not just for aesthetic reasons but to set the game apart on Steam, GOG, or wherever. Now I think they've struck a good balance.

I notice the walking animation has also changed. The overconfident, loping strides have turned into a defeated hobo shuffle, until someone opens fire and sends everyone flailing. Hmm…

The cybernetic system sounds like it'll add an interesting dimension to turn-based combat, especially when characters lose control of their augmentations. And I'm glad to hear that Whalenought have preempted the soon-to-be-announced future dystopia GTA game. Better make the carjacking system very robust!

LootSeeker

Educated
I can get used to it. The more I see the more acclimated I become to the new art. I don't hate it, but I don't love it. I think by the time the game is released and I'm sitting down playing it I won't be staring at the screen thinking about the older style. If I do and feel down about it, I'll keep this gif nearby to cheer me up and remind me of the good ol' days.
giphy.gif

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
I really like the new palette! I remember a while ago someone offering a criticism — which I was forced to agree with — that the color scheme was too muted, not just for aesthetic reasons but to set the game apart on Steam, GOG, or wherever. Now I think they've struck a good balance.

I notice the walking animation has also changed. The overconfident, loping strides have turned into a defeated hobo shuffle, until someone opens fire and sends everyone flailing. Hmm…

The cybernetic system sounds like it'll add an interesting dimension to turn-based combat, especially when characters lose control of their augmentations. And I'm glad to hear that Whalenought have preempted the soon-to-be-announced future dystopia GTA game. Better make the carjacking system very robust!
I also noticed the new walking animations and they are much better. Also it seems everyone has stopped walking in perfect synch with each other.

Whalenought_Joe

Whalenought Studios
Developer

I also noticed the new walking animations and they are much better. Also it seems everyone has stopped walking in perfect synch with each other.

Those animations were a pain to work with before we divided up the hex size — before characters were moving with root motion limited to a certain number of ticks per tile size, resulting in a little bit of

giphy.gif

Saduj

Arcane
I can get used to it. The more I see the more acclimated I become to the new art. I don't hate it, but I don't love it. I think by the time the game is released and I'm sitting down playing it I won't be staring at the screen thinking about the older style. If I do and feel down about it, I'll keep this gif nearby to cheer me up and remind me of the good ol' days.
giphy.gif

images

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom