Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Copper Dreams Kickstarter Update #18: An Early Look At The Alpha

Grab the Codex by the pussy
I enjoyed SitS, but something was missing
Barbarians
15668.jpg

Whalenought_Joe

Whalenought Studios
Developer
EDIT: Also ammo needs to travel at different speeds depending on weapon and ammo used. If they leave everything traveling at 3 tiles per tick, that will become too predictable for dodging. Dodging should not be easy and there should be more about it (skill and feats and combat states that will make it easier or harder).

Turning functionality is something you can freely do now, but we're waiting to put in more mechanics for that. Characters will deploy dodge/blocking/shield stances towards a hex-direction on the action select. We'll likely have turns cost a tick once we get to that, but it won't be until after the alpha — to your point the characters can still see omni-directionally around them, so it'll just be for positional attacks/defense. As far as projectile speeds, it’s just a number in the spreadsheet for how fast they travel, different weapons shoot projectiles at different speeds, most being around 3-6. Slug weapons are designed to be a bit slower than electric ones to create more distinctions between weapon types, but could be bumped up 1 or 2. I like keeping them slower to test because because I get a kick out of dodging them, but that’s also the speed of shaft projectiles like arrows/bolts, so a bit too slow for a normal firearm and will be increased. Laser weapons instantiate a long beam to its destination instantaneously, large rifles are 6-7, and thrown things are the slowest at 2-3, to give you an idea on the range. Characters will be very unlikely to successfully roll to dodge bullets on contact without specific modification or equipment.

The current color values are a bit grayer than they had been, yeah. Light values and contrast are all mostly adjusted on the backend as all the lighting is simulated through the 3d-hex grid happening everywhere for light/dark/sunlight/black LOS tiles. It's meant to be made up of fairly cool tones with fog-lights creating light gradients, so we’ll work on conveying that better before shipping the alpha out.:salute: Mostly focused on getting maps prepped for the beta and tweaking the alpha one for release.

HUD as it is with new backpack interface attached:
CopperDreams_newHUD.png

Still working on details, but we wanted to remove the quick items from the action bar and just have them selected from the backpack which requires ~ tick to switch to (per item weight mod and adjusted with any ailments). It was sort of clumsy to do before by needing to open up the character sheet to grab new items.

Going to do an update this week with the environmental status-effect tiles like fire/water/smoke and the ailments they do, as well as some other gamey stuff like leaving trails that enemies follow.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Luckily they gave up on that crazy save idea they had few months back :D

screeg

Arcane
Developer
I like the all-in-one interface but preferred the grey/red color scheme from much earlier, 2016. The dirt and grunge look on the side panels is doing the game no favors.

Diggfinger

Arcane
OK, so this is not clear to me:
--> Has the alpha been released yet? (was due February...) or is it still not out?

Sorry, I'm retradued :retarded:

Diggfinger

Arcane
Update from Joe:

only a couple of Kickstarter updates left before Alpha release: next one slated for this weekend.

As I understand it, the alpha will go live on Steam. So keys have been sent to backers, which opens an 'empty placeholder' where will the alpha will be ready for DL.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom