Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Preview Copper Dreams Kickstarter Update #18: An Early Look At The Alpha

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Click here and disable ads!
    Tags: Copper Dreams; Whalenought Studios

Last we heard, the Copper Dreams alpha was supposed to have come out in February. Turns out it's delayed because Joe and Hannah have been busy flipping real estate outside Seattle to raise more money for development. So they reveal in today's Kickstarter update, which unlike previous updates is primarily in video format. The video gives us what is probably our longest look at Copper Dreams' gameplay yet. By playing through a couple of basic combat scenarios, Joe and Hannah demonstrate some of the recent changes that have been made to the game, such as switching from square to hex-based tiles, a streamlined user interface and improved visual indicators. The gameplay part of the video starts at around 7:20, but if you'd rather not watch, the update does include a brief summary:

Just a few micro-issues remaining. No, we're just finishing on some last AI functionality before sending it off to you to make sure the different challenge modes are adequate to test. Since the last update we had a slew of life and Copper Dreams upgrades, so we'll get into that in this update. First, for all of the alpha backers who received keys, that depot on Steam will update with the alpha so stay tuned for when that's live, we'll post another update when it is though. I think we talked to everyone who had problems with that, but if you are an alpha backer and didn't get the email let us know and we will sort that out for you! That will roll out on OSX, Windows and Linux.

If you hate videos here's a recap:
    • Hannah and Joe sold a house and moved to get cash money for development and get back to Seattle, so there was a small delay.
    • Alpha is a solid vertical slice of systems in game, featuring a mid-level operative infiltrating a warehouse of insurgents as various enemy types. Also includes a custom enemy agent. Various challenge and game modes included to unlock with your feedback. Incentives!
    • Changed from square tiles to hexagons.
    • Our volumetric line-of sight system, which has unseen tiles that are painted black in-world, now includes sensory visuals like the sound you emit and enemy vision cones.
    • Line of sight system also now has custom lighting integrated into it — easier visual for what lights are influencing tiles and gives us complete control with what to do with it to influence tiles. Spotlights, flares, tiles on fire, or even the muzzle flash from firing a gun now have clear indication of what tiles they are lighting up.
    • Character direction ruleset info implemented for hexes, player can rotate without tick cost for turn. For example shields (or carrying dead bodies in front of you) block attacks from one direction.
    • Game feed replaced with more cryptic DM-descriptive health readouts for combatants. Detailed roll information replaced with on-hover details while targeting tiles/characters. Game feed was too heavy before with too much happening, as rolls for aiming were not immediately followed up with a resolution, so things would be out of order. It's also visually and descriptively obvious how a combatant is doing. Also their faces make increasingly ouchy expressions depending on how poorly they are doing.
    • Movable and stackable boxes for cover, climbing and puzzles. It's the best thing since sliced bread.
    As for the alpha, there's no new release date yet, but it sounds like it shouldn't be far off. Now that they're set up at their new location and the game is finally taking shape, Joe and Hannah are promising more updates soon.

• Brofist x 9
    • incline x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Excited! x 2
    • Friendly x 1
    • cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    Parrots:
    :ibelieveincleve:

• Prestigious Prestigious x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. mustawd. Self-Ejected

mustawd.
    Parrots:
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 2
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    • Kitty Kitty x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Fenix Liturgist Vatnik

Fenix
    Parrots:
    Why Hannah cut off her hairs.... :negative:

• Despair x 9
    • Agree x 2
    • decline x 2
    • sheeple x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Cheaper than paying $100 for a woman's haircut?

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Fenix Liturgist Vatnik

Fenix
    Parrots:
    How many dollarz cost to not touch them at all?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    I have long hair. It does mean that I need more time in the shower to shampoo/condition my hair and also time spent brushing/combing/drying so it doesn't look like a mess / be annoying.

With shorter hair you don't need to do shit really, and shampooing/etc doesn't take as long, so I can totally understand why if you spend 90% of your time inside the house programming a game that how your hair looks might not be the #1 priority :)

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 5
    • cuck cuck x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Goral Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

Goral
    Parrots:
    Woah... Hopefully CD will be a much bigger success than SitS.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Ovplain Arcane

Ovplain
    Parrots:
    I used to have waist-long hair. And I used to really hate people like you. People that make having long hair sound SO fruity.

Re: spending 90% of your time inside the house programming a game WITH LONG HAIR, you just put it in a hair tie, BIG DEAL! Problem solved.

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    • rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. agentorange Arcane Patron

agentorange
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012
    your hair must have fucking stunk and looked oily as shit

• Funny x 4
    • Edgy x 2
    • FAKE NEWS x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Junmarko Ravioli di canguro Patron

Junmarko
    Parrots:
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    God damn it can't wait! This really is looking like an isometric Deus Ex. (might want to saturate the red for the enemy vision cones, seems a little difficult to see at times.)

:incline:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Bumvelcrow Bellator Sempervirens Patron

Bumvelcrow
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    My heart sunk when I read that they had to sell their house and I had visions of a Hero-U style money chute, but they seem to be still under a roof and clothed so fingers crossed. I'll watch the video later. Perhaps Fenix can buy some of Hannah's hair to help finance it.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Despair Despair x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. aratuk Savant

aratuk
    Parrots:
    Oh, I had missed the email about the Alpha Test. The intro already looks really good.

Is Cleveland Mark Blakemore a Copper Dreams backer? :D

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Achiman Arbiter Patron

Achiman
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Forgot I backed this... Oh well, a game eventually is better than the devs running off with the money. I vaguely remember one of them getting sick somewhere as well, that's probably why they had to sell their house with kwan medicine being so $$$.

^ Top  
  15. Indranys Savant

Indranys
    Parrots:
    Holy shit did they really sell their own house??!

Why the fuck man, I mean, your own abode is your material representation of the Sthana, the gate to Niskala, the divine microcosm which lead to the Whole man.
    You are the spawn of Manu, thus you need that damn piece of bricks, for walled cages like flats nor apartments can't substitute its metaphysical functions for fuck's sake!
    Sold your own Sala, for financing videogamu projekt.
    Yeah, good decision bro.

Manufag, manufag never changes.

• Deus Vult x 8
    • Funny x 3
    • hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Bad Spelling x 2
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • Heresy x 1
    • what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Diggfinger Savant

Diggfinger
    Parrots:
    Every-time I see footage of this game, I go "I should (slacker)back this"! The horror, Sci-fi premises looks extremely cool. TB combat:check.
    Then minutes later, I realize I know very little about how the systems will work. Seems like class-less system a la Fallout, but guess I not sure how the new ideas will pan out (will it be...'fun'?).
    Also, graphically it looks different every time, although all changes are for the better.

Btw. the mop-minigame (for removing blood) sounds like a great idea, Whalenought_Joe !

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. ArchAngel Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    I also got a feeling like in every update they change big parts of the game they already had working in update before or something... maybe they just really enjoy the making of games, don't care if they get released or sell.

And then selling basic living stuff to finance a hardcore RPG in 2018.. they really want to eventually live under a bridge or something..

• Agree Agree x 2
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. polo Liturgist

polo
    Parrots:
    Selling their house and taking the money to follow their dreams, thats dedication right there. I mean, i don't understand this move very well, but fuck it i hope it really works for them.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    It's not an uncommon thing for Americans with some access to capital to do. Buy a house, improve it, sell it for a profit. If they were able to do this then I'm pretty sure they're not in danger of being homeless.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. polo Liturgist

polo
    Parrots:
    I would understand it as a real state bussines if it weren't their home. Thats what feels weird to me.

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron Developer

JarlFrank
    Parrots:
    Sold it to finance development of the game.

• Despair Despair x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. ArchAngel Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    I must also add that bullet dodging shown in the gameplay parts is stupid. Mostly being able to see the trajectory of the bullet.. that is some Sherlock level shit (new show).. I really hope that is not in the released game, at least not unless you got some high tech end game gizmo that lets you do that. Also turning around certain degrees should cost ticks so if you do want to try to dodge bullets you need to spend as little time turning around so it becomes a risk/reward factor, not just reward (you will need to decide if moving towards enemies while dodging bullets is something you want or if you are going to risk turning around more to dodge sideways.
    And if you cannot see bullet trajectory it should also make sideways dodging more rewarding as you should be able to move away more from possible trajectories.

EDIT: Also ammo needs to travel at different speeds depending on weapon and ammo used. If they leave everything traveling at 3 tiles per tick, that will become too predictable for dodging. Dodging should not be easy and there should be more about it (skill and feats and combat states that will make it easier or harder).

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Outlander Custom Tags Are For Fags. Patron

Outlander
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    Cuphead devs did it too.

They rollin' in dosh now :salute:

• incline incline x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. LeStryfe79 Wino Patron

LeStryfe79
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    She looks good with short hair.

• Disagree x 5
    • Agree x 4
    • meh x 2
    • decline x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron Developer

JarlFrank
    Parrots:
    I hope the game makes them enough profit so she can afford hair extensions.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)