Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Mechajammer (formerly Copper Dreams) - cyberpunk RPG from Whalenought Studios

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
santino27 Not sure which animated gif you're referring to. All the ones with the Doc Ock arms are weird looking because the arms are themselves a weird element that's hard to show in small models, but the most recent forklift (which isn't a forklift, since it's rear-loading, it's more like a tow truck/trailer) is pretty clear to me?

This one:

Kickstarter update coming tomorrow.

My eyes aren't as good as they used to be (and they've never been good), but I wouldn't know that was a forklift if the tweet hadn't told me.

I backed it, because I have the impulse control of someone half again my age, but I'm hoping it feels more coherent in play.

grimace

Arcane
"We're just happy to be out of the shovel-ware technology range of visuals we've been at for a while now and working with a style we're loving to use — will be tweaking it through alpha, of course."

I'm loving every update more and more.

The most difficult thing in game development seems to be marketing the game efficiently and effectively. The current art style will help the game stand apart from the shovel-ware titles. #INCLINE

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Honestly, the reaction to these graphics is why we end up with such drab palettes -- people mutter about them being boring, but no one gets up in arms, whereas a more boisterous look provokes a stronger backlash.
Whoa easy there Rian. :)

e4a8ccc1f5e30443d9754f78f020fad8_original.gif
3c0748f24c4720094262c79ec9338db9_original.gif
4c8af962fe320a7c2cdd2c789d4dda6a_original.gif
1a1f8fb17d5884e2d4929084121038e6_original.gif
3b894d614bd4be911142b4612f636fdb_original.gif
4cc963a8ef3370212162fb72735d38ef_original.gif
Their stated goal for the change was to facilitate gameplay, and they appear to have succeeded.:incline:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The new art style in those gifs look a lot more muddied and unclear. Maybe tone down the saturation, decrease the number of shades on each screen. The noise radius demo gif has 5 different shades of purple for different things. I don't know, do something, it doesn't look good or playable.

garren

Arcane
Patron
The overly drab grey palette from the earlier version gets no points from me, but they went way too far and the new version looks like some hipsters daydream. It's like the whole game suddenly got this weird color swap à la Jojo's Bizarre Adventure that's used occasionally for artistic effect or something, instead the whole game is like that. No thanks.

Last edited:

Morkar Left

I don't mind the comic-style as such but I think that purple blood in different shades isn't really what they should be going for...

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My guess is that they changed artstyle so that it works with more of their upcoming game. Smart move, if so.

Observer

Educated
It looks not bad at the static pictures but in the motion, my head starts to dizzy.

grimace

Arcane
In everyday speech, a non sequitur is a statement in which the final part is totally unrelated to the first part, for example:

Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.

and this:

from this
bae98037bfc8ed93114f6a2ad1fa38c1_original.gif

to this
cmwindowsnt3-1jul15d.jpg

Congratz for shooting yourselves in the leg(s).

The comparison of the visual aesthetic of a Shovel-ware Unity/Flash/Browser/Android App to Windows 3.1 makes no sense.

We can discuss Copper Dreams without lowest common denominator memes.

Mustawd

The comparison of the visual aesthetic of a Shovel-ware Unity/Flash/Browser/Android App to Windows 3.1 makes no sense

Of course it doesn’t. But Grotesque doesn’t care about logic when he bitches about stuff.

Also, don’t forget that the entire level is just gray with some red lighting. Which is reallly nothing special at all. So not sure why he think that actually looks good.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Oh my, the new art style is terrible. It looks like a psychedelic trip in a bad way and like some phone camera filter is smeared all over. Where's my early 3D aesthetic that I praised so much during the kickstarter? Is it still the same game in terms of mechanics?

Off topic: The ratings on this is why I come here. Codex is not a giant echo chamber unlike 90% of the internet. Bethesdafags frollick too and fro praising the one true savior Godd Howard. MCA Cultists worship in mass in the appointed threads awaiting his return with news of the Failed Obsidian. Near the nether regions /polfags debate incessantly about war never changing. Every niche is filled.

Put me in with the new art style is not as good pile.

imweasel

It is weird and extremely colorful. Something I would only expect to see if the player character is high on LSD or something.

That said, I prefer the old art style.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
That style reminds me of the people who violently react to Ultima 7's or KotC's perspective, in that looking too long at it might induce migraine and definitely would put me off of playing altogether, I really should stop supporting kickstarters, that just breeds disappointment

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom