Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Copper Dreams, a cyberpunk RPG from Whalenought Studios

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Infinitron, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Whalenought_Joegender: ⚧ Whalenought Studios Developer

Whalenought_Joe
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    We're showing an example of the portrait in the update and starting to ask for them to get some on character faces for the alpha. Hand sizes are static, regrettably. Children are smaller though, so if you want small hands I can de-age you into one of them.

The mechanics and gameplay with the limited sight lends itself toward hunted/hunter type of scenarios and sneaking around, like Alien or something. Definitely more System Shock of the two in that way. Nothing supernatural or Cthulu oriented, that would sort of trivialize the mortal dangers present that are enough to kill anything.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Excited! Excited! x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. grimacegender: ⚧ Learned

grimace
    Parrots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3SZ4lSvH9o

Sounds like the horror of a bio-punk setting.

How much has genetic engineering influenced Calitana? Can I still find an organic banana to eat?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. ushasgender: ⚧ Learned

ushas
    Parrots:
    Looking forward the update!

I remember you have also hearing right?

Though, pardon me if already discussed, do you plan to implement in the character system any other combat psychology? I mean anything fitting the settings, there are many possibilities. Seems to me that well executed morale system can enhance some of the natural horror aspects in party based games...

I still remember how my grenadier dropped in panic pre-primed high explosive on x-com mission.

Or in this old game Shadow Watch, well it's TB though the principle of the morale they used can be more generalized - a unit's speed / adrenaline (action points in SW) is boosted by experiencing all sort of stressful things (hearing some sound, seeing an enemy, being hit/wounded, seeing a friend being shot...). It has a catch, there is a break point at which they will panic / flee or go berserk. The adrenaline then goes down if the situation is more calm (no enemy in fov).

One of the more comprehensive psychological models was implemented in Close Combat series, though that is probably too far off the course.

etc...

^ Top  
  4. Whalenought_Joegender: ⚧ Whalenought Studios Developer

Whalenought_Joe
    Parrots:
    Two of the syndicates were food providers for the colony, one dealt with purely engineered food and the other fishing. Organic gardens exist in some of the elite parts of the city but are well guarded.

In the tradition of the original Deus Ex, jacked up cyborg agents will largely be on a diet of soda and potato chips.

That’s correct, which there is now a visual radius for. There’s the 3d line of sight around your character indicating how far they can see, and then beyond that is another radius indicating where they could potentially be rolling to hear things. That’s also as far as the camera can pan. We go through all that and some combat in the update.

A progressive morale system like that is a really cool idea, I’ll talk to Hannah about it, thanks for the suggestion! We wouldn’t want it overlapping with the ailment system, but party/character morale could be integrated into it.

We currently have ailments dealing with psych in a few ways, like through chemical agents (can cause a number of gameplay/stat influencers) or in combat from taking on suppressing fire, so they get mentally more downtrodden through stacking those just like physical ailments.

Having characters roll against Focus/Mental Stability during dangerous situations would definitely add to the atmosphere and simulation through. Since players can be avoiding and ending combat through hiding, there would be a persistent danger inflicting fear/stress ailments during that time.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  5. Aenragender: ⚧ Guest

Aenra
    Can someone explain to me what the combat is like? Explain though?
    I read the trendy and sophisticated official title, including Sensuki's basically reiterating it in even more trendy sophisticated awesomeness, but that hasn't helped.

Maybe some comparison? Just so i get an idea, would appreciate it.

^ Top  
  6. Sensukigender: ⚧ Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Essentially it's turn-based combat but once you execute a turn, the game continues in real time and people perform actions at the same time, although a bit staggered by how long their action will take in seconds.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Whalenought_Joegender: ⚧ Whalenought Studios Developer

Whalenought_Joe
    Parrots:
    We really need to come with a
    name for it.

Sorta Concurrent turn based?

Aenra — we'll have a demonstration of what it currently looks like for the next update, we shoot and pistol whip guards.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • incline incline x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Aenragender: ⚧ Guest

Aenra
    Thank you for replying Joe and Sensuki :)
    Would be great to have some demo to actually see it, but i think i got it now.

So far, this looks like the one game i didn't back but should have. Will be a nice surprise if it really turns out to be so.

^ Top  
  9. HoboForEternitygender: ⚧ Magister

HoboForEternity
    Parrots:
    Is it kinda like valkyra chronicles of a sort?

In your turn you move in real time in some timeframe / ap bar, then stop etc.

^ Top  
  10. ArchAngelgender: ⚧ Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    God I hope this update is worth all this wait :D

^ Top  
  11. The Fishgender: ⚧ Arbiter

The Fish
    Parrots:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1649838104/copper-dreams/comments

:x

• Rage x 5
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. ArchAngelgender: ⚧ Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    So what has broken today? Is this update going to be released before or after Grimoire?
    Discuss.

^ Top  
  13. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ Trade Master Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. ArchAngelgender: ⚧ Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    Well they said morning their time they would give us the update. It is now morning their time ...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Fenixgender: ⚧ Arbiter

Fenix
    Parrots:
    18:40 in Russia (Moscow time zone).

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. MachineCommandergender: ⚧ Novice

MachineCommander
    Parrots:
    Still waiting...

:negative:

• Despair Despair x 5
    ^ Top  
  17. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ Trade Master Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    At last: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1649838104/copper-dreams/posts/1856072

• Brofist Brofist x 22
    ^ Top  
  18. CryptRatgender: ⚧ Arcane

CryptRat
    Parrots:
    The soundtrack's going to be great.

^ Top  
  19. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ Trade Master Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:

• Brofist Brofist x 9
    ^ Top  
  20. Make America Great Again Alienmangender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Where is the color?

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 4
    • it is a mystery x 3
    • Funny x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Jimmiousgender: ⚧ Magister

Jimmious
    Parrots:
    Also the video is pretty choppy for me, especially in the beginning... Not the best way to show stuff I guess

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Jinngender: ⚧ Cipher

Jinn
    Parrots:
    Holy shit I'm loving how the battle system is coming along! Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Also, Joe said why it was choppy. These guys don't have the systems to run recording software while running the game, which is horrible to think about. Whalenought deserves so much better. I hope Copper Dreams brings some of that well-deserved business their way.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. gaussgunnergender: ⚧ Magister

gaussgunner
    Parrots:
    For developers, morning goes until at least noon. Then they start. Then they encounter unexpected difficulties and don't finish until nightfall, or next morning. :lol:

• Kitty Kitty x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. ArchAngelgender: ⚧ Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    This update was many kinds of awesome!

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Rahdulangender: ⚧ Arcane

Rahdulan
    Parrots:
    I love the garbled text if you're illiterate or too low of Logic, but maybe come up with some random text strings made of nonsensical scribbles or something. Unicode symbols just look kinda off to me.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)