Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Mechajammer (formerly Copper Dreams) - cyberpunk RPG from Whalenought Studios

Jrpgfan

Erudite
So will conversational skills give you additional keywords to use in dialogue for each corresponding skill? I'm curious how they'll make conversational skills work with keyword-based dialogue.

They'll probably allow you to persuade people into giving you important information to use as keywords on important quests that you otherwise wouldn't be able to with low persuasion or whatever it's gonna be called skill.

I'm really liking everything I'm seeing here so far. It's turning out better than I expected, and I was already very optimistic about this game.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
The Kickstarter rewards already offer 70 unique NPC/companion portraits

It's a face on a 3D model, not a portrait. I don't think Copper Dreams will have handrawn portraits, it'll just be a snapshot of the 3D model ... at least as far as I am aware. All of the faces need not have dialogue associated with them.

grimace

Arcane
It's a face on a 3D model, not a portrait. I don't think Copper Dreams will have handrawn portraits, it'll just be a snapshot of the 3D model ... at least as far as I am aware. All of the faces need not have dialogue associated with them.

Whalenought_Joe can clarify what this kickstarter reward will entail.

all the shots and pics remined me of metal gear solid 1 if it was isometric RPG

Absolutely agree. I had the same thought. Along with GoldenEye 007 faces. The sequel to GoldenEye, Pefect Dark, promised users the abiltiy to use the Gameboy Camera to add faces to bots in multiplayer. This feature did not end up in the released cartridge. Been waiting 20 years to have my low poly model face in a game.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
the keyword system looks amazing, reminded me of point and click adventure games.

well, still alot of time, and less than 13k. i am very optimistic this will be funded. most of kickstarters are slow during mid-funding, and pick up in the last few days.
insomnia was less than half the funding when it was on halfway of the campaign, but it got funded just fine.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
yeah. the graphics probably matter alot too.

i made a topic on gamefaqs, with insomnia, at least nobody complain about gfx, but with copper dreams, some cuck kids told "LOLOLOL TEH GRAPHIX SUX WHAT IS THIS 1999"

well, fuck you kids

Lhynn

Arcane
This is a shame, 3D model snapshots always look like complete and utter shit, and theres not a single rpg that hasnt been benefited by portraits, especially if players get to make their own. Cant imagine its a feature that would be hard to implement either.

Blackmill

Scholar
Whalenought_Joe

Hey Joe. I've got a few questions about the keyword dialogue system.

1. Will only relevant keywords appear as saved keywords when speaking to some one?

2. Will everything that is potentially a future keyword be saved? That is, if the name "Jeremy" is a keyword in some far off dialogue, will it be saved even though you have no idea that it may become important? Or will there be times where the player has to make the connection between what was said in the past and its present importance?

3. How will you keep the keyword system from simplifying to exhausting all options? Will choosing some keywords eliminate (or change the reaction to) using other keywords? Will it be hard to discern the "right" keyword?

Thanks.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1649838104/copper-dreams/posts/1586362

Kill Screen Article + Greenlit on Steam!

We were recently interviewed by Kill Screen where we gabbed about a dystopian world, Metal Gear Solid influences and cybernetics. The article is up now, check it out!

Also in 15 days we were Greenlit, which is just wonderful!

Thank you so much to everyone who voted for us to be on the Steam platform.

Some folks have asked about DRM-Free options as well. GOG has expressed interest and we'd love to have our next game on there as well. We will be talking with them more throughout the year. Besides that, one way or another we'll have the game DRM-Free.

75d78d76d6daa5c020cd8b9283f8d4c4_original.gif

Ready your ray guns for more mechanics in the next update!

Cheers!

https://killscreen.com/articles/cyberpunk-dreams-rust-copper/

A CYBERPUNK RPG THAT DREAMS OF RUST AND COPPER

“How would syndicates abuse their power without the oversight of a government?” asks Hannah Williams, one half of Seattle-based Whalenought Studios. That’s one of the many questions thatCopper Dreams, the studio’s second RPG, looks to answer.

While RPGs are often set in vast fantasy worlds, Copper Dreams‘ cyberpunk world takes place on an isolated island called Calitana. It’s a place where the uncivilized aspects of humanity can be drawn out, where food is scarce but copper is cheap, resulting in an economy based on the metal, and a culture obsessed with technological body alterations. “We thought it would be interesting to explore what happens if the citizens of that prosperous world are given a one-way ticket to a secluded frontier planet, then more or less abandoned for several decades,” Williams said.

Inspiration for the island setting of Calitana has come from many places, but two films had the biggest impact on its design. Hannah said that Terry Gilliam’s Brazil (1985) was an influence due to how it managed to turn “paperwork into a weapon,” and create situations that were both frightening and humorous. The John Carpenter-directed Escape from New York (1981) is the other main drawing point as it presents the “grit and despair of an isolated area” that Whalenought envisioned for Calitana.

This isn’t the first time that Escape from New York has influenced videogames. For instance, it was one of the biggest inspirations behind Konami’s landmark MSX stealth title Metal Gear(1987). And, just like Hideo Kojima’s signature work, Copper Dreams will require players to use stealth to outsmart their opposition. “[Stealth is] crucial in a dystopian world where technology has enabled those in power to create a surveillance state to make sure no one is threatening their interests,” Williams explained. “Shooting out cameras, taking down bots, and turning off the electric grid are critical skills to outmaneuvering the eyes that are always watching.”

While Copper Dreams’ stealth is largely a byproduct of the game’s dystopian setting, it’s not the only aspect that has been designed around it. Role-playing norms such as standalone weapons and character classes are all but gone here. “[It’s] not unlike going to a tattoo parlor, but certainly a little more painful,” joked Williams, who explained that players will be able to visit cybernetic artists who will modify their bodies with a wide variety of weaponry and armor. “You’ll be able to rid yourself of your inferior fleshy appendages in favor of cybernetics like blade arms, a harpoon attached to your elbow, pneumatic fists that generate electricity from the force of contact, and many more.”

“It’s like Lord of the Flies, except Piggy has a chainsaw arm instead of a conch,” explains Williams. She told me that players will also be able to get enhancements that impact areas other than just combat. So, if you’re having trouble with stealth, you can get “dampening legs that allow you to jump and run with the silence and grace of a cat.” Similarly, players will be able to get plated armor grafted onto the bodies that will help shield players from damage.

Whalenought has also worked hard to make sure every conversation in the game ties back to the main story. Simply talking to a shopkeeper can teach players more about the island, and the goal is for players to unravel Calitana’s mysteries at their own pace. “There won’t be a quest log,” said Hannah. “We believe that a game is more fun and rewarding if the story and important information isn’t spoon-fed to you, but discovered with your own intellect. Nothing ruins sleuthing around an open world more than a pop up congratulating you for discovering something before you’ve realized it yourself.”

Copper Dreams is currently being funded on Kickstarter and is scheduled to release on PC. Check out the trailer on YouTube.

Alex

Arcane
Hopefully they will get a sharp rise somewhere along the way (possibly after making dialogue keywords typed? Make them typed, Whalenought!).

Metal Hurlant

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Serpent in the Staglands KS. 1092 Backers $28,058.00
Copper Dreams KS. 634 Backers. $28,083.00

Well, it's gone over Serpent in money raised but where are all the backers? :|

almondblight

Arcane
I imagine Whalenought_Joe already reached out to a ton of news sites/youubers. Hopefully some of them will give them exposure before the campaign ends.

Another thing that might help is doing some Q&A's at various cyberpunk groups/forums, since that's a crowd that's pretty active. There are a few pretty big cyberpunk Facebook groups, for instance, and they'd probably be happy to have a developer show up and do a Q&A.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom