Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Control - supernatural third person action-adventure from Remedy

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
This is "a lot less linear", "more of a sandbox", "more gameplay-driven", and "challenging" game, they say: https://www.remedygames.com/announcing-control-a-new-remedy-game/

So what is Control? It is in many ways something familiar, yet new from us. It’s a supernatural third person action-adventure with a cast of memorable characters and that twisted story you expect from Sam Lake and the rest of us at Remedy. Control is also a more gameplay-driven experience that gives players a lot of options on how to approach combat by giving you some cool supernatural abilities to upgrade, as well as the transforming Service Weapon that you can customize and develop. Control is a lot less linear of an experience compared to our previous games and offers more of a sandbox for players to enjoy and plenty of secrets to find in the Oldest House. Speaking of which, the headquarters of the Federal Bureau of Control is a very cool location for our game…we can’t wait to show you more on that. Finally, our heroine Jesse is another intriguing Remedy character with a mysterious past that you will get to discover… maybe.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...rnatural-adventure-from-remedy-entertainment/

If you dig deeper into Control, you will find a gameplay-driven experience that is far less linear than our previous games. A big part of this is the setting of the game, the Oldest House, which you can glimpse in the trailer. The HQ of the Bureau is a strange place of power, a building that is vastly larger inside than its outside appearance would lead you believe, with a shifting floorplan filled with secrets to uncover.

Despite her abilities, Jesse won’t have it easy in her new role as the Director. Control is going to be a challenging game, so you’ll have to make use of both your destructive supernatural abilities as well as the transforming Service Weapon to fight back the Hiss. We want to give players a lot of choice on how they approach combat in our gameplay sandbox.

More exploration focused gameplay sounds interesting.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Partly channeling Warren Spector: https://www.pcgamesn.com/control/control-gun-service-weapon

In Control, your gun is basically Excalibur

Remedy’s new game Control is a bizarre one. It’s an open-world game that is set entirely within one building. It’s not a normal building - the whole thing is vastly bigger on the inside than the outside. It will also change shape and rebuild itself in answer to supernatural rituals that you’ll learn as you progress through the campaign.

Perhaps the oddest aspect of the whole thing is your Service Weapon. You're an agent and it's your sidearm, but it’s unique and the capitalisation is earned because, as Remedy’s creative director (and face of Max Payne) Sam Lake readily admits to us: “It's our modern take on the King Arthur legend.”

When you find the Service Weapon in Control, it’s like drawing the sword from the stone, you become the Director of the Bureau, a group Lake describes as “a secretive government agency that deals with the unexplainable.”

In that way they’re a little like Mulder and Scully in the X-Files, but also not. “They seek out the unexplainable,” Lake continues. “They investigate it, they contain it, and ultimately try to control it and it use it to their ends - so not necessarily the good guys but maybe the best we have.”

We still don't know Control's release date but we've learned that you will discover the Service Weapon early in the game and have to overcome a trial to prove that you are the rightful wielder of the gun and the rightful director of the agency.

The Service Weapon isn’t a fixed gun. As you progress through Control, you will unlock new forms the gun can take. These will open up new attacks and abilities for you to use in combat. Couple that with the technology Remedy has been working on with its engine, Lake sys that the team “wanted to push the physics and the dynamic destruction of the environment as far as [it] possibly could.”

You can also use telekinetic powers that let you lift and throw objects with your mind, so as you break the environment you have all the debris at your disposal to hit enemies about the face with. Of course, as your enemies also have their own powers, you could also be providing them with weapons to attack you.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://www.destructoid.com/remedy-...hasis-on-gameplay-than-narrative-507966.phtml

Remedy's Control might be the studio's first major game that puts more emphasis on gameplay than narrative
2018-06-13 08:00:00by Brett Makedonski

Relinquishing control, in a way

Remedy is finally breaking free of the linear narrative formula that it has damn near perfected over the past 20+ years. For its seventh game, Control, it's wading into the waters of the open-world genre.

We were shown a 20-some-minute hands-off demo that elaborated upon how exactly Control is structured. The most notable takeaway is that it's open-world, or at least open-ended. There's a large(ish) environment that you can move about freely, eventually revisiting places and accessing new areas thanks to some abilities that are acquired further on in the story. It's seemingly a metroidvania-like bent although that term was never brought up.

The reason open-world feels like a slightly-off description is because it appears as though the majority of Control will take place indoors. Protagonist Jesse Faden has been promoted to director of the Federal Bureau of Control after the previous director died in an attack by the "otherworldly" Hiss group. Although there are other locations, Remedy confirmed that most of the game is set inside the FBC building which is hilariously named "The Oldest House."

Remedy has always known how to make one hell of an action game, and that expertise doesn't seem to be waning. There were near-constant combat sections where Faden strung together telekinetic powers and deadly aim with a pistol to mow through hordes of Hiss. The supernatural stuff is most intriguing (Remedy says Faden acquired these powers with her promotion), as it looks like a legitimate means of reformatting the environments for tactical purposes. Time-bending and some sort of force push were the major maneuvers we saw.

However, there are more abilities and it sounds as if this lends some kind of light role-playing angle. There are collectibles called artifacts that open up new abilities, presumably through a skill tree. Another ability was Levitate which seemed to be more for exploration and traversal than for combat. The player will probably have some sort of say in Faden's proficiencies.

Of course, this is still a Remedy game and that means there's going to be plenty of mystery. The reveal trailer was light on details and this presentation shed a lot more light on what Control actually is all about. But there's a whole tangled narrative that likely won't be cleared up until release.

FaceOff-noscale.jpg

We spoke with narrative lead Anna Megill and she explained how the studio hopes to tell another incredible story while somewhat switching up the format of the gameplay. "I think it has been challenging for Remedy in a lot of ways because they're all very used to telling these linear stories. It has been a learning experience," Megill said. "Remedy likes to push the envelope on things and try to do things in a different way than everyone else has done. It's not following some formulas, it's trying to find new and creative ways to tell the story and to have fun with these environmental elements. And to find new ways to deliver the narrative [...] that's going to be exciting for both us and the players."

As for why now is the time for Remedy to alter the linear narrative approach, it might have something to do with Quantum Break's reception. Megill commented "We still love Quantum Break. We think it's a great game and there are a lot of fans who are very passionate about it. I think looking forward, what we've tried to do this time is to have a more gameplay-driven experience. So we're spending a little less time on cinematics and a little more time letting the players have their own experience out in the world. Exploring and having adventures and driving the narrative their own way. I'd say that's probably our main takeaway as much as we love Quantum Break, we did hear what players were saying."

Control will release in 2019 on PC, PS4, and Xbox One.

Ezekiel

Arcane
The trailer was cool. I'm interested. I just hope it's much more a game than the bad movie game that occasionally let you shoot, Quantum Break. I also wish she had a pretty face.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is there a law that requires everyone to have female protagonists?

Jokes aside. It looks like fun. I liked Quantum.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.pcgamer.com/remedys-control-brings-rad-environmental-destruction-to-a-very-freaky-house/

Remedy's Control brings rad environmental destruction to a very freaky house
Why is that man watching a refrigerator?

Remedy's seventh game is the surrealist third-person shooter Control. You play as Jesse Faden, who stumbles into a strange, brutalist building called The Oldest House. This labyrinthine, shifting space is the headquarters of the Federal Bureau of Control, and you'll explore its many mysteries over the course of the game.

It's not a pleasant trip through a quirky office. Jesse must battle a strange force called the Hiss, which has corrupted many of the Bureau's employees. In fact, saving the Bureau is now her job: after acquiring an 'object of power'—a transforming gun—Jesse is named the new director of the FBC.

It's a bizarre premise for a hiring policy, but one that results in plenty of classic Remedy action. As director, Jesse has abilities that she can acquire and upgrade by completing quests and finding new objects of power. In a hands-off demo, we see Jesse levitate nearby rubble to form a shield and grab and throw objects in the environments at corrupted employees.

"On the engine side we have pushed the dynamic destruction of the environment as far as we possibly could so that it adds to the depth of the action experience," says creative director Sam Lake. "And many of the abilities—the supernatural powers that the main character acquires along the way—have a telekinetic nature to it, so environments will be part of your toolkit as a weapon against the enemies and for other purposes as well."

It certainly looks good—not just the amount of debris and other physics objects flying around, but also the way concrete pillars explode into satisfying chunks when shot. This crisp, dynamic destruction is part of the reason Remedy chose to construct a space in the brutalist style. But it also has roots in the world they're trying to build.

"One really early inspiration we were looking at was Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy," says Lake, "the movie with Gary Oldman. And that feel of slight detachment and control." Here Lake points to his face, adopting an expressionless look. "You need to be in control all of the time—in control of your emotions—not let anything slip. That was one of the starting points." In case you hadn't guessed, 'control' is going to be a major theme.

I point out that the Federal Bureau of Control sounds like the organisation you'd be fighting against in pretty much any work of dystopian fiction, and am rewarded with a knowing look. "You're not wrong," says Lake. "They are this secretive agency that deals with the unexplainable, and investigates it, contains it and ultimately wants to control it and use it to their own ends. By no means are they the good guys always … it's more your spy thriller approach. Questionable methods, questionable goals, but at the same time they're the best we've got."

I'm told that there's even a level of internal politics and bureaucracy running through the FBC, which I look forward to seeing play out. After the mostly straight-faced Quantum Break, Lake confirms that there will be touches of Remedy-style tongue-in-cheek humour throughout Control, and supernatural bureaucracy seems like a rich vein to tap.

In the demo, in fact, Jesse stumbles across a hapless employee in a locked cell, watching a refrigerator. He explains that nobody came to relieve him—no doubt a result of the Hiss attack—and that he must watch the object at all times or else it will "deviate." This, I'm told, is a sidequest—one of many found in Control. Depending on Jesse's actions, she can help this man, and there will be consequences depending on that choice.

The existence of sidequests is one example of how Control is less linear than previous Remedy games. The Oldest House is a space to be explored, to the point that abilities Jesse acquires, such as levitation, will let her reach new parts of areas she's previously been. The house, too, is malleable. In one scene, Jesse performs a cleansing ritual that shifts the house to let her progress. In another, she pulls a light switch and is transported to a motel. The demo ends when Jesse reaches a television set, causing the house to warp and reconstruct, going through an M.C. Escher style transformation before opening a pathway to an astral plane.

As excited as Remedy sounds about Control's combat and action, it's the weirdness of the demo that leaves me excited to see more. This brief look is packed with surreal, imaginative imagery, and I'm left wanting to know more about the world and the weird shit happening in it.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gameplay focused remedy can actually pull off great thing.

Max payne was gameplay focused while having a good story on the side.Shooting was tight, the bullet time mechanics was brilliant, amd levels and enemies were placed diligently.

Alan wake was ok. Shooting mechanics is a step down from MP, but it is atmospheric and the light mechanics is interesting for the first few hour of the game at least before they run out of enemy variety.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Let's remember 505 Games is a fairly small publisher, so this game will have to undergo compromises. Of course this can be a good thing if the priorities are set correctly.

They say less narrative, more sandbox gameplay. Can be good if handled creatively, but it can also turn out to be an utterly repetitive borefest with filler content.

Modron

Arcane
What is the point of throwing a chair at your enemy when you have a gun?
Ideally? Really sparse ammo, not that it was a great game but in I am Alive ammo was so uncommon if you expended a bullet in an unimportant fight you could get royally screwed later. That being said in this game I would wager it is more for diversity in the ways in which you can strike down opponents.

Ebonsword

Arcane
When I heard the name, I was hoping that this would be a game based around the history of Joy Division.

control-movie-poster-2007-1020419856.jpg

Leaving disappointed...

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://www.darkhorizons.com/alan-wake-developers-want-a-sequel/

Alan Wake” Developers Want A Sequel

The textbook definition of a cult hit, Remedy Entertainment’s H.P Lovecraft-inspired 2010 video game “Alan Wake” was a unique beast that blended an episodic narrative structure with a third-person psychological survival horror game involving shadow and light.

The story, about an author returning to his hometown only to discover it taken over by a malevolent dark force which also takes his wife, ended on something of a cliffhanger. While there has been talk of a sequel, nothing official has been put in motion.

Now the developers, who were busy in recent years on the game “Quantum Break” and the upcoming “Control” which was just revealed at E3, have said they very much want to do an “Alan Wake” sequel as well. DualShockers spoke with rep Mikael Kasurinen who says he can’t confirm anything at this point beyond interest:

“So, we own the Alan Wake IP, yes. I just want to say right away that it’s very dear to us and close to our hearts. We all love Alan Wake at Remedy and I think all of us want to see a new Alan Wake game. I just want to say that out loud. Unfortunately, I can’t speak to it any more than that. We’ll see what happens with Alan Wake next, but we all want to see it happen, absolutely.”

The original game had both DLC and a spin-off titled “Alan Wake’s American Nightmare,” but both fell short of being a full new game. Remedy remains focused on getting “Control” finished at present. After that though, hopefully, a return to Bright Falls is in order.

I hope so.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom