Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Control settings

Wurststulle

Novice
Hello everybody! :salute: Is there a possibility to change the right mouse key for walking around in Teudogar? My hand already starts to hurt but I still want to go on playing. Thank you for your ideas!

Wolf Mittag

Wolf Mittag Software Development
Developer
unfortunately, within the game, no (though I'll add this option eventually - thanks for the suggestion).

But perhaps you could temporarily swap your mouse keys using Windows' Control Panel / Mouse Settings - I think there's an option to treat the left mouse button as right and vice versa. Set this, play Teudogar, then restore Windows mouse settings to normal?

Wolf Mittag

Wolf Mittag Software Development
Developer
As to DARGHUL (and perhaps future versions of Teudogar) I'm not really sure about the best way to navigate the game world, anyway.

If I'm using a mouse, I obviously want to use the left key for Look/Pick Up/Move/Attack, and (being a control freak) I prefer my character not to automatically start walking somewhere just because I single-left-clicked on an object to learn what it is. That's the main reason why I like (and stuck to) Ultima's system of left = look, right = walk.

Though I'm considering using just mouse hovering for looking (cursor over anything for a second, info gets displayed automatically, without click). That'd leave the left key free for Walk+Use.

However, with mice slowly starting to grow extinct (tablets, touch screens etc), hovering may also become obsolete at some point in the future, and maybe it'll actually make sense to simplify everything to an Only-Left-Mouse-Button system (left click (or perhaps double-click) = Walk to where clicked; left click = Look at what you clicked on (if you stand next to it) OR Attack if it's an enemy; double click = Use; Drag&Drop = Move).

Or maybe, for walking, left-click on your character and then drag in any direction for walking (maybe in addition to (double-)click somewhere = walk there). With a tablet, that would feel most similar to what the current system is like, as it'd also let you control your walking speed (the further your finger away from your character, the faster).
(What I also find quite convenient for walking is to simply tilt the tablet in the direction you want to go; however, that's not universally supported.)

For Look/Use/Talk etc it might also be possible, if one wants more control, to open a combined info+command window whenever you click on anything, which would let you choose what to do with what/whom you clicked on (look closer, talk, attack, pickpocket,etc). However, to me this would feel more like administration work / sorting stuff with Windows Explorer, than an actual game, because I think it'd make immersion much more difficult (any action will feel less immediate when triggerd via a menu rather than just launched with a single click/move, which feels much more akin to actually performing the action).

The present Combat system would also be messed up by a left-mouse-only system or conversion to tablet-compatible controls, as it currently relies heavily on hovering to display info. Maybe change to left-click = detailed look/menu, left-double-click = immediate attack. And maybe for systems without mouse cursor, display CharacterNotHostile-warning symbol and LifeEnergy-Bar above each characters head when in combat mode (though I really think that's stupid and ugly), and as to the other status icons (bleeding, cursed, etc), well, forgo these, or only display for the most recently attacked/looked at character, or left-click/look if you need to know.

Anybody any opinion/preferences on this overall topic? What's your preferred way to walk, look, use thinks, talk, attack?

Donnerstag

Novice
I've got an idea. Do you know the game "Divine Divinity"? It has exactly the control settings I would prefer also for teudogar.

I. e. one click nearby: walking to the desired point.
one click far away: running to the clicked point
Hold left mousekey near hero: walking into the desired direction
hold left mousekey away from hero: running into the desired direction
click and hold on item: move them, use items in inventory
click an not hold the mousekey to move: use items directly

And so on, I don't know all from my mind but it worked very well for me.

Severian Silk

Does anyone have a list of all the control bindings? Thanks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom