Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Contra - Revenge of the Red Falcon

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Just wanted to stop in and post this because this is a great game modification of an awesome classic, Contra! The author Trax has redesigned all the levels, raised the difficulty, and also added some new enemy behavior to the original. For those of you who think you are real good at the original, you may want to give this ROM hack a go!

Link to latest patch!!

http://www.bwass.org/romhack/contra/contrademo8.ips

Link to Trax's website!

Last edited:

Dev_Anj

Learned
That's actually not a bad idea. I would absolutely love some of the self proclaimed hardened veterans here fail embarrassingly at some old school platformers/ ROM hacks/ what have you. Imagine the shock if one of them loses all their lives in Kirby, for instance. :D

Last edited:

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Im pretty good at Contra ( No bragging! :D ) but this is just painful to try to survive through... The difficulty on this is ramped up real high! Give it a try to see for yourself. ( No 30 life code :P )

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
You just know that when some dude obsessed with contra creates a mod, it's going to be insanely hard. My favorite Contra is SuperC though, I've played the shit out of that one.

I managed to 100% Contra DS, which is a big enough feat for my Contra lifetime.

What a shame the series is pretty much dead, though. Hard Corps: Uprising was the last Contra game, and it was good mechanically but animu garbage.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I got extraordinarily good at Contra in law school, but I am almost certain that it wouldn't help here because it was largely just pattern recollection and timing (for example, I could beat the entire first level of Contra while maintaining eye contact with the professor and being on the receiving end of a Socratic inquisition).

Machocruz

Arcane
Why does he skip weapon power ups? To increase the challenge?

Anyway, I think every maker of today's action games need to go back and brush up on fundamentals by studying Contra games, especially Alien Wars and Hard Corps (the real one, not Animuprising).

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Why does he skip weapon power ups? To increase the challenge?

The guy is a show-off. He also kills many of them with just one bullet/shot. Reminds me of when I was trying to finish shinobi using only the sword attack.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Mercury Steam (Castlevania Lords of Shadow) is teasing a new project on their website. Looks like a new Contra game.

http://www.mercurysteam.com/

mercurysteamtease_610.jpg

Mcin

Novice
Well, I've just beaten it! And attempting to record the ending, I moved a console which caused a reset...
Nevertheless, my thumb hurts, and I'm still proud of myself.
Played on original Famicom AV with Everdrive N8 pro.
index.php

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom