Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Consoletard reviewer finds Shadowrun too old-school, complicated

thesisko

Emissary
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Shadowrun Returns clearly draws influence from an old set of RPG mechanics and rules, and that nostalgia sometimes presents itself in unappealing ways...you’ll need to click through a massive info dump covering battle steps and skill progression.
Returns’ problem with information overload continues when you start talking to nonplayer characters and accepting quests...it’s difficult for many people to commit massive chucks of information to memory in one go.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/07/26/shadowrun-returns-review/

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Jasmine Maleficent Rea

0ffde18ce8d4821e3e91019576dc85e4

She's right that the game needs a manual though.

NotTale

Learned
There are massive infodumps about rules? The games tells you jack about rules, that's one of its problems.

But did you see the help screen? It's big! That must mean it has tons of info!

Flacracker

Educated
I’m incredibly sorry if the only memories you have of Shadowrun relate to the competitive shooter released on Xbox 360 in 2007. In retrospect, that game’s sole purpose was to give the world a Halo 3 demo and not reintroduce a beloved cyberpunk role-playing franchise.

It was Crackdown that had the Halo 3 beta...

likaq

Arcane
I don't mean to be an asshole and I fully believe that woman are and can be equal if not better at a lot of things but then again, some women do really belong to the kitchen.

:troll:

kenup

Scholar
Codex 2014
There are massive infodumps about rules? The games tells you jack about rules, that's one of its problems.
That's what I thought.
Even quests are just "go there", "do that".

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh wow. There is so much wrong with this review, but I think the worst offender is this:
You might not enjoy this because it doesn’t coddle you, but it does have a silver lining: Learning to craft a story through basic windows and check boxes is an invaluable tool for aspiring game developers. If you can get a grip on this, you’re one step closer to maybe making games on your own.

Protip: if you don't like the editor because it is too complex and doesn't have enough handholding, you shouldn't even fucking think of making games.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I guess the 5 sentances at the beginning of the flashback counts as a massive infodump these days. Readding is teh hard.

fanta

Arcane
I've found that the frequency of using the word 'nostalgia' is strongly correlated with being a cretin. Not that she even knows how to use the word properly. "Shadowrun Returns clearly draw[ing] influence from an old set of RPG mechanics and rules" cannot be a nostalgia because nostalgia is a feeling. That's a design principle.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
YOU HAVE TO BE FUCKING KIDDING ME
FUCK THIS I HATE MY WEEKEND
GOOD FUCKING JOB thesisko

Emissary my ass; you had to find this and make me rage.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
I don't mean to be an asshole and I fully believe that a very tiny minority of woman can be almost equal at a lot of things but then again, most women do really belong to the kitchen.

:troll:
Fixed for you.

Shadenuat

Arcane
What I didn’t glean from the tutorial was that the karma points I earned through completing objectives were actually what I needed to dump into my stats
(starts new game)
(picks class)
(gets a huge screen "SPEND YOUR KARMA" "...karma represents your experience...")

Yeah, I... I am very white knight, but...

...kitchen.

but, she did give it 85/100. It means 3.5/5 out there today, right?

NotTale

Learned
(starts new game)
(picks class)
(gets a huge screen "SPEND YOUR KARMA" "...karma represents your experience...")

Yeah, I... I am very white knight, but...

...kitchen.

This person has trouble with simple instructions. What makes you think she can cook?

The article just kind of strikes me as surreal. I can get things like not understanding how the base stats effect the substats. That confused me for all of 2 seconds when I tried placing a point and didn't get anywhere. I can understand not getting the controls. Or complaining that it's too simple in this instance.

But the accusations here don't even make sense. This is too old school with too big a tutorial? I'm reminded of Yahtzee complaining about Witcher because the manual was too thick.

FFS I'm totally breaking out the banana rum tonight.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Jesus fuck this review was written by a moron. Literally everything is explained with easy-to-read pop-up text. How can you get so confused by this? Is this reviewer illiterate?

J1M

Arcane
how did this game get made so quickly? seems like only a year since the kickstarter
It is almost as if they believed in the project and had started it before begging for money on the Internet.

So is this game any good? (As an RPG, I don't have any fondness for the setting.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom