Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Conquest of Elysium 4

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
They start coming back to the Portal's ruins and get a fuckton of Sinners, and they sacrifice them to re-open the portal again.

A special army has to be gathered then. They must protect the portal ruins with their lives til the end of times. :salute:

Why do I never have this event? I want demon apocalypse too.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hades seems positively inviting compared to the Void and Hell. I have only been to Hades, but in my experience I just ran into somewhat dangerous mobs of undead. There was a citadel down there, so I think you can conquer Hades and hang out there while the AI in Elysium battles it out.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
So, I kinda took over Inferno.

Duke of Hell is dead, so is everyone else. Watcher watches dirt. Infernal Capitalum sacked and whatnot.

I gotta tells ya, it ain't easy. Don't dream about taking refuge in Inferno, that shit ain't gonna work. Didn't even use the portal (good thing Inferno is full of old battle sites...). All inferno mobs spawn with four stars experience, good luck going in with a human army. At least a living human army...

Old Duke goatfucker was a serious pain in he ass for necromancer army. Should've brought some white wizards, but they don't seem to survive too long when you spam battlefield-wide death spells.

A real shame that the game didn't recognize my feat in any way, still had to hunt down the last dwarves hiding in a mine.

:0/5: buy tickets to Void instead

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
The suffering continues.

Grimwulf is alive and almost sane again. That's unexpected.

girnqodoay.jpg

Awright, Nexus, here I come!

zkvaprxzya.jpg

Wat? Why? Dayyalu, Lizzurd and sqeecoo came through the same gate! HEY!

And I lack 1 action point to reach any of those guard towers. Please don't amush me, game...

etjijbmkpx.jpg

Oh, for fucks sake.

GRIMWULF - the mighty conqueror of the Void, summoner of the Old Ones, the only mortal person who managed to traverse the Void and come back - was shot by four bandits right in front of his own guard tower. Dem horrors sure have a sense of humor. Fffffuuu

:x

Oh, well. Meanwhile in the Nexus. The only thing I can recruit here is obviously Yetis.

myhbhiboou.jpg

I mean, what else did you expect to find here?

Anyway, Lizzurd, sqeecoo and the army of Pillars bravely went forth, engaging those wheel things.

efbksfbsef.jpg

ujgxfqislu.jpg

Ok. I will be honest here. That was painful.

anzlnflyqp.jpg

ydjxdnvjfp.jpg

yqcdrekbdq.jpg

uflqbsyzth.jpg

Eventually, Lizzurd fatality'd the last wheel and won this massacre.

btpxqenpqs.jpg

But at what cost, men? At what cost.

nvdxbqhpgd.jpg

Once again it's time to make a step into the unknown.

dtgowrptlg.jpg

If we end up back in Elysium after all that, I swear...

hlkvxdrvsi.jpg

Oh, so that's what those distant gateways were all about. Huh.

fotdqowfhh.jpg

I guess we are in air elemental plane. We can walk the clouds?

ecfbqvxcae.jpg

Not all of us, apparently. Water-lovin' sqeecoo lost his wits right away. Lizzurd is not known for his patience, so he continued to fly without sqeecoo.

kucnqjyads.jpg

Syphs, cloud elementals...

eqouhebbib.jpg

Ohh, Champions of Storms. Interesting.

Oh fuck, another attack.

wqluruzktz.jpg

A whole bunch of Sylphs. Ethereal spellcasters that also use an aoe attack in melee range.

pnivqcetqn.jpg

But it's actually fine - Lizzurd won without significant losses, only scratches here and there. Let's move on. Sqeecoo gets a grip and rejoins Lizzurd.

atgjplweyz.jpg

A cloud... forest? And that movement cost, just wow. Ok then, we gotta split up. Lizzurd will check out the forest with his army, and sqeecoo tries to scout the area around it.

eujnsfvccy.jpg

Bullseye. Well done, sqeecoo - you've found what we were looking for. The Cloud Citadel.

rqjnkfcojo.jpg

Fortified Thunderbirds are challenging enough on their own.

efwskotfmu.jpg

But the Queen of Thunder? Gods have mercy on poor Lizzurd and sqeecoo.

tcsyuranqa.jpg

Storm Magic level four - what?

ztjlboyiom.jpg

I see. But it's not like there are any lvl 4 spells, right? Right?

The traits are interesting too.

sgdezfkfzb.jpg

ndjktnrxiz.jpg

I have a bad feelining about this. If I was a betting men, my money would not go on Lizzurd.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Final chapter of this trippy experience.

In the beginning of the whole mess I mentioned that I was about to win this game - the last AI was cornered and beaten to dust. But then I left him alone to travel into the Void, and AI had plenty of time to recover. Which he did. The sheer stupidity ballz of AI are impressive - to attack the Old Ones like that.

fhdnhqhodo.jpg

Well, tbh, High Cultist is pretty op. Very random ofc (nearly all summons will just kill the summoner straight away), but with a bit of luck it's very easy to play.

jaqsdkhqwl.jpg

The Old Ones will either kill all your enemies, or the whole world.

Meanwhile in HEAVAN

yzkbmtjjiq.jpg

Thunder Queen's spell list is revealed. No lvl 4 spells. Yay?

jsdbjyenlh.jpg

Well, the spells are still brutal. But Storm Magic 4 is not as scary as it seemed at first.

Dem birds, though...

knaxuxkrny.jpg

AWRIGHT, WE CAME TO CONQUER! ENDURE THIS SHIT!

dfuqunoqss.jpg

3 casts of Storm Wind? PHAH, it's nothing.

Wait... 3 casts.. of Storm Wind?

hhruhrclvm.jpg

Lizzurd one-shots the gate, but I barely notice it right now.

Storm Winds is a lvl 2 spell. A lvl 2 mage can cast it once per combat round. A lvl 3 mage can cast it twice. Being a lvl 4 mage, the Queen of Thunder casts it three times per round. That's disturbing.

That means that...

rxnxwqafqf.jpg

HOLY SHIIIIEET

kxocvttroi.jpg

STAHP PLEASE STAHP

qfmlfpdbrn.jpg

Phew. What? "Queen of Thunder casts Gale"? AGAIN? DOUBLE CAST OF GALE?!

pwchxepxst.jpg

JESUS! FUCK! SHIT! Lizzurd, do something dammit!

agezylmswv.jpg

That... was not impressive.

aezgxexjlr.jpg

Triple Chain Lightning. Will it ever stop?

inkznkqpej.jpg

Chain Lightning wasn't so bad, after all.

ruolabuzuf.jpg

Hue hue hue. Nice try, Lizzurd. Nice try.

vujwupuaet.jpg

MOTHERFUCKER, JUST STOP ALREADY YOU BITCH, FUCK!

wdmnskivko.jpg

Oh come on, Lizzurd - it doesn't fucking work! Deal some damage, ffs!

tntpatetml.jpg

... Yeah well. Some damage indeed.

bqvzdfcpqk.jpg

Seriously, those chain castings start to really piss me off. I had an ARMY OF ELITE UNITS, dammit!

rdiiewqsic.jpg

Show her who's boss, sqeecoo!

cernyofbwk.jpg

Keep dreaming, Lizzurd!

eoavdtbfjm.jpg

I mean, she kills her own troops! Fuck me!

FINISH HER FOR THE LOVE OF THE OLD GODS!

cjwatbaozc.jpg

rncfmzapzm.jpg

wocvnzzygo.jpg

pavbzggxpz.jpg

:yeah:

So. Lizzurd and sqeecoo made it. Let's see what's left of the army.

tshmyyalzs.jpg

:negative:

Why? Why did I come here? What did we fight for?

wgojrrrhgy.jpg

Okaaay. I guess. Would be even better if I had a storm mage. What, that's it? No other loot?

qrtixpbfwe.jpg

Oh, recruitment offer from Sylphs. Expensive as fucks, but that would be ok. If not for a single MINOR INCONVINIENCE - I can only recruit them here, in this elemental plane!

kmtoqcqjmr.jpg

Seriously? I don't even know how to git the fuck out of here! Neither do I have any troops left to try and find out. I can recruit a single Yeti each turn of course (what's the deal with Yetis? Why are they fookin' everywhere?).

Allright, men - that's the end of story. I'm gonna finish off last AI with what I have in Elysium. Lizzurd and sqeecoo will stay in the Cloud Citadel til the end of times.

jbxlerhbgr.jpg

Sure, this plane drives sqeecoo crazy, so it probably won't be long until he suicides or smth. But Lizzurd actually likes it here. He can INVADE MINDS of Yetis all day, every day.

Morale of the story: I don't even

Mortmal

Arcane
Seems like the game is way better than expected then.
Ive got it too, its not obvious looking at the videos and screneshots, but it plays a lot better than COE 3 . A bit expensive , but if i am not going to buy it at release, whos going to.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Final chapter of this trippy experience.

In the beginning of the whole mess I mentioned that I was about to win this game - the last AI was cornered and beaten to dust. But then I left him alone to travel into the Void, and AI had plenty of time to recover. Which he did. The sheer stupidity ballz of AI are impressive - to attack the Old Ones like that.

fhdnhqhodo.jpg

Well, tbh, High Cultist is pretty op. Very random ofc (nearly all summons will just kill the summoner straight away), but with a bit of luck it's very easy to play.

jaqsdkhqwl.jpg

The Old Ones will either kill all your enemies, or the whole world.

Meanwhile in HEAVAN

yzkbmtjjiq.jpg

Thunder Queen's spell list is revealed. No lvl 4 spells. Yay?

jsdbjyenlh.jpg

Well, the spells are still brutal. But Storm Magic 4 is not as scary as it seemed at first.

Dem birds, though...

knaxuxkrny.jpg

AWRIGHT, WE CAME TO CONQUER! ENDURE THIS SHIT!

dfuqunoqss.jpg

3 casts of Storm Wind? PHAH, it's nothing.

Wait... 3 casts.. of Storm Wind?

hhruhrclvm.jpg

Lizzurd one-shots the gate, but I barely notice it right now.

Storm Winds is a lvl 2 spell. A lvl 2 mage can cast it once per combat round. A lvl 3 mage can cast it twice. Being a lvl 4 mage, the Queen of Thunder casts it three times per round. That's disturbing.

That means that...

rxnxwqafqf.jpg

HOLY SHIIIIEET

kxocvttroi.jpg

STAHP PLEASE STAHP

qfmlfpdbrn.jpg

Phew. What? "Queen of Thunder casts Gale"? AGAIN? DOUBLE CAST OF GALE?!

pwchxepxst.jpg

JESUS! FUCK! SHIT! Lizzurd, do something dammit!

agezylmswv.jpg

That... was not impressive.

aezgxexjlr.jpg

Triple Chain Lightning. Will it ever stop?

inkznkqpej.jpg

Chain Lightning wasn't so bad, after all.

ruolabuzuf.jpg

Hue hue hue. Nice try, Lizzurd. Nice try.

vujwupuaet.jpg

MOTHERFUCKER, JUST STOP ALREADY YOU BITCH, FUCK!

wdmnskivko.jpg

Oh come on, Lizzurd - it doesn't fucking work! Deal some damage, ffs!

tntpatetml.jpg

... Yeah well. Some damage indeed.

bqvzdfcpqk.jpg

Seriously, those chain castings start to really piss me off. I had an ARMY OF ELITE UNITS, dammit!

rdiiewqsic.jpg

Show her who's boss, sqeecoo!

cernyofbwk.jpg

Keep dreaming, Lizzurd!

eoavdtbfjm.jpg

I mean, she kills her own troops! Fuck me!

FINISH HER FOR THE LOVE OF THE OLD GODS!

cjwatbaozc.jpg

rncfmzapzm.jpg

wocvnzzygo.jpg

pavbzggxpz.jpg

:yeah:

So. Lizzurd and sqeecoo made it. Let's see what's left of the army.

tshmyyalzs.jpg

Why? Why did I come here? What did we fight for?

wgojrrrhgy.jpg

Okaaay. I guess. Would be even better if I had a storm mage. What, that's it? No other loot?

qrtixpbfwe.jpg

Oh, recruitment offer from Sylphs. Expensive as fucks, but that would be ok. If not for a single MINOR INCONVINIENCE - I can only recruit them here, in this elemental plane!

kmtoqcqjmr.jpg

Seriously? I don't even know how to git the fuck out of here! Neither do I have any troops left to try and find out. I can recruit a single Yeti each turn of course (what's the deal with Yetis? Why are they fookin' everywhere?).

Allright, men - that's the end of story. I'm gonna finish off last AI with what I have in Elysium. Lizzurd and sqeecoo will stay in the Cloud Citadel til the end of times.

jbxlerhbgr.jpg

Sure, this plane drives sqeecoo crazy, so it probably won't be long until he suicides or smth. But Lizzurd actually likes it here. He can INVADE MINDS of Yetis all day, every day.

Morale of the story: I don't even

Ahh, I demand you go to the other planes!

Loving it, CoE4 is top stuff. I sort of wish they took a survival approach, where the player competed against the wild and explored these areas. As it is, fundamentally you fight other characters who are the same as you but controlled by AI.

Last edited:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Call Lightning and Chain Lightning can be absolutely murderous against the right enemy. I killed a dragon with a single call lightning once.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Made my way into Hades. Lasted a few turns.

My lead necromancer died on my second turn, but I decided to continue and that was a smart move. I was close to an ancient castle, and my back-up necromancer got the ability to turn into a vampire.

Leader.jpg

He proceeded to spend the whole game beating everyone to a pulp. Notice the number of kills.

Anyway, while I exploring the overworld I found an interesting site that had this monster:

purpleworm.jpg

I didn't engage because by this time my vampire leader was just walking around alone, and the worm has an attack called "swallow" which sounds a bit lethal.

I did kill an entire mountain-range worth of dwarves, though, and took over a gold mine. My income was through the roof until a random event dumped this on my doorstep:

trollking.jpg

I never bothered retaking the mine because by this time I controlled everything. So, after a couple of greater rituals my vampire learnt how to shift into the underworld permanently.

Here's the first notable character I met:

Mayor.jpg

Not very tough, killed him quickly. Then I found this fellow and all his friends:

Killer.jpg

Who proceeded to stomp on my face. Vampires get resurrected even if their home is on another plane... right?!?

At any rate, the game ended the next turn because the final AI, who I had bottled up, proceeded to lose his last general in a fight.

noisenerd

Learned
Patron
BattleTech
Dammit men! You're making it hard for me to resist not waiting for a sale.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
I'm liking the Druid faction a lot. Herbs are very plentiful, so you really can hunker down in the forests and create massive armies of wild beasts.

Their units probably aren't the greatest late game, you still can't sneeze at a front line of gryphons. I also like the strategic rituals; scouting and claiming land early is easier with the scout crows, and faery paths lets you leap across the map and take a new area whenever an ancient forest is discovered. Every ancient forest is a chance to cast multiple enchantments like shepherd of the forest, too, which keep you safe from anything but a concerted AI attack.

I'm currently playing a large map, 3 AI Marquis difficulty, druid game in the time of the Fallen Empire. I'm still building up my forces, but hopefully I can find a gateway to the underworld at somepoint.

Edit: my game is in a weird spot where I have about 6 ancient forests with 3 enchantments a piece, so I own every fores tile on the map and countless ai-controlled swarms of shepherds constantly spawning. The 3 Marquis AI, meanwhile, are all alive and they just war around the edges of the forests. It's like a massive stalemate.

My herb income is over 200 a turn, though, and I just summoned the deer god. I'll try and break the gridlock tomorrow.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Problem with Druid units is that while they are easy to get and pretty strong for the price you pay, they end up having limited options for ranged and magical units. Having mostly melee only units that are susceptible for every kind of harmful magical effect isn't very good.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
I visited the "inferno" and lived to tell the tale.

After casting a full set of enchantments on about 8 ancient forests, the map started to look like this:

sheperdswarm.jpg

The Senator faction had built a lot of watchtowers and packed them to the gills with ballistas, so I made a lot of legendary animal swarms and started cleaning up. Playing as the Druids, I figured it would be impossible to enter any other planes. However, right as I was about to win, a door to inferno opened.

It dropped a medium-strength ice demon army, which I proceeded to beat down with ease. Then I decided to put my overworld conquests on hold and see what was waiting for me in Hell.

peakinside.jpg

I sent a beholder and about 6 griffins through first, as I had heard that Inferno had lava tiles that would incinerate anyone that tried to walk around without resistances. As you can see, though, the reality was a little different. Also, it seems the devil's headquarters was immediately next to the gateway; how convenient.

Geryon.jpg

Meh, no big deal, right? Wrong. I failed to consider what level 3 command magic would entail, although I guess I didn't have much access to mindless/high MR units, anyway.

I emptied all the wildlife reserves and marched the menagerie straight into hell:

wildlifereserve.jpg

Almost all the major creatures were charmed by Geryon, as were a lot of the minor creatures, so my army basically slaughtered itself. I still managed to win, though; I don't think there's much that can beat multiple beholders, a deer god, and about 10 casters when they having an impenetrable wall of animals in front of them.

Hellhasfrozenover.jpg

Hell has indeed frozen over.

So, as an epilogue, there was a shallow body of water down south. I didn't have any flying leaders or water breathers (I guess floating doesn't let you cross water?), but am I right in suspecting that there are other parts of Inferno across that lake? What did I miss out on?

Last edited:

Dayyālu

Arcane
My Senator game ended not properly, with my armies sacrificing themselves to hold the endless tide of demons. Only one army with 9 Hellhounds was left, but the costant drain of keeping the guard up was too much, and the other two AIs ammassed an astounding number of chaff, particularly the AI Priestess, and there is little you can do when you get a 1:1 Anakite - Legionary ratio.

So I got the Imperial cap, and got a cozy Coronation, and waited for the end to come.

tdtuhm.jpg

Pity I can't test those rituals. Next game, maybe.

Stock Human factions are easy to use, but bar mages they hit soon their power limits. Barons have at least endless troops from the levy, but the legiones have only guts and discipline.....

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
but the legiones have only guts and discipline.....

If you're lucky enough to have a few Ancients Forests within reach, those satyr+maenad freespawn actually help a little. They roam around, engaging small enemy and indy bands and sorta keeping things peaceful.

But yeah, Senator mostly relies on his strong economy.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
If you burn forests with the Warlock's Fire King (just walk him over a forest) you get these semi-powerful ranged fire units from it. Bretty neat. Just managed to win a game with the Warlock with all 4 elemental nobility. It was an otherwise easy victory except some faggots kept opening the gates to inferno and the whole world was overrun with demons. I swear once that gate is opened the whole game goes to shit.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
If you burn forests with the Warlock's Fire King (just walk him over a forest) you get these semi-powerful ranged fire units from it. Bretty neat. Just managed to win a game with the Warlock with all 4 elemental nobility. It was an otherwise easy victory except some faggots kept opening the gates to inferno and the whole world was overrun with demons. I swear once that gate is opened the whole game goes to shit.

If my theory about inferno is right and it's separated into different caves/divisions, then maybe the strength of the attack depends on which part of inferno has the gate. In my above post, the initial inferno army was kind of weak; either Geryon found Elysium boring, or it's just a matter of immediately finding the gate and shutting it.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
On my game the portal opened while I was in inferno. The stack I put over the portal topside didn't ever get attacked.

Well, the fact that every duke and lord of hell was dead soon after might've had something to do with that...

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Also, for those not in the know: use the load option --battlereports

So much better. Now I just wish they had a battle stats screen as well.

Loving the Pale Ones, too. Octopus standing outside your base, just off the coast? No worries, send your massive starting hero into the oceans and go one-hit kill it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom