Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Confessions of a Consoletard

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I've seen Red Dead Redemption played and my son likes a similar game. Can you point me at the pros and cons?
It's been 4 years since I played it, so I can't go into too much detail. The game does has a great story, the shootan is fun, and it's got a huge world with a good amount of variety. The only complaint I remember is that you spend some time doing actual cowboy stuff - taming horses, herding cattle and the like. I didn't mind it too much, since I found it added verisimilitude, but I can see how people might get bored with it.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Red Dead Redemption felt to me like a GTA-style Max Payne (1&2) set in the wild west. It's not linear like Max Payne, it's a typical GTA style sand box with missions (including optional stuff, raising your skills and doing other stuff like that which is not required for completion) scattered around the map, but the story, characters, atmosphere and voice acting were great (hence the Max Payne comparison). The mood is quite solemn because it's set in the time period when the wild west frontier days were starting to die and you got this feeling that the world around is you evolving and you're going to be left behind and be the last of your kind. It's still all around around very wild west-y, only one "big" modern city and I think there's only one car in the entire game.
It also had a really cool trailer

Too bad the sequel was a fucking zombie game. Great idea, let's make a fairly authentic western experience where you'll grow attached to characters and feel "sad" when they die. THEN LETS ADD IN SOME ZOMBIES YO SHIT SONNNN :retarded:

Though you're a fag if you don't try the incline games (Demon's Souls and Disgaea and possibly other SRPGs) before diving into third person action adventure emotion simulators. Oh and Red Dead Redemption is not a fucking PS3 exclusive

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
How old is your son ? While RDD is not as nihilistic and amoral as GTA, it's not that far behind.

Anyway.

The best thing about RDD is the open world and the stuff you can do in it outside of the main story quests. You have the "stranger" sub-quests where you find various strangers around and get involved with their stories, the bounty hunting missions, the specific area challenges where for instance you get into shootouts in abandoned towns with desperados, the animal hunting challenges that eventually lead you to hunting the legendary beasts, the various events that randomly occur along the way where you can help strangers in need, or hunt convicts, or get ambushed by bandits. Finding and taming horses was also pretty fun, trying to discover that really good steed among the rest. Herding indeed were the only boring missions, but at least they were few.

My all time favorite was the treasure hunts where you searched for pieces of treasure, by using clues from maps. The cool thing was that you needed to find certain landmarks and decipher where exactly the treasure was hidden. The exploration and clue-deciphering felt great. And that brings me to best feature of RDD, which is the world structure. It just feels great to navigate the setting. Each area has its landmarks, its wildlife and flaura, and it really feels like the wild west. You can fast-travel between regions, but most of the time I preferred to travel the landscape by horse because of the great atmosphere.

And the goddamned Texas hold'em was fucking great. I was amazed at how good the AI was for a what is essentially a minigame. I spent a lot of time playing poker in RDD and fact that you can also cheat, and get caught, was pretty fun. The rest of the minigames were subpar.

The writing is top-notch, especially the dialog, and it serves as to put you into the general atmosphere of the time and place, which is one of the last untamed regions of America where the government is trying to move in and the bordering Mexico, which is in constant revolution turmoil. I had some problems with the main plot at times, but all and all it was pretty good. Most of the characters were interesting and well written.

The gunplay was solid, as much sold as it can be in a console game.

BTW: When I'm talking about exclusives I basically mean console exclusives (= not PC)

Khor1255

Arcane
Open gameworld is what I was hoping to hear. It looked to me like it had that, but never having played I didn't know for sure.

These are very cool reviews by the way. Thank you.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
HD Remakes:

- Okami HD (!!!)
- Jak & Dexter Collection
- Sly Cooper Collection
- Shadow of the Colossus
- Kingdom Hearts Remix

PS3:
- GTA V
- Red Dead Redemption
- Skate
- Valkyrie Chronicles
- Yakuza
- 3D Dot Game Heroes
- The Last of Us
- Demon's Souls
- Disgaea 3 + 4
- Disgaea D2
- Catherine
- God of War III
- Little Big Planet 1 + 2
- Ratchet & Clank
- Tales of Xillia
- The Guided Fate Paradox
- Bayonetta
- Dragon's Dogma

Tehdagah

Arcane
Red Dead Redemption has health auto regen, aim-assist and popamole combat.

Play a Ratchet & Clank game instead

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Be advised that shit often runs poorly on the PS3 compared to the Xbox360, and by poorly, I mean under 30 FPS. Depends on how sensitive you are to choppy framerates, but it bothered the hell out of me in Dragon's Dogma for example, which is otherwise very much worth playing, if somewhat of a flawed gem. RDD supposedly suffers from this as well, although I haven't played it myself.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
RDR have better controls and aiming, combat than GTA (of course doesn't denied the console roots aka pad control, yuck).

You should consider Nier. Most bizzare game on consoles RPG (not sure if new Drakensang 3 is comparable) I've ever seen with some pretty fucked up situations.
And some Wizardry games (before they went full retardMMO).
What else?
Gran Turismo. I'm not a fan of racing games (played only Carmageddons and drive in GTA series) but that game should be good choice.
Some sRPG games like Valkyrie Chronicles or Disgaea. Don't worry about weaboo, you already bought PS3.
Still - buying PS3 without checking games library is high lever of siliness...

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Be advised that shit often runs poorly on the PS3 compared to the Xbox360, and by poorly, I mean under 30 FPS. Depends on how sensitive you are to choppy framerates, but it bothered the hell out of me in Dragon's Dogma for example, which is otherwise very much worth playing, if somewhat of a flawed gem. RDD supposedly suffers from this as well, although I haven't played it myself.

RDD seemed fine on my PS3.

Dragon's Dogma's overworld suffers somewhat on the PS3, but in darker areas it looks vastly superior to the Xbox version. Also, it means not giving microshit any money.

Khor1255

Arcane
I can't really get the appeal of GTA. I mean, except for cool graphics it's just like one of those lucid dreams where it's the normal hum drum world but you realize you can do anything with no consequence.

Am I missing something?

Khor1255

Arcane
Yes, it's stupid to get stuff for your kids just because they want it...

I suppose a self centered faggot would never understand that concept.

Raise your kids on PC gaming and Nintendo like a proper man should. :obviously:
No dummy. Sometimes you have to give them what THEY want. They've been asking for these games for over a year so I knew it wasn't some passing interest.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
No dummy. Sometimes you have to give them what THEY want. They've been asking for these games for over a year so I knew it wasn't some passing interest.

You're giving your kids what they want instead of what's best for them and you're calling ME the dummy?

Khor1255

Arcane
No, I'm calling you a self centered faggot. They already play PC games.

Ebonsword

Arcane

RDD seemed fine on my PS3.

Dragon's Dogma's overworld suffers somewhat on the PS3, but in darker areas it looks vastly superior to the Xbox version. Also, it means not giving microshit any money.

The Xbox version also had a lot of screen-tearing, from what I remember.

Damn, all of this talk of Dragon's Dogma makes me want to replay it (for, like, the fifth time).

I would totally buy a PS4 just to play it again, if they released a version that let you play at true 1080p and 30 fps+.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom