Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Conan Exiles - Funcom strikes again

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Looks like a better ARK set in Hyboria universe.
I'm sold.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bester, it's supposedly going to be buy2play. The fact that there's even a moniker for what should be a standard commercial transaction is an abomination.
Don't be a dink. It's a persistent multiplayer game requiring servers, maintenance, and ongoing support. This is not a game you can buy, download, unplug your modem, and play. The "standard transaction" for a game with this structure is the old subscription model. A new term was needed to denote a departure from that presumptive standard.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
This is the kind of game that is going to make me wish that they had spent their time and effort in making a real game and not another minecrafter. :negative:

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Era of themepark MMO's is ending. Now we're in the middle of sandbox-survival-somethings era. I wonder what comes next. :P

But still, I love Conan lore so I'll probably watch it closely and if it doesn't suck - buy it.

Mortmal

Arcane
Looks nice indeed, i played their first conan already , was fun but theme park mmos dont last more than one month or 2 at best . Now this one looks like a better Ark survival, will definitively plays it if thats the case. My biggest worry is the player population, you know how toxic pvp community can be.
How will they cope with the massive influx of players the first days ? Will we have instances with limited number of players? Remember darkfall release, and it was not looking nearly as good than this.

jungl

Augur
my favorite moment in the conan mmo was ninjang a item the group leader wanted and having her rage at me and booted me from the group and my entire party kill me. How will funcom recreate that here?

DeepOcean

Arcane
Really hope there isn't alot of grind on this game, really liked the idea of Ark but the idea of spending hours cutting trees is for someone that have so much time that they can waste with BS.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Really hope there isn't alot of grind on this game, really liked the idea of Ark but the idea of spending hours cutting trees is for someone that have so much time that they can waste with BS.

All they need to do is put a wide array of custom server rules to tailor the game to your own liking.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Cutting trees? You mean by your own hands? Hah, what a pleb. Real men cut trees with their mammoths.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Cutting trees? You mean by your own hands? Hah, what a pleb. Real men cut trees with their mammoths.
You cut alot of trees by yourself when your tribe is made of low level casual newbies and the mammoth require a pretty high level and a ton of patience to tame and waiting an hour for a progress bar to fill isn't my idea of fun, I got bored with that game by that time. Hope Conan is most focused on killing other players and destroying bases, that was the fun part of Ark but you had to put up with a ton of bullshit to do that.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Yeah, the levelling bullshit in ARK was terribad. I'd like to see levels, but not such bullshit that you need to train your fucking animals and they have stats and what not so your T-Rex looking exactly the same as the other T-Rex, can take 5 of them by himself.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
AoC was glorious. I still remember an Arena quest trigger in Tarantia being fucked, their repeated attempts to fix it failing and every patch note getting more and more desperate sounding. That was a team suffering.

Female characters having lower dps because they fucked up the animation timings. :lol:

Who can also forget every piece of quest equipment looking identical despite the fact they had a huge amount of gorgeous art assets. (still being used in this game too it seems)
Wish i knew what the reason for that was, I'm guessing it was a performance issue because the game ran like a dog.

Also...

bylam

Funcom
Developer
Who can also forget every piece of quest equipment looking identical despite the fact they had a huge amount of gorgeous art assets. (still being used in this game too it seems)
Wish i knew what the reason for that was, I'm guessing it was a performance issue because the game ran like a dog.
The reason was simply a terrible systems team.
For example, one systems designer said "People raid in WoW for like a 0.1% increase in DPS, so it is fine that we give out a very small DPS increase on items each level. People will want it anyway" - Hence shit leveling items.
Another example is that they changed the XP curve of the game about 4 weeks before launch. We had been working with an XP curve for about 6 months at that point, planned out the leveling curve around it including all of the content of the game (I was on the content team) and then a few weeks before launch they changed the curve because "people in the beta could reach level 80 in three days". They changed it, it created massive leveling gaps in the content and negatively affected the reputation of the game.
And finally, the best thing I ever heard working on AoC was the reasoning for having 80 levels - "because wow has 50 and having a higher number creates a better impression".

Fun times, but things got a lot better as time went on.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Fucking hell yeah, I remember the content gaps now - Globe trotting to scrape together every quest possible. Warhammer Online did the same thing by screwing with the curve just before release, and they suffered for it also.

Casuals make alts and play other classes if the endgame is delayed or raiding is a piss take, they won't if the levelling curve is like clamping testicles though.

I loved that game despite itself, there was something about trudging through nicely rendered tree high grass whilst beheading picts. When did you know it was fucked and that you probably wouldn't get a second chance with it?

I'll have to try it again.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
When did you know it was fucked and that you probably wouldn't get a second chance with it?
I think about 3 months after launch the sub numbers had dropped dramatically, so that was the point when management gave up the dream of being the new WoW.

I think when The Secret World did so spectacularly poorly at launch (undeservedly in my opinion) was when Conan kinda got bitten. I worked on the expansion - Rise of the Godslayer - and then the Conan team got moved to Montreal and I got put on The Secret World. There was still a sizeable team on Age of Conan when TSW launched and then there was a huge downsizing company wide.

Mortmal

Arcane
When did you know it was fucked and that you probably wouldn't get a second chance with it?
I think when The Secret World did so spectacularly poorly at launch (undeservedly in my opinion) was when Conan kinda got bitten. I worked on the expansion - Rise of the Godslayer - and then the Conan team got moved to Montreal and I got put on The Secret World. There was still a sizeable team on Age of Conan when TSW launched and then there was a huge downsizing company wide.

Ah but The secret world doing poorly was well deserved.. Cause it was too good and sophisticated for the mainstream.I remember having a lot of pleasure reading the lore, following the plot and solving the riddles , my friends too. However if you remember release day, the chat were spammed with people asking for the the solution to the very first riddles, the simpliest of the game.
The average joe is stupid, if world of warcraft, the msot successfull mmo ever, is designed that way and theres so much handholding there's a reason. There's also something else that killed both your games conan and secret world , the lack of end game content. World of warcraft and simillar MMO have raids , yes its stupid grindy, repetitive , but apprently people love to do those repetitive things to have a small% chance to get an equipment upgrades.They do not subscribe if they dont have that.

I think secret world would have done a lot better as some solo game like vampire the masquerade. No servers to maintain, and few DLC , skins and adventures pack to keep getting more cash.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
Ah but The secret world doing poorly was well deserved.. Cause it was too good and sophisticated for the mainstream.I remember having a lot of pleasure reading the lore, following the plot and solving the riddles , my friends too. However if you remember release day, the chat were spammed with people asking for the the solution to the very first riddles, the simpliest of the game.
Sure, but I don't think that accounts for the lack of sales as much as the competition from upcoming games (GW2 hype train) and ridiculous business model (subscription...in 2012?)

The average joe is stupid, if world of warcraft, the msot successfull mmo ever, is designed that way and theres so much handholding there's a reason. There's also something else that killed both your games conan and secret world , the lack of end game content. World of warcraft and simillar MMO have raids , yes its stupid grindy, repetitive , but apprently people love to do those repetitive things to have a small% chance to get an equipment upgrades.They do not subscribe if they dont have that.
Meh, both Conan and TSW had far more end game than WoW had at launch. And I know, I know, people don't compare games with how they were at launch with how they are now, but meh - I'd not put that down as the reason else GW2 would also have been a big failure. It had pretty much no end game.

I think secret world would have done a lot better as some solo game like vampire the masquerade. No servers to maintain, and few DLC , skins and adventures pack to keep getting more cash.
100% agree with this. But the old Funcom management didn't believe in single player after Dreamfall was pirated (never mind that it was a pretty poor game in many ways).

Sykar

Arcane

Funny what drove me away from WoW was the increased casualization and most prominently raids but also the killing of genuine world PvP.
What drove me away from TSW was the incredibly limited amount of skills I could use. (8 only, in a MMO, seriously?).

Stream from last Friday. Char creation, survival stuff, crafting and building, etc. Haven't really had an hour to view it in its entirety, but I think it looks fairly promising.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The character creation takes place with you being fucking crucified? Pretty wild.
Guess everyone gets to be on the Tree of Woe.
Wonder if we can kill vultures by biting them too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom