Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Conan Exiles - Funcom strikes again

bylam

Funcom
Developer
https://forums.funcom.com/t/call-to-arms-testlive-event-for-500-patch-delivery/23247

Nobody promised this patch by a specific date, btw, I think community said that we were aiming to have it out before summer vacation (last 3 weeks in July as discussed) and then they said that was in jeopardy because of the lack of scale testing. Which is difficult to do.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://pr.funcom.com/pressreleases/...astest-selling-game-in-funcom-history-2570639

Conan Exiles Is Now The Best-Selling And Fastest-Selling Game In Funcom History

Conan Exiles surpasses Funcom’s previous record of 1.4 million units sold of Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures in less than half the time–

– Funcom announces new DLC, Jewel of the West, coming early August + Funcom and Spike Chunsoft brings Conan Exiles to Japan on August 23rd –

Oslo, Norway – July5th, 2018 Funcom announced today that Conan Exiles, the recently launched open world survival game, is now both the best-selling and fastest-selling game in the company’s history. Conan Exiles has now surpassed Funcom’s previous record-holder, the 2008 massively multiplayer game Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures, which sold 1.4 million units by the time it went free-to-play three years after its initial release. Kicking off Early Access in January 2017 with full launch in May 2018, Conan Exiles broke this record in less than half that time.

To celebrate this achievement, Funcom today released a new Accolades Trailer for Conan Exiles:

After the success of the first DLC, The Imperial East, Funcom is also excited to announce that Jewel of the West, the second DLC for Conan Exiles, will be launching in early August. The downloadable content introduces new Aquilonia-themed building pieces, weapons, armor, furniture, and more. In Conan lore, Aquilonia is the center of the civilized world and its clothing and architecture is inspired by that of the real-world Romans. For more information about this upcoming DLC, check out the official Conan Exiles blog.

“In addition to the Jewel of the West, the team is also hard at work putting together one of our biggest free updates yet,” said Creative Director Joel Bylos. “Launching later this quarter, this update will introduce pets and taming to Conan Exiles, allowing players to find and tame anything from camels to panthers and even spiders and then use them to guard their base, carry resources, and more. This update will be free to all players on all platforms.”

Conan Exiles is currently available for purchase in several territories worldwide, either digitally or in retail. On August 23rd Conan Exiles will also be released on PlayStation 4 in Japan by Spike Chunsoft and it will be available in both retail stores and digitally on the PlayStation 4 store.

For more information about Conan Exiles, please visit www.conanexiles.com.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I have bought Badiya instead. The desert effects look as good as in Conan the Barbarian and there is not a badly programmed hyena lurking behind every stone.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Runs pretty well, but looks like shit. I see terrain pop-in and apparently I have to force resolution with a command option. But at least they have decent visibility ranges. and the map feels really large.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The big patch has been released, so all the fuzz was about nothing.

Meanwhile, I just started the game and after a few hours, the first impression is alright.
Graphics nice, audio nice, dong-slider nice.

What I can say already is that the grind seems way too heavy and that the respawning of... everything... is hilariously absurd.
I played an hour or so, started building a house. Started the game again the other day - and the rocks I mined before had respawned.
With plants, trees, animals, okay, but... Respawning rocks? :lol:
And this is in single player mode, so it's not like the server was running while I was gone.
I also saw a nest of eggs refill in front me while I was doing something else a few meters away.
All of these values can be set before you start a new game (to be slower/faster), but it makes sense to judge it by the default values.

At least the hunger & thirst loss isn't as absurd as in ARK.

Combat is meh - but also the best combat I played in a survival game like this. "Not total shit" is above average for the genre.
And the AI is as bonkers as everyone says it is, at least the animals AI.

Well, I can definitely see some awful and some nice things waiting for me down the line.

Last edited:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
And it popped up in Humble Monthly. I'm kinda interested in the reasoning if it's the best selling Funcom game in their history. Killer profit split?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
And it popped up in Humble Monthly. I'm kinda interested in the reasoning if it's the best selling Funcom game in their history. Killer profit split?
Kinda makes sense. I bet there are a lot of people wanting to try it out, but the mixed reviews keep them away at the current price. Those who didn't buy at the sale probably won't before it drops even lower -> Humble Monthly.
Though I have no idea what devs get for their games being in a monthly.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
So, I had about 15 hours with the game now and I think it deserves a fundamental "meh"/fine as a multiplayer game and a thumbs down as a single player game.

There is potential here. As I already said, graphics, audio, all very good.
The art style is well done.
The world invites you to explore.

But the meat of the game is held back either by bugs (yes, still) or horrible design.
While I liked the combat at the beginning, I started loathing it after a while. Enemy attacks cannot be interrupted (well, they can, but it seems random at best, so as a strategy it is worthless) - not even reliably with a friggin' two handed hammer which should excel at that.
Human enemies aren't bad, but they are cheating as they don't seem to be bound by any stamina as you are. Have fun attacking every now and then, conserving your stamina for dodging while enemies unleash a relentless fury of blows on you.
Beast behavior is just weird. They walk as in a 90s/early 2000s game, stepping in place while rotating around. Their attack ranges are all over the place - some don't hit you when they should, others knock you around with meters between you.
And don't you ever try to fight a large enemy. You won't be able to dodge half of the time as you simply get stuck INSIDE them. Which makes two-handed weapons absolutely shitty, you will want to use 1H + shield, at least that doesn't bug out like that.
Or you use bows. The least damage dealing bows in gaming history.

The worst must be knocking out thralls to try and drag them to your base - you can't just almost kill them and then deliver the final blow with a knockout weapon. No, there are two health bars and you must take the knockout bar down entirely with a knockout weapon - oh, and those suck, of course.
But when you have finally managed to do so, the real odyssey begins. You have to tie them up and drag them around using a rope.
You cannot climb while holding that rope (you just drop it when you do). You cannot swim while holding the rope (they'll drown). The ragdoll effect while you drag them through the mud is hilariously comical (look for some videos).
So you have to take long, safe, slow roads to drag them. Of course, the rope has a durability that lasts a few minutes, maybe.*
Oh, and since you will walk a long way, you will encounter enemies on your way back. So you need to drop your rope, obviously, and fight.
Good luck not hitting the tied up thrall by accident, killing him with one blow - same with enemy attacks.
And even if you manage all of that, somehow... sometimes the thralls just disappear into the ground.
I tried four times to get a thrall to my camp, all attempts failed due to bugs or "accidental" monster attacks where either I or the monster killed the thrall in one hit.

Why you can't just carry knocked out thralls on your shoulders and make them invulnerable to accidental attacks is completely beyond me. That would solve almost all problems with the current system.

* Everything in this game has an absurdly bad durability. A few hits with an 2H Iron Hammer and it breaks. An iron pickaxe? Done after 10-20 minutes of mining.
Couple that with the ridiculous amount of shit required to craft anything.
Just imagine this one: To craft a skinning knife, you need 20 (TWENTY!!!!) bars of iron. :lol:
Or this one: You need twenty skins/pelts to craft a bed that visually has one or two of them lying on top.
Also nice: 100 iron bars to craft a blacksmith table.
All of this leads to constant grinding that just isn't all that fun, in no game.

To further annoy players a bit, there is no automatic crafting of sub-steps. If crafting A requires materials B and C, but C has to be crafted, then you have to craft C manually before you can craft A. This is just unnecessary.

Also, I can't get over respawning rocks. If they would reappear differently, i.e. they break loose from a mountain and then you can mine them. But no, they respawn exactly the same way they were placed every time.

Building is okay, but also plagued by some bad design: For example, instead of crafting one basic block that you can transform into everything (foundation/wall/stairy, column, doorway, etc.) all of these are single items blowing up the list of craftables like crazy.
It is also impossible to place a ceiling over a doorway with a door in it. You gotta remove the door, place the ceiling, then you can add the door back in...
There are multiple variants of beds and bedsheets - all of which have exactly the same function, but differ A LOT in materials consumed. What's the point of that?
And of course, everything costs shitloads of materials. You basically need to move a mountain or clear a forest to build a single house.

I can tell that some of these problems are alleviated by playing in a team - but I don't give a fuck, I'm a single player guy playing an offline game. This shouldn't feel like playing the offline demo of a game that would require more players.
Also, some of these can be adjusted in server settings - but as I said before, a game should be judged on what devs think should be the default for everyone, at least in single player.
So, if you like to play on public servers and have some people to play with, I think it wouldn't be as bad as my experience was, maybe even worth it.

But to me? Naaah.
And I don't think the required changes to make it better will be done, as they would be rather fundamental. Unfulfilled potential is rarely achieved post release.
Maybe the bugs will gone at some point.

Conclusion:
In all but graphics, performance and audio, Conan Exiles is simply inferior to Empyrion - and that one is in alpha.
Sure, Empyrion can be clunky as fuck, but at least it doesn't annoy you with any of the things mentioned above. And what other game lets you start on a planet, looking at the moon, and eventually you will build a capital ship, fly through space, land on that moon, build a base there and start warping to other systems to explore those, using motor cycles and hover crafts for drilling through all the terrain? You could say that comes with the setting, but by far not all scifi games allow that kind of freedom. And don't tell me there couldn't be portals in a fantasy game leading to new worlds.
And despite being procedurally generated, I found exploring the world, finding and delving into dungeons and other special locations simply more rewarding (not in visuals, but in gameplay and, well, actual rewards).
Empyrion is also the first game since Morrowind that gave me the feeling of truly exploring a new world (or well, multiple ones, and moons).

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Empyrion is also the first game since Morrowind that gave me the feeling of truly exploring a new world (or well, multiple ones, and moons).
Haven't played Empyrion much, but Planet Explorers has a nice world.

Irata

Scholar
Anyone have experience with the "purge" mechanism in Conan? I don't have the imagination to create my own reasons for building (my inner child has been dead for awhile) so having to build a base that can withstand attacks could be interesting. 7 Days to Die has a similar feature, but I'd rather avoid zombies.

Irata

Scholar
Haha. Clever. I'll rephrase it. I'd prefer another setting than a zombie apocalypse.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

On the other note since i disinstalled the game from months now out of curiosity i checked what the developer team did meanwhile.

New god,pet system all of course in gamey mechanic that make feel the world like plastic.

Such a shame because this game had much potential but when devs are incompetent devs are incompetent.

Funcom: hey we are adding new content spending months on it! While you wait why you don't get your chance to have the cultural related material we promised in the early access campaign as part of the final game but instead as a PAID dlc?

I see they found enough time to release plenty of dlc already! :D

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Having pets is good, though.
I always like having pets in games.

:happytrollboy:

Our fondest memories of playing Ark are when we found a dino cute enough to make a pet.
It didn't stop shitting around (literally).
We named it Gustav the Pooper.
Good times.

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Jumped back into this after messing around with it after it was first released.

thesheep is pretty much correct. It's very grindy and the combat is wonky sometimes, but there's still fun to be had especially when doing multiplayer.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yeah, that's what I figured.

You can't spell "infuncompetence" without Funcom.

Bitching about Funcom is pretty nostalgic for me, reminds me of the days in the late 2000s when people on MMORPG forums would get mad about how shitty their latest game was, how long they were taking to implement the promised Anarchy Online visual upgrades, etc.

ortucis

Prophet
Are crocodiles able to actually swim and attack from the water yet?

Haha, when I played it in early access, I would find whole animal kingdom resting under a pond casually. You could swim upto them and kill them easily since Rhinos could walk on the surface of the pond normally, but they couldn't swim up like the player. :lol:

They can't even make the non amphibious animals swim properly, so Crocs are on a whole new level..

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
That reminds me, I don't think I ever posted a proper picture of my character from when we played earlier this year:

81ffb0ee74.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom