Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Conan Exiles - Funcom strikes again

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Will it feature tasteless done rape? Like you do with the conan IP :shittydog:

Neanderthal

Arcane
Fuck i'd love a good Conan game, someat that captured half mad an imaginative spirit o Howards short stories an not the popular image thats taken over. Moody, grim an doomed epic that yet laughs at itsen an fate, an sees the Cimmerian o titanic mirths an melancholies takin advantage o any opportunity to enrich imsen, to roister, carouse an whore in the ancient, decadent cesspits o Hyboria. To plumb the weird ruins of the vanished past that still haunted the Hyborian age, livin shadows that thirsted on blood an bone in empty old cities, islands where iron statues came alive in the moonlight, jungles where great apes that had failed to evolve roared in fury, and altars to forgotten gods guarded over by eldritch horrors that supped on sacrifices of human flesh.

Such a wealth o source material, pity.

Aenra

Your vague criticisms crouched in generalities

Internet is part of your job Joel. You know damn better than me about attention loss and what it leads to, proactively speaking included. Spare me the bullshitting that only works on the unintelligent or the overly young.
To humour you however, because you do have that smart ass tone everywhere, including the Funcom forums..
In so far as "generalities" over being specific, which part of my post was hard for you to nail down? Seeing how smart you are and all:

- Bugs a decade old and still ongoing?
- The company's constant hype aim at a 'different'/'qualitative' that is only undermined by all the mainstream elements it wraps it with?
- The fact that it lacks the design philosophy (thus far) to either achieve the above or adapt to its inadequacies?
- The fact that the above have been a constant dating back to Funcom's very inception?
(and i was being fair, as there are other things i could have mentioned. But am not into libel)

Again, spare me the bullshit. Won't work. Should you or should you not be able to reply differently/more openly due to your current position is irrelevant to the issue here. Downscaling valid points is something you appear at least to be very keen on doing. I too read your posts. For yeaaars. That smart ass tone i rather ineloquently mention above. Playing it lofty when you should take the silent route (because you know i DO know what i'm talking about) is for others Joel. And for other forums. Here people can and do respond ^^

Now in regard to improvements? Since you mentioned them? First we employ them, then we play smart ass. Until then it's hype.

edit: far as we can brand it game-related, my issue lies with the company, not you Joel. And as far as we can brand it personal, my issue lies with the way you chose to respond. Just in case it's not clear.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Don't see how open world survival game could work well with the Conan setting. Conan setting is more suited for storytelling games, while survival games need generic setting, where you can imagine yourself being anyone and anywhere. Example: imagine a survival game based on a WoD setting. Just the thought of it is ridiculous, it's a heavy storytelling-oriented setting, just like Conan.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Don't see how open world survival game could work well with the Conan setting. Conan setting is more suited for storytelling games, while survival games need generic setting, where you can imagine yourself being anyone and anywhere. Example: imagine a survival game based on a WoD setting. Just the thought of it is ridiculous, it's a heavy storytelling-oriented setting, just like Conan.
Lolwut? It's not the "storytelling" focus of WoD that makes it unsuitable for a survival game, but the fact it takes place in modern cities and there's massive infrastructure that takes care of people's needs, so survival is not a struggle at all unless there's something wrong with you.

Conan takes place in a primeval land full of wilderness and danger, that gives plenty of opportunity for a survival game.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
Internet is part of your job Joel. You know damn better than me about attention loss and what it leads to, proactively speaking included. Spare me the bullshitting that only works on the unintelligent or the overly young.
To humour you however, because you do have that smart ass tone everywhere, including the Funcom forums..
The problem is that whenever I am direct, people think I am being a "smart ass". I don't couch things in marketing speak (unless I am actually doing something for the marketing team). Call it bullshitting if you want to - it's kind of part and parcel with internet communication that people read text in whatever tone that they want to imagine.

- Bugs a decade old and still ongoing?
Without specifics it becomes difficult to discuss (and you are smart enough to know this). "My cloak clips through my mount" is a bug and WoW have been cool with that for a decade. So I think it is fair to ask for an example so the severity of the bug in question can be considered. And of course, it has to be AoC or AO based examples - only AO is a decade old and AoC is closing in.

- The company's constant hype aim at a 'different'/'qualitative' that is only undermined by all the mainstream elements it wraps it with?
I confess I don't understand this sentence at all. Isn't this just a very subjective statement about how you feel about the disparity between what you thought a feature would be and what it turned out to be? A lot of people do actually like playing Funcom games.

- The fact that it lacks the design philosophy (thus far) to either achieve the above or adapt to its inadequacies?
As if there are no other factors in game development than "design philosophy". How does this apply to Lego, for example?

- The fact that the above have been a constant dating back to Funcom's very inception?
I doubt that you are talking about anything made in the last couple of years. Humbly suggest you are talking about 2012 and earlier at the very least.

Again, spare me the bullshit. Won't work. Should you or should you not be able to reply differently/more openly due to your current position is irrelevant to the issue here. Downscaling valid points is something you appear at least to be very keen on doing. I too read your posts. For yeaaars. That smart ass tone i rather ineloquently mention above. Playing it lofty when you should take the silent route (because you know i DO know what i'm talking about) is for others Joel. And for other forums. Here people can and do respond ^^
This is the codex, I know how it works. I was here before I ever worked in the gaming industry. My "current position" is irrelevant here. We've discussed this "hold your silence" thing before. Sometimes I agree with you.

Now in regard to improvements? Since you mentioned them? First we employ them, then we play smart ass. Until then it's hype.
Or I just popped by to answer questions, like I said. If everything said before a game launches qualifies as hype...

edit: far as we can brand it game-related, my issue lies with the company, not you Joel. And as far as we can brand it personal, my issue lies with the way you chose to respond. Just in case it's not clear.
Nothing is personal on the internet. Less so on the Codex. Perhaps though, you can see why in a thread where I am answering questions you show up, call people who listen to me morons, and then take issue with my response seems slightly personal? Especially when you throw out a first name constantly to fish for a reaction?

We have two wildly different perspectives on Funcom, mine from the inside and yours from the outside. They are equally valid. I think people can see the dev tag next to my name and the company name beneath that so they do have the information they need to take everything with a grain of salt.

Raping won't be possible in the game (anyone who has read Howard knows he shied pretty well away from this too).

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Raping won't be possible in the game
wow its gonna be a tough sale now

anyway I'm actually a bit excited. besides the bugs and crappy class balance, I really enjoyed AoC when it launched. I've probably said it sucks, and that funcom sucks, over and over, but in hindsight AoC was pretty cool.
will the game have randomly generated land?
will there be underground caves and digging?

bylam

Funcom
Developer
Why did you replace a perfectly good first area in AO with a bad one?
Which time?
Generally it happens because the designers think AO start experience needs to be "modernized" every few years.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Which time?
Yeah I know it's not the first time. Last time wasn't great either, but this time it's really bad.
Every time it happens, you can just see that the game is in the hands of some "other people". Every time you change something in it, it looks like a kid doodled something on a painting of a great artist.

Everyone knows you have abandoned the game, but you keep changing the first area for some reason like it's supposed to benefit the game. The game is 15 years old, everything's changed in 15 years - people wear different things, different haircuts, the entire culture changed and the game represents what gaming used to be 15 years ago, you can't just "modernize" it by changing the first area, it's like trying to modernize Picasso.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
Everyone knows you have abandoned the game, but you keep changing the first area for some reason like it's supposed to benefit the game. The game is 15 years old, everything's changed in 15 years - people wear different things, different haircuts, the entire culture changed and the game represents what gaming used to be 15 years ago, you can't just "modernize" it by changing the first area, it's like trying to modernize Picasso.
I don't really disagree with this sentiment except perhaps the "abandoned the game" part. People still work on AO. Literally released the Dark Ruins area to the test server a couple of days ago.
Redoing the opening area is an arrogance thing. People always think they are improving things.

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
I really like the idea of some kind of "medieval" "Dayz"...
The biggest problem with this is that Dayz (MOD) was the only half decent one, the standalone is horrible.
If it goes in the wrong direction: Rust & Rustlikes it will be horrible, those games are the definition of no-life-games
anything fun is only possible if you have 20 people and someone being online 24/7, otherwise you will just get
your shit fucked while you are asleep. PvE servers make no sense in these games since there is no pve content.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fuck i'd love a good Conan game, someat that captured half mad an imaginative spirit o Howards short stories an not the popular image thats taken over. Moody, grim an doomed epic that yet laughs at itsen an fate, an sees the Cimmerian o titanic mirths an melancholies takin advantage o any opportunity to enrich imsen, to roister, carouse an whore in the ancient, decadent cesspits o Hyboria. To plumb the weird ruins of the vanished past that still haunted the Hyborian age, livin shadows that thirsted on blood an bone in empty old cities, islands where iron statues came alive in the moonlight, jungles where great apes that had failed to evolve roared in fury, and altars to forgotten gods guarded over by eldritch horrors that supped on sacrifices of human flesh.

Such a wealth o source material, pity.
Gigantic melancholies, mate. Elsewise :bro: for the post.

Aenra

bylam you got annoyed because someone interfered when you came here to peddle your wares. You've only yourself to blame for that, this isn't the Funcom forums. You want to peddle, here? Go nuts. Just (precisely because this is NOT your forum) do keep in mind that others can pop in too, if only to remind folks just what a past this company has. Or what it means when despite said notorious past, they still do not get the picture. Worse, some appear to refuse to acknowledge it. So yes, when after title after title, people still don't get it, i do call them morons.

You move on to tell me that the issues i am mentioning are evident in games before 2012? And? Are they still not online, active? You people don't even have the 'single player game' excuse, there is --supposedly-- an active team working on them still. "Online, ongoing" development. And yet you tell me 'that's ok, they are games made before 2012? How dare you, lol.. So what if they are?
As far as Lego (post 2012, just to go with your reasoning) is concerned, which you mention as an example of what? Funcom's turnaround? Is that why Lego sank? Why you had to renew/extend loans? Why you had to publicise shitty yearlies? Again? Why even after you switched its model, it's still down the shitter? That is your argument? Lego?

You work there, i get it. They moved you on to the new Conan game, it's your baby now. I get it (btw, i also think you've already done much, much better than any of the previous directors). What you seem to be neglecting is that until hype and empty promises result in something tangible, one has only the past to go by. And whether you like it or not, this company's past is bad. Shady, if on top of the bad we add certain financial .."adventures".. it has had? Some stock exchange frauds, you know, everyday stuff really. Who here does not embezzle a couple of millions now and then. Right?

Peddle away. If the gems you offer to the indigenous end up being of some worth, we'll all be here to say wtf, they actually did it right from the start for once. Just keep in mind what facts we have, and how much they allow for a positive thinking. Sorry to break your bubble. And sorry for you, if you are incapable of factoring the above prior to comprehending just why trust is in such short supplies.
Good luck with your new baby. Curious to see if you will be around after it launches, if it fails to live up to the expectations YOU create for it. Should that occur, will you still log in to the Codex to answer? To be seen. Until then, yes, replies based on nothing but "dev promises" and served on a platter of partly concealed sarcasm do bring the term 'smart ass' in mind. I mentioned it before, some things you should only do after you got something concrete to show for. Not prior.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
you got annoyed because someone interfered when you came here to peddle your wares. You've only yourself to blame for that, this isn't the Funcom forums. You want to peddle, here? Go nuts. Just (precisely because this is NOT your forum) do keep in mind that others can pop in too, if only to remind folks just what a past this company has. Or what it means when despite said notorious past, they still do not get the picture. Worse, some appear to refuse to acknowledge it. So yes, when after title after title, people still don't get it, i do call them morons.
For anyone who can read it is obvious there has been no peddling in this thread. I have answered some questions after Infinitron asked me to say something. You do understand how discussions work, right? You made a statement and I replied to it. I'm still mildly amused.

You move on to tell me that the issues i am mentioning are evident in games before 2012? And? Are they still not online, active? You people don't even have the 'single player game' excuse, there is --supposedly-- an active team working on them still. "Online, ongoing" development. And yet you tell me 'that's ok, they are games made before 2012? How dare you, lol.. So what if they are?
Reading comprehension? If you are going to cite "decades old" bugs you need to provide examples so people can judge their severity. I gave an example from WoW which nobody would give a shit about.
It has to be wilful misreading of what I wrote to say I somehow said it was okay? How much of my post did you ignore to draw that conclusion?

As far as Lego (post 2012, just to go with your reasoning) is concerned, which you mention as an example of what? Funcom's turnaround? Is that why Lego sank? Why you had to renew/extend loans? Why you had to publicise shitty yearlies? Again? Why even after you switched its model, it's still down the shitter? That is your argument? Lego?
So we're discussing this from an *investor* perspective? I thought you were talking about how we hyped our "different" gameplay and then failed to deliver due to mainstream wrappings? Lego doesn't fit your narrative which is why it was mentioned. I don't recall calling it a financial success. Shifting the goalposts doesn't help the discussion (or your point).

You work there, i get it. They moved you on to the new Conan game, it's your baby now. I get it (btw, i also think you've already done much, much better than any of the previous directors).
As for my baby - well that's a bit of a joke. I have wanted to make a proper single player RPG since I started in the industry. And Funcom doesn't make them (and I can't move due to family). But luckily I am a professional and I bring my best to every game I work on. So as you see, projecting my motivations (much like my tone) doesn't really pan out. The ole internet, it's mostly guesswork.

What you seem to be neglecting is that until hype and empty promises result in something tangible, one has only the past to go by.
All that hype the last few years. Lego, The Park - we totally hyped the shit out of those games. In fact even The Secret World was notable for its lack of hype. Empty promises - well I am always happy to explain why something doesn't make the cut. Whether those answers satisfy people is a different story.

And whether you like it or not, this company's past is bad. Shady, if on top of the bad we add certain financial .."adventures".. it has had? Some stock exchange frauds, you know, everyday stuff really. Who here does not embezzle a couple of millions now and then. Right?
Oh? You'll have to show me the guilty verdict? Do you hire a lawyer and go to court when you get parking tickets or do you simply pay the fine and get on with your life? Which is a better choice for the shareholders in a company? Legalities are black and white, clearly.

Peddle away. If the gems you offer to the indigenous end up being of some worth, we'll all be here to say wtf, they actually did it right from the start for once. Just keep in mind what facts we have, and how much they allow for a positive thinking. Sorry to break your bubble. And sorry for you, if you are incapable of factoring the above prior to comprehending just why trust is in such short supplies.
This is where I have the greatest disconnect with you - you see this as some sort of "trust" building exercise. I see it as purely informative (as should be seen by the lack of "OMG DIS GAEM ROX" comments on my behalf). Congratulations on saving people from my nefarious agenda of providing the curious with information about the game.
Fuck me, this is the codex, if the game was a huge success people would still absolutely fucking hate it here. Think rationally about your "peddling" comments - I came to a forum dedicated to hardcore RPG players to peddle an MMO. Oh and I incidentally joined that forum a decade ago? Wouldn't I be on an MMO forum like MMORPG.com if that was the case?

Curious to see if you will be around after it launches, if it fails to live up to the expectations YOU create for it. Should that occur, will you still log in to the Codex to answer? To be seen. Until then, yes, replies based on nothing but "dev promises" and served on a platter of partly concealed sarcasm do bring the term 'smart ass' in mind. I mentioned it before, some things you should only do after you got something concrete to show for. Not prior.
I read the codex and occasionally post because of my personal interest in the type of games covered here. A game that I work on failing is hardly going to stop me posting here. Me being fired is hardly likely to stop that either (I'd have more time to shitpost). Go see The Park thread if you want - people laughed at me and called it shit. Hurt feelings all around.

And as for a "platter of partly concealed sarcasm" (nice phrasing by the way) I really didn't see it as such. It was pretty much directly saying "stop making vague, general comments and make a statement" so I can answer you directly.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Not sure what marketing have planned in terms of "information reveals" but ask questions and I will answer what I can.

Will single player mode be story driven with premade character?

Any plans to implement weather system that influence player?

Also you should seriously consider making game moddable and provide a good mod tools. IF PC gaming has thought us anything its that good modding community can not only prolong shelf life of a game but attract larger audience.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
At the moment the single player stuff is "run the game locally".
Weather stuff is still in design phase, so i can't comment on scope/size of that.

I agree about the modding - we're using Unreal 4 so we can probably do something similar to what Ark does with the mods. That will also depend on how things are shaping up closer to Early Access, of course.

Aenra

bylam i don't 'see' in black and white :)
Same way i can say all the above and still have no issue stating (on my own) that you did the best job in that spot, whomsoever i compare you with. See?
I am not accusing you of coming here to misinform the masses, evil smirk on your face. Hell, my original post was about Funcom and be mindful/wary, don't go about it again. That you got yourself occupied there is neither my fault nor a consideration i find me in need of taking prior to doing my part. Reminding people. You get paid to make games..i pay so as to receive shit 99% of the time. Far as MMOs are concerned.

It comes off as hostile, but the truth is with almost zero legal regulation and everyone capable of selling whatever they please..it's how we got to where we are, MMOs-wise. And i believe you are fully aware of that. Which brings me to the last bit..i could be analytic, with precise examples. Something tells me that many here would not know what i'd be talking about. Something also tells me that it would be pointless (should have been at least) making a wall of text denoting each and every issue/concept i have come across in each and every Funcom product (and if you don't remember me from the forums, trust me, i got plenty of time spent in all of them). Said walls of text already exist anyway. Spare me the 'give me arguments' speech.

I acknowledge your position (figuratively and literally) and so will leave end this here. Their money end of the day.
Best of luck once again. A-la Ark modding support would be awesome btw

Vandringsmann

Literate
I like what I've learned so far. A few questions:

1) Will you have to engage in combat in order to gain experience and make progress? Or can you advance as for example a rogue-like character who evades combat and focuses more on scavenging and stealing?

2) Will the setting be low-magic, or will anyone be able to learn magic and run around casting fireballs?

3) What geographical area will the game be limited to at launch? The screenshots I've seen have all been from arid desert areas.

4) Will there be climbing, swimming and diving?

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
One simple question, will this be like Rust so that everything you do can be destroyed while you are offline?

Norfleet

If you're playing a game where everything you do can be destroyed while offline, you'd best get used to NEVER SLEEPING. I used to annoy the shit out of people who expected that my silence meant that I had gone to sleep...only to discover that I was there...just...waiting. Because I do not sleep. I wait. Those games are what gave me the rampant insomnia I have to this day. CAN'T SLEEP, CLOWNS WILL EAT ME.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
bylam you got annoyed because someone interfered when you came here to peddle your wares.

Jesus, bylam just told me that there will be some more announcements this year that will be more to my liking, there was no peddling here. And you immediately attacked him with a hacksaw. Like you have a personal vendetta against funcom.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom